Brandon Marshall is in town

naholmes

Reaction score
Hell no Marshall was terrible last year with poor effort and dropping passes and basically doing nothing when the Giants desperately needed him. Then he blew out his ankle. He’s done.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Marshall would be solid in the Red Zone. If he comes on the cheap, why not? Also, if he starts whining, cut him.
Shoot, Dez might be a baby, but he's a hell of a red zone player. I don't like the guy, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are considering him. That all being said, I prefer the younger guys get the reps.

xStickybudz

Reaction score
Better be vet minimum cuz the only thing this man has been good at recently is pilfering money from NY and chillin on the bench

original poster

Reaction score
He doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the moves this season and the culture 'reset'.

What happens when he gets arsey about not being targeted enough? His personality really doesn't seem to fit in with the 2018 Seahawks if you ask me.

I'd give his targets to Darboh/Moore/UDFA every single time and shorten their learning curve.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":3n50m3xl said:
I don't see anything in it for Marshall.

At 34 he's looking for a paycheck or a title. Neither are likely in Seattle this year.

I don't see much in it for the Seahawks.

We've been working all off-season to get younger/leaner/faster/hungrier with emphasis on buy-in to the Carroll Plan. Marshall displaces an up-and-coming player with future upside for a stop-gap with no future.
Well said, this is exactly what I think about a potential Marshall signing.

For anyone wanting to sign him: Which of the young developing receivers do you cut to make room for Marshall? Whose role is reduced to give Marshall snaps? And, is Marshall the kind of locker room guy who can help the young guys get better?

I would much rather see what we have in Moore, Darboh, Brown, and Grayson, than spend any resources ($$, roster spot, snap count, coaching) on Marshall.

quadsas

Reaction score
Sun Tzu":3f8necwu said:
KiwiHawk":3f8necwu said:

At 34 he's looking for a paycheck or a title. Neither are likely in Seattle this year.

We've been working all off-season to get younger/leaner/faster/hungrier with emphasis on buy-in to the Carroll Plan. Marshall displaces an up-and-coming player with future upside for a stop-gap with no future.

For anyone wanting to sign him: Which of the young developing receivers do you cut to make room for Marshall? Whose role is reduced to give Marshall snaps? And, is Marshall the kind of locker room guy who can help the young guys get better?

I would much rather see what we have in Moore, Darboh, Brown, and Grayson, than spend any resources ($$, roster spot, snap count, coaching) on Marshall.

So you should never sign a veteran? Thats absolutely stupid. Were not tanking, were still trying to be a playoff team.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Pretty much any time they even just talk to a guy, people start freaking out. This is Pete and John, they kick all tires.

kf3339

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":26falz5u said:
Pretty much any time they even just talk to a guy, people start freaking out. This is Pete and John, they kick all tires.

:ditto:

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
AgentDib":2chla4gp said:
If he's too expensive then we don't sign him. If we do sign him and he isn't one of our best five receivers in training camp then we release him. Where's the downside?

This. There is really no reason to debate further than this.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2kok2vm3 said:

Did Fred Flinstone's car have tires or rocks for wheels?? Reason I ask is one hurts and the other doesn't. :twisted:

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
quadsas":3w1f5dz4 said:
Sun Tzu":3w1f5dz4 said:
KiwiHawk":3w1f5dz4 said:

So you should never sign a veteran? Thats absolutely stupid. Were not tanking, were still trying to be a playoff team.
Good morning straw man, argument from omniscience, and appeal to consequences (or, maybe it is an appeal to faith).

AgentDib

Reaction score
Sun Tzu":3vspl0ge said:
This is the wrong way to look at it in the NFL IMO. There's no farm system and we're trying to win this year. If Brandon Marshall wins a spot over any of those "young developing" receivers then they can continue to develop on the practice squad or on another roster. If you're going to carry a receiver on your 53 man roster for the entire year based mainly on their future upside then it better be extremely high and they shouldn't be threatened by competition from a veteran well past his prime.

There's plenty of time to worry about the 2019 receiver group during the next off-season with another go around on the draft and FA.

Zeearend

Reaction score
AgentDib":srvmp6dq said:
Sun Tzu":srvmp6dq said:
This is the wrong way to look at it in the NFL IMO. There's no farm system and we're trying to win this year. If Brandon Marshall wins a spot over any of those "young developing" receivers then they can continue to develop on the practice squad or on another roster. If you're going to carry a receiver on your 53 man roster for the entire year based mainly on their future upside then it better be extremely high and they shouldn't be threatened by competition from a veteran well past his prime.

