Avril signs 4yr Extension!!

kpak76

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1n50zfue said:
That's a very good deal for us, especially in light of the fact that Avril turned down 3 yrs/$30 mil from Detroit before he signed here.

Love keeping Avril and Bennett together. They seem to have a good chemistry.

Like Bennet said when he signed, "It's all about the guaranteed dollars."

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Oh man, the good news just keeps rolling in!! So freakin' awesome being a Hawks fan right now.

IMO: B-Max stays, Carp is gone.
B-Wags and Wilson, well duh.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Good signing. They have had a hard time identifying pass rushers in the draft, so I think it is worth it to spend now on proven guys like Bennett and Avril. I think it is a fair contract for both sides. Avril knows the pain of 0-16, so I bet he is just happy to be with a great franchise that is set to win for years to come.

jblaze

Reaction score
The best way to look at this is to split offense and defense 50/50 after taking our practice squad, IR, etc money.

If you look at it equally, there's plenty left to sign RW, Carp and Sweezy on offense this offseason. Possibly even a big FA TE.

On defense, these moves and the Wagner extension make it very difficult to retain Maxwell. It's very hard to pay all four of your starting DB's unless you gut another position group. Also Simon is ready to step in next year and Maxwell is making a lot of money right now by playing outside and also the nickle thus increasing his value via flexibility. My guess is he ends up around 6m a year.

This bodes very well for the continuity of our offense and defense going forward. The shipping of of Harvin allowed this to happen this year instead of in the offseason preventing any hesitations by players to test free agency. Also we're taking care of our own which is what we said we'd do and if players play and act the right way, this is a good sign that we'll take care of you.

Overall this is just how you could see it playing out as you look at these things from a macro perspective. The players want to be here and they're getting rewarded with their play and professionalism. I couldn't be happier that our core on offense and defense will be here for at least 3 more years and we'll keep our super bowl window open for that time at the minimum which is very difficult in today's league of free agency and parity.

Go Hawks! What's next? Wagner's next!

Melencause

Reaction score
RunTheBall":1o1rhnzj said:
.net GMs (pehawk and others) on the KJ Wright thread were all gloom and doom saying Avril was gone and possibly Wagner too as a result of the KJ contract

.... the next day Avril gets an extension

You can't make this sh-- up.

We have a really cheap offense even with a RW mega deal. We can still sign Carp, Wagner, Maxwell with room to spare. (Oh and Okung too)

-Sidenote: Don't think you can keep Irvin in this situation.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I figured out the plan. The Seahawks are going to sign up all their guys now, so when it comes time to do Russell's extension they will only have about $7 million in room left for him per year.

They will go to him and say "Look Russ, we want you to be our franchise QB, but we only have this much room in the budget. You're a team player, aren't you?"

They know Russ won't want to look bad by turning them down, so he'll accept.

Genius!

lsheldon

Reaction score
FargoHawk":2gh8l3g8 said:
Wonder what this means for Okung.

I've been wondering the same thing. High price tag (although 4 million lower next year), often injured, commits his share of stupid penalties. It will be interesting to find out. Can we really afford to let go of him considering the state of our O-Line without someone better to take his place?

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Now cue the GIF

well that was a fail. Apparently I dont know how to copy and paste GIFS into this particular forum... lol

volsunghawk

Reaction score
kpak76":2676qyen said:
volsunghawk":2676qyen said:
That's a very good deal for us, especially in light of the fact that Avril turned down 3 yrs/$30 mil from Detroit before he signed here.

Love keeping Avril and Bennett together. They seem to have a good chemistry.

Like Bennet said when he signed, "It's all about the guaranteed dollars."

And funny enough, Avril and Bennett both got the same guaranteed dollars - $16 mil.

Bennett's APY is a shade higher, though. Still, I'm very glad to have these guys locked in for the next several years.

AgentDib

Reaction score
It's reasonable to think about how a signing may impact the rest of the team given the brutal realities of a salary cap. $28m/4 looks like a great deal for Avril but it does mean that we have $28m/4 less to spend on other players. The way to game the salary cap in the current era is to pick a core of good players to pay and then to have the rest of your team on rookie contracts, and including Avril in their core does mean somebody else is getting voted off the island. Realism isn't doom and gloom and surely this sort of speculation is just as interesting as 80 replies rephrasing excitement that we signed Avril.

I feel very confident about Wags and Wilson and progressively less so about the remaining players. Carpenter and Okung are the most interesting because it's hard to see where their replacements would come from. Bailey got a very reserved evaluation from Carroll on Wednesday which seems unfortunate given how gung ho Carroll normally is. Maybe the best option is to put Bailey in at LG, draft a LT, and let Okung play out his remaining year. If he stays healthy then we can re-sign him otherwise we can move on.

We do have a few RFA possibilities in Kearse, Scruggs, Morgan and Shead.

mikeak

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":1qeus0ho said:
Wait... 49er fans told us a few years ago that the Seahawks wouldn't be able to re-sign the entire defense + Wilson when the time came!

We haven't signed Wilson to an extension yet :)

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I like it.

I think they continue to bargain shop on DTs and possibly go cheap at RCB (i.e. Simon steps up, draft another guy). You can probably fill your other needs through the draft as well (OG, TE, WR, etc.). This combo of moves actually makes a lot of sense. No need to reinvent the wheel for the league's most talented team.

Latest posts