Bennett on Kam Chancellor

vin.couve12

Reaction score
My guess is that his saying that has more to do with Kam's extension trying to get done right now rather than a compaint as to when it's going to happen. I'll laugh if we see that the deal got done weeks from now with little to no raise for this year given the alloted room or lack there of.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/

Austin Davis - 695k
Kearse - 4m
P rich - 1.5m
Rodney Smith 615k
Lacy - 3.6m
Willson - 1.8m
Joekel - 7.25m
Rubin 3.7m
Lane 5.25m
McDougald 1.8m

That's what those players are making this year and it's a hair over 30m if they aren't next year. I was temped to throw Avril on there, but he probably won't fall off. I was tempted to throw Jimmy and his 10m on there, but who knows. You could obviously throw Kam and his 8m on there too.

The point is we have some contracts with questionable ROI and even the 600k ones add up quick.

It's fine, people. We should be able to make the right moves, whatever that is.

LolaRox

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1bmlq602 said:
Love Kam but he is an expendable piece at this point, especially since he has missed quite a few games over the last three years (11 games total). Almost a full seasons worth of play. While our defense is definitely better with him, we still were able to perform at a high enough level during those 11 games. Given his age, physical style of play, and recent trend of getting annoying little injuries it is safe to say that it isn't a stretch to say that he won't be the player he once was for very long.

What I'm getting at is Chancellor is a bad investment.

I agree with all of this. At this point in his career, given the things you listed, make it him a bad long term investment especially if you they have to do it at market value. If they can agree to a shorter less expensive deal then I can see value in it.

chris98251

Reaction score
Kam has had multiple surgery's on ankles, knee, a shoulder if I remember also Safeties that play in a 34 like Polumalu had a longer career because they were not the sole enforcers, Sanders in Indy was the Force and the Brians there and tried to hang on as long as he could but declined quickly due to a constant amount of dings and nagging injuries till he was not the same player. Kams a heady player and makes up for things with smarts now over athletic edge, how often did we see the big hit last year, his ankles cost him leverage or launch ability, Sherman banged up and Earl getting hurt and Lane I think suffering from PTD from his severe injury, he isn't hitting like before either.

We drafted Safety heavy for a reason, insurance and to start getting younger and healthier, were not going to offer much till later after we see how these guys do and how well Kam, Earl, and Sherm come back, Shead is a longer prospect to return and some of these guys we picked up could supplant him easily as well.

Paydays for past glory isn't going to happen, it's what have you done for me lately. Hard decisions are coming, not this season unless some of the new blood blows people away but surely next year.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Bennett seems to think there is an endless spigot of money (well with Paul Allen yeah) and no salary cap.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
The poster who mentioned the third round comp pick gets it.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Just like Russell Wilson a year ago, the L.O.B. will ultimately have to grapple with this complicated balance between continuing to forge their legacy & squeezing a lemon. Their already extraordinary accomplishments, as well as the abundant warchest the league has amassed from our gratuitous amusement, has earned these players the opportunity to choose between great and greater. Can we all agree that without a salary cap this would never be an issue? Perhaps all three would sign their freshly inked contracts at the same time.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1ypixdz4 said:
Just like Russell Wilson a year ago, the L.O.B. will ultimately have to grapple with this complicated balance between continuing to forge their legacy & squeezing a lemon. Their already extraordinary accomplishments, as well as the abundant warchest the league has amassed from our gratuitous amusement, has earned these players the opportunity to choose between great and greater. Can we all agree that without a salary cap this would never be an issue? Perhaps all three would sign their freshly inked contracts at the same time.

Good words and great post. Sounds more like the L.O.B. is now possibly changing the name a bit more too...to the Legacy of Boom. They were good and are backfilling at the moment for the next phase. As they become more selfish, they become less important. TEam is where they made hay in the sunshine. Now they are losing the field due to too many cash cows wanting their share and someone elses too. Only so many bales of hay in the field.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
They were 'good'? Phssshhh.....They were GREAT!!!

NINEster

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2m209qj2 said:
I dont see Kam on the team next season. He's on the decline and he'll want to much. Also, Bennett needs to zip it. He's worse than Sherman.

The downside to the Pete Carroll extreme take on the "let them be themselves" coaching philosophy.

Own The West

Reaction score
Let Bennett run his mouth. Talk is cheap. What matters is he shows up to play on Sunday and goes 110%.

Kam held out. Then he came in 90% and had an awful season. He doesn't have a step to lose, and this would be a good "sell high" moment.

I'd say let Jimmy walk too. We don't use him correctly to warrant $10M.

If we stay out of free agency, those two might get us a couple 3rd round comp picks.

KillerB

Reaction score
I love me some Kam. But in a choice between giving him Reshad Jones money (or more), and letting him go...freeing up money and getting a third round comp?

The Seahawks have to do this Patriots style, not Dolphins style.

Hyak

Reaction score
I absolutely think that this draft is a hedge against the secondary players who are coming up on 3rd contracts.

I sure don't see a Reshard Jones type of deal on the horizon unless it's a fluff contract with no guarantees beyond year 3.

edogg23

Reaction score
It drives me crazy every time I hear Clayton say that they need to resign Kam before the season starts.
NO, if you are serious about competing in preseason for a starting job then you need to let him compete this season, prove his body can stay healthy and then sign him in the off season if the money makes sense at that point. Otherwise you collect the comp pick and move on.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I love Kam but he is getting older, has struggled with injuries and his anywhere between the 4th-7th best player on defense currently. I don't think 10+ mil would be a wise decision at this point, on the other hand I would be sad to see him leave but that is what you get with a salary cap.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
edogg23":c4gwo6pt said:
It drives me crazy every time I hear Clayton say that they need to resign Kam before the season starts.
NO, if you are serious about competing in preseason for a starting job then you need to let him compete this season, prove his body can stay healthy and then sign him in the off season if the money makes sense at that point. Otherwise you collect the comp pick and move on.

I think what Clayton and others are saying is IF you're going to give Kam a new deal, do it before the beginning of the season so there are no distractions..........and Kam being discontent all year cause he realized he's not wanted back next year.

So yeah, if we're gonna give Kam a new deal? Do it now, don't wait.

Latest posts