Bottom line

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think it is the same pattern. The run game hasn't been the only issue, teams have been sustaining long drives with relative ease for years now, the run defense was just so bad last year that it overshadowed everything else.

I guess I'm distilling things down further than you. You're generalizing.

Which is fine, but if we're discussing the issues the defense had against the Rams from the issues of last year? Different.

GemCity

Reaction score
I loved our draft. I loved what PC did with the team last year. I think Spoon is going to be a baller. Charbonnet didn’t impress but, he’s got potential.

But…..you’ve got to build from the inside out. The rushing yards the Rams had against us is a bit misleading. That doesn’t mean we’re dominant up front.

We’re not going far without some solid, QB pressuring linemen.

Hindsight is 20/20. But, we’re hurting up front. We’re going to see pedestrian QBs light us up. It doesn’t matter how well our secondary covers if a QB has all the time in the world.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The sample size is increasing, and regrettably it is becoming clear Clint Hurt seems lost in terms of fielding a defence that can actually play defence. It is apparent he is unable to adjust the D to deal with an opponent who is exploiting a weakness in the scheme, or at least it sure appeared that way against the Rams. Pete needs to oversee Hurrt more closely as it is becoming apparent Hurrt is out of his depth.

The Rams ran versions of the same play over and over with no seeming ability of the team to stop them. It was painful to watch when we all had expectations that the D would be improved. No pass rush, no pressures, poor tackling, weak coverages, supposed strength with the DBs seemed to be absent and Woolen seemed to be step slow in coverage. Do not understand the lack of a pass rush but perhaps it was just that game the soft middle was pretty hard to watch over and again.

cymatica

Reaction score
I guess I'm distilling things down further than you. You're generalizing.

Which is fine, but if we're discussing the issues the defense had against the Rams from the issues of last year? Different.
No they aren't. They had issues last year against the pass as well, the Lions game being one example. Even the Broncos were marching up the field, 2 fumbles on the goal line made everyone forget. They had issues on 3rd downs, just like the Rams game.

The run defense was not the only issue. Not sure how you can claim I'm generalizing when that's exactly what you're doing

hoxrox

Reaction score
The first and second down defense actually wasn't that bad. But it's like McVay knew exactly what they were going to do on 3rd down.

That issue isn't limited to just one game but spans multiple seasons under multiple coordinators now.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Guys being seemingly wide open, especially on 3rd down, has been an issue for several years. It's just flat out maddening.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Bottom line is we need to come out and knock some asses on the damn turf and get back to playing hard hitting, hard tackling Hawk football. Tre Brown you got abused last week. I like the hustle but if you can’t wrap up and tackle I want his ass off the field. Hoping Spoon and Prez can come in and light a fire 🔥

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
No they aren't. They had issues last year against the pass as well, the Lions game being one example. Even the Broncos were marching up the field, 2 fumbles on the goal line made everyone forget. They had issues on 3rd downs, just like the Rams game.

The run defense was not the only issue. Not sure how you can claim I'm generalizing when that's exactly what you're doing

The Hawks were 13th last year against the pass. 30th against the run.

But thanks for your one game anecdotal recollection to suit your incorrect argument.

cymatica

Reaction score
The Hawks were 13th last year against the pass. 30th against the run.

But thanks for your one game anecdotal recollection to suit your incorrect argument.
Posting stats in a vacuum means nothing. Teams started going run heavy after the Germany game. You obviously have a foggy memory, go back and rewatch the games then tell me they didn't have issues defending the middle, short passes, and 3rd down passes

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Posting stats in a vacuum means nothing. Teams started going run heavy after the Germany game. You obviously have a foggy memory, go back and rewatch the games then tell me they didn't have issues defending the middle, short passes, and 3rd down passes

I don't even know what we're arguing about anymore.

All I said was not defending the pass against the Rams, and playing the run well is the exact opposite of what the defensive issues were last year.

You're the one trying to say it's all the same. It's not, as the stats show from last year I linked up, unless you're just generalizing "bad defense." I'm not. Not after one game especially.

cymatica

Reaction score
I don't even know what we're arguing about anymore.

All I said was not defending the pass against the Rams, and playing the run well is the exact opposite of what the defensive issues were last year.

You're the one trying to say it's all the same. It's not, as the stats show from last year I linked up, unless you're just generalizing "bad defense." I'm not. Not after one game especially.
You obviously don't know what I'm arguing because I never generalized it as bad defense, I gave specific examples that you never once addressed. The issues they had in the Rams game against the pass are the same they've had for several years, including last year. They didn't give up 400 yds passing a game because halfway through the season teams realized all they had to do was run the ball and Seattle couldn't stop it.

And no it wasn't 1 game, that was 1 example I gave, you can easily look up the stats for individual games, and there were only a few they played good defense. The rest they either got destroyed on the ground or through the air, and the games they gave up high passing yards were the same ol story .

Scout

Reaction score
Mafe, Wagz and Brooks/Bush out there showed the run defense is a lot better than last year and I think there is room for improvement too when the rest of the DL start to stack and shed. Throw in Witherspoon and Adams and they will be a lot tighter with gap control.

The issue with the pass defense is a result of the Hawks playing zone with large cushions beyond the sticks. Nothing wrong with playing off or quarters coverage with a cushion. But it requires CBs with experience that can make a quick break on the ball with such a large cushion.

But as athletic as the Hawks DBs are the reality is that the Rams have quicker smaller or normal sized WRs that can win in the middle of the field.

What I am saying is that quarters or cover 3 coverage is the wrong approach to defeat the Rams running trips formations that attack the middle of the field.

Hurtt has to adjust or else other NFL teams will just copy and paste what the Rams did. And the Lions are far more talented on offense than the Rams.

Seahawker

Reaction score
The LOB was a tight group with a big dog mentality and having KJ Wright really bolstered our pass defense.
Our current young group will need time to grow & learn and the coaches will have to start trusting them not to give up big plays. That big dog mentality can't be taught though, I think that's why they drafted Witherspoon.