Boykin

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Mick063":d35qimpm said:
His first freakin action. Ever. No starter reps the week of practice before.
Any criticisms are self important ego stroking.

Dude is one snap a way from being our starting QB you're darn right I expect him to look competent.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":38mf3vqn said:
Seahwkgal":38mf3vqn said:
theENGLISHseahawk":38mf3vqn said:
That pick was horrendous.

Showed some flashes of potential but always feel like you're one play away from a massive, massive error.
^^^ THIS!!!
Boykin will never get us to the playoffs and our F.O's stinginess with the cap(like overpaying for toys-Graham) is getting our best player killed out there. Ankle and now a knee. We CANNOT make the playoffs without Russ.

Stop.

That "toy" had 100 yds and a TD today. He was dominant. A lot if fans thought he wouldn't even play this season.

You already stated you didn't watch the game in another thread.

As pointed out, Russ getting hurt had nothing to do with the OL.

You are on a roll tonight. Not a good one.

You need to see the game before spewing inaccuracies.

You must accept certain posts for what they are...uninformed. I agree that Russ put himself in danger on that play...not the OL

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":2ue428he said:
Mick063":2ue428he said:
His first freakin action. Ever. No starter reps the week of practice before.
Any criticisms are self important ego stroking.

Dude is one snap a way from being our starting QB you're darn right I expect him to look competent.

Blah, bladdy blah. Pretty decent showing for a rookie; I won't let the INT cancel out otherwise decent play. The kid DOES have to learn to throw it away when nothing's there. No sense in pressing when we have a large lead late in a game. That should come with time though. If he doesn't improve in that area, I would interpret that as having me-first attitude by being desperate to 'show' something. Hopefully that's not what's happening right now.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
If RW can play, he will...period. I thought the O line played pretty good today.

I also considering Boykin came off the bench with no warning the kid did pretty good today. Better he should make mistakes and learn (hopefully) from them when we we have the game in hand, then when it's on the line.

And as far as TJ is concerned the man was killer on calling the coin toss, but that was about it. I'm not afraid of Boykin starting.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
jammerhawk":mf69m0ss said:
For a rookie QB in his first real NFL action I thought he did passably well, save for that INT which pretty much was thrown directly to the DB. I'm wondering what Boykin saw that made him think that pass was going to have any remote chance of being safe? I think he's got real potential to be an acceptably capable backup. The O wasn't dumbed down too much for him and save for that awful pass to the opposition he did well enough.

I'm going to need to watch the game again to watch what the receivers were doing around the play b/c clearly Boykin simply missed or missed seeing the DB.
My guess is the ball slipped in hand when he threw it, perhaps that ball was slicker than what he prefers to throw with. It happens.

We were lucky that one didn't cost us the game but: Plenty of QB's threw INTs this week and even RW the Great has thrown them in the past.

There's no reason for panic over that play and given much of his passing performance in the preseason I think he has a pretty decent upside to look forward to given time.

Hawknight

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":2u6xlccb said:
So how does everyone feel about him? Does anyone think we should rest Russell last game before bye week to heal up properly? Just checking everyones temp on situation.

He has great potential...aside from the one pick...he has the skills and field vision to move this team. Just needs more experience.

McGruff

Reaction score
I thought Boykin played with good poise and threw the ball really well. There criticisms that are IMO all rookie mistakes.

1. On the INT he didn't see the underneath coverage. That was where the INT came from.

2. He love him some Doug Baldwin. He needs to diversify his target.

3. He is locked on to his first read.

Again, all those are solvable with time and experience. His poise and arm and accuracy were good though, and that is some good tools to work with.

Largent80

Reaction score
McGruff":d9flh34n said:
I thought Boykin played with good poise and threw the ball really well. There criticisms that are IMO all rookie mistakes.

1. On the INT he didn't see the underneath coverage. That was where the INT came from.

2. He love him some Doug Baldwin. He needs to diversify his target.

3. He is locked on to his first read.

Again, all those are solvable with time and experience. His poise and arm and accuracy were good though, and that is some good tools to work with.

Pretty much all you said. #3 was a biggie, but he was able to get some passes right where he wanted them. Got to look the defense off.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I am still very uneasy at using him for a prolonged period of time, given what a raw product he still is. That interception was beyond bad. I don't know what happened on it, but he threw it right to the linebacker.

I think Boykin could be a backup QB to steal a game or two, a la Seneca Wallace, but if you're trotting him out there for a month or two.. good luck. Have to remember he came into the game when we were already in scoring range and up 30-3. Much different circumstance if he's the starter in a 0-0 game.

I'd still feel a lot better with a veteran on the roster, whether or not thats T-Jack I'm not sure.

Hawks46

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":142hxo9m said:
That pick was horrendous.

Showed some flashes of potential but always feel like you're one play away from a massive, massive error.

This. He shows similar poise to Dak Prescott, but Prescott leaves you feeling much more secure in limiting mistakes. I also think Prescott is a lot more accurate, but Boykin has some back yard football in him.

If the Seahawks are going to keep him long term, we need to get him some more reps when we're blowing teams out. He needs game reps to settle down, then I'll feel a lot better about him. Good potential though.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Boykin looked pretty much like we expected. Bipolar. He looked very good and very bad at different points in the game.

On the INT, he simply held the ball too long, and stayed locked onto his primary target even though there wasn't a play there. The only way that play has a chance of working is if he throws it before, or right when McEvoy makes his break, or if McEvoy does anything except to just stand there after his break. Maybe, Boykin could have thrown it over the top, but even that would have been contested by Robinson.

