Boykin

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The thing for me is we are not the Pats..Our backup starting is not anything good

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
brimsalabim":34n9spur said:
FlyingGreg":34n9spur said:
Seahwkgal":34n9spur said:
theENGLISHseahawk":34n9spur said:
That pick was horrendous.

Showed some flashes of potential but always feel like you're one play away from a massive, massive error.
^^^ THIS!!!
Boykin will never get us to the playoffs and our F.O's stinginess with the cap(like overpaying for toys-Graham) is getting our best player killed out there. Ankle and now a knee. We CANNOT make the playoffs without Russ.

Stop.

That "toy" had 100 yds and a TD today. He was dominant. A lot if fans thought he wouldn't even play this season.

You already stated you didn't watch the game in another thread.

As pointed out, Russ getting hurt had nothing to do with the OL.

You are on a roll tonight. Not a good one.

You need to see the game before spewing inaccuracies.
Just because YOU stated something that doesn't make it accurate. Russell's injury absolutely had to do with the Oline completely failing their jobs on that play. You can say that in your opinion Russell should have thrown the ball away and I'd agree but to say it had nothing to do with poor Oline play is simply ridiculous. The Oline failed whether Russell got hurt or not.

True. Just like you trying feebly to refute it doesn't mean it wasn't accurate, either. What a neat little argument tactic we have here! :les:

Problem is...in this case, you are wrong. As is the poster I responded to, who admitted to not even watching the game. So, they had no idea how he got hurt. Didn't watch the game + seeing Russell got hurt = let's assume and dog pile on the line, the line that actually played well.

Fact...on the play Russell got hurt, he could have easily thrown the ball away. Easily. He was already gimpy, he needs to have the awareness. Not sure why some people are blaming the O line for a play where he left the pocket and had nothing but sideline in front of him. No line in the NFL can block for 9 seconds.

The reality is, it was a "bad luck" play where a defender happened to roll up on his leg. It happens. But it could have been avoided. Of course, hindsight is 20/20.

But I get it...the line is the easy candidate for tar and feathering.

By the way, there were other plays Russ held onto the ball for too long, including a sack. It doesn't mean he wasn't great today, it's a valid criticism.

I am tired of the line being blamed for everything from here to global warming.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1b6dwqzk said:
Siouxhawk":1b6dwqzk said:
I'm not trashing Boykin, but knock this stuff about him being better than Tarvaris. Granted he's younger and his wheels are better, but T-Jack seldom turned the ball over.
Folks have different opinions that is what makes this place so great. We can agree to disagree and still keep it civil without telling others how to post. You are a huge T-Jack fan, others may not be for various reasons. No harm, no foul.
And again, I'm not ripping Trevone Hernia. I actually thought he had good control out there. I just don't like those posts where people feel compelled to diminish Tarvaris' abilities to prop Boykin up. He was a good influence in a Seahawk uniform.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3ofb4qvk said:
I'm not trashing Boykin, but knock this stuff about him being better than Tarvaris. Granted he's younger and his wheels are better, but T-Jack seldom turned the ball over.

13 interceptions and 5 fumbles in 2011, his only season as the hawks' starter.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":czz3dref said:
Siouxhawk":czz3dref said:

Sure, but he went 7-7, threw 14 TDs and ran for another. As a starter, those numbers aren't great. But they're not bad in comparison to other backups around the league.

mikeak

Reaction score
Two passes to Kearse were bad. High and behind and it was all on the WR turning it to a gain and not a loss

He did fine considering he is an UDFA. He does not give me confidence if RW is out

OP
OP
Year of The Hawk

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2bk4w88d said:
Basis4day":2bk4w88d said:
Siouxhawk":2bk4w88d said:

Sure, but he went 7-7, threw 14 TDs and ran for another. As a starter, those numbers aren't great. But they're not bad in comparison to other backups around the league.

Plus was he not playing with a torn peck most of season?

Either way non of it matters. Boykin is our backup. He is young and raw. Most people give someone at least a season before declaring them not worthy. Maybe he will brow maybe he wont. Lets hope we don't have to find out.

