Avril signs 4yr Extension!!

Bprez3

Reaction score
I was one of the .net GM's that thought this was not in the cards after Wright's extension. I am so happy I was wrong. I fully anticipate them extended Maxwell tomorrow. My reasoning is I still think he will not be resigned

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2qvotfvy said:
I think we will someday soon have the most expensive defense in the world.
I doubt it given how much the cap will be going up in the next 5 years most of these current contracts will look like bargains.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Seahawks FO killin' it!

were-not-worthy.gif

OP
OP
FargoHawk

FargoHawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2ro5pfvq said:
Just thought I'd say it again here since Cliff is the subject of this thread.....I felt that day and still feel he was the MVP of XLVIII.

Agree completely! On every key play Avril was applying pressure to Manning forcing him into those decisions.

ivotuk

Reaction score
This is perfect. I doubt we can afford BMax but that's okay because Simon is next up. For those worried about inuries, BMax struggled with injuries too. I think it takes a year or two for some players to adjust to the NFL game and learn how to take care of their bodies (Porkchop Womack).

I hope we cut Carpenter loose, his idiocy is going to cost us a QB.

Okung should think about reworking his contract as he has spent way too much time injured, and has way too many penalties and brainfarts to be worth 7 million a year. It would be worth it to find a 5 million a year guy that can stay healthy because of the continuity.

If Unger were smart, he might consider the same thing. Injury history does not equal big pay. When setting up Servers, there are several important factors when choosing which RAID setup to go with. Availability is a big one.

I'm so tired of our offensive line being in flux and it's been this way since 2006, despite all the draft picks and money we've poured in to it. I would much rather have slightly less talented guys, with much lower price tags, as long as they are available game in and game out.

Nobody in the NFL is healthy after the beginning of their career, but some guys are better at taking care of their body, and are just built stronger (Kam Chancellor) than others. Ever notice that Kam never gets a concussion, even on his monster hits? It's because of his build and the way his body is.

The salary cap is going up this year and IIRC, it's supposed to be a fairly big jump this year which would allow us to sign both BWagz and RW.

And remember the story "Russell Wilson is too close too management!"? He might be up there helping JS make those decisions :p He does after all want to own a team after he retires. If he takes us to 3 or 4 SuperB Owls, then Paul Allen should put RW in his will. "And to Russell Wilson I leave, the Seattle Seahawks." :mrgreen:

AgentDib

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3kopbp9j said:
Realistically, for next year, Maxwell and Carpenter are your biggest possible losses. Everyone else worth keeping is still under contract or eligible for a cheap RFA deal. I think we're sitting pretty for 2015. Can't think too far ahead because too many things can change. People get hurt, people get traded, etc.
I agree those two are big but there are a lot of other guys who are tough decisions in my book. I believe most of our young guys will be UFA not RFA.

The veteran depth/backups may need to be replaced with rookie contracts: Tukuafu, Moeaki, Schilling, Williams and Dobbs. Of course we thought Bennett/Avril were short term rentals too.

We'll probably lose most of our young UFAs: Malcolm Smith, Anthony McCoy, Jeron Johnson, Bryan Walters, O'Brien Schofield, Mike Morgan, Travian Robertson.

We'll probably keep our RFAs: Kearse, Scruggs, Lockette, Shead (over JJ?).

Gresham probably gets another contract because he's Clint Gresham.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ivotuk":1j0l8oye said:
If Unger were smart, he might consider the same thing. Injury history does not equal big pay. When setting up Servers, there are several important factors when choosing which RAID setup to go with. Availability is a big one.:

Okung's a bargain at 7M, this was his big cap hit year @ 11M. The list of 5M left tackles is not good.

http://overthecap.com/position/left-tackle/

Unger has two years left on his deal, so doubt he'd be open to lowering his salary.

Hawks46

Reaction score
This defense could go down as one of the all time great defenses.

Guys are getting paid fair contracts, and taking less (and early) to keep this D together, plus not drag negotiations out. I'm loving the culture in Seahawks land right now.

AgentDib

Reaction score
ivotuk":j1twobbu said:
Ever notice that Kam never gets a concussion, even on his monster hits? It's because of his build and the way his body is.
I agree and would add that a huge part of injury susceptibility is rooted in athleticism and awareness. Some have the fluidity to take hits well and go along with the contact, or the strength to be the hitter. It is a violent sport and the ones who are relatively stiffer or constantly just a bit out of position end up taking a lot more abuse. Harvin is potentially the most athletic player in the league but you can really see on his pass routes that everything just looks a lot more violent then it does for a guy like Boldin who practically never takes any sort of hit.

