Boy Andrew Luck sure is overrated

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck, before you try too hard to serve crow, Luck's numbers are skewed dramatically by two huge games which came against dumpster fire teams that are currently a combined 1-9. In his other games, he's basically been the same guy he's always been. A QB with high passing volume and sub-par efficiency.

Luck is over-rated. Most people think he's better than Wilson and/or the best QB of his generation. To anyone with an ounce of common sense he's clearly not, but at the same time, he's very talented and might be the only QB in the NFL who can fit seamlessly into ANY offense. Andrew Luck is good. Andrew Luck is over-rated. It's possible to be both good and over-rated at the same time. Most things that are over-rated tend to be good things.

If anyone is saying they don't think Andrew Luck is good, they are being silly. His ability to keep his team in games alone is enough for him to be a good player. I think people are reacting to Luck being over-rated, but it's not like anyone is comparing Andrew Luck to Tim Tebow or John Skelton.

OrFan

Reaction score
Geico is good, no doubt. Is he worth drooling over, or trading Wilson straight up for? Hell no.

He will always make me laugh every time I see a picture of him though.

lobohawk

Reaction score
What Kearly said.

It's about hype and the pushback from opposing fans. There's little doubt that the media hypes Luck beyond his current performance. Which is too bad, because it makes it harder for non-Colt fans to appreciate his play. I've seen many rankings that have him as the fifth best QB behind the big four and he has yet to perform at River's level.....much less his current hot streak. We can talk elite when he has 6 straight seasons at 100+ rating.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3f881444 said:
Leads the league in yards and TD throws. Only 4 interceptions this year. All this with a sieve of a defense and no running game.

Such a bum. :sarcasm_on:

(And no this isn't meant to hate on Russell Wilson, just the people that constantly try to tear Andrew Luck down for.. god knows whatever reason)

Just so you are aware Luck has 6 interceptions for the season and he could of been picked off 5 times today. That is tied for the highest interceptions in the league. He only had 9 interceptions all last year and will def pass that this year

He has 6TD/5 INTS against the Broncos, Eagles and Chiefs. His QB rating in those 3 games are 83.1, 89.3, and 72.8....This is the same ol dAndrew Luck people.

8TD/1int against the lowly Jaguars and Titans who have 1 win combined between the both of them and who are #1 and #5 in points allowed.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
kearly":3u0bo8kx said:
Hasselbeck, before you try too hard to serve crow, Luck's numbers are skewed dramatically by two huge games which came against dumpster fire teams that are currently a combined 1-9. In his other games, he's basically been the same guy he's always been. A QB with high passing volume and sub-par efficiency.

Luck is over-rated. Most people think he's better than Wilson and/or the best QB of his generation. To anyone with an ounce of common sense he's clearly not, but at the same time, he's very talented and might be the only QB in the NFL who can fit seamlessly into ANY offense. Andrew Luck is good. Andrew Luck is over-rated. It's possible to be both good and over-rated at the same time. Most things that are over-rated tend to be good things.

If anyone is saying they don't think Andrew Luck is good, they are being silly. His ability to keep his team in games alone is enough for him to be a good player. I think people are reacting to Luck being over-rated, but it's not like anyone is comparing Andrew Luck to Tim Tebow or John Skelton.

I wish I would of read Kearlys post before I wrote mine...basically exactly what I was trying to say.

Heres something to think about....The colts were AHEAD, the ENTIRE game and Luck is out there throwing 49 throws...WTF is that...how is that even possible? Usually QBs only throw that many times because the team gets behind early.

Against the Jags Indy was up 30-3 going into the 4th quarter...and golly....Luck throws deep twice and throws for the TD...why the F are they throwing deep up 27? Stat padding at its finest

Titans, At the very end of the 3rd and into the 4th on the Colts 2 drives, up 27-10 Colts passed it deep 3 times and Luck passed it 9 times and they ran it 6 times.

He is also now down to a 100 QB rating for the year and would be in the 80s if it wasnt for the Jags and Titans...those have to be two of the worst teams in the ENTIRE league.

Too bad Wilson cant play those teams 4 times a year. Luck had 2TD and 4 ints against the Cards, 49ers and Rams last year

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
If Baltimore's entire defense could catch footballs hitting both of their palms consistently, Luck would have had four, maybe five ints today.

But yes, Luck is amazing. HE SO DREAMY!

Seriously OP, I'm sorry you have to live in Indianapolis, but try to understand that the media bias there in favor of Luck has brainwashed you. Just take our word for it. Luck is a good QB, zero doubt about that. He is absolutely not a GREAT one as of right now, and has not yet been in the NFL. He may be at some point...But virtually everyone agreed that Kaepernick and Matt Ryan were supposed to be great, too.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":pul0key2 said:
kearly":pul0key2 said:

I wish I would of read Kearlys post before I wrote mine...basically exactly what I was trying to say.

Heres something to think about....The colts were AHEAD, the ENTIRE game and Luck is out there throwing 49 throws...WTF is that...how is that even possible? Usually QBs only throw that many times because the team gets behind early.

