Article on who the Seahawks could target in free agency

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Thing is Earl will get paid and he will be the highest paid but I've heard nothing about any extension let alone a solid number. The only information out there is that Bennett is looking for 10 million a year.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Im not predicting anything. I said there is a report out there that he is going to be more difficult to sign than thought because he (his agent) wants more tham just top safety money. Which would be 10 plus.

My prediction is ???????

And Jimmy Graham being paid as a TE is a joke considerimg he lines up outside more times than not and couldnt block an end to save his life.

Subzero717

Reaction score
F it. Cut him. When looking for the article I found one on sfgate where Thomas talks about how special Kap is. Let him go. FS is now priority one in the draft.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hehe. He's not going anywhere but neither will he get the number his agent is putting out there, from us or anyone else. I figure 8-9ish million/5 years closes the deal.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
If Thomas wants 12 mil per, you have to give it to him.

Good Bye, Richard Sherman extension.

Hello, Byron Maxwell...how do you feel about $7-8 per and becoming our number 1 CB?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
So now it's 12 million? F-that. Again no ACTUAL number has been floated beyond his agent's fever dream NONE!

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Probably because its fun to speculate... at least for me. Whatever the team does, whatever choices they make, that's up to them... I'm all aboard either way but it doesn't mean fans can't do what fans do.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":4leg5t1q said:
I just figured play-maker money meant about $12 mil.
Awesome I figure "playmaker" in context of NFL SAFETIES means 9-9.5 million at best. Isn't opinion fun? (It is but that's irrelevant).:)

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Playmakers win games, Teams win championships.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Well Troy P from the graph I just read made 9.8 last year if Im reading it correctly. The number in the article I was looking at which I need to find states he will be more difficult to sign than expected because of his "value." If Troy truly did make 9.8 last year, then Earl wanting 10 or slightly over isnt so crazy. On top of the fact that the defense is built around having a centerfielder with his range. I have no doubt they will wotk it out and Earl stays and his contract will be what it is.

Mizzou what were you saying about the Saints v Denver statement I made. I was eluding to the fact that Denver was throwing underneath routes to avoid throwing towards Earl giving Kam a highlight reel of huge hits. Sherm well, no one throws his way Earl or not.

chrispy

Reaction score
You have to look at it from both points of view. No matter what he wants, the most he can reasonably ask for is what he thinks he can get elsewhere. No one, anywhere, is going to pay a Safety 12 mil/yr. That, even if "he's worth it." There's no reason to pay that much unless that single player can individually win games. Going to a new system Thomas is probably less valuable for the first couple years. So pay him as the #1 Safety in the League, which is about 8.5 mil/yr currently (Eric Berry salary according to spotrac.com) or 9.1 mil avg per yr over a 4yr contract (Polamalu). If he wants to test the market, use the franchise tag for two years (8.4 mil according to wikipedia). That would give the Seahawks 3 years to find a replacement. I think that's 2 thousand roster moves so....

Bottom line is that Thomas is and should be a priority but he can't make either 10 or 12 mil/yr anywhere on the planet playing Safety. There's no reason to extent him to that money when the Hawks can have him for less with the Franchise tag for 2 years after his contract expires. Sign him to reasonable money or use the next few years to find his replacement, or (in reality) both.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2meku2fc said:
And Jimmy Graham being paid as a TE is a joke considerimg he lines up outside more times than not and couldnt block an end to save his life.

But if Graham wants to be paid like a WR, then he should be denied the spoils of being a TE. I guarantee you he is using his Pro Bowl or All-Pro selections as a leverage point to get more money. How many of those does he have because he is designated a TE? My initial guess is he'd be lucky to have one Pro Bowl under his belt if he was a WR.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Seanhawk":17igbcri said:
CALIHAWK1":17igbcri said:

But if Graham wants to be paid like a WR, then he should be denied the spoils of being a TE. I guarantee you he is using his Pro Bowl or All-Pro selections as a leverage point to get more money. How many of those does he have because he is designated a TE? My initial guess is he'd be lucky to have one Pro Bowl under his belt if he was a WR.

Seeing how he got franchise tagged he isnt using eithet for anything. On top of that if you look at what Sidney Rice has made what All Pro or Pro Bowls did he use as leverager to get his $$$$$? Is/was Graham a more important piece of what NO does to what Rice did for us? I dont think FO's put a ton of stock into PB's and AP's. They put stock into on field value.

Also Graham didnt even make Pro Bowl this year. Thats what a joke that is. Heath Miller did though. Just like Sherman didnt the year before that.

Teqneek

Reaction score
I say we pay Earl Thomas playmaker money, lose Sherman, eventually lose Kam, and probably a few solid pieces on reup time in the front seven and linebacker core.

Then we will see how playmaker Earl is all by himself. This crap is getting bad.