Bennett on Kam Chancellor

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Next year is when the salary cap really catches up with Seattle.
If a player wants to stay they are going to have to take less, if not then thanks for everything.
That's why drafting the secondary talent they did was SO important this year.

That's exactly the way the salary cap was designed to work.

Schadie001

Reaction score
Safety typically isn't a position hurt by the 30 and over bug. In fact, many corners revive their careers by transitioning to safety and Strong Safety I would think would have an even longer longevity because cover skills are not the staple of a SS but more a hybrid able to cover linebacker. If you can hit and stay healthy you can play a long time at Strong Safety.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2s25xq3n said:
Next year is when the salary cap really catches up with Seattle.
If a player wants to stay they are going to have to take less, if not then thanks for everything.
That's why drafting the secondary talent they did was SO important this year.

That's exactly the way the salary cap was designed to work.

Without Kam, Jimmy and Britt we are $34 million under for 2018.
Looks fine to me, but much will depend on what happens with those guys.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Schadie001":351tqjwh said:
Safety typically isn't a position hurt by the 30 and over bug. In fact, many corners revive their careers by transitioning to safety and Strong Safety I would think would have an even longer longevity because cover skills are not the staple of a SS but more a hybrid able to cover linebacker. If you can hit and stay healthy you can play a long time at Strong Safety.

True, but Kam isn't your typical safety. There's a LOT of wear and tear on his body with the style in which he plays, as evident by how many games he's missed and nagging injuries he's had the past 2-3 years.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Schadie001":1s4sfupc said:

Good point and valid point.

Off your point not directed at anyone....He held out last season for the preseason and 4 games. Was hurt for a couple games. And Benwah wants him to get paid after holding out and not producing for the team. Sorry boy, naw.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Love Kam but he is an expendable piece at this point, especially since he has missed quite a few games over the last three years (11 games total). Almost a full seasons worth of play. While our defense is definitely better with him, we still were able to perform at a high enough level during those 11 games. Given his age, physical style of play, and recent trend of getting annoying little injuries it is safe to say that it isn't a stretch to say that he won't be the player he once was for very long.

What I'm getting at is Chancellor is a bad investment.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Between 2018 and 2019 our entire starting secondary become free agents (barring any re-signings). That's either a lot of money or a lot of new talent, or a mix of the two. Either way, we have some pretty big decisions to make moving forward, and as players age, their price often outpaces their abilities. Would be nice to win this year before we undoubtedly start to lose some of our core players.

Seymour

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":3sumkcjq said:
Schadie001":3sumkcjq said:

Good point and valid point.

Off your point not directed at anyone....He held out last season for the preseason and 4 games. Was hurt for a couple games. And Benwah wants him to get paid after holding out and not producing for the team. Sorry boy, naw.

Actually, he held out in 2015 and it was 2 games. I agree with everything else though.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Funny.

Voting consensus is that if you are going to re-up on one deal between Kam, Jimmy, or Britt then Kam wins that vote in multiple cases.

Pete had also stated that it's going to be a priority to keep him here.

Barring some major injury he probably stays for another 3 years. When your bigtime corner is openly...eh...open to a trade and your bigtime FS talks about retirement because of one injury, you'd be stupid to let your bigtime SS go while banking on the other two.

There's some serious irony about how some fans feel about Kam vs the other two CURRENTLY. Kam was the one who wanted to stay, albeit going about it the wrong way, while one was so disgruntled that he wanted a trade and the other wanted to quit because he got hurt. It's almost laughable.

Any thought of decline thus far is wishful thinking.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
vin.couve12":118u40xc said:
There's some serious irony about how some fans feel about Kam vs the other two CURRENTLY. Kam was the one who wanted to stay, albeit going about it the wrong way, while one was so disgruntled that he wanted a trade and the other wanted to quit because he got hurt. It's almost laughable.

What makes you think Jimmy and Britt don't want to stay?

They're the ones who have just shut up, put on their pads and played. No complaining or hold outs. Doesn't mean they don't want to stay, or are indifferent.

They just know they don't have the leverage right now (or last year) to demand new deals..........unlike Kam thought he had, and was horribly mistaken.

massari

Reaction score
The Seahawks apparently graded SS Delano Hill a 1st or 2nd round grade. So if he shows a little something, Kam will get $11M per somewhere else and fetch a 3rd round comp pick.