Against the Jags Indy was up 30-3 going into the 4th quarter...and golly....Luck throws deep twice and throws for the TD...why the F are they throwing deep up 27? Stat padding at its finest

Titans, At the very end of the 3rd and into the 4th on the Colts 2 drives, up 27-10 Colts passed it deep 3 times and Luck passed it 9 times and they ran it 6 times.

He is also now down to a 100 QB rating for the year and would be in the 80s if it wasnt for the Jags and Titans...those have to be two of the worst teams in the ENTIRE league.

Too bad Wilson cant play those teams 4 times a year. Luck had 2TD and 4 ints against the Cards, 49ers and Rams last year

Saved me the trouble of writing the exact same thing. Nothing like feeding on bottom dwellers to pad your stats. He's a good QB, but the man gets 5 bye weeks a year.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Luckily (heheuhueueuhehhehehehe) for us, Football Outsiders keeps track of how difficult the overall schedule for each NFL team really turned out to be. Not a record of the forward projections at the start of a season or during the off-season, but the REAL strength they ended up facing that year. It's basically irrefutable because everyone knows how the season ended for every team, etc.

2012 SoS:
Seattle: 4th
Indy: 32nd

2013 SoS:
Seattle: 16th
Indy: 23rd

The only reason Indy's SoS was that "high" in 2013 was because they played a few powerhouse teams, which to be fair they somehow managed to beat; the 49ers, Broncos, and Seahawks. I think Luck sold his soul for that little stretch of wins, but I digress. :lol:

In all seriousness, Andrew Luck has not come within 50 DAMN MILES of facing as many tough teams as Russell Wilson as of yet. At this rate, Luck will not have played as many tough opponents as Wilson has already until like, 2017. At which point the number of tough opponents Wilson has faced may literally even trump what Luck will face his entire career, if the AFC South stays garbage and the Colts continue to not go deep into the playoffs thereby earning more tough opponents the following year, and the NFC West remains a powerhouse division.

SoS in 2014 thus far (of limited value, it's not a forward projection but based on what has happened in 2014 to date, and obviously since the season's still fairly young and not over, it's not reliable like the entire year rankings are above:
Seattle: 1st
Indy: 26th

Yes, these rankings are of the "most difficult" type, meaning Russell Wilson's easiest schedule in the NFL to date is still more difficult than Luck's most difficult.

BUT YEAH, LUCK IS ALREADY A HALL-OF-FAMER, GUYS.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1qcl86o5 said:
If Baltimore's entire defense could catch footballs hitting both of their palms consistently, Luck would have had four, maybe five ints today.

But yes, Luck is amazing. HE SO DREAMY!

Seriously OP, I'm sorry you have to live in Indianapolis, but try to understand that the media bias there in favor of Luck has brainwashed you. Just take our word for it. Luck is a good QB, zero doubt about that. He is absolutely not a GREAT one as of right now, and has not yet been in the NFL. He may be at some point...But virtually everyone agreed that Kaepernick and Matt Ryan were supposed to be great, too.

Hes better than kaepernick ill give him that. Usually he doesnt choke at the END of the game...he throws picks well before then haha.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1qxcw6u0 said:
Luckily (heheuhueueuhehhehehehe) for us, Football Outsiders keeps track of how difficult the overall schedule for each NFL team really turned out to be. Not a record of the forward projections at the start of a season or during the off-season, but the REAL strength they ended up facing that year. It's basically irrefutable because everyone knows how the season ended for every team, etc.

2012 SoS:
Seattle: 4th
Indy: 32nd

2013 SoS:
Seattle: 16th
Indy: 23rd

The only reason Indy's SoS was that "high" in 2013 was because they played a few powerhouse teams, which to be fair they somehow managed to beat; the 49ers, Broncos, and Seahawks. I think Luck sold his soul for that little stretch of wins, but I digress. :lol:

In all seriousness, Andrew Luck has not come within 50 DAMN MILES of facing as many tough teams as Russell Wilson as of yet. At this rate, Luck will not have played as many tough opponents as Wilson has already until like, 2017. At which point the number of tough opponents Wilson has faced may literally even trump what Luck will face his entire career, if the AFC South stays garbage and the Colts continue to not go deep into the playoffs thereby earning more tough opponents the following year, and the NFC West remains a powerhouse division.

SoS in 2014 thus far (of limited value, it's not a forward projection but based on what has happened in 2014 to date, and obviously since the season's still fairly young and not over, it's not reliable like the entire year rankings are above:
Seattle: 1st
Indy: 26th

Yes, these rankings are of the "most difficult" type, meaning Russell Wilson's easiest schedule in the NFL to date is still more difficult than Luck's most difficult.

BUT YEAH, LUCK IS ALREADY A HALL-OF-FAMER, GUYS.

Ya I dont remember what post I commented but the Packers, Broncos and Chargers are 9-2 if you take them playing us out of it. That is a pretty rediculous record for the teams we have played against so far.

