Brandon Marshall is in town

AgentDib

Reaction score
Sun Tzu":2rvjrivy said:
I think, and the coaches seem to agree... [Moore]... has serious potential.
I certainly hope he does as Moore playing great for us in 2018 would be a needed boost to our receiving corps. My only point is that carrying him around because he might be good in 2019 doesn't make any sense as he isn't under contract to us then, and you correctly note that other teams can sign our promising players if they aren't under contract.

Of course I agree with you on future performance, but I don't think anybody is suggesting Brandon Marshall should be awarded a spot based on his past accomplishments. If the Hawks think he could provide good competition in training camp then that's what matters, and if through that competition he wins a spot then we're better off for including him. If he loses the spot but plays well and lights a fire under Darboh then we're also better off for including him.

Overall, I love the optimism around our young receivers and I'm not trying to bash them too hard, but I just can't fully go along with it. Every NFL team has a surplus of young raw receivers this time of year that the fan base gets excited about and most end up out of the league or on a practice squad. It could very well be that a key 2019 receiver for us is a guy like Steven Dunbar who ends up on the 49ers practice squad until we sign him in September and replace a guy that we spent the entire training camp developing.

chris98251

Reaction score
Young receivers usually have two big issues, route running and being able to get off the line clean, both take technique and discipline. All these guys can catch when not in traffic or they would not even make camp, it's when they have to separate and fight for a contested ball using their hands and position many fall short as well. Body catchers have a hard time adjusting the talent level is so close they can't just physically dominate like they did in college.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
None of our young practice squad guys (or even McEvoy) will ever get to the levels Marshall has reached. The only question is can Marshall pull it together now to be a situational red zone player, coming in for 12-15 plays a game and produce results -- or at least loosen up the secondary to allow other guys to get open.

I'd say he's worth a look if the price is right.

NJlargent

Reaction score
No to these one year prove it deals. They don’t work out

SeaChat

Reaction score
I’ve been watching the news feeds, anywhere and everywhere to see what came of this meeting. I like Brandon Marshall, a lot, as a player and as a person. The guy has had some serious battles to fight in his life that kept him from being his best on the field.

I really think that if his healed up from his injury, that there is no doubt he would be a play maker for us. Brandon was one of the few guys in the NFL that gave Sherman his moneys worth, trying to cover. That would be something to see when we go up against the 49'rs this year and we have Marshall, Lockett, and Baldwin putting their moves on Richard.

I don't really take any satisfaction in Richard being exposed as a has been, in 2018, but my radar is up on him and I think we didn't get the full skinny on his medical progress and prognosis from our team doctors, in regards to Sherm's Achilles job. I would think that if it were a positive one, that John and Pete would have kept him around, no matter his attitude and all that noise.

In any event, getting back to Brandon. I think if there is anywhere in the NFL that he would be happy, we are the team and the fan base he needs right now. I'm of the mind that all of us up here in the Pacific Northwest are a few cards short of a full deck, that is what makes life here so damn great, I think we all know it and all accept it in each other, it makes for acme pretty unique characters around us. You won't find the heart and soul you find here, anywhere else in the world. The 12 rock and our players all greatly appreciate it, especially those that played elsewhere in the NFL before coming here.

Go Seahawks !

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
The "spirit may be willing....but the flesh is weak". I doubt that he can make it out of TC and onto the 53 man roster.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
King Dog":21e6684t said:
We must have low balled him. I wouldn't mind Decker either.
If we did lowball him it was the right move.

As I said previously, there's nothing in this for either Marshall or the Seahawks. The only way that changes is of Marhshall goes to his local Psychic and finds out the Seahawks are destined to win the Super Bowl this year, and signs for a single peanut in order to get a ring. That was never going to happen.

Oh and for those bemoaning the red zone target thing, what we need to fix the red zone is a bulldozing run game. Added blocking tight ends. Added blocking fullback. Added RB who tends to end the play with his head in the proper direction.

The biggest problem with Jimmy Graham was we were lining up in a set from which we could run or pass, except the combination of Graham and the block-by-falling-down technique meant we couldn't run. We had to pass and the opposition knew it.

