Bradford to Eagles for Foles and picks

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
SeatownJay":wtwl4db3 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/575419829416554496[/tweet]
No word on what draft pick the Eagles get yet.

Unless Chip just wanted to clear Foles off the books by releasing/trading Bradford, I don't get this deal at all. Horrible. That pick better be high.

kearly

Reaction score
The only way this deal makes sense for Philly is if it is a stepping stone for Mariota. Bradford, on that contract and injury history, is a toxic asset. The Eagles, in terms of AYP, have about as much money invested in Bradford and Sanchez as the Packers did for Rodgers and Flynn last year. Think about that.

I think Seattle will probably hold Foles at bay in the head to head games, but this was a good trade for the Rams. I've never bought the Rams preseason hype ever, ever, ever... but this move will probably make them a winning team in 2015. We'll have to actually start caring about Rams wins and losses for a change instead of just hoping they can knock off SF and AZ.

titan3131

Reaction score
i agree with kearly, the eagles are going to sit mariota for a few years and play it right.

Basis4day

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":38ohhplh said:
SeatownJay":38ohhplh said:

Unless Chip just wanted to clear Foles off the books by releasing/trading Bradford, I don't get this deal at all. Horrible. That pick better be high.

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/p ... ms-offense

"The 2008 Oklahoma offense went on to become one of the most prolific in college football history. Playing at a breakneck speed in which they snapped the ball every 22.31 seconds, the Sooners ran 1,089 plays -- the most of any team in the country."

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Basis4day":1imbrsd7 said:
dontbelikethat":1imbrsd7 said:
SeatownJay":1imbrsd7 said:

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/p ... ms-offense

"The 2008 Oklahoma offense went on to become one of the most prolific in college football history. Playing at a breakneck speed in which they snapped the ball every 22.31 seconds, the Sooners ran 1,089 plays -- the most of any team in the country."

If Chip thinks that's his guy, well he can definitely prove me wrong. He (obviously) knows more than me, but from the outside looking in, talent wise, Foles & Bradford seemed near equal, while Bradford is older, more expensive, and injury prone.

Sherman4Prez

Reaction score
Eagles did not get the #10 pick. They will swap picks but not first rounders. It's a "complicated" trade. Not all the details are out.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Looks like the 2016 2nd rounder is contingent on Bradford being the starter in Philly.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/575428314640314369[/tweet]

Scottemojo

Reaction score
If Bradford is healthy, I love him in Chip's O. Chip will make him look very, very good. Any of you trying to project his stats in STL to Philly are way off base.

On the other hand, Foles is screwed in STL.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
SeatownJay":36ecv5cm said:
Looks like the 2016 2nd rounder is contingent on Bradford being the starter in Philly.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/575428314640314369[/tweet]

Conflicting reports...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/575433870532812800[/tweet]

Eagles will surrender 2016 2nd-round pick to Rams in QB trade no matter what. But will get back a conditional 2016 pick from Rams. It will be a 3rd if Bradford does not play at all; and a 4th if he starts less than 50 percent of plays.

Even if Bradford works out for the Eagles, Rams did very well with this trade from their perspective.

EDIT: Rams also saved 10m against cap this season and Bradford is a FA after this season...? Bradford goona hit 12m against the cap for the Eagles on a possible one year rental?

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Chip must love Bradford. Everyone thought the Eagles and Rams were going to swap 1st rounders, instead almost the opposite happened.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Now, if the curly horned goats would swap out their head coach, they just might be on their way.

Tical21

Reaction score
I actually think this is huge for the Eagles. Bradford is still the best college QB I have ever seen play a game at Husky Stadium, and to put him back in the spread is extremely dangerous. I do like Foles too though.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":5g6rdk16 said:
If Bradford is healthy, I love him in Chip's O. Chip will make him look very, very good. Any of you trying to project his stats in STL to Philly are way off base.

I hated Foles as a prospect, but he showed very encouraging signs as a rookie under Andy Reid before having a breakout season in 2013 under Kelly. He's not a system QB. He honestly reminds me of Brett Favre. There is some grit and improvisational brilliance to him, though it comes at the cost of some boneheaded plays.

The fact that the Eagles gave up on Foles so easily while over-paying to keep Sanchez strikes me as favoring a "type" over actual talent. Pete has done this a few times and made it work because he's Pete Carroll, but usually when coaches do this it is a mistake.

I don't see the Rams as being a QB graveyard ala the Rex Jets. Various journeyman QBs waltzed in there and performed right around league average. I just think Bradford is a system guy who couldn't stay healthy, and they stuck with him too long. I don't see Foles as a system guy, but as a talent who has positives and negatives.

I agree that Bradford is a good system fit, but I just wouldn't trust him to stay healthy and I think Bradford had a very good shot at being released in the near future. To give up anything of value for him with his health problems and salary is a mistake.

I've always liked Bradford though and will be rooting for you to be 100% right. It would be great if Foles sucked too.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Unless Bradford is the guy, it's just wacky. He's goona take on 12m cap hit compared to 1m of Foles? That's money you could've spent on a FA and Eagles definitely have a lot of holes...then Bradford is also a FA after this year and theoretically could leave. So then all that for a one year rental? And we didn't even get into the draft picks they gave up...

I mean, if that's Chip's guy, then I understand you gotta spend to get your guy, but if things go sour, he just put himself in a hole.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":3e4ukpd1 said:
Scottemojo":3e4ukpd1 said:

I hated Foles as a prospect, but he showed very encouraging signs as a rookie under Andy Reid before having a breakout season in 2013 under Kelly. He's not a system QB. He honestly reminds me of Brett Favre. There is some grit and improvisational brilliance to him, though it comes at the cost of some boneheaded plays.

The fact that the Eagles gave up on Foles so easily while over-paying to keep Sanchez strikes me as favoring a "type" over actual talent. Pete has done this a few times and made it work because he's Pete Carroll, but usually when coaches do this it is a mistake.

I don't see the Rams as being a QB graveyard ala the Rex Jets. Various journeyman QBs waltzed in there and performed right around league average. I just think Bradford is a system guy who couldn't stay healthy, and they stuck with him too long. I don't see Foles as a system guy, but as a talent who has positives and negatives.

I agree that Bradford is a good system fit, but I just wouldn't trust him to stay healthy and I think Bradford had a very good shot at being released in the near future. To give up anything of value for him with his health problems and salary is a mistake.

I've always liked Bradford though and will be rooting for you to be 100% right. It would be great if Foles sucked too.
in 2013, Foles had a great line in front of him. In 2014, he didn't, and looked bad, very bad, when pressured. Panicky even. STL has holes in their pass pro that are unlikely to be fixed immediately. Which does not bode well for a QB who got hurt when he got hit.

The thing to be seen is if STL is now the team that packages picks to move up and get into the NFC west mobile QB club.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2wrxl0mv said:
Philly also got the #10 pick. I bet they still target mariotA and move Bradford again.
This is exactly my feeling. Bradford will be dealt or he will back up Mariota once the Chipster sells out the farm to get him.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3sm5z42f said:
The thing to be seen is if STL is now the team that packages picks to move up and get into the NFC west mobile QB club.

They have been rumored to be after Foles for months. I think Foles is their guy.