Article: Do we really need Lynch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony!

Reaction score
jake206":1c6o7cch said:
You'll see this pre-season, how badly we do need him. Our OL is still a mess, and none of the other defenses respect any of our running backs except for Beast. None of our backs threaten defenses like him...8 man in the box..no problem. Beast run on that all day. However no Beast mode, defenses will be stacking the line and stifling this offense, which is predicated on running the ball With all due respect to Turbin and C. Mike, Marshawn is the one one player who is not replaceable on this offense.

The only way we miss Lynch is if PC is unwilling to uncork RW. We saw in the SB what we can do with almost no run game and Rw being allowed to be RW. I know someone will say but that is with 8 in the box all the time, which would be wrong

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... n-the-box/

Lynch saw 8 in the box on 21.27% of the time which was 19th in the league. That was in Rw rookie year and did not go up in RWs 2nd year. While I agree we are better with Lynch at least from a running perspective, if PC allows RW to be RW we will be fine.

Not counting the playoffs
we were 7-2 when ML avg under 4 ypc
We were 7-2 when he got under 20 carries
we were 11-2 when he ran for under 100 yards
He avg over 4ypc in 6 games, under 4 ypc in 10
He only got 20 carries in 7 games
Our best scoring game he only carried 17 times for 69 yards
we scored more than 30 points 5 times and he got over 100 carries in only 1 time

Again we are better with him if PC sticks to run first, We are as good or better if PC opens it up for the pass more. SO it will depend on how hard headed PC is if we do not have lynch. I think PC was already going to go to 50/50 which means more passing, I think no ML will mean 55/45 pass or more. Other wise you would be taking the ball out of your best players hand, that being RW. We will still run but it will be by committee, RW, Harvin, and the 2 backs, but we will throw 55+%

jake206

Reaction score
If Hawks open up the offense, RW is going to get pounded. Hell he got pounded last year anyway. With no Marshawn and 1/2 the new OL still "learning" Cable's system, I think odds are Hawks offense is going to get stymied without a run game, unless they resort to trick plays. Percy might equalize this a little, but even then, those sorts of tactics will only last for so long during the regular season. Injuries tend to mount up fairly quickly as it gets later in the season. Marshawn is one of the few backs that can offset a subpar line. Heck I think we ran best with him in single back rather than two back. Hopefully, Beastmode can get into camp, so that none of the unfortunate stuff doesn't happen.

Anthony!

Reaction score
jake206":1clsmvwy said:
If Hawks open up the offense, RW is going to get pounded. Hell he got pounded last year anyway. With no Marshawn and 1/2 the new OL still "learning" Cable's system, I think odds are Hawks offense is going to get stymied without a run game, unless they resort to trick plays. Percy might equalize this a little, but even then, those sorts of tactics will only last for so long during the regular season. Injuries tend to mount up fairly quickly as it gets later in the season. Marshawn is one of the few backs that can offset a subpar line. Heck I think we ran best with him in single back rather than two back. Hopefully, Beastmode can get into camp, so that none of the unfortunate stuff doesn't happen.

Not sure I agree last year we did not do a lot of quick hit pass plays every thing we designed to go down field, now they seem to be working on quick hit ones, which can more than make up for lack of time and run game and again we are presuming a huge drop off, which I am not so sure will be the case. Let me remind you we were a top 10 run blocking o-line last year according to football outsiders, which means MLs hard nose running was not part of the equation it was all o-line. So if our o-lien stays the same at run blocking and get a little better at pass blocking and we had quick hitters I believe we will be fine and in fact will probably surprise a lot of people. In the meantime the reality is ML is probably gone after this year anyway, so why not see what we got without him now.

Sac

Reaction score
I think as Seahawks fans we're all accustomed to having something to be overly worried about.

chris98251

Reaction score
Anthony!":30w8ngtz said:
jake206":30w8ngtz said:
You'll see this pre-season, how badly we do need him. Our OL is still a mess, and none of the other defenses respect any of our running backs except for Beast. None of our backs threaten defenses like him...8 man in the box..no problem. Beast run on that all day. However no Beast mode, defenses will be stacking the line and stifling this offense, which is predicated on running the ball With all due respect to Turbin and C. Mike, Marshawn is the one one player who is not replaceable on this offense.

