Bevell

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
nash72":3780fpl2 said:
Siouxhawk":3780fpl2 said:
nash72":3780fpl2 said:
Siouxhawk":3780fpl2 said:
Easy exercise. It's simply you projecting your value of success on another.
Did you see today where McDaniels opted to stay in his OC position instead of being the likely head coach of the Niners? After some soul searching, he probably figured it was better for his family, well-being and career to stay with the Pats. He likes it there.
Same with Bev. He obviously enjoys working with Pete, the staff and the players. He's been there every step of the way, helping to lay a foundation of success that is unparalleled in franchise history. He likely takes a huge amount of pride in that and it's validated with every win and the development of the players he works with.

Except that McDaniels was widely publicized for being a candidate for the job as is Cable. When it comes to Bevell its the usual crickets chirping. Bevell cant decide to stay in one place if the he was never offered another position to start with.
And neither of us knows what's going on behind the scenes. Maybe he told his agent that he wouldn't be interested in HC offers now. Perhaps he likes where he's at and is preparing himself to step in as Pete's successor when that time comes. Or maybe he just likes being an OC. Tom Moore was like that.

Why is your excuse always that its some secret or conspiracy with any job offers for Bevell? Coaching applicants are always reported and publicized. Its no great wonder why we never hear Bevells name mentioned.
As I stated, maybe he told his agent he's not interested in a HC job right now, thus it never develops into anything more. It's doubtful we hear 50 percent of those kinds of dealings.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":3kwup21s said:
Siouxhawk":3kwup21s said:
Don't look at me to defend the Niners. Won't do it.

Money would be the obvious lure, though. He would be set for life. And I think I heard that the new coach there would pick the GM or have a heavy influence in that decision. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

But he did turn down a head coaching gig in the NFL and there's only 32 of them.

He also has the experience as a Head Coach to know a bad situation, and what works and what doesn't.
I totally agree. And you seldom get invited back for a third head job if the first two don't work out.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3owot9ha said:
nash72":3owot9ha said:
Siouxhawk":3owot9ha said:
Did you see today where McDaniels opted to stay in his OC position instead of being the likely head coach of the Niners? After some soul searching, he probably figured it was better for his family, well-being and career to stay with the Pats. He likes it there.
Same with Bev. He obviously enjoys working with Pete, the staff and the players. He's been there every step of the way, helping to lay a foundation of success that is unparalleled in franchise history. He likely takes a huge amount of pride in that and it's validated with every win and the development of the players he works with.

Except that McDaniels was widely publicized for being a candidate for the job as is Cable. When it comes to Bevell its the usual crickets chirping. Bevell cant decide to stay in one place if the he was never offered another position to start with.
And neither of us knows what's going on behind the scenes. Maybe he told his agent that he wouldn't be interested in HC offers now. Perhaps he likes where he's at and is preparing himself to step in as Pete's successor when that time comes. Or maybe he just likes being an OC. Tom Moore was like that.

this conversation just jumped the shark.

now you got Bevell as the loyal soldier refusing to leave, or picking out wallpaper to redo Petes office when he finally hangs it up. He interviews for every HC opportunity he can. He's got one foot out the door problem is everybody keeps closing the door on his foot. I can listen to the Bevell isn't the problem talk, I can listen to the Bevell is a good OC talk, I disagree on both counts but I at least see the bad arguments made in those cases lol but now you're just reaching. Bevell as far as I know has made only 1 short list out of all of his interviews and he got passed up on that one, he's not relaying messages to wait it out. He's had head coaching interviews with the bears, cards, jags ( who went with Bradley between the 2), wash, minny, buffalo, oakland, I believe denver brought him in as well and I can't remember who else. You don't interview for all those if you aren't interested. He's never been offered anything and he's not here because its his 1st choice, he's here because it's the only choice. His situation is nothing like McDaniels who is a sought after commodity.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
flmmkrz":22ih7igm said:
Siouxhawk":22ih7igm said:
nash72":22ih7igm said:
Siouxhawk":22ih7igm said:

this conversation just jumped the shark.

