Bennett Plantar Fascia injury

Hawks46

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1gm6dgnm said:
It is one of those frustrating, hard to nail down problems. The symptoms don't always correlate well with the severity of the damage. Like turf toe, each injury is unique and you can't necessarily predict how the patient will be able to function based on how others have recovered after a similar degree of injury. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear that he is pursuing PRP injections, orthotripsy, or possibly Regenokine injection during the bye week. Full recovery won't come until the off season unless he wants to take several weeks off mid-season. Being said, it wouldn't be uncommon for a player to play through the injury. There may be games where he has to come out for a while though. When it flares, it feels like your foot is being held in a puddle of burning gasoline.

Does getting rest immediately after the injury generally help with the recovery ? Or is it still like you said; a case by case situation ?

Just wondering if having the bye right after he injured it helps more.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Imagine taking a step.. and every step your heel is walking on a 16 penny nail. Trainers and medics won't tell them,(maybe) but DMSO heels it fast.. anyone ever try it for that or any other soreness?

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3lucvsl0 said:
It is one of those frustrating, hard to nail down problems. The symptoms don't always correlate well with the severity of the damage. Like turf toe, each injury is unique and you can't necessarily predict how the patient will be able to function based on how others have recovered after a similar degree of injury. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear that he is pursuing PRP injections, orthotripsy, or possibly Regenokine injection during the bye week. Full recovery won't come until the off season unless he wants to take several weeks off mid-season. Being said, it wouldn't be uncommon for a player to play through the injury. There may be games where he has to come out for a while though. When it flares, it feels like your foot is being held in a puddle of burning gasoline.

Thank you.

I took the term to mean he just didn't know how to grow weed properly. :D

Smellyman

Reaction score
It takes away all explosion.

Hard to play fast with a blown out wheel.

netskier

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1sojclxq said:
Imagine taking a step.. and every step your heel is walking on a 16 penny nail. Trainers and medics won't tell them,(maybe) but DMSO heels it fast.. anyone ever try it for that or any other soreness?

My little brother currently uses it to improve his tennis game; he had a sore hip. He also treated a sore shoulder with it. He is not sore any more, but his wife complains about the sulfur smell. But at least he is doing well on the court, if not in the courting.

Our parents both used it for several years to treat their bad backs, but gave it up eventually because of the smell, when their backs stopped hurting.

Many stores, including Costco, sell the related compound DMSO2, which is DMSO with an extra Oxygen, for aches and pains, under the name MSM, which is in many anti-arthritis products. It is less effective than DMSO, but does not give you that garlic-like breath. Being a white powder, you can not apply it topically as you can the liquid DMSO.

I have dabbled with it for minor aches and pains, sore shoulder once, and it worked quickly on me.

Vets use it as a standard treatment on million dollar race horses, the kind that run in the Kentucky Derby; they can't win races with sore limbs.

It is kept secret because big Pharma can not make money with it; it would be a billion dollar product if they could, because it works so well for so many things.

Archie Scott wrote "The DMSO Handbook for Doctors", $14, 2013, 125 pages. This book is written in language for the layman, and I highly recommend it. I ran into him last month at the annual meeting of the Cancer Control Society Convention, where he presented a paper titled "DMSO in the Treatment of Cancer, Brain Injuries & Other Problems". I asked him what he was working on now, and he told me that he was working with football players, and their physicians, wanting to treat their CTE from football.

I wonder what our BigSkyDoc thinks about DMSO. I am particularly interested in counter-indications for it. That unknown is all that stops me from using it a lot more. From what little I have read, it is extremely safe. You just have to handle it extremely carefully because it dissolves almost everything, and could carry toxic chemicals into your body through the skin on your hands.

I would be amazed if pro football team trainers were not using it on their players.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Schadie001":2oxd677d said:
I had it in my right foot for a solid year. He will be fine..it usually doesn’t hurt when you are active. It always hurt the worst in the morning or after I had been sitting for a while. There are shoe inserts that take the pressure off. It will be uncomfortable but not unplayable. There are worse injuries to have.