As it happened, McEvoy made his break, then just stood there. Boykin, after making the worst play-action fake in history, stared at McEvoy through his entire route. It was so bad that Bellore made a move on the ball before McEvoy finishes his break and before Boykin has even started his forward throwing motion. Once McEvoy stops, Boykin threw the ball, ignoring Bellore who was in the path of the throw. All Bellore had to do was take one step in front of McEvoy for the easy INT.

Regarding the O-line, just stop. If anyone blew protection, it was Graham who completely whiffed on Armistead which ruined an otherwise perfect pocket that Russ could have stepped into. The protection was more than adequate however. The Niners showed blitz with 7 players, ultimately only bringing 5 with Harold remaining back as a spy, and Bowman pulling out to cover Michael on the checkdown route.

Wilson flushed early, but had a good 3 seconds had he stayed in the pocket. He had over four seconds to set and throw, and five seconds to throw it away instead of trying the stiffarm. Being up 21, he had no excuse for trying to make a play. When the Niners brought the 7, he should have thrown it away if he didn't have a hot route likely to be open. Instead, he unnecessarily tries to Houdini it.

Love the competitive fire, just wish he was a little more aware of the situation there and didn't try to be a hero

mistaowen

Reaction score
For an undrafted rookie I think he looked fine. That pick was awwwwful but for his first ever live reps against an NFL team? Plenty to build from.

bandiger

Reaction score
bigskydoc":vxnxfik1 said:
Boykin looked pretty much like we expected. Bipolar. He looked very good and very bad at different points in the game.

On the INT, he simply held the ball too long, and stayed locked onto his primary target even though there wasn't a play there. The only way that play has a chance of working is if he throws it before, or right when McEvoy makes his break, or if McEvoy does anything except to just stand there after his break. Maybe, Boykin could have thrown it over the top, but even that would have been contested by Robinson.

As it happened, McEvoy made his break, then just stood there. Boykin, after making the worst play-action fake in history, stared at McEvoy through his entire route. It was so bad that Bellore made a move on the ball before McEvoy finishes his break and before Boykin has even started his forward throwing motion. Once McEvoy stops, Boykin threw the ball, ignoring Bellore who was in the path of the throw. All Bellore had to do was take one step in front of McEvoy for the easy INT.

Regarding the O-line, just stop. If anyone blew protection, it was Graham who completely whiffed on Armistead which ruined an otherwise perfect pocket that Russ could have stepped into. The protection was more than adequate however. The Niners showed blitz with 7 players, ultimately only bringing 5 with Harold remaining back as a spy, and Bowman pulling out to cover Michael on the checkdown route.

Wilson flushed early, but had a good 3 seconds had he stayed in the pocket. He had over four seconds to set and throw, and five seconds to throw it away instead of trying the stiffarm. Being up 21, he had no excuse for trying to make a play. When the Niners brought the 7, he should have thrown it away if he didn't have a hot route likely to be open. Instead, he unnecessarily tries to Houdini it.

Love the competitive fire, just wish he was a little more aware of the situation there and didn't try to be a hero

True, stick to 3 seconds or less rule.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Crizilla":1681d2bo said:
The INT was really bad......
Which "INT" are you referring to, the one that the Seasoned Russell Wilson threw in the Dolphins game or the one that Boykin threw yesterday?
Boykin is our undrafted backup that is seldom going to see the field, he mimics a lot of the moves that Russell Wilson had in his Rookie debut.
It's apparent that Pete is more comfortable with having someone as backup that the Coaches won't have to make hard turn changeup in their over all Offensive schemes.
I thought the kid did an okay job in this game; I think the reps are needed NOW as we need to see Wilson get his wheels back, because I'd rather chance losing a game or two NOW with Boykin (not necessarily a given) we could possibly lose a less mobile and gimped up Russell Wilson to a Season ending injury.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
People act as if a bad INT is just proof that the kid sucks. Wilson has thrown some questionable picks, Rookies make rookie mistakes, but if Pete has confidence, so do I, and aside from the bad throw, the kid looks good.

Vesuve

Reaction score
HawkGA":3owvos7t said:
The INT sucked, but other than that I thought he did well. Didn't like seeing the extra injury on Russ, but I was glad to see Boykin get a little work in.

Yeah, I very bad INT. I think it was a mental error / being a young rookie.

Yes, he needs the snaps.

Boycie

Reaction score
LymonHawk":2n6js3o6 said:
If RW can play, he will...period. I thought the O line played pretty good today.

I also considering Boykin came off the bench with no warning the kid did pretty good today. Better he should make mistakes and learn (hopefully) from them when we we have the game in hand, then when it's on the line.

And as far as TJ is concerned the man was killer on calling the coin toss, but that was about it. I'm not afraid of Boykin starting.

You have to take that with a grain of salt because he had a huge lead to work with. When the chips are down in a 0-0 game on the road will he have the same level of poise? I sure hope so because I do not feel T-Jack is going to be able to get it done this weekend.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1jyjwwla said:

On Boykin locking onto his targets....Needs Game film, Coaching, & play time to iron out the wrinkles, and let's face it, some of those things that a backup for Russell Wilson will probably get very little of.
Vet Quarterback Russell Wilson doesn't really have an excuse for throwing his pick in the game against the Dolphins.
A hobbled Wilson has no business holding onto the ball as long as he did yesterday....that injury was mostly on his reluctance to just throw it away.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Guy is a work in progress. Frankly I don't know if we can win with him unless the Defense shuts down the opposition AND creates turnovers.