Baldwin is this Generations Largent

v1rotv2

Reaction score
harryjohnson":2hkw2mra said:
Seymour":2hkw2mra said:
HawkGA":2hkw2mra said:
Not sure Largent would ever have been described as Angry Steve.

Exactly. Also Steve Largent is in an entirely different class and never would have taken a "live steamer" in front of 114 million people. :pukeface:

Agreed, although I bet you DB regrets that move.

As someone who had season tickets back in those days, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Doug has a great start. But Largent is in the Hall for many reasons. One of which was that when he left the game he held ALL of the receiving records. Yes all of them. Without gloves.

Largent is the best receiver to ever put on a Seahawks uniform. Jerry Rice doesn't count.

I think it's not fair to hold Steve's record count against Doug. There is no bigger fan of Steve Largent than me. Having seen him play in person he will always be the top dog receiver to me. But to hold his records against Doug is wrong because of the type of philosophy of this team vs. the Seahawks of the late 70's and the 80's. There is no way any one receiver in this system can put up the numbers Steve had. The better way is to measure how important Doug has become to the team and the way he has.

Doug is just as important to this team as Steve was to the Hawks back then.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":1xdyqrkf said:
I didn't say he was Largent I merely said he is this eras version. He had his best year last year and is picking right up where he left off.

I said it because he's balling out. Largent is my favorite player of all time ,so for me to say this is a pretty good compliment.

I agree. While he may have started off somewhat slow stat wise, he's matured tremendously the past few years. That catch Sunday where he hauled it in one handed was a thing of beauty...

[youtube]lLlmkupRqYs[/youtube]

Seymour

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2p81b2zb said:
Largent is so overrated........

Baldwin is underrated.

The hall of fame is overrated. Football is overrated. Life is overrated. :sarcasm_off:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
ZorntoLargent":41una5bb said:
The Breh":41una5bb said:
ZorntoLargent":41una5bb said:
First off, don't compare him to Largent.
Largent would never pretend to take a dump in the end zone at the Super Bowl.
Largent also retired the all time leader in catches, yards and TD's.

You guys need to leave "character" out when someone is obviously comparing him to on field production.
Largent wouldn't have taken a dump, sure.
Game is more risqué and Baldwin was mocking someone else, no ?
You guys must have a hard time watching games these days because it isn't is as "respectful" now.
Back when dudes were getting blasted on the head, play the next snap and who knows what galaxy they might have even been in, you thought that to be more "respectful"

Draw the comparisons of the production, of a Seahawks player.

Fine, character aside. Baldwin isn't even close to being as good as Largent was.
Largent averaged 935 yds for 14 years. Baldwin just now got over 935 yds ONCE.
Before you say the current team is run first, Largent played for a coach named GROUND CHUCK.
I have to agree with this.You also have to remember Steve played with different QB's while Doug may never have to if he makes it to 14yrs..To me DB is his own man-nobody around compares to Largent he was special

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":b41b5o2p said:
JSeahawks":b41b5o2p said:
I think Doug is more Steve Smith then Steve Largent personally.

Bingo
Smith wasn't quite so precise at running routes. I think that's why the Largent comparison comes to mind.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

RichNhansom

Reaction score
OkieHawk":1eet1awt said:
Largent80":1eet1awt said:
I didn't say he was Largent I merely said he is this eras version. He had his best year last year and is picking right up where he left off.

I said it because he's balling out. Largent is my favorite player of all time ,so for me to say this is a pretty good compliment.

I agree. While he may have started off somewhat slow stat wise, he's matured tremendously the past few years. That catch Sunday where he hauled it in one handed was a thing of beauty...

[youtube]lLlmkupRqYs[/youtube]

Do it like you've been there before.

Pure class act and elite team leader.

I'd bet large bills Steve Largent is very proud of this young man.

The Breh

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1wgmdiqo said:
The Breh":1wgmdiqo said:
If you have kids, for one-you have every power to monitor to what they watch.
You're wife and parents are grown, I have a feeling they can live with their lives.
Booze and boobs have been around the NFL for decades. Commercials are worse.
If you have a problem with Baldwin and ONE celebration you got it messed up.
Sorry dude.

Since when does the proliferation of poor taste make another singular act of poor taste more acceptable? Sorry, that's messed up logic. Doug's national dance was sad, childish, and disrespectful to his fans (and the refs who flagged it and the NFL who fined him). This was so for many people, regardless of how much other distasteful rhetoric and advertising is around as well. Largent would not have lowered himself to such a standard, and I doubt Doug would again.

I'd be thrilled if someday we're talking about Baldwin's longevity in the league playing at a similar standard as Largent. Just because he's not in that particular discussion yet removes nothing from his incredible plays. His focus and concentration are amazing...
So do you want to keep debating on a move Doug made ONE time ?
I said before, " parenting " will keep them from tv's on Sunday.
Dude is a grown ass man, free to express himself anyway and that makes you mad because you feel it's a bad influence on your kids.