I think you are confusing plantar fasciitis with a plantar fascial tear. Different medical problems entirely. A fascial tear just needs time to heal unless its a complete tear and then needs surgery. Plantar fasciitis is like a chronic tendinosis (similar to tennis elbow, achilles tendinitis, iliotibial band syndrome). It's more a chronic wear and tear issue with little inflammation.

Bennett tore his plantar fascia. It will heal with 4-6 weeks of rest. But if he wants to play, he can support it with insoles but it will be painful and not heal until after the season. If it's a minor tear, he might be better off resting it for 4 weeks and coming back. But we'll see.

Tical21

Reaction score
Hopefully it isn't like a tear or partial tear.

New shoes could help tremendously. There's also a boot you can sleep in that keeps the fascia extended that helps a lot of people within a few weeks. But he'll be in the pool and on the bike a lot. Off his feet. I'd guess he'll be able to play on Sundays.

I've had two different kinds. I've had it in the arch of my foot, where I'd wake up in the morning and I had to crawl to the shower, crawl to the kitchen and crawl to my clothes and crawl to the car. By the time I got to work I could kind of walk. Stretch it out the fascia during the day and it wasn't noticeable until the next morning. This was remedied literally within two weeks once I got shoes with more cushion.

I've got it now where it's not in the arch, but right on the ball of the heel. Probably more of a heel spur than plantar fasciitis. It doesn't hurt in the morning, but gets more and more painful the more I'm on my feet. If I play basketball or go running, it's extremely painful the following day or two. Not sure how to remedy this one yet. Tried heel cups and insoles, and am ordering the boot today.

Anajimmc

Reaction score
netskier":1jszc0cx said:
Bobblehead":1jszc0cx said:

My little brother currently uses it to improve his tennis game; he had a sore hip. He also treated a sore shoulder with it. He is not sore any more, but his wife complains about the sulfur smell. But at least he is doing well on the court, if not in the courting.

Our parents both used it for several years to treat their bad backs, but gave it up eventually because of the smell, when their backs stopped hurting.

Many stores, including Costco, sell the related compound DMSO2, which is DMSO with an extra Oxygen, for aches and pains, under the name MSM, which is in many anti-arthritis products. It is less effective than DMSO, but does not give you that garlic-like breath. Being a white powder, you can not apply it topically as you can the liquid DMSO.

I have dabbled with it for minor aches and pains, sore shoulder once, and it worked quickly on me.

Vets use it as a standard treatment on million dollar race horses, the kind that run in the Kentucky Derby; they can't win races with sore limbs.

It is kept secret because big Pharma can not make money with it; it would be a billion dollar product if they could, because it works so well for so many things.

Archie Scott wrote "The DMSO Handbook for Doctors", $14, 2013, 125 pages. This book is written in language for the layman, and I highly recommend it. I ran into him last month at the annual meeting of the Cancer Control Society Convention, where he presented a paper titled "DMSO in the Treatment of Cancer, Brain Injuries & Other Problems". I asked him what he was working on now, and he told me that he was working with football players, and their physicians, wanting to treat their CTE from football.

I wonder what our BigSkyDoc thinks about DMSO. I am particularly interested in counter-indications for it. That unknown is all that stops me from using it a lot more. From what little I have read, it is extremely safe. You just have to handle it extremely carefully because it dissolves almost everything, and could carry toxic chemicals into your body through the skin on your hands.

I would be amazed if pro football team trainers were not using it on their players.

I've never used DMSO, but worked out with 2 guys who used it regularly, both died young. Now I'm not saying that DMSO had anything to do with it, but a solvent DiMethylSulphoxide scared the hell outta me, and I never tried it. They said that seconds after use they could taste garlic in their mouth. My fear was that a chemical that could move throughout your body that rapidly was something not to take lightly. They used it as a transport medium for anti-inflammatories.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Anajimmc":3q3sv9rz said:
netskier":3q3sv9rz said:
Bobblehead":3q3sv9rz said:

I've never used DMSO, but worked out with 2 guys who used it regularly, both died young. Now I'm not saying that DMSO had anything to do with it, but a solvent DiMethylSulphoxide scared the hell outta me, and I never tried it. They said that seconds after use they could taste garlic in their mouth. My fear was that a chemical that could move throughout your body that rapidly was something not to take lightly. They used it as a transport medium for anti-inflammatories.