Yes the front office decided to save money on a backup. IMHO it doesn't matter who the backup is we are not going all the way without RW. So having someone marginally better than the average backup will be of little help.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":25f6fd03 said:
Basis4day":25f6fd03 said:
Siouxhawk":25f6fd03 said:

So he rarely turned the ball over compared to backups is what you're meaning to convey?

I can agree with that.

Mick063

Reaction score
His first freakin action. Ever. No starter reps the week of practice before.
Any criticisms are self important ego stroking.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":33uztoyt said:
Siouxhawk":33uztoyt said:
Basis4day":33uztoyt said:
Siouxhawk":33uztoyt said:

So he rarely turned the ball over compared to backups is what you're meaning to convey?

I can agree with that.
Yes sir. And just more aware of what it takes to be an NFL quarterback. Like I said, Boykin actually has some good tools and loads of potential. I just think T-Jack would be more prepared and poised if we had to call upon him for a game or two.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":1wdo9dz2 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1wdo9dz2 said:

Showed some flashes of potential but always feel like you're one play away from a massive, massive error.
^^^ THIS!!!
Boykin will never get us to the playoffs and our F.O's stinginess with the cap(like overpaying for toys-Graham) is getting our best player killed out there. Ankle and now a knee. We CANNOT make the playoffs without Russ.

1. We didn't "pay" for Graham.

2. Thanks for the eye-opening analysis regarding playoffs and back up QBs. Other than the Patriots, go ahead and make a list of teams that would compete for a Super Bowl berth with their back up all year.

Thanks

HawkGA

Reaction score
Mick063":3urd7y23 said:
His first freakin action. Ever. No starter reps the week of practice before.
Any criticisms are self important ego stroking.

This.

Zybot

Reaction score
He seems to be a one read QB right now. Maybe with more reps he would be better. He has some skills, but I hope he doesn't have to play very many meaningful snaps. Depends on the MRI results for me as to whether he starts week 4.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
For a rookie QB in his first real NFL action I thought he did passably well, save for that INT which pretty much was thrown directly to the DB. I'm wondering what Boykin saw that made him think that pass was going to have any remote chance of being safe? I think he's got real potential to be an acceptably capable backup. The O wasn't dumbed down too much for him and save for that awful pass to the opposition he did well enough.

I'm going to need to watch the game again to watch what the receivers were doing around the play b/c clearly Boykin simply missed or missed seeing the DB.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Boykin looked great. I was very impressed. Yeah the INT was pretty awful but that stuff improves with time and practice. I like what I've seen from him and think he could surprise people if he started a few games. I think some team will give him a shot when his first contact expires and he's gonna get paid. So don't get too attached.

Totally awestruck by the TJack stuff. Uhhhh... His turnovers cost us a playoff appearance in his only season as the starter. That and doing things like throwing the ball away or running out of bounds on forth down. I won't soon forget the frustration of that 49ers Christmas game, watching our playoff hopes vanish.

From what I've seen so far, Boykin looks far better. Better arm, quicker, can escape pressure, etc. Would actually enjoy watching Boykin start a few games and think he'd do a lot better than some here might think. It'd be fun.

Geologic

Reaction score
:greetingsearthling:
Crizilla":i024uyam said:
The INT was really bad......
Tried to like him but damn that INT was bad. Pete teaches ball protection so that was not a good look.

Prefer Boykin if Russ is out all season but prefer TJax if Russ is out a couple of games.

Boykin has more upside but TJax has a higher floor.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
HawkGA":1xpvq5yd said:
PlinytheCenter":1xpvq5yd said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1xpvq5yd said:

Gotta agree with this; still WAY too raw but the kid has skills. Still, an improvement over T-Jack. Fortunately, the bone-headed INT didn't cost us more than a garbage-time TD. Hopefully he'll learn and move on from that.

Didn't Peyton Manning set a record for interceptions or something like that his rookie season?

Trevon Boykin is no Peyton Manning :141847_bnono:

I can find you about 100 QB's with better numbers than Peyton since his rookie year who didn't amount to anything though.