Article: Do we really need Lynch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
chris98251":14cx1bvg said:
If you are young enough to remember John Riggins and Earl Campbell then you know what losing a runner of that style can do to a teams identity. Czonka with the Dolphins as well. You don't have the same respect for a runner that avoids a blow versus giving one and it changes your teams dynamics.

From his highlights in college at least, I don't get the impression that Michael avoids contact. There were quite a few plays where he just lowers his pads and takes out a guy.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I know I'm in the minority but I think Michael is an elite talent and we would be fine. No one is Lynch and he's probably the best physical runner in the league but Michael has a unique skillset in his own right. I agree with Sac on the 2.5 above replacement but I think Michael is far above replacement level. The offense might open up a little more(Roland will be happy) but I'm not sure we take a step back because of it. Running backs are the easiest position to predict and multiple scouts have said things like the best back to enter the league in 5 years, AP clone etc. I'm not sure if those are accurate or not but its telling in its own right.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Regardless of anyone's opinion of the writer, the article states the situation pretty well imo. The only thing that would have made it better is if he wrote, "Do they need Marshawn Lynch? Yes and No." They need the contributions of the various talented players on the team to make the team what it is. Do they need any one player? Not really. One could make a fairly strong case that the Hawks need Russell Wilson, Lynch, Sherman, E. Thomas, Chancellor, etc. And for good reason. But, they can continue playing at a high level with the depth they have.

On a side note: There have been players who have "held out" of camp in years past only to report in enough time to get ready for the real games. Part of me wonders if all this blow up is just feeding the media and just more of a way of keeping the wheels in the garage a bit longer and preserved for the road trip. Players have long argued that the pre-season is too long / too many games. If I could name just one player in the entire NFL that this sort of "hold out" would benefit (esp after coming off a Super Bowl extended season)... it would be Marshawn Lynch.

But, back to where I was going with this... Lynch's absence may change the identity of the team, but not necessarily affect the success. Are they successful in part due to Lynch in the backfield? Yes. Would they miss him if he chooses to not honor his contract? Certainly. But, while this isn't the exact situation with the beloved Shaun Alexander, I don't want to see the team repeating the mistake of over-paying for a back on the high(er) end of miles - especially one that already has a contract that shouldn't be offensive to a top-5 back. (Before anyone scoffs at that - make sure you re-read the first part. I'm not saying players shouldn't get all they can while they can. Nothing necessarily wrong with that and not my argument. It's more all things considered - his lack of true leverage.) The business side of this game is not being unfair to Beastmode.

Remember your own words Marshawn, "They gonna have to stop all of us. We got some Dawgs." You're certainly among them and of course the Seahawks need you, if you want to be part of this.

Brian Dawkins was on Mike and Mike this morning and when speaking about competing contracts brought up a good point. Someone's contract is always going to be exceeded by another premier player depending on when each players contract is up for renewal. I think the discussion was about the top paid DB's, but the point he made applies. I can't pretend to know the exact reason Marshawn is doing this. But, even if his motives are reasonable enough... on the outside looking in as a fan... he's going about it the wrong way. I know he's a team player. And because he is... he needs to get his butt in with the fellas and represent as a grateful defending Super Bowl Champion.

The only leverage Marshawn will have is if something happens to either Turbin or Michael while getting their opportunities to take his job in pre-season. Otherwise, I think he reports near the end of pre-season and gets his "raise" (well, of sorts - the team can choose to not enforce the fines and he saves himself a couple mil that way and comes in for the regular season and probably doesn't miss a beat.) Again (and as we all all know), he had a longer season so the extra rest / or preserving him from less necessary work at this point in his career might do his legs good.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
austinslater25":sx46og6g said:
I know I'm in the minority but I think Michael is an elite talent and we would be fine. No one is Lynch and he's probably the best physical runner in the league but Michael has a unique skillset in his own right. I agree with Sac on the 2.5 above replacement but I think Michael is far above replacement level. The offense might open up a little more(Roland will be happy) but I'm not sure we take a step back because of it. Running backs are the easiest position to predict and multiple scouts have said things like the best back to enter the league in 5 years, AP clone etc. I'm not sure if those are accurate or not but its telling in its own right.

Oh, I agree Michael is going to explode onto the scene - but, I want too see teams try to stop both those guys. Especially since contractually Beastmode is paid (and not paid unfairly even considering his stature.) Yeah, the Hawks would be fine. But, we all agree even better with Marshawn.

And yes, I agree the offense would look a bit different. The offense wouldn't likely be as predictable. So, in that regard, it's sort of exciting to think about the possibility. Because of this, the Seahawks are really not in a true bad position. That's what they mean when they say they are built for this sort of thing to happen. They want their contractually obligated players to honor their contracts and be part of this thing, but they have done their part.

Players can ask for a raise, but we all saw that leverage has to be there with the off-season new contracts, extensions and players lost. Marshawn's leverage is... he's Marshawn. That gets everyone's attention, but then the "what if's" are considered. As I said in my other post, only something with either Turbin or Michael in pre-season would give Lynch more leverage. Otherwise, I don't think he truly has a case.