There has never been a death diagnosed as a result of DMSO. Big Pharm wants to scare you away from it since it really is a marvel as a delivery system for other things and as a anti inflammatory. Yeah, you can get scented DMSO that masks it and becomes unnoticeable. The healing ability and pain relief more than makes up for the taste. BTW, it's a natural product, it's not a man made chemical.. BIG Pharm also applied the label as a solvent just to scare you more so. Again, I"ve had PF and a week of DMSO, it was gone.. in fact, a day after, the pain in minimal.

Bobblehead

Reaction score

I"m thinking trainers and team Doctors won't prescribe anything that is not FDA approved in case of legal ramifications.
I'm pretty sure, the players would have to take it upon themselves.

907Hawk

Reaction score
netskier":3epnsftc said:
JGfromtheNW":3epnsftc said:
Damn that's a bummer it was a plantar fascia injury, but as stated already it's not the worst of things to deal with. Zach Miller dealt with it and played through it in 2012 or 2013 IIRC.

It's one of those nagging injuries that, as far as I know, requires total rest (as in no athletics) for it to fully heal. If we weren't already down Avril I'd like to see him take a few weeks off now and try to get it right for the rest of the season.

I recall Zach playing courageously with his injury, but never really playing well with it.

Miller tore his plantar fascia on the third play of the Divisional Playoffs in Atlanta game in 2013, and finished the game with eight receptions for 142 yards and a touchdown. Im sure they shot his foot up to allow him to play though the pain.

JimmyG

Reaction score
Mad Dog":275m800p said:
Schadie001":275m800p said:
I had it in my right foot for a solid year. He will be fine..it usually doesn’t hurt when you are active. It always hurt the worst in the morning or after I had been sitting for a while. There are shoe inserts that take the pressure off. It will be uncomfortable but not unplayable. There are worse injuries to have.

I think you are confusing plantar fasciitis with a plantar fascial tear. Different medical problems entirely. A fascial tear just needs time to heal unless its a complete tear and then needs surgery. Plantar fasciitis is like a chronic tendinosis (similar to tennis elbow, achilles tendinitis, iliotibial band syndrome). It's more a chronic wear and tear issue with little inflammation.
Thanks for bringing this up, this is a good point -- it's easy to conflate the two. When I read the topic title, I immediately thought of Albert Pujols who has battled plantar fascitis for many, many years.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
D is old = more injuries.

Bennett is not the force he once was anyways. If he goes down it's a loss, but not a huge one.

Smellyman

Reaction score
semiahmoo":3os3tzvu said:

Bennett is not the force he once was anyways. If he goes down it's a loss, but not a huge one.

Plus his Plantars were too big slowing him down.

Seymour

Reaction score
Smellyman":2mzd9p1g said:
semiahmoo":2mzd9p1g said:

Plus his Plantars were too big slowing him down.

Agree. Too damn slow, and tired of playing for peanuts.

Mr_peanut.png

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
"Peanuts"? The average American making $50,000 a year will bring in $2 million in a lifetime. What does Bennet make? ....about 4X that in a year! Let's put things in perspective.

adeltaY

Reaction score
semiahmoo":17xi6sgf said:

Yeah maybe he should just amputate his foot, it'll stop slowing him down. :mrgreen:

NINEster

Reaction score
Peyton still won a super bowl playing through this injury.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":11v2wm5g said:
"Peanuts"? The average American making $50,000 a year will bring in $2 million in a lifetime. What does Bennet make? ....about 4X that in a year! Let's put things in perspective.

Literal much? Wordplay is lost on some... Okay, I'll go ahead and explain. The topic is a Plantar Fascia injury. 'Plantar' sounds like 'Planters'. Planters is a brand of peanut. Mr Peanut was even included to make it more obvious.

I hope this helps.

Mindsink

Reaction score
GeekHawk":1b6vpx11 said:
Bigpumpkin":1b6vpx11 said:

Literal much? Wordplay is lost on some... Okay, I'll go ahead and explain. The topic is a Plantar Fascia injury. 'Plantar' sounds like 'Planters'. Planters is a brand of peanut. Mr Peanut was even included to make it more obvious.

I hope this helps.

Haha! Too good! :2thumbs: