Bevell to the Wisconsin Badgers?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
If you think this offense is going to look markedly different under any other OC, then you are kidding yourself. This is Pete's offense. Ever since he let Lane and Sark "run" his offense when they were punk kids, Pete has always been the puppet master. If you step out of line, you get fired, even if somewhat successful (see: Jeremy Bates).

If you got problems with the offense and playcalling, you got problems with Pete. Not that you should, we have a top-5 offense right now. "But what about the redzone," they scream. "Get a Chip Kelly clone," they demand. Look into the numbers: Philly's redzone offense is a lot worse than ours. But don't let facts get in the way.

Bprez3

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2e8lydco said:
If you think this offense is going to look markedly different under any other OC, then you are kidding yourself. This is Pete's offense. Ever since he let Lane and Sark "run" his offense when they were punk kids, Pete has always been the puppet master. If you step out of line, you get fired, even if somewhat successful (see: Jeremy Bates).

If you got problems with the offense and playcalling, you got problems with Pete. Not that you should, we have a top-5 offense right now. "But what about the redzone," they scream. "Get a Chip Kelly clone," they demand. Look into the numbers: Philly's redzone offense is a lot worse than ours. But don't let facts get in the way.

When it comes to Offense we are hardly top-5. Looking at Points For we are 11th in the league. Which is the only stat that matters when it comes to Offense and Defense (Points Against) in my opinion.

HawkWow

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3in12m4q said:

If you got problems with the offense and playcalling, you got problems with Pete. .

Thank you.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Bprez3":287kkudi said:
When it comes to Offense we are hardly top-5. When it comes to Points For we are 11th in the league. Which is the only stat that matters when it comes to Offense and Defense (Points Against) in my opinion.

Advanced metrics have us as the #5 rated offense (here: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff).

Total points scored are also a function of special teams and defensive scores. It is also a function of tempo -- some teams get more possessions because they play faster; and thus they score more. Points scored is one measure of an offense, but it fails to tell the entire story.

More fun with facts:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BestGuyAround/status/542832155731427328[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BestGuyAround/status/542835285630152704[/tweet]

Bprez3

Reaction score
DavidSeven":20y9nnmt said:
Bprez3":20y9nnmt said:
When it comes to Offense we are hardly top-5. When it comes to Points For we are 11th in the league. Which is the only stat that matters when it comes to Offense and Defense (Points Against) in my opinion.

Advanced metrics have us as the #5 rated offense (here: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff).

Total points scored are also a function of special teams and defensive scores. It is also a function of tempo -- some teams get more possessions because they play faster; and thus they score more. Points scored is one measure of an offense, but it fails to tell the entire story.

More fun with facts:

Advanced metrics are great, but the flaw is we are looking at 12-14. If memory serves me correct those numbers would be greatly skewed especially how we were dismatling teams at the end of 12.

Total points for are a function of total points for. Every team has special team and defensive scores. Thus balancing those factors out. No question tempo is a factor, but garbage time is also a factor when it comes to points for. When watching the Hawks this year do you truly feel that they are a top 5 Offense?

seedhawk

Reaction score
One comment only! A bunch of you better be damn carefull what you wish for.

HawkWow

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2auonztj said:
Bprez3":2auonztj said:

More fun with facts:

And a bunch of those possessions.. quite time consuming.

I'm not as smart as some of the other guys in here. We have some very intelligent posters here that are big time down on Bevell. And they brings facts, Xs and Os, to support their position. All I know is what you stated a couple posts ago...this is Pete's team. O and D. I am certain Bevell would like to be more creative. Offense is his passion and he's obviously capable. As frustrated as some are with him, imagine how he feels having his hands tied or his training wheels still attached.

As they say...winning is a great deodorant and we've been smelling a lot of victory here as of late.

Bprez3

Reaction score
seedhawk":1nz6pju3 said:

Sometimes the grass is greener. Dan Quinn > Gus Bradley (advanced metrics)

Bprez3

Reaction score
My frustration with Bevell was the usage of Harvin, bubble screens, predictable jet sweeps, and lack of getting him the ball other ways. I am not trying to open that can of worms at all. That's where my disdain for him comes from. He should have had the ability to take the training wheels off. We all know how that worked out.

I've been lurking on this site for awhile. I forgot how much fun it is to get into a good natured debate with fellow fans. My in-laws are from SF so please use your imagination with those "discussions"

HawkWow

Reaction score
Bprez3":1d8qptav said:
My frustration with Bevell was the usage of Harvin, bubble screens, predictable jet sweeps, and lack of getting him the ball other ways. I am not trying to open that can of worms at all. That's where my disdain for him comes from. He should have had the ability to take the training wheels off. We all know how that worked out.

I've been lurking on this site for awhile. I forgot how much fun it is to get into a good natured debate with fellow fans. My in-laws are from SF so please use your imagination with those "discussions"

But even then, Bevell's hands were somewhat tied. Pete and Co were not going to try to turn Harvin into something he's not (deep routes etc) while showcasing him, trying to trade him. Bevell was just trying to position Harvin to his strengths, hoping he'd break a few...then never stop running ala Bo Jackson...right on out of the stadium.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Guessing Pete drives the philosophy or strategy on offense, but would be surprised if he's actively involved with actual play design very much or individual play calls in game. Pretty sure this is where people call into question Bevell. Have had plenty of head scratching moments myself at times this year, where play failure seemed less on the execution and more on the design or situation it's used. So, I'm on the fence when it comes to Bevell.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Bprez3":aeiqvr7s said:
seedhawk":aeiqvr7s said:

And it happened in the off season, not the middle of what we hope is a deep playoff run!

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
This is great leverage for Bevell. If I were him I'd go to Seahawks and ask for a pay raise.

Unfortunate timing though for us. Even if people don't like the guy, its not good to have a shakeup in the coaching staff mid-season.

Bprez3

Reaction score
seedhawk":2ngf4j9l said:
Bprez3":2ngf4j9l said:
seedhawk":2ngf4j9l said:

And it happened in the off season, not the middle of what we hope is a deep playoff run!

Right. I do not want him to leave now (as previously posted). We have had enough drama already this season. I hope he gets a new job, and like Quinn I hope the replacement is an improvement. No way they are going to let him go midseason / playoffs.

In regards to Pete and the Offense he totally drives the philosphy. Odds are he is more hands on with the D and the secondary due to his past coaching experience .

The Outfield

Reaction score
I think Bevell isn't bad enough for Pete/John to fire him. They're not those kind of businessmen. But if Bevell left voluntarily for another position I don't think they would cry about it. They may even be hoping that happens.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
The comments here are unbelievable. Bevel is following the orders of Pete. It is PETE that wants to limit possessions and play keep away late in games. In the AZ game we could have scored on the final drive instead we're kneeling it down inside the 10 yard line, against SF we could have kicked a fg instead we go for it trying to burn up the clock. Seattle has been a good team at running our the 4th quarter with a lead. Being able to burn 6-8 mins off the clock.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Bprez3":1n5tgpss said:
seedhawk":1n5tgpss said:
Bprez3":1n5tgpss said:
seedhawk":1n5tgpss said:

Right. I do not want him to leave now (as previously posted). We have had enough drama already this season. I hope he gets a new job, and like Quinn I hope the replacement is an improvement. No way they are going to let him go midseason / playoffs.

In regards to Pete and the Offense he totally drives the philosphy. Odds are he is more hands on with the D and the secondary due to his past coaching experience .

No offense meant in any way, but, I truly believe Pete has his hands in every facet of this team. Thats why Bevell calls plays instead of Cable. Its why Quinn gets the long leash he has, as long as it fits Pete's parameters.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
jlwaters1":2hqk9b6g said:
The comments here are unbelievable. Bevel is following the orders of Pete. It is PETE that wants to limit possessions and play keep away late in games. In the AZ game we could have scored on the final drive instead we're kneeling it down inside the 10 yard line, against SF we could have kicked a fg instead we go for it trying to burn up the clock. Seattle has been a good team at running our the 4th quarter with a lead. Being able to burn 6-8 mins off the clock.
Is Pete telling him not to counter defenses? To just follow the script? To not give the ball to Beast at times?

Bprez3

Reaction score
Take a lot more than that to offend me. My in-laws are 49er fans......now that's offensive

The Outfield

Reaction score
-The Glove-":3ocftn72 said:
jlwaters1":3ocftn72 said:
Is Pete telling him not to counter defenses? To just follow the script? To not give the ball to Beast at times?

Yeah, Pete might be telling him overall how he wants the offense ran, but he is definitely not telling him what to do every play.