The only way we miss Lynch is if PC is unwilling to uncork RW. We saw in the SB what we can do with almost no run game and Rw being allowed to be RW. I know someone will say but that is with 8 in the box all the time, which would be wrong

Lynch saw 8 in the box on 21.27% of the time which was 19th in the league. That was in Rw rookie year and did not go up in RWs 2nd year. While I agree we are better with Lynch at least from a running perspective, if PC allows RW to be RW we will be fine.

we scored more than 30 points 5 times and he got over 100 carries in only 1 time

Again we are better with him if PC sticks to run first, We are as good or better if PC opens it up for the pass more. SO it will depend on how hard headed PC is if we do not have lynch. I think PC was already going to go to 50/50 which means more passing, I think no ML will mean 55/45 pass or more. Other wise you would be taking the ball out of your best players hand, that being RW. We will still run but it will be by committee, RW, Harvin, and the 2 backs, but we will throw 55+%

Did you factor in the defense we were playing against and what the strengths were, are they primary run or a pass defense what is their strengths and what type of defense, 3, 4 or 4, 3 etc, those are tangibles that a Offense will look at and use the run to keep them honest and exploit the pass or use the pass to exploit the run .

Anthony!

Reaction score
chris98251":1nvyiizc said:
Anthony!":1nvyiizc said:
jake206":1nvyiizc said:

Again we are better with him if PC sticks to run first, We are as good or better if PC opens it up for the pass more. So it will depend on how hard headed PC is if we do not have lynch. I think PC was already going to go to 50/50 which means more passing, I think no ML will mean 55/45 pass or more. Other wise you would be taking the ball out of your best players hand, that being RW. We will still run but it will be by committee, RW, Harvin, and the 2 backs, but we will throw 55+%

Did you factor in the defense we were playing against and what the strengths were, are they primary run or a pass defense what is their strengths and what type of defense, 3, 4 or 4, 3 etc, those are tangibles that a Offense will look at and use the run to keep them honest and exploit the pass or use the pass to exploit the run .

Really those are the facts period, we will still face the same 3 teams in the NFC west all very good run defenses, and if as some of you think our passing game is all about other teams putting 8 in the box then as I showed that is wrong. Any team is going to want to run when they do not think we will run, and pass when they do not think we will pass. I do not need to go through every game and every play to make the point that Lynch while he definitely make us better if we stick to the run first offense, if we change to a more balanced of slightly pass first like in the SB we will be as good or better. OR to the make the point that Lynch struggled last year a lot and we won even when he struggled.

General Manager

Reaction score
The answer is obvious to anyone with an ounce of common sense but the question is now moot he will be the starting RB for Seattle this season.

Anthony!

Reaction score
General Manager":3gelxan0 said:
The answer is obvious to anyone with an ounce of common sense but the question is now moot he will be the starting RB for Seattle this season.

I agree it does not matter now, except next year we will find out.

General Manager

Reaction score
Anthony!":30t3ejnc said:
chris98251":30t3ejnc said:
So the answer is no then.

The answer is do it yourself, and until you do my facts stands

All your facts tell me is they win with Lynch on the field. You can parse numbers a ton of different ways you haven't proven anything Anthony.

Anthony!

Reaction score
General Manager":3ln3ir2u said:
Anthony!":3ln3ir2u said:
chris98251":3ln3ir2u said:
So the answer is no then.

The answer is do it yourself, and until you do my facts stands

All your facts tell me is they win with Lynch on the field. You can parse numbers a ton of different ways you haven't proven anything Anthony.

Actually I have under you notion we can say we win with anyone that played all season, does not mean we cannot win without them. I showed we can win with ML having little to no impact, if we can win with him having little to no impact then we can win without him, and that is the point, Of course now it does not matter does it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts