Reaction score
I love it when a plan comes together.
ce4318a9b48d4c94a69927a7245f079c.jpg

People my age, get it.
:{)

DavidSeven

Reaction score
AgentDib":2fh1ty4z said:
It's reasonable to think about how a signing may impact the rest of the team given the brutal realities of a salary cap. $28m/4 looks like a great deal for Avril but it does mean that we have $28m/4 less to spend on other players. The way to game the salary cap in the current era is to pick a core of good players to pay and then to have the rest of your team on rookie contracts, and including Avril in their core does mean somebody else is getting voted off the island. Realism isn't doom and gloom and surely this sort of speculation is just as interesting as 80 replies rephrasing excitement that we signed Avril.

I feel very confident about Wags and Wilson and progressively less so about the remaining players. Carpenter and Okung are the most interesting because it's hard to see where their replacements would come from. Bailey got a very reserved evaluation from Carroll on Wednesday which seems unfortunate given how gung ho Carroll normally is. Maybe the best option is to put Bailey in at LG, draft a LT, and let Okung play out his remaining year. If he stays healthy then we can re-sign him otherwise we can move on.

We do have a few RFA possibilities in Kearse, Scruggs, Morgan and Shead.

Realistically, for next year, Maxwell and Carpenter are your biggest possible losses. Everyone else worth keeping is still under contract or eligible for a cheap RFA deal. I think we're sitting pretty for 2015. Can't think too far ahead because too many things can change. People get hurt, people get traded, etc.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
My guess was if Avril stayed it would be at a Bennett level contract.

And Avril pretty much signed the same deal as MB.

Christmas in Seattle came early and it started the day the Jets took Percy Harvin off the Seahawks hands.

What's even more interesting. Rewind this back to 2013:

Altogether Bennett pretty much signed a 5 yr, 33 mil deal. 6.6 mil per.
And Avril pretty much signed a 5 yr, 41 mil deal. 8.2 mil per.

Seahawks have two premium pass rushers playing at a combined average of less than 15 mil per.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":jukiwzo0 said:
jlwaters1":jukiwzo0 said:
Brahn":jukiwzo0 said:
Boom

Maxwell, and Carp last ones if we want them before Wagner and Wilson

I doubt either of those guys get resigned.

Looks like your the only one riding on the Doubt Train. :lol:

Carp will be gone, but I think Max will stay here..

Maxwell is replaceable, I they can't expect to sign everyone. With 3 of the LOB signed that other spot will have to be manned by a cheap alternative. Tharold Simon, Jeremy Lane, and the draft pick Pinkins would be better options.

I think they resign Wagner and Wilson this offseason. They will most likely resign Irvin as well. Some may balk at that idea, but his versatility is what will get him a 2nd contract with Seattle. He's a LB/Pass rusher hybrid, in a sense he save you a roster spot as he can play both spots.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Just thought I'd say it again here since Cliff is the subject of this thread.....I felt that day and still feel he was the MVP of XLVIII.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
jlwaters1":2gfio9sg said:
Brahn":2gfio9sg said:
Boom

Maxwell, and Carp last ones if we want them before Wagner and Wilson

I doubt either of those guys get resigned.

I'm not really sure why he grouped Maxwell with Carpenter.

I think it would be a mistake to not resign Maxwell, personally.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":frrfjj0h said:
My guess was if Avril stayed it would be at a Bennett level contract.

And Avril pretty much signed the same deal as MB.

Christmas in Seattle came early and it started the day the Jets took Percy Harvin off the Seahawks hands.

What's even more interesting. Rewind this back to 2013:

Altogether Bennett pretty much signed a 5 yr, 33 mil deal. 6.6 mil per.
And Avril pretty much signed a 5 yr, 41 mil deal. 8.2 mil per.

Seahawks have two premium pass rushers playing at a combined average of less than 15 mil per.
Not bad considering Greg Hardy is at 13.1M and Chris Long is at 10.2M and then it's Avril, Bennet before the lower tier guys or guys on rookie contracts for the most part.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1ity5kbz said:
Just thought I'd say it again here since Cliff is the subject of this thread.....I felt that day and still feel he was the MVP of XLVIII.

He definitely deserved it more than Malcolm. I'd have given it to Kam, but I thought Cliff deserved consideration as well.

ivotuk

Reaction score
YEEAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE JOHN SCHNEIDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If it didn't hurt so much, I would jump up and do a dance right now!!!

Next, Russell Wilson and Bobby Wagner!!

And the TIMING!!! How do you motivate a team late in the season? You hand out contracts to core players that EVERYBODY LOVES!!

Did we get lucky with Pete Carroll and John Schneider or what? :thirishdrinkers:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":2gv7y808 said:
........I think it would be a mistake to not resign Maxwell, personally.
Me too, particularly considering Simon has missed games due to injuries. Depth at the CB position in the scheme our team runs cannot be overstated IMO.

mikeak

Reaction score
Next up: RW, Wagner, Sweezy and Bruce Irvin

Extensions - seems more important than any of our FAs left

Mick063

Reaction score
The money is in the defense. Like I wrote in another thread.....

We are going to have to hope that they hit on rookie hidden gems for the offensive line when the occasional rookie contracts expire. Just going to have to learn to live with it.

I don't expect a big splash with a free agent wide receiver either. Harvin has them snake bit and they are going to go with proven methods. Russell magic will have to endure. I expect they will draft two or three running backs and hope that a good one shakes out.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1xiw2lni said:

Yeah, he was. Malcolm had the numbers and the highlights, but Avril made most of the magic happen.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Aros":b0214ku8 said:
I have the Seahawks new slogan for 2015:

Seahawks. Just Buildin' Dynasties.

Pretty much what I thought. This team has a chance to be it. Next up Wagner, Wilson, Maxwell (maybe?) and anyone else?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
jblaze":2i8itnmb said:
The best way to look at this is to split offense and defense 50/50 after taking our practice squad, IR, etc money.

I think this is the wrong way to look at it, both in practice, and strategically.

I can't think of any good teams in the NFL that equally distribute investment across units or across position groups. Instead, people pick a unit to invest in and pick position groups to piece together in order to have the money to invest in other groups. For the 9ers, they piece together their secondary, d-line, and WRs in order to invest in their LBs, O-line, and RBs.

In practice, I think the message the Hawks are sending is that they keep on planning on winning how they have been winning: taking money out of the o-line to invest in the defense. It has been working for them.

Latest posts