now you got Bevell as the loyal soldier refusing to leave, or picking out wallpaper to redo Petes office when he finally hangs it up. He interviews for every HC opportunity he can. He's got one foot out the door problem is everybody keeps closing the door on his foot. I can listen to the Bevell isn't the problem talk, I can listen to the Bevell is a good OC talk, I disagree on both counts but I at least see the bad arguments made in those cases lol but now you're just reaching. Bevell as far as I know has made only 1 short list out of all of his interviews and he got passed up on that one, he's not relaying messages to wait it out. He's had head coaching interviews with the bears, cards, jags ( who went with Bradley between the 2), wash, minny, buffalo, oakland, I believe denver brought him in as well and I can't remember who else. You don't interview for all those if you aren't interested. He's never been offered anything and he's not here because its his 1st choice, he's here because it's the only choice. His situation is nothing like McDaniels who is a sought after commodity.
Do you have links that can prove he had all those supposed interviews, because I'm only aware of 1, and I believe that was Miami 3 years (before Philbin).
And I doubt you on the Hawks not being his first choice in 2011. He came into a system that he transitioned well into after working with a similar style in Minnesota. Plus he got the chance to work with Pete.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":gy0rbzxv said:
Do you have links that can prove he had all those supposed interviews, because I'm only aware of 1, and I believe that was Miami 3 years (before Philbin).
And I doubt you on the Hawks not being his first choice in 2011. He came into a system that he transitioned well into after working with a similar style in Minnesota. Plus he got the chance to work with Pete.
Most of his interview requests were probably just bait to pressure the guy the other team was really interested in to sign with them. Don't even try to pretend that this isn't a common tactic in business; even $15/hr jobs pull this on interviewees, lol.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":qmz60qp2 said:
Siouxhawk":qmz60qp2 said:
Most of his interview requests were probably just bait to pressure the guy the other team was really interested in to sign with them. Don't even try to pretend that this isn't a common tactic in business; even $15/hr jobs pull this on interviewees, lol.
I'm saying I'm not aware of any of these interview requests and am just looking for some proof.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3elbka62 said:
[

well this article from 2015 says he had all those interviews and If you really need me to find one that says that Denver looked at him too I can dig it up but I'm not just pulling it outta my butt, it's reported and he says in the article that he was greatful for those opportunities and it'll happen when it happens...so doesn't sound like he was turning them down. He did have those interviews they just didn't want him.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...eahawks-darrell-bevell-coaching-nfl/22550721/

I didn't say the hawks weren't his first choice in 2011, nobody was offering him a hc opportunity in 2011, I don't know that anybody else was offering him anything back in 2011 but Pete but they could have been. An OC gig after he was let go from Minny, was a job, and it was working for Pete and of course it was a great opportunity at the time. I wasn't talking about 2011, I made NO mention of 2011. I thought it was pretty clear that I was talking about now but I guess not. He is here now because there is nobody wanting to offer him a promotion elsewhere. If they were he'd be out the door, he's been trying to parlay the teams success into a hc gig for some time now. The proof is there.

AgentDib

Reaction score
sdog1981":156qdngz said:
What happened to the decisive Seahawks? The Seahawks used to be a club of decisive action they are getting stale and the league is starting to figure them out.
It's really not hard to figure out. The moves were decisive and bold when you agreed with them, and now that you do not they are suddenly just too loyal and afraid to make the right moves. Maybe you can't see it because you're so sure your opinion is right?

hawkfannj":156qdngz said:
Everyone has an opinion and maybe Pete is wrong on this.
Is it also possible that you're wrong on this? Or is it just the most successful front office in our tenure that is clearly wrong? I don't care that most of you have reactionary opinions formed from listening to the echo chamber around here but it's sort of ridiculous to be as overconfident about it as everybody is.

RolandDeschain":156qdngz said:
"avoid throwing jump balls to arguably the best jump ball-catching player in the NFL at almost all costs."
I'm surprised you would even question whether Pete is behind this one. One of the keys to his philosophy is minimizing risk on offense and capitalizing on risk on defense.

Whatever your thoughts on 2010 Hass, most of those INTs came when we were trailing in a game and conventional wisdom dictated taking on more risk to increase the chance of winning. Pete hates that, however, because he'd rather gamble on his defense making a play then risk his offense committing a turnover. The writing was on the wall when after every game with multiple INTs Pete would point to turnovers as the key factor for the loss. I'll bet long odds that Pete has been in Russ's ear from day 0 regarding minimizing risk and not taking chances with the football.