Seymour

Reaction score
Right now, and keeping in mind what happened when we lost Unger, I'd say Britt is the key to sign as far as the future goes. And yes, I'm expecting injuries to continue to slow Kam and cost game time as well.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":18qqmd2f said:
vin.couve12":18qqmd2f said:

They're the ones who have just shut up, put on their pads and played. No complaining or hold outs. Doesn't mean they don't want to stay, or are indifferent.

They just know they don't have the leverage right now (or last year) to demand new deals..........unlike Kam thought he had, and was horribly mistaken.

Your post is an emotional exhibit A.

What happened isn't the point. The point is assets in the LOB beyond this year. Kam will likely being playing at a higher level longer than Sherm and will likely play longer than Earl in general. A realist might say that we get one and only one LOB worthy member out of this years draft stock. If we get two, it would almost be a miracle.

If it's strictly business, Kam probably has the most longevity of the 3 players and we'll have to fill in the rest.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Seymour":2o03lgrq said:
vin.couve12":2o03lgrq said:
Sgt. Largent":2o03lgrq said:
vin.couve12":2o03lgrq said:

Your post is an emotional exhibit A.

What happened isn't the point. The point is assets in the LOB beyond this year. Kam will likely being playing at a higher level longer than Sherm and will likely play longer than Earl in general. A realist might say that we get one and only one LOB worthy member out of this years draft stock. If we get two, it would almost be a miracle.

If it's strictly business, Kam probably has the most longevity of the 3 players and we'll have to fill in the rest.

How could Kam possibly have more projected longevity than a 26 year old Justin Britt?
3 current LOB players. Not the other 3. I should have been more clear there, yeah.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1i7hskdg said:

Not sure how you come to this conclusion. Britt is three years younger than Kam and has 10% of the wear and tear and injury history that Kam has on his body.

We can debate of the three who is more important to resign, I can roll with that discussion saying Kam is the most important. But longevity? Definitely #2 of these three, if not #3.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2zqgwjsl said:
vin.couve12":2zqgwjsl said:

Not sure how you come to this conclusion. Britt is three years younger than Kam and has 10% of the wear and tear and injury history that Kam has on his body.

We can debate of the three who is more important to resign, I can roll with that discussion saying Kam is the most important. But longevity? Definitely #2 of these three, if not #3.

His post was a bit confusing, as he mentions Brit and Kam together as upcoming free agents, but when he talks about the "other 3", it appears as he's talking about the rest of the defensive backfield starters.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Hear me out here.

When it comes to Kam, there's a bit of a reverse Russell Wilson syndrome, that Sherman complained about.

He hurt you. I get it, but this is still a business.

Cornerbacks, even heady ones with truly elite athletic ability, have a steep, steep drop off (Revis for example). On top of that, we just saw some mutual trade interest and some locker room drama.

Is this a good bet?

Free safeties also have a pretty big drop off, albeit not at the same downfall as corners, but whatever. The Kam injuries and style of play you can basically throw out the window when looking at Earl. Both players have been banged up and played through. Earl probably played more physical last year than any other year after having a really rought start to the season while also having tackling trouble due to a shoulder and on top of that, he has a body type that isn't the most strucurally sound for the way he often likes to play where he was also contemplating retirement from a broken leg.

Is that a good bet?

Meanwhile there have been a lot of SSs that have played at a high level for a very long time even playing with multiple injuries who are of generally the same mold. The 220 something pound hitters. Granted, I don't think any of then played as violent as Kam does amd that obviously should be considered. However, there has never been any doubt rhat he wants to be here even when he broke your heart or whatever.

Is that a good bet?

All I'm saying is that all 3 of those contracts are on tje horizon. Britt and Jimmy aren't necessarily going to be affected by Kam because it's possible and maybe even likely that they could be affected by Sherm or even ET. If Sherm is traded next year, I wouldn't be surprised. If ET gets anothe4 big injury and retires or even if he doesn't get another injury and retires, I wouldn't be surprised.

It's not even out of the realm of possibility that the whole LOB is gone in two years. What I'm saying is take each player's worth as a calculated asset and leave the emotion out of it and remember that it's not even reasonable to have the expectation that even 1 of the 4 DB draft picks this year nets us LOB type returns. You gotta bring that back down to earth here. All 3 of those LOB players are special and special just can't be the expectation. That's called being spoiled.

Just think about contracts as a whole in the staggered fashion that they are. Not offense vs defense, player vs player, etc. There's some wiggle room there and the unexpected will provide even more wiggle room.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Shut up Michael. First you complain about your contract that you willingly signed, then you get a new contract, now you're being disgruntled for other players? How long until he is complaining about his new deal? My guess, next off season when a lesser player gets a better contract.