Bennett not expected to attend Hawks voluntary workout

kobebryant

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":19iqjik9 said:
What part of the word "contract" does Michael not understand?

I don't know. But he understands what "voluntary" means.

mikeak

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1wqit7sh said:
What part of the word "contract" does Michael not understand? It was posted here some time back that he wasn't even half way into his present contract. Players are all for following the fine print of the contract when they get injured, but are eager to "renegotiate" when they have a good year. This could get interesting.

You forgot one

And teams are all about breaking contracts when they feel like it....

brimsalabim

Reaction score
According to Spot Trac he is already the 12th highest paid DE in the league. How much more does he rate on the open market? I would think maybe 9th and that is stretching it.

OP
OP
Hawkfan77

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
mikeak":297wkktz said:
Bigpumpkin":297wkktz said:
What part of the word "contract" does Michael not understand? It was posted here some time back that he wasn't even half way into his present contract. Players are all for following the fine print of the contract when they get injured, but are eager to "renegotiate" when they have a good year. This could get interesting.

You forgot one

Well thats not true

OP
OP
Hawkfan77

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
brimsalabim":31kshfs8 said:
According to Spot Trac he is already the 12th highest paid DE in the league. How much more does he rate on the open market? I would think maybe 9th and that is stretching it.
He was just on the open market one year ago so he's worth what he's getting paid.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1c9y9bi4 said:
mikeak":1c9y9bi4 said:
Bigpumpkin":1c9y9bi4 said:

You forgot one

Well thats not true

Once a team has gone through the guaranteed portion of a contract, they can cut a player with no real repercussions. It happens all the time. Even though that player is still under contract if the team likes the deal, they can choose to cut him when they feel the deal no longer favors them. Players have no such recourse except to ask for a restructure. No player can just walk away from a contract they don't like. By not playing, they stay locked into the team which holds their contract. Teams can release players while under contract without any problem. So, yeah, it does happen all the time and that's the system they play under.

As I've said above, it doesn't hurt to ask for a restructure, that doesn't mean he'll get it. I have no issue with a player asking. I only have an issue when it comes time to play the games and the player holds out of training camp/pre season or the regular sesason. Then it's an issue. Right now, it's just life in the NFL

OP
OP
Hawkfan77

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
kidhawk":1hp7ofkq said:
Hawkfan77":1hp7ofkq said:
mikeak":1hp7ofkq said:
Bigpumpkin":1hp7ofkq said:

You forgot one

Well thats not true

Once a team has gone through the guaranteed portion of a contract, they can cut a player with no real repercussions. It happens all the time. Even though that player is still under contract if the team likes the deal, they can choose to cut him when they feel the deal no longer favors them. Players have no such recourse except to ask for a restructure. No player can just walk away from a contract they don't like. By not playing, they stay locked into the team which holds their contract. Teams can release players while under contract without any problem. So, yeah, it does happen all the time and that's the system they play under.

As I've said above, it doesn't hurt to ask for a restructure, that doesn't mean he'll get it. I have no issue with a player asking. I only have an issue when it comes time to play the games and the player holds out of training camp/pre season or the regular sesason. Then it's an issue. Right now, it's just life in the NFL
The only numbers that really matter in contracts are the guaranteed numbers, which teams must pay, even if a player is cut, they still have that amount. There are 2 types of contracts, the real contract, what a player will receive and the fluff contract, what the player "can" receive.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":9qdtreqd said:
The only numbers that really matter in contracts are the guaranteed numbers, which teams must pay, even if a player is cut, they still have that amount. There are 2 types of contracts, the real contract, what a player will receive and the fluff contract, what the player "can" receive.[/quote]

I completely understand that, but after the guaranteed money runs out, the teams have complete control of the situation. There is nothing a player can do to change the circumstances under which the contract was made. Teams get to choose whether they want to continue under the contract, or set the player free. Players don't get the option to go somewhere else if they are being underpaid when their guarantees are gone. This is how contracts work in the NFL and I have no problem with that system. All I'm saying is you can't really blame a player for asking for a restructure of a contract when that is his only recourse. If that asking becomes holding out of games or training camp, then it's an issue, but asking during the off season is a non issue.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
brimsalabim":13l0dnds said:

It really doesn't matter what Bennett thinks he rates on the open market, he signed his deal and now he has ZERO leverage to do anything other than show up and play.

I'd also remind him that he played a ton more snaps last year than in 2013, and had less sacks. So if he does think he's underpaid, I'd like to hear his argument.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1pvf1iv6 said:
Well thats not true

I think part of the problem --both in the NFL, and in you guys talking past each other a little bit-- is the two different uses of "contract."