Also 3 of the top 5 QBS IMO in Rodgers, Rivers and Manning.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":854uyc94 said:
Leads the league in yards and TD throws. Only 4 interceptions this year. All this with a sieve of a defense and no running game.

Such a bum. :sarcasm_on:

(And no this isn't meant to hate on Russell Wilson, just the people that constantly try to tear Andrew Luck down for.. god knows whatever reason)
Hilarious, Seive of a D? The funniest part is you actually wrote this AFTER the Colts surrendered a measly 13 points. And Luck stunned the world with 300 plus on 49 freaking attempts. 6 YPA, holy crap, I better remember to tell my diary how lucky I was to be alive to see that!

(No, this wasn't meant to hate on Andrew Luck, just that people and press that constantly try to prop Andrew Luck up for...god knows whatever reason)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1rblkih0 said:

The reason is Luck's been shoved down our throats as the pre-ordained golden child of the NFL since he was a sophomore in college, so you're starting to see the backlash.

Is he good? Yes. Is he great? No, great means he's actually won something.

TXHawk

Reaction score
bmorepunk":x0skvulf said:
Natethegreat":x0skvulf said:
To be fair i don't think the argument has ever been wether or not Luck is the real deal. Its wether he is as good right now as the media likes to portray him as. It is also about the perception of Luck vs Russell in the media. One is portrayed as an elite QB the other as a game manager.
So this thread really sets up a false narrative right from the start.

No, it doesn't. The OP is not claiming that nobody will say Luck is good/decent/great/whatever. He said that some people are constantly trying to crap on Luck on this forum. Which is absolutely true.

The primary argument on this forum has been that Russell Wilson has been better than Luck up to this point in their careers. And he has. To make the argument that Wilson is better is not "crapping" on Luck. There's no shame in being the second best young quarterback in the game. There's also no shame in not being an elite quarterback in your third season in the league no matter how hard ESPN and the rest of the media tries to sell that.

Luck has gotten fat statistically this season against two terrible teams. In the three games against competitive teams he's looked about the same as the previous two seasons...like a quarterback with a ton of talent who can look great in stretches but is prone to inconsistency, bad decision making, and inaccuracy at other times.

HawkWow

Reaction score
chris98251":1yk7y6xw said:
getnasty":1yk7y6xw said:
Luck is the real deal anyone who doesn't see that is out of their mind.

Archie Manning 2.0 maybe.
or maybe
Dan Pastorini.

With respect to your point, Chris, imo, Pastorini was much more Ryan Leaf, on and off the field. Definitely lacked the intelligence Luck is noted for. I was attending U-Houston and met the clown a few times. My (then) GF (later wife) was a cheerleader with the Oilers. Pastorini hit on her non-stop while dating her older sister. I didn't know this until year's later. He was like a caricature for the egomaniacal, perm-haired, laughs at beer commercials, stereotyped athlete.

Unsure if one could ever find it, but look for his melt down on a particularly scrawny, spectacled Houston sports writer...probably circa 1980. It was caught on vid and makes Ryan Leaf look like Eli Manning. Comedy at it's best and though un-becoming of a professional athlete, sometimes it's fun to see these never was, mouthy writers take a body slam now and again. ; ) But after being front and center all over the news, I think it may have been Pastorini's last act with the "love ya' Blue" crew.

On topic: It seems this Luck hate is going to be a permanent deal. I guess that's not all bad. It generates interest, provokes conversation. I'm just happy that of the 2 best young QBs in this league, we have one of them.

cesame

Reaction score
Apparently you guys didn't watch his games vs Jax and Ten when he was still throwing the ball when the Colts were up 3 TD's in both games. He had a 1yd TD throw vs Jax when they were already up 30-3.

There was a lot of stat padding against two terrible teams in those games

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
cesame":tp567jg2 said:
Apparently you guys didn't watch his games vs Jax and Ten when he was still throwing the ball when the Colts were up 3 TD's in both games. He had a 1yd TD throw vs Jax when they were already up 30-3.

There was a lot of stat padding against two terrible teams in those games
Ding ding ding ding ding, we've got a winner!

kearly

Reaction score
The Colts defense has not been good, but the idea of defense being a good support for a QB is not really based on logic or reality.

Think about it, if you are a QB, would you rather be passing down by 21 in the fourth quarter or down by 3? If it's a tighter game, that means you'll be facing a tighter defense. If it's garbage time, opponents will play prevent and zone defenses to basically trade points for clock.

And as far as Indy's run game goes, I think Bradshaw is a really nice player, I'd probably put him in the top 15 of NFL RBs. He's not someone you'd want to have rush 300 times a season, but in the Reggie Bush role he's helped their offense out a ton.

Most of Luck's passing TD's this season have been to his RB Bradshaw and his blocking TE, Allen. Luck is loving the check down this year, and because his checkdown options are playing well, it's given Luck an inflated TD rate. We'll see if it holds up. I'm guessing Dwayne Allen won't be finishing the year with 15 touchdowns.