It's probably my least favorite part about his philosophy because when the defense isn't perfect then it has a tendency to backfire. Case in point not trying to score at the end of the half on Saturday when we surrendered an entire possession just to avoid further risk.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Pete's fine with taking shots down field on play action and the like. Protect the ball is a key mantra for him, that doesn't mean not taking shots at great receivers who can out-jump anybody in the NFL. :roll:

16114366_1212679352143543_8789200930111640743_n.jpg

AgentDib

Reaction score
Well if you've got a GIF of kermit the frog then clearly the case is closed.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
flmmkrz":1wbqc916 said:
Siouxhawk":1wbqc916 said:
[

well this article from 2015 says he had all those interviews and If you really need me to find one that says that Denver looked at him too I can dig it up but I'm not just pulling it outta my butt, it's reported and he says in the article that he was greatful for those opportunities and it'll happen when it happens...so doesn't sound like he was turning them down. He did have those interviews they just didn't want him.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...eahawks-darrell-bevell-coaching-nfl/22550721/

I didn't say the hawks weren't his first choice in 2011, nobody was offering him a hc opportunity in 2011, I don't know that anybody else was offering him anything back in 2011 but Pete but they could have been. An OC gig after he was let go from Minny, was a job, and it was working for Pete and of course it was a great opportunity at the time. I wasn't talking about 2011, I made NO mention of 2011. I thought it was pretty clear that I was talking about now but I guess not. He is here now because there is nobody wanting to offer him a promotion elsewhere. If they were he'd be out the door, he's been trying to parlay the teams success into a hc gig for some time now. The proof is there.
Cool article. Thanks. I didn't realize he had 7 interviews for head jobs in that 3-year span. And I heard there was some interest there from Denver right after Kubiak retired, but I don't think there was a real interview. Earliest he could've interviewed was Sunday.

SaskHawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3o8a4aie said:
As Pete succinctly said: "They don't know what they are talking about."
That "they" applies to many of you because you don't know what you are talking about. Bevell's offense has helped the Hawks win nearly 70 percent of their games over the past 5 seasons and that is astounding.

First and foremost, I have to say, I never played the game, never had the chance but have grown to love it and have been a hawk fan from a young age in the early 80's. That being said, I cannot comment on specific plays but it does seem like our offense doesn't work nearly as well as it should with the talent we have. I just look at it weekly and it seems like so many plays are designed with protection in mind, protection that isn't there 95% of there the time. So why not play to more strengths? Use Graham outside, bring him in on slants or screens where he can use his size to make more plays? Use more quick hit plays and defenses will have to back off thus allowing Wilson more time for longer plays to be run and come to fruition? These when used seem to work, so why keep going away from it? They may not always be big plays but get 5-6 yards each and it adds up?

I just look at offenses that succeed and the use of quick hit plays are a common factor imo, especially against teams that put on a lot of pressure. Our lack of his type of play calling has been a concern for a long time and imo is the reason why our offense really struggles at times, especially with Wilson hobbled like he was. There has been no protection and defending teams know that and take full advantage, just look at the hurries, hits, sacks and loss of yards we have had the last couple years.

Red zone especially I think we should make better use of our TE's, Graham is usually double teamed but maybe design a play to hit Willson with a quick hit play?

I don't know, like I say, I'm no guru but even I can see play design doesn't seem to take into account our strengths and weaknesses and as such hurts the team.

Now, we have been successful to a certain extent but that is more due to scrambling and broken plays rather than proper play calling. It just may be time to bring in someone with fresh eyes, new ideas as it seems Bevell either won't change, adjust or have the balls to tell the HC to allow him to change things up? Someone from this the outside can come in, will have seen the problems and will probably have come in with the leeway to make the changes. When we hear weekly second guessing by the broadcast teams that the play calling and use of talent is suspect, it means it probably is.

Sorry for the rant and I'm not singling you out here, just that I feel it is time for a new direction on offense. We need to have the ball in our hands longer to allow our defense to rest, they play a physical, balls out, style which takes it's toll on them as the game progresses which then allows good offenses to take advantage.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
SaskHawk":7znw87oe said:
Siouxhawk":7znw87oe said:
As Pete succinctly said: "They don't know what they are talking about."
That "they" applies to many of you because you don't know what you are talking about. Bevell's offense has helped the Hawks win nearly 70 percent of their games over the past 5 seasons and that is astounding.