There's plenty of time to worry about the 2019 receiver group during the next off-season with another go around on the draft and FA.

This makes sense to me, but I don't like the injury issue. We had to much of that last year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I've never liked Marshall, not even when he was good.

Now he stinks, gets hurt all the time AND will bring a crappy attitude to the locker room? No thanks.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":1lkxqsxh said:
Sun Tzu":1lkxqsxh said:

I disagree.

Most rookie wide receivers take more than one year to acclimate to the NFL and achieve their potential. If you replace them before they reach their potential with the latest swan-song vet grabbing a final payday before retirement, then you never allow your young guys to develop.

I'm not against signing veterans, when they have potential to stick around for a few years. But I think it's a complete waste of time to bring in a one-and-done sort of guy at the expense of a player who could be good for years.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Marshall or McEvoy? If you could only have one.

Good camp battle.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The FO is rolling over rocks,..

Somehow I doubt present day Marshall appreciates his real value. He still could be a positive addition to the team but the price would need to be right. He’s unlikely to be signed as he would have to accept he’d be a bit player in our scheme. He could still be a valuable addition, but somehow I doubt he gets signed here and we’d be unlikely to meet his financial expectations.

A couple of seasons ago for sure, instead of Graham, at a lesser cost w/o the draft pick loss.

AgentDib

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":3rar393j said:
Most rookie wide receivers take more than one year to acclimate to the NFL and achieve their potential. If you replace them before they reach their potential with the latest swan-song vet grabbing a final payday before retirement, then you never allow your young guys to develop.
We can develop guys like Grayson, McEvoy and Moore on the practice squad. None of them are rookies anymore or are even under contract with us in 2019 so I don't see how it makes sense to take a long view on any of them. Spending valuable 53 man roster spots to develop youth just in time for them to hit FA and sign with other teams is the mistake we have made with our OL over the last five seasons.

I was alright with red shirting Darboh last year partly for the reason that you mentioned but mostly because I didn't think we had a better option. Given the razor thin margin of a few of our losses last year, we would have had a decent shot at making the playoffs if we had a veteran instead who could have contributed more. The story is also much different for Darboh as a former third round pick with three years left on his deal than it is for a camp body or UDFA on a single year contract.

toffee

Reaction score
Bringing in a vet is fine, even just for short term help, problem here is Brandon, he look pretty bad last season. He will only be a year older now, and unlike to improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
AgentDib":qo8qbbhk said:
KiwiHawk":qo8qbbhk said:
We can develop guys like Grayson, McEvoy and Moore on the practice squad. None of them are rookies anymore or are even under contract with us in 2019 so I don't see how it makes sense to take a long view on any of them. Spending valuable 53 man roster spots to develop youth just in time for them to hit FA and sign with other teams is the mistake we have made with our OL over the last five seasons.

I was alright with red shirting Darboh last year partly for the reason that you mentioned but mostly because I didn't think we had a better option. Given the razor thin margin of a few of our losses last year, we would have had a decent shot at making the playoffs if we had a veteran instead who could have contributed more. The story is also much different for Darboh as a former third round pick with three years left on his deal than it is for a camp body or UDFA on a single year contract.
You can only develop guys on the practice squad if no other team signs them. Last year Moore was moved from the practice squad to the active roster to protect him. I think, and the coaches seem to agree, he has serious potential. Every player should be evaluated on expected future performance. Past performance is only important in so much as it predicts future performance, and past performance is only an indicator of future performance to a certain point. For every athlete, the time comes when the decline becomes steep enough that past performance is no longer a valid indicator of future performance. Many fans get caught up in the allure of known names well beyond the point at which the known name can continue to perform up to or even close to their previous level. Valuing past performance and known names over expected future performance is a surefire way to tank a winning franchise or derail a reloading/rebuilding franchise.

And, spending a valuable 53 man roster spot to develop youth is a much better use of the roster spot, particularly in a "reload" year, than wasting it on a well past his prime vet with a less than stellar history as a teammate just looking for a final paycheck.

If Marshall is signed, I would not be surprised if the sole purpose of the signing is to generate competition in the preseason and then cut him prior to the regular season.