BRADY/PATS PUNISHMENT OVER TURNED BY JUDGE. (Updated 9/3/15)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ringless":1g2v08sc said:
It's been pointed out that if Brady is to lose in court, he will likely just appeal again, just at another level.

But then he'd be cutting into the season and missing games.

Unless he can somehow get an injunction until the new appeal is heard. Not sure how that works.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
ringless":27wlkbbx said:
While the Judge asked the NFL some questions that made it seem like they would lose the case, he gave the NFLPA and Toms attorney the same treatment.

The Patriots instead of using their scientific report basically said that the ball boys went rogue and did it without Toms approval. Which I find interesting. Which of course the Judge said wouldn't be done without Brady's approval.

He is trying to get doubt in both sides to reach an agreement which could but wont happen on August 19th. If no agreement is made on August 19th, the Judge will have until September 4th to reach an agreement.

It's been pointed out that if Brady is to lose in court, he will likely just appeal again, just at another level.

Couldn't Brady continuing to pursue this through the legal system be construed as detrimental to the integrity of the league. Let him know he will get another 8 games for dragging the league through the mud if he appeals and loses.

athanas

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":hu3a82pf said:
athanas":hu3a82pf said:
Why haven't Jabroni and McNutlly been reached for comment, yet? Seems all of this can be answered by talking to these two cats.

They have nothing to do with the current proceedings.

Sure don't. But had someone scored an interview beforehand, these proceedings might have become moot.
For a society that pays millions of dollars for celebrity baby pictures, no one is trying to throw the two guys at the heart of the act, (now fully being blamed by the Pats after they said they could prove scientifically that nature deflated the balls at such an obscure range and denied any wrongdoing,) a bone to hear their side?

Switching gears, if the suspension is upheld and Brady appeals to a higher court, will there be any point where witnesses are called?

Greenhell

Reaction score
Shady is already a total a-hole for even taking it to this level. To pursue an even higher court if it's upheld is absolutely disgusting and appalling. :pukeface:

mikeak

Reaction score
I believe it was Julius Peppers that had a 4 game suspension his rookie year. It was towards the end and first he appealed but then he withdrew it. He realized it was a crappy season and didn't want to start the next one suspended.

Point being if Brady lose at this level then he may be better off being suspended the first four games then ending up suspended towards the last games of the season / playoffs.......

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
athanas":do9fq5be said:
FlyHawksFly":do9fq5be said:
athanas":do9fq5be said:
Why haven't Jabroni and McNutlly been reached for comment, yet? Seems all of this can be answered by talking to these two cats.

They have nothing to do with the current proceedings.

Sure don't. But had someone scored an interview beforehand, these proceedings might have become moot.
For a society that pays millions of dollars for celebrity baby pictures, no one is trying to throw the two guys at the heart of the act, (now fully being blamed by the Pats after they said they could prove scientifically that nature deflated the balls at such an obscure range and denied any wrongdoing,) a bone to hear their side?

Switching gears, if the suspension is upheld and Brady appeals to a higher court, will there be any point where witnesses are called?

Are the balls witnesses??? :twisted: :stirthepot:

chris98251

Reaction score
On a more recent note, Brady threw two passes tonight, both had two much air under them and were over throws.

kearly

Reaction score
The New York judge in the Brady - Goodell case strikes me as a complete idiot.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... s-hearing/

Judge seems to be buying the defense argument that just because Brady knew the balls were deflated, doesn't mean it was his idea.

The judge is also asking for Goodell to take a plea despite the fact that Brady will never admit guilt. At this point though, the judge is such a moron that doing a deal with Brady might be better than having an incompetent judge make a ruling.

ringless

Reaction score
It seems as though the NFL will lose this case. Judge Berman hammered them today on a lot of things. Brady wont be missing a game.

Threedee

Reaction score
ringless":2sss33fh said:
It seems as though the NFL will lose this case. Judge Berman hammered them today on a lot of things. Brady wont be missing a game.

On ESPN this morning, Adam Schefter and Sal Paolantonio reported that the NFL could still win in appellate courts, because of SCOTUS precedent stating that courts should exercise "extreme deference" to the findings of arbitrators.

253hawk

Reaction score
kearly":28glm71m said:
Judge seems to be buying the defense argument that just because Brady knew the balls were deflated, doesn't mean it was his idea.

Which is completely moronic. No random-ass Joe Ballboy is going to suggest to a professional QB that maybe they should take some air out so it'll be easier for him to throw. Now giving Brady benefit of the doubt (ugh I just puked in my mouth a little), I could see them doing it strictly to help prevent fumbles on offense. Seems like one of those shady loopholes that would be right up Billy's alley to try and exploit.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
At this point if I were the NFL I would just make a statement saying the NFL has already ruled on this and will no longer negotiate. If the courts choose to over rule the suspension then so be it but it doesn't effect the NFL's stand.

Cartire

Reaction score
I still dont understand how no journalist has been able to get a single interview with either ball boy/equipment manager (remember, they were fired, which is weird because apparently the patriots said nothing happened).

This smells like the Hardy case where the key witness (or victim in his case) was paid off to stay the hell a way.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
If Tom Brady's appeal of his four-game suspension is not settled and federal judge has not yet ruled on the case, an NFL source tells ESPN's Sal Paolantonio that Brady's suspension will start on Saturday, Sept. 5. That's the day NFL teams must reduce their rosters to a maxium of 53 players by 4 p.m. ET. What is not known, according to the source, is how the litigation will affect the Patriots' final roster. U.S District Court Judge Richard M. Berman said Wednesday during a hearing on Brady's appeal, that barring a settlement, he hopes to rule by Sept. 4, but that is a quick turnaround for him. Both the NFL and NFLPA have asked the judge to rule by that date, which is six days before the Patriots' season-opener against the Steelers. This means that it's possible that as of Sept. 5, Brady will be barred from entering Gillette Stadium if his case is not decided.

https://m.facebook.com/AdamSchefter/pos ... 0559287585

kearly

Reaction score
Cartire":2kfsxdvw said:
I still dont understand how no journalist has been able to get a single interview with either ball boy/equipment manager (remember, they were fired, which is weird because apparently the patriots said nothing happened).

This smells like the Hardy case where the key witness (or victim in his case) was paid off to stay the hell a way.

If those canaries could sing, oh what a song it would be.

They probably signed non-disclosure statements when they first came aboard many years ago. I'm guessing that they probably aren't speaking on account of being sued into oblivion.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
kearly":p2d0cpgi said:
Cartire":p2d0cpgi said:

If those canaries could sing, oh what a song it would be.

They probably signed non-disclosure statements when they first came aboard many years ago. I'm guessing that they probably aren't speaking on account of being sued into oblivion.

...Or there may end up being "holes" in their testimony.

rigelian

Reaction score
kearly":2al12z3b said:
The New York judge in the Brady - Goodell case strikes me as a complete idiot.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... s-hearing/

The judge is also asking for Goodell to take a plea despite the fact that Brady will never admit guilt. At this point though, the judge is such a moron that doing a deal with Brady might be better than having an incompetent judge make a ruling.

Judges tend to try and force settlements if possible. This is particularly true with federal judges. Often they do it by making the guy with the strongest case feel vulnerable, being that the guy with the strong cases is less likely to settle. This seems basically par for the course.

vonstout

Reaction score
I don't think the judge has the authority to reduce the suspension. He has to go one way or the other, so it's 4 games or none. He knows that it's likely that any decision he makes is going to be appealed. That's why he wants them to settle on their own. That puts an end to it. He was hammering the NFL to try to get them to negotiate. It didn't work. I'll be surprised if he doesn't uphold the suspension.