First and foremost, I have to say, I never played the game, never had the chance but have grown to love it and have been a hawk fan from a young age in the early 80's. That being said, I cannot comment on specific plays but it does seem like our offense doesn't work nearly as well as it should with the talent we have. I just look at it weekly and it seems like so many plays are designed with protection in mind, protection that isn't there 95% of there the time. So why not play to more strengths? Use Graham outside, bring him in on slants or screens where he can use his size to make more plays? Use more quick hit plays and defenses will have to back off thus allowing Wilson more time for longer plays to be run and come to fruition? These when used seem to work, so why keep going away from it? They may not always be big plays but get 5-6 yards each and it adds up?

I just look at offenses that succeed and the use of quick hit plays are a common factor imo, especially against teams that put on a lot of pressure. Our lack of his type of play calling has been a concern for a long time and imo is the reason why our offense really struggles at times, especially with Wilson hobbled like he was. There has been no protection and defending teams know that and take full advantage, just look at the hurries, hits, sacks and loss of yards we have had the last couple years.

Red zone especially I think we should make better use of our TE's, Graham is usually double teamed but maybe design a play to hit Willson with a quick hit play?

I don't know, like I say, I'm no guru but even I can see play design doesn't seem to take into account our strengths and weaknesses and as such hurts the team.

Now, we have been successful to a certain extent but that is more due to scrambling and broken plays rather than proper play calling. It just may be time to bring in someone with fresh eyes, new ideas as it seems Bevell either won't change, adjust or have the balls to tell the HC to allow him to change things up? Someone from this the outside can come in, will have seen the problems and will probably have come in with the leeway to make the changes. When we hear weekly second guessing by the broadcast teams that the play calling and use of talent is suspect, it means it probably is.

Sorry for the rant and I'm not singling you out here, just that I feel it is time for a new direction on offense. We need to have the ball in our hands longer to allow our defense to rest, they play a physical, balls out, style which takes it's toll on them as the game progresses which then allows good offenses to take advantage.

Well-thought out post, but I see a lot of echo-chamber rhetoric in here that doesn't hold snuff in the truth dept.

Quick-hitting plays -- Russ got the ball out of his hands quicker than he ever has in his career, especially when he was hobbled with the injuries. Also, remember that Pete still wants our identity to be a run team and we made a concentrated effort to make that happen. Due to this desire, Jimmy was asked to block, leading to a snap count on offense that only trailed Russ and the O line. Pete seemed quite enthused with his blocking development during his Monday presser. So don't just besmirch Bevell on that; it's a collaborative decision between Pete, Cable and Bevell. What's more, Jimmy set a franchise record for tight end reception yardage in a season, so he is being utilized.

Tight end production in red zone -- It seems to me that Willson had a big year for TDs. Also, keep in mind that just because tight ends aren't getting the catches doesn't mean that they're not running the routes. They have to be targeted and Baldwin and Kearse seem to get the majority of those. That's up to Russ.

And keeping the defense off the field goes back to our desire to be a ball-control, low risk offense, which is predicted on an efficient line. You and Pete want the same thing there and that will be the coaching staff and front office's primary focus in the offseason.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":7jt56t7m said:
Flmmkrz with the head shot.

Giphy

Amazing lack of recoil in that rifle.

From the same show where people start fires in the dark all the time and somehow no zombies or people see it from a distances. Or have an entire town with lights on at night and nobody can see it in the dark from large distances.

sdog1981

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":3di2ftt8 said:
I can't imagine calling plays with this oline when guys like Brooks Reed were able to get to Russell Wilson.

That is kind of the ultimate indictment of Bevell. He should have the professional pride to stand up for himself and tell Pete that He (Bevell) needs to be able to get his own Oline coach or he (Pete) can have Tom Cable as his OC/Oline coach. The fact that Bevell never walked away from that situation and essentially ended his career shows how weak of a leader he is.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Bevell isn't a BAD OC....he's just made some really bad decisions. Overall he's had a lot of success in his career. Give him an O-line.

Latest posts