Don't watch grown men angrily hit eachother.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Seymour":3mpscyx3 said:
HawkGA":3mpscyx3 said:
Not sure Largent would ever have been described as Angry Steve.

Exactly. Also Steve Largent is in an entirely different class and never would have taken a "live steamer" in front of 114 million people. :pukeface:

[youtube]moSFlvxnbgk[/youtube]

ZorntoLargent":3mpscyx3 said:
Fine, character aside. Baldwin isn't even close to being as good as Largent was.
Largent averaged 935 yds for 14 years. Baldwin just now got over 935 yds ONCE.
Before you say the current team is run first, Largent played for a coach named GROUND CHUCK.

This take is so hot you need an oven mitt to handle it.

irocdave

Reaction score
The Breh":ej7k5cz1 said:
irocdave":ej7k5cz1 said:
The Breh":ej7k5cz1 said:
ZorntoLargent":ej7k5cz1 said:
First off, don't compare him to Largent.
Largent would never pretend to take a dump in the end zone at the Super Bowl.
Largent also retired the all time leader in catches, yards and TD's.

You guys need to leave "character" out when someone is obviously comparing him to on field production.
Largent wouldn't have taken a dump, sure.
Game is more risqué and Baldwin was mocking someone else, no ?
You guys must have a hard time watching games these days because it isn't is as "respectful" now.
Back when dudes were getting blasted on the head, play the next snap and who knows what galaxy they might have even been in, you thought that to be more "respectful"

Draw the comparisons of the production, of a Seahawks player.

When was the last time you watched on national television, millions of people watching, a player acting out shitting out a football. If you don't understand a majority of viewers objected to it, including me, my wife, kids and parents, and form opinions about that act, maybe you need to reflect on where that public opinion line really lies in comparison to where you think it is.
If you have kids, for one-you have every power to monitor to what they watch.
You're wife and parents are grown, I have a feeling they can live with their lives.
Booze and boobs have been around the NFL for decades. Commercials are worse.
If you have a problem with Baldwin and ONE celebration you got it messed up.
Sorry dude.

I'm not biting on your bait.

timmat

Reaction score
Baldwin is the closest thing we have to Largent in this current era of Seahawks football. But time will tell if longevity and consistent production over time put him in Largent's class (HOF).

For comparison's sake, let's look at Baldwin's yards last year and two similar yardage years from Largent.

Last season Baldwin had 1,069 yds and the Hawks threw for 4,061 yds.
In 1986, Largent had 1,070 yds and the Hawks threw for 3,424 yds.
In 1983, Largent had 1,074 yds and the Hawks threw for 3,316 yds.

At least in these two sample years of similar yardage, the Hawks threw the ball even less in Largent's era than what we saw last season in Doug's big year.

Regardless, I'm so happy Badwin is on our team. A perfect fit on and off the field for this group.

themunn

Reaction score
timmat":2c34pn3m said:
Baldwin is the closest thing we have to Largent in this current era of Seahawks football. But time will tell if longevity and consistent production over time put him in Largent's class (HOF).

For comparison's sake, let's look at Baldwin's yards last year and two similar yardage years from Largent.

Last season Baldwin had 1,069 yds and the Hawks threw for 4,061 yds.
In 1986, Largent had 1,070 yds and the Hawks threw for 3,424 yds.
In 1983, Largent had 1,074 yds and the Hawks threw for 3,316 yds.

At least in these two sample years of similar yardage, the Hawks threw the ball even less in Largent's era than what we saw last season in Doug's big year.

Regardless, I'm so happy Badwin is on our team. A perfect fit on and off the field for this group.

It's not the easiest stat to compare though, as we have no idea how many times Largent was targeted (as targets weren't tracked then). Doug Baldwin's 75.7% catch ratio in 2015 was first among qualifying wide receivers (I'll admit, I don't know what "qualifying" refers to here, I've taken it from this site: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2015/receiving.htm which handily has a "hide non-qualifiers" button, I suspect it's excluding anyone who has both less than 25 receptions and under 200 yards). He's currently sitting at 74.1%, but is being targeted significantly more this year - currently 15th in targets (6th in receptions) versus the 38th in targets (14th in receptions) he was last year, so there's every chance he puts up stats unlike anything Largent did (speaking absolutely of course, not relatively).

Currently Baldwin's on track for just shy of 1,500 yards (93.75 YPG) - entirely consistent with the last 8 games of last year (90.5 YPG), no reason to see why he can't keep it going.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
I see the comparison, definitely.

Sure, they're dissimilar as individuals, and sure, Baldwin may never produce the sheer numbers that Hall of Fame receiver Steve Largent did, but they're quite similar in the actual game.

Both the go-to guys for their quarterbacks. Neither huge, intimidating physical specimens. Neither flashy or incredibly fast on the field. Both extremely sure-handed and reliable, especially in must-make situations. Both clearly Seahawks #1 receivers, but neither the "prototypical NFL #1 receiver type." Before, when you needed seven or eight hard yards to move the chains, you threw it to Largent. Now you throw it to Baldwin.

Yeah, I can see it.

Latest posts