Sgt. Largent":j1twobbu said:
Okung's a bargain at 7M, this was his big cap hit year @ 11M. The list of 5M left tackles is not good.
An Okung who plays 50% of his games with us is not at all a bargain at 7M. Continuity doesn't just help the LT spot but the entire line. I'd much rather have guys like Joeckel, Kalil or Solder for half the price if they will play twice the games.

sutz

Reaction score
AgentDib":1br60ah7 said:
ivotuk":1br60ah7 said:
Ever notice that Kam never gets a concussion, even on his monster hits? It's because of his build and the way his body is.
I agree and would add that a huge part of injury susceptibility is rooted in athleticism and awareness. Some have the fluidity to take hits well and go along with the contact, or the strength to be the hitter. It is a violent sport and the ones who are relatively stiffer or constantly just a bit out of position end up taking a lot more abuse. Harvin is potentially the most athletic player in the league but you can really see on his pass routes that everything just looks a lot more violent then it does for a guy like Boldin who practically never takes any sort of hit.
Yeah...body type might help, but I think technique and form are more important to avoiding injuries.

bigcc

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3s6ve8yu said:
ivotuk":3s6ve8yu said:
If Unger were smart, he might consider the same thing. Injury history does not equal big pay. When setting up Servers, there are several important factors when choosing which RAID setup to go with. Availability is a big one.:

http://overthecap.com/position/left-tackle/

Unger has two years left on his deal, so doubt he'd be open to lowering his salary.

I don't think many people would've expected miller to take a straight pay cut either.

Also a thought to keep in mind with Wagner/Russ.... they would be getting contract EXTENSIONS, not re-signing.... big difference, the cap room projections for next season are with wagner/russ on the roster already.

I wouldn't be surprised to see big numbers on the contracts of wright/avril year 1, with a drop from there.

If you look at how bennetts contract is structured, he's going to count 8 mil against the cap next season, then drop to 7 the next despite team cap rise.

Don't be surprised if the seahawks not only re-sign most of the guys this offseason, but may be capable of ADDING a player who is ring chasing or willing to try a 1 year prove it (see bennett last year, jeremy maclin this year)

Basis4day

Reaction score
AgentDib":1p03kazj said:
ivotuk":1p03kazj said:

Sgt. Largent":1p03kazj said:
An Okung who plays 50% of his games with us is not at all a bargain at 7M. Continuity doesn't just help the LT spot but the entire line. I'd much rather have guys like Joeckel, Kalil or Solder for half the price if they will play twice the games.

Those players are only half the price because they were drafted after the new rookie wage scale.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
AgentDib":1x2m8tez said:

True, but LT isn't a huge free agent pool, because if you have guys like Solder, Kalil or Joeckel you don't let them go.

So hard to just cut Okung and try and find an above average LT in free agency.......which is why he's going to be back for 7M. We either have to draft Okung's replacement, or live with his stupid false starts and injuries.

Brahn

Reaction score
jlwaters1":1n3w7yeh said:
Brahn":1n3w7yeh said:
Boom

Maxwell, and Carp last ones if we want them before Wagner and Wilson

I doubt either of those guys get resigned.

Like I said if we want them.

I doubt we resign Heath, Malcom will get more on the market. Carp being resigned fills a need and Maxwell being resigned keeps the Def more intact. Maxwell over Lane imo. Pay Maxwell now and let Lane go later.

kf3339

Reaction score
Both the Avril and Wright signings are great news for us Hawk fans! I couldn't be happier right now!

cdallan

Reaction score
volsunghawk":22zpt1en said:
That's a very good deal for us, especially in light of the fact that Avril turned down 3 yrs/$30 mil from Detroit before he signed here.

Love keeping Avril and Bennett together. They seem to have a good chemistry.

I think this is very good value for the Hawks, and I think that the Detroit offer is the reason why.

He got offered 3 years and 30m to resign, but decided to test free agency...and there was no market. We only got him 'cos it was a buyer's market. He's not turning down money again.

cdallan

Reaction score
Basis4day":1vzlh10b said:
AgentDib":1vzlh10b said:
ivotuk":1vzlh10b said:

Sgt. Largent":1vzlh10b said:

Those players are only half the price because they were drafted after the new rookie wage scale.

Aren't both Joeckel and Kalil playing like carp this season as well?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I thought Kalil was playing ok? I have no idea about Joeckel though. And I thought Carpenter was playing pretty well for that matter.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
cdallan":c5lsbu7d said:
Basis4day":c5lsbu7d said:
AgentDib":c5lsbu7d said:
ivotuk":c5lsbu7d said:

Sgt. Largent":c5lsbu7d said:

Kalil had given up the most sacks of any lineman a couple of weeks ago I think? And Joeckel is part of line that allows Bortles to be sacked once every eight attempts. Though Blake's contributing to that.