45Hawker

Reaction score
Interesting counter article:

Projecting running backs is not an exact science, but if you believe Lynch will be a top-five running back this season in terms of influencing his team’s ability to win then he will be worth $14.9 million per year. If you feel he will be ranked in the bottom half of the Top 10, then that value drops to $8.4 million. Lynch would have to to put in a season where he was ranked just outside the Top 10 to give Seattle fair value for his cap hit.

In other words, Lynch is underpaid.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ceived-full-value-on-marshawn-lynch-contract/

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Do we NEED Lynch.

For a chance at SB Repeat - 100%

For a chance to be remain Playoff/SB Contenders for the next 5-10 years - 10-40% - Because he will only aid the results of this season, and POSSIBLY next season assuming he played so awesome this season that we CAN'T cut him next season.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I think the better question for Seahawks fans is "Do We Need Blount?" From the articles I've seen and the fan reactions, I'd say that answer is a resounding NO

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
How long do we want to continue to pounding this 4.2 ypc hammer?
How long must we shelf our future talents who are in their rookie contracts?
Should we attempt to replicate last year's model or evolve?

v1rotv2

Reaction score
I think what gets lost here is that PC will plan with Lynch or without Lynch. This offense can not be dependent on one player. If so we are in deep trouble. The minds that brought Lynch here will still be here when Lynch is gone.

NinjaHawk38

Reaction score
IMO: Marshawn is Beastmode and with the backs/personnel we have they are Team Beastmode. But it all comes down to money. I think we can survive.

naholmes

Reaction score
The problem is that Michael, although talented, is unproven and Turbin has proven that he's nothing more than a replacement level player. It seems clear that the organization's goal heading into the season was to give Michael a share of the workload in a committee situation and then, should he prove himself, cut Lynch next off season. It's easy to have confidence in that committee when it contains Lynch, but not so much without him.

It's disappointing that it has come to this, but it's tough for me to blame either side since this is just the business side of the NFL. Hopefully it will get resolved and Lynch plays for the team this season. Otherwise, I'd expect them to bring in a veteran running back to round out the committee headed by Michael. Somebody like BenJarvus Green-Ellis could make sense.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
-The Glove-":3vq2qw5x said:
Do we want to have to find out?
I certainly don't, because I love the guy, BUT, JS has already given Lynch a pretty sweet contract, which ML himself was perfectly fine with, until paycheck envy struck, and now wants to milk the Seahawks, and take everything off on a new tangent.
I don't know that it's entirely about the money, or if Marshawn wants to be the sole Back, and not have to share the carries.( committee )
It just looks to me like Marshawn wants to control how JS makes his decisions, and ain't happy that it's not working out that way.
Both Pete Carroll and John Schneider have proven their success by not deviating from their original plan.
Stay on track JS, you've already shown your love and respect to Marshawn by paying him top 5 money.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Yes because if CMIKE got hurt w/o Lynch we'd be screwed. Do we really want to watch Turbin rumble for 3 yards and fall over 240 times a year?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":1pvzeas7 said:
How long do we want to continue to pounding this 4.2 ypc hammer?
How long must we shelf our future talents who are in their rookie contracts?
Should we attempt to replicate last year's model or evolve?

We're not shelving them. You should know the team's model is all about competition. If any of the other guys were better than Lynch, they'd get the bulk of the carries.

So to answer your question: as long as he's our best option

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Can we win without him? Yes.
Are we a better team with him? Also yes.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Can we win without Lynch ? Yes.

Will it negatively affect us if he doesn't play ? yes.

I personally think Lynch has 2-3 good years left. Lynch has a unique style of running that isn't replicated by anyone else in the league. It's an unorthodox style that's very hard to get used to. Kearly called it a "drunken master" running style once, and I like that analogy. Lynch can truck you, he's fast enough to make the corner, he can flat out juke you, stiff arm you to the ground, and he's a very underrated receiver out of the backfield. He's probably also our best pass blocking RB.

I know it's a weird comparison, but Lynch is like a larger, stronger Barry Sanders without the high end speed (look at that highlight where he breaks Ray Lewis's ankles). Due to his unique running style, he can still be effective as he doesn't rely on speed as much as most other RBs. He's also been the most effective RB against the Niners in the past 3 years.

It's impossible to tell if Lynch wants more money, wants to guarantee the money on his contract, wants more years, or just wants some security to be able to ride out his career here. I would hope the FO could talk to him, allay some of his fears, and be willing to ride this horse until it can't run anymore.

jake206

Reaction score
You'll see this pre-season, how badly we do need him. Our OL is still a mess, and none of the other defenses respect any of our running backs except for Beast. None of our backs threaten defenses like him...8 man in the box..no problem. Beast run on that all day. However no Beast mode, defenses will be stacking the line and stifling this offense, which is predicated on running the ball With all due respect to Turbin and C. Mike, Marshawn is the one one player who is not replaceable on this offense.

General Manager

Reaction score
All you have to do is look at the huge games he's had in the regular season and the playoffs against NO and SF. The SB I'm not sure he even got a carry in the 4rth quarter so the answer is hell yes we need Lynch until someone else proves it we need him.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Blount has been writing stupid shit for a while.

He didn't suddenly get smart with this POS article.

Status
Not open for further replies.