At combine last year, Tyler Lockett advised to not continue

OP
OP
drdiags

drdiags

Reaction score
Could you take the PWR discussion to the right forum?

On-topic, hearing this story the first thing came to mind was the Detroit Lions WR (I think) who died on the field a play or two after Dick Butkus hit him. I was probably 8 and the details are now fuzzy. Would be a gigantic debate in the current social media environment. Glad to hear that the one doctor got it wrong, though I am not sure he was just spit-balling on this issue.

EDIT: Chuck Hughes, 1971

https://www.detroitathletic.com/blo...only-death-to-occur-on-an-nfl-football-field/

I was 16 not 8 and he died from a heart/circulatory issue. Not a hit from Dick Butkus. At least according to the above story from the eye-witness at the stadium and Detroit native.

mikeak

Reaction score
Overseasfan":192dee0n said:
MontanaHawk05":192dee0n said:
Overseasfan":192dee0n said:
So you're saying our new star receiver could very well die on the field but he himself doesn't think it's true because something, something, god?

Or because other doctors and an NFL team cleared him to play.

Would be the better explanation but keep in mind this is a bit of a culture shock for me. In the Netherlands people who are this devoted to religion are usually seen as either uneducated, a tad crazy or both. It's difficult for me to comprehend someone ignoring doctor's advise because of a belief in a higher being.

I understand your angle being European myself but I think you are misinterpreting his post a bit (and going to try to stay away from the subject not to be discussed).

I read his post as he is believes that he is on his path thanks to God and that God wouldn't take it away from him. That is SEPARATE from playing after one doctor says he shouldn't play and OTHER doctor's clearing him.

So when you say "ignoring doctor's advice" I think you missed the fact that seeking a second opinion is not the same as ignoring doctor's advice and that other doctor's cleared him. To him the other doctor's just aligned with gods path for him.

Now what I think about that belief is a separate discussion we can have elsewhere :)

Overseasfan

Reaction score
mikeak":39w8gray said:
Overseasfan":39w8gray said:
MontanaHawk05":39w8gray said:
Overseasfan":39w8gray said:
So you're saying our new star receiver could very well die on the field but he himself doesn't think it's true because something, something, god?

Or because other doctors and an NFL team cleared him to play.

Would be the better explanation but keep in mind this is a bit of a culture shock for me. In the Netherlands people who are this devoted to religion are usually seen as either uneducated, a tad crazy or both. It's difficult for me to comprehend someone ignoring doctor's advise because of a belief in a higher being.

I understand your angle being European myself but I think you are misinterpreting his post a bit (and going to try to stay away from the subject not to be discussed).

I read his post as he is believes that he is on his path thanks to God and that God wouldn't take it away from him. That is SEPARATE from playing after one doctor says he shouldn't play and OTHER doctor's clearing him.

So when you say "ignoring doctor's advice" I think you missed the fact that seeking a second opinion is not the same as ignoring doctor's advice and that other doctor's cleared him. To him the other doctor's just aligned with gods path for him.

Now what I think about that belief is a separate discussion we can have elsewhere :)

I'm going to stop about the belief here as it's indeed not fit to be discussed here but my problem with TyLock's statement was that he made it sound really reckless, especially considering his physical play last year. Could be that I'm looking too much into it but I just want the best for the guy.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Exittium":3c36cvhq said:
This just seems weird for me on one hand I think its a play by whoever the team Docs were that told him to not play, i.e. he leaves the draft and then before training camp the team with the docs who advised him not to continue sign him. (Desperation belicheat type move...)

Orrrr.... they found incidental evidence of something in his brain, such as a vascular malformation or a benign cyst, that they initially thought might be dangerous, and repeated imaging with a focus on the area revealed that it was not.

But if it makes more sense that the team doctors care so little about their profession and their dignity that they'd lie to someone about something like this in order to get them on the cheap, then sure, maybe that too.

Chapow

Reaction score
Around this time last year at the combine. I was told that I'm not be able to perform until some test was ran on me. I took a cat scan that took about 15-20 minutes and it determined if I could ever play football again. It was the longest 15-20 min and scariest 15-20 min of my life. They cleared me to play. Then doctors I had to visit said it's too risky, asked my major and basically said football may be over. Told me if I get hit hard I might die off impact, Etc. I told him I don't believe that God would bring me this far and tease me and then I don't make it. one of the most emotional days of my life. I broke down as soon as the doctor left the office. I don't know if they doubted the God that I serve or if they didn't understand the purpose that I was given. They told me football was too risky. But obviously God showed me something different! As I look back at my first year I went from not even supposed to play again according to some doctors who hadn't seen anything like it to God showing me what He has planned for me in my life! So to everyone in the combine and who will be participating in pro day.... PROVE THEM ALL WRONG.... YOU CAN AND YOU WILL.... JUST BELIEVE.... GOD GOT YOU!!!! #God #Family #BigThankYouToTheDoctorsThatClearedMe #GodIsBigger #Combine #Purpose #Exception #IJustNeedAChance #ThankYouSeahawkFamily

#ExcessiveUseOfHashTags

Latest posts