Bob Griffen, has to be said, ROTY implications

Bloodrunsblue

Reaction score
At some point it is the head coaches responsibility to protect a player from himself. This act of machismo by a player, coupled with the head coaches lack of perspective has likely degraded both RG3s future as well as the 'Skins future.

piston bully

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that they announce the rookie of the year winner just before the superbowl.What is that going to look like if rg3 or luck wins the ROTY and Wilson is suited up to be the first rookie ever play a Superbowl.

rigelian

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3mwztwrb said:
Twisted":3mwztwrb said:
JSeahawks":3mwztwrb said:
Voting was done before the game ever started.

Btw, if you think Russell Wilson wouldn't be trying to play if he was in the same situation you're crazy.

he might try injured like that but Pete wouldn't allow that, it would be disaster, I highly doubt Wilson would have been back in any play after the initial injury until he was 100% and I also think Wilson would have known he would have been more of a thorn than an asset so he would have gracefully bowed out.. I just get that impression from the guy.

also that move to play griffen was so unprofessional on so many levels its ridiculous, I'd like to think if anything the Seahawks organization is VERY professional..

my guess is this is why we are getting all the finger pointing on RG starting the game, nothing more than subterfuge to divert from the real issue.

While I agree Pete seem to lean away from playing someone injured, we don't have any data on what he'd do if he were confronted with the exact same situation with play-off on the line, etc. I tend to agree with you but we don't know for sure.

One thing for sure is that Pete seems to think getting Sweezy some quality reps is more important than the health of his QB (7 sacks by the Rams and 5 more by the Deadskins). In that sense, I don't think he's making a smart move at all. Russell Wilson can compensate for the poor pass pro to a degree, but when so many blizers are getting through and you're taking that many sacks nobody is Superman.

Actually we do have data on what Pete would do. The end of the season, Rams v. Seahawks. The playoffs were on the line and the winning team goes the losing team goes on to the offseason. Matt is injured but tells Pete that he is recovered enough to play. Pete's response, we're going with Charlie Whitehurst.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
jlwaters1":o8g22w7c said:
JSeahawks":o8g22w7c said:
Voting was done before the game ever started.

Btw, if you think Russell Wilson wouldnt be trying to play if he was in the same situation you're crazy.

No it hasn't you can still vote for Rookie of the year up through JAN 29th.

http://www.nfl.com/voting/rookies/2012/YEAR/0

Pepsi Max Rookie of the Year

Fans can vote for one of these five players on http://www.nfl.com/rookies through 9:00 PM EST on Tuesday, January 29 to determine the 2012 Pepsi MAX Rookie of the Year.

The 2012 Pepsi MAX Rookie of the Year award will be announced in New Orleans, the site of Super Bowl XLVII, at NFL Honors, a two-hour primetime awards special to air nationally on February 2, 9-11 p.m. EST on CBS.
The Pepsi Max Rookie of the Year is not the universally accepted Rookie of the Year.

The "official" ROY awards are established by the Associated Press, who has ~50 sports writers around the US that each get a vote... one for DROY and one for OROY, as well as for league MVP.

The Pepsi one is for the public to vote... not the same prestige as the AP award.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This is not on Griffin, it's on Shanahan.

Unless your names Jay Cutler, you're never going to want to come out of a playoff game. It's up to the head coach to assess the situation to see if his QB is helping or hurting his team's chances of winning. It was clear that after the 1st quarter RG3 was hurting his team. Shanahan should have pulled him at halftime and went with Cousins.

God help Shanahan if RG3 has to miss any of next year due to surgery. He's going to be BBQ'd by the critics.

hawker84

Reaction score
amill87":1mlxizvo said:
I gotta say, when i heard RG3's presser today, I was pretty disappointed. His whole line of I'm the starting Qb and I'm the best option just bugged me. He clearly wasn't the same player and couldnt even throw accurately. He wanted to be the hero instead of doing whats best for the team.

Flip it around and we got our rookie qb giving up a personal record for the team. Does anyone think RG3 would've pulled the ball down and ran for the TD if he was in Wilson's situation?

i agree with this.. not only did he hurt his team by staying in, if Bob had won the game, Cousins would have more than likely had to start in the next game, so Griffin was taking away valuable playing time and playoff experience from him as well.

roiyair

Reaction score
Seriously, your giving him crap for playing through an injury like that?
Yes he should have been taken out but come on, in a league where player hide concussions with long term effects on a monthly basis you expect a team leader to hold a risk evaluation about his knee in the middle of a tight playoff game?
Anybody remembers all the shit Jay Cutler has eaten for "quitting on his team" in the playoffs last season? (or maybe the season before, I'm not 100% sure). Every idiot with a keyboard and twitter account including NFL players, reporters and fans calling him "soft" at best. I bet some of the people that suddenly accuse RG3 of unprofessionalism were the same people who accused Cutler of being soft.

Bottom line - this decision should come down to the medical authority on the field, and you need to have a guy with big enough balls to tell superstars to sit down and shut up.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Pete would pull Russell since we have probably one of the best backups in the league.

I'd feel totally fine with Flynn coming in. It's different for us; Wilson runs our offense, with a zone read addition. RG3 runs a complete zone read offense. Flynn coming in wouldn't be a big different to the offense, but Cousins has to have a different game plan.

Latest posts