Avril going to IR

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":1wuqgqp8 said:
MontanaHawk05":1wuqgqp8 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/schultz_report/status/920780111745634304[/tweet]
Well, if he can safely come back and play, good on him. But I'd hate for him to risk his long term health.
That's the way I feel. The guy is a warrior and a Super Bowl Champion on the field, and a GREAT humanitarian off the field.
I want the guy back on the field, but not at the risk of him not living a normal life after football.

Get well soon Cliff, do what is right for you and your body.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
sutz":1lxhk0dj said:
MontanaHawk05":1lxhk0dj said:
Well, if he can safely come back and play, good on him. But I'd hate for him to risk his long term health.

yup... If you feel your life is at risk, hang 'er up buddy....

bigskydoc

Reaction score
So, he could be back for our last three games. Rams, Cowboys, Cards

Avril doesn't make our defense, he makes our defense better. Seems like he makes it possible for Bennet and others to rack up the stats.

I doubt he is looking at any long-term sequelae, but this may make him more susceptible to repeat injury that is more permanent. A little time off to consider the risk-reward potential will be good for him.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
This is a tough blow. Cliff was one or our most disruptive players on the field and one of leaders off of it. Our depth on the d-line is now paper thin. I hope he is able to come back, but I also hope he takes the time to heal and think long term.

2_0_6

Reaction score
If Cliff was an early 20 something and didn't have the nest egg he's earned throughout his career I bet he would take the risk and come back. He's in his early 30's, has a young family, is financially secure, is at the tail end of his productive years, and a this point in his life has much bigger goals than the NFL

Cliff is a very smart dude, I bet he hangs them up. No amount of money is worth the risk of never walking again.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
sutz":2oe5074p said:
MontanaHawk05":2oe5074p said:

Should one choose to play Professional Football.....then you raise the odds that you might be injured enough to affect your "long term health". That is why many are paid in one year what a majority of Americans could make in a lifetime.

Josea16

Reaction score
So as usual we should wait for actual information? I mean it looks like Jordan and McDowell are on schedule and may actually play THIS season?!? Seriously? Cliff better do what is better for him and his family. Dude is a real man and please don't mess up your AFL.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Avril is a huge loss. Luckily D-line is our strongest position, so its not gonna just kill us.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Big loss. Avril is a quality player and even better man. Those guys don't grow on trees. Neck injuries are no joke. Hope he can come back for one last hurrah but if it's not meant to be, go enjoy the rest of your life with your family and thank you for all you have done for us Cliff!

ivotuk

Reaction score
kidhawk":2q8u6i5e said:
Not surprising that he's going n IR, especially since we could bring him back if we wish. I wouldn't even be surprised if he ends up retiring. I wish him nothing but the best in both his recovery and his future outside of football (should he choose to retire)

:ditto:

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Certainly this doesn't come as a surprise given Pete's ominous tones in discussing his situation. He likely has a pretty big bone spur/disc protrusion narrowing his spinal canal and making it somewhat risky to continue playing. Lots of guys have had to retire for that reason in the past. It's hard to adequately brace the neck, so if it isn't in good condition, playing is a big risk. Especially when the possible outcome of a serious blow is paralysis.

I suspect he'll need another MRI in a couple months just to see if the spinal stenosis is permanent and then will be given advice from his spine surgeon about the wisdom of further participation in contact/collision sports.

purpleneer

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":kt1wqikv said:
[Should one choose to play Professional Football.....then you raise the odds that you might be injured enough to affect your "long term health". That is why many are paid in one year what a majority of Americans could make in a lifetime.
Not exactly. They get paid what they do because the money is there (it's the entertainment industry) and they're on the side of a relatively limited supply. The health issue and necessarily short earning career are a big reason why it boggles my mind when people use athletes as their comparison to soldiers/teachers pay while giving a pass to other entertainers and top executives who have far weaker reasons to justify their earnings.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
DJ_CJ":1ep06ch7 said:
http://nfltraderumors.co/seahawks-de-cliff-avril-not-considering-retirement-plans-return/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The headline in that story says that Cliff isn't considering retirement. But nowhere in the story itself does it say that. Weird.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Gee said the same thing. Cliff's big decision is whether or not to get surgery. If it were me, I'd do the surgery (which I did). It made a huge difference, and the plate and screws make it more stable than it ever was before.

The downside, with 3 fused discs, that applies more pressure than normal on the discs to either side of the fused ones.

So I guess my advice would be, "If you want to keep playing, get a clean up done," but when you retire, get it fused."

JOHN CLAYTON --- October 19, 2017 - Hour 1

In the top 5 John and Gee discuss Cliff Avril being placed on IR

, the Cubs staying alive against the Dodgers, Rick Pitino saying he passed a lie detector test, the Chiefs Raiders game tonight, and Teddy Bridgewater being cleared to return to practice with Vikings.

Then, John Boyle of Seahawks.com joins the Professor to talk injuries and where the Seahawks are at coming off the bye week.

Plus, Gee Scott takes us Behind the Lines

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/ ... hn+Clayton

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Update on Cliff.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/922451526534291457[/tweet]

Getting 4 doctors opinions? That seems a bit more then usual.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2b5vmkxy said:
Update on Cliff.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/922451526534291457[/tweet]

Getting 4 doctors opinions? That seems a bit more then usual.

I don't blame him...when you're dealing with neck/spine injuries, you want to be as informed as humanly possible before making the decision to either stay in the violent game that is the NFL or retire.

Exittium

Reaction score
Yeah, I mean we can only speculate but even both sides of the speculation results in "the more the better" MAYBE they're tellin him no way no more your done in which he wants more than one opinion. Because he's a fighter and loves his job. Or the other spectrum of "your fine for now but be careful, because if it happens again it might be worse" So he's good to play BUT wants more than one opinion in the end it comes down to

The more the better when it comes down to a decision this HUGE and impactful