Under the use of "contract" in which NFL teams DO always honor their contracts (i.e. pay out the bonuses), players ALSO honor the contract (they're not contractually obligated to voice displeasure about their contracts, they're fined when they hold out from mandatory activities, etc.). Under this usage of contract nobody can really complain about Bennett.

In the other, looser usage of "contract" teams DON'T honor their "contracts" (they rarely honor their contractual obligations through to the end of the contract) whereas the players are forced to honor their contracts through to their completion. In this usage too you can't really complain about Bennett objecting, given the one-sided nature of the commitment.

Basically, my point is that the only way to fault players in this arrangement is to use "contract" inconsistently across an argument, employing the first usage to talk about teams and the second usage to talk about players. If one's usage stays consistent across the argument, it falls down.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2bpuuq5k said:
Hawkfan77":2bpuuq5k said:
Well thats not true

I think part of the problem --both in the NFL, and in you guys talking past each other a little bit-- is the two different uses of "contract."

Under the use of "contract" in which NFL teams DO always honor their contracts (i.e. pay out the bonuses), players ALSO honor the contract (they're not contractually obligated to voice displeasure about their contracts, they're fined when they hold out from mandatory activities, etc.). Under this usage of contract nobody can really complain about Bennett.

In the other, looser usage of "contract" teams DON'T honor their "contracts" (they rarely honor their contractual obligations through to the end of the contract) whereas the players are forced to honor their contracts through to their completion. In this usage too you can't really complain about Bennett objecting, given the one-sided nature of the commitment.

Basically, my point is that the only way to fault players in this arrangement is to use "contract" inconsistently across an argument, employing the first usage to talk about teams and the second usage to talk about players. If one's usage stays consistent across the argument, it falls down.

Why do you come in here using logic and stuff. That's no fair or fun :lol:

Hawks46

Reaction score
kidhawk":kr3o8sov said:
Bigpumpkin":kr3o8sov said:

First of all, renegotiating a contract that one side can cut isn't really bad faith. It's not like he's held out, nor has he missed any time that he was scheduled to attend. For all we know he'd be there right now if it weren't for a recent death in the family.

I really hate how the press (and/or fans) will take two separate things and put them together to form a conclusion without waiting for the actual facts to present themselves, or even an actual issue to be formed.

Can't agree more. It's a freaking death in the family. We don't even know which family member, it might be a close one.

If you're posting about Bennett and "signing a contract", or jumping to conclusions here.....put it in this perspective: what if someone in your family died (hell, a cousin, etc. I don't care who) and you wanted to go to the funeral, or take some time with your family, how well would it go down if you went to your boss and asked for some time off and he/she replied "well, that's tough luck son, but you have a job to do" ?

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawks46":mizqfg73 said:
kidhawk":mizqfg73 said:
Bigpumpkin":mizqfg73 said:

First of all, renegotiating a contract that one side can cut isn't really bad faith. It's not like he's held out, nor has he missed any time that he was scheduled to attend. For all we know he'd be there right now if it weren't for a recent death in the family.

I really hate how the press (and/or fans) will take two separate things and put them together to form a conclusion without waiting for the actual facts to present themselves, or even an actual issue to be formed.

Can't agree more. It's a freaking death in the family. We don't even know which family member, it might be a close one.

If you're posting about Bennett and "signing a contract", or jumping to conclusions here.....put it in this perspective: what if someone in your family died (hell, a cousin, etc. I don't care who) and you wanted to go to the funeral, or take some time with your family, how well would it go down if you went to your boss and asked for some time off and he/she replied "well, that's tough luck son, but you have a job to do" ?

Reminds me of fans who were worried Richard Sherman would miss the SB due to the birth of his child.

Priorities people.

MVP53

Reaction score
kidhawk":3ohdeisy said:
Hawkfan77":3ohdeisy said:
I completely understand that, but after the guaranteed money runs out, the teams have complete control of the situation. There is nothing a player can do to change the circumstances under which the contract was made. Teams get to choose whether they want to continue under the contract, or set the player free. Players don't get the option to go somewhere else if they are being underpaid when their guarantees are gone. This is how contracts work in the NFL and I have no problem with that system. All I'm saying is you can't really blame a player for asking for a restructure of a contract when that is his only recourse. If that asking becomes holding out of games or training camp, then it's an issue, but asking during the off season is a non issue.

To be clear, players CAN break their contract, they just can't break their contract and play NFL football with another organization. Bennett COULD break his contract and go sell insurance instead. ;)

Largent80

Reaction score
I only care what Bennett does in Seahawk football games. The same goes for EVERY Hawk player. All the BS created by media and fans is not worth the time put into typing and reading, simply IS NOT.