We will replace Graham's red-zone output with the running game.

chris98251

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2vjrg8qt said:
King Dog":2vjrg8qt said:
We must have low balled him. I wouldn't mind Decker either.
If we did lowball him it was the right move.

As I said previously, there's nothing in this for either Marshall or the Seahawks. The only way that changes is of Marhshall goes to his local Psychic and finds out the Seahawks are destined to win the Super Bowl this year, and signs for a single peanut in order to get a ring. That was never going to happen.

Oh and for those bemoaning the red zone target thing, what we need to fix the red zone is a bulldozing run game. Added blocking tight ends. Added blocking fullback. Added RB who tends to end the play with his head in the proper direction.

The biggest problem with Jimmy Graham was we were lining up in a set from which we could run or pass, except the combination of Graham and the block-by-falling-down technique meant we couldn't run. We had to pass and the opposition knew it.

We will replace Graham's red-zone output with the running game.

What I see missing here is all those goal line scoring opportunities inside the 5 yard line may be turned into touchdowns running the ball now and not so dependent on a post up or fade route becasue we may actually move the defense backwards.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
If Brandon Marshall came at the right price I would be down for having him compete in training camp. He would be a good situational receiver, and red zone threat. He could be like a Joe Juravicious figure. He could also be good in three receiver sets. Have him line up on the outside, and move Baldwin in where he is best at slot during key situations.

olyfan63

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":3vlsc9so said:
I don't see anything in it for Marshall.

At 34 he's looking for a paycheck or a title. Neither are likely in Seattle this year.

I don't see much in it for the Seahawks.

We've been working all off-season to get younger/leaner/faster/hungrier with emphasis on buy-in to the Carroll Plan. Marshall displaces an up-and-coming player with future upside for a stop-gap with no future.

Carroll Plan? You've never heard of the Marshall Plan? Once again, the Yanks need to help out Europe.
The Hawks will sign him, and then after the London game, release him/reassign him to NFL Europe.

Seriously, Marshall is the only big-time athlete I am aware of that has come out publicly as having Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD). I've written here before that Percy Harvin's history and behavior checked ALL the boxes and then some for BPD, That is where Pete got his "education" in this area. So, whatever else, Pete and John will be making an educated decision, and will know how to have the right conversations. Historically, when a person with BPD goes to a new "tribe", they will put their best foot forward for a period of time. So I would expect Marshall to ball out (or die trying) if the Hawks do sign him and he has anything left in the tank. (Open question on the tank) I have total respect for Brandon Marshall as a person for doing what he's done, and the courage that takes.

There is definitely the potential for Marshall to thrive here, but a one year rental is the most likely success scenario. If Marshall makes it, will he displace a potential up-and-coming? I will trust Pete and John's judgment on that one. NFL WR is one of the more difficult positions for a young player to pick up and play at a high level. Do we have any young WRs on the cusp of stardom? Will he be a good mentor for a guy like Amara Darboh? Maybe even for this Stringfellow guy?

At this point, I will refer further questions to my agent. AgentDib ForTheWin.

AgentDib":3vlsc9so said:
If he's too expensive then we don't sign him. If we do sign him and he isn't one of our best five receivers in training camp then we release him. Where's the downside?

2_0_6

Reaction score
I wonder if the Hawks have interest in Dez and are trying to put some pressure on him to take less by bringing in Marshall..

HawkerD

Reaction score
Seymour":2c6ucaqq said:
hawks85":2c6ucaqq said:
Pass. Not interested. Past his prime.

This ^^^

We have a bad record with has been WR's and Marshall will not get enough separation for Russell to "take the chance" squeezing into tight windows. Fail waiting to happen IMO.

Agreed. And Dez Bryant is a cancer, the ultimate diva. If the hawks are trying to create a new locker room dynamic, Dez isn't a guy I want in there.

toffee

Reaction score
HawkerD":1v0qnxa5 said:
Seymour":1v0qnxa5 said:
hawks85":1v0qnxa5 said:

This ^^^

We have a bad record with has been WR's and Marshall will not get enough separation for Russell to "take the chance" squeezing into tight windows. Fail waiting to happen IMO.

Agreed. And Dez Bryant is a cancer, the ultimate diva. If the hawks are trying to create a new locker room dynamic, Dez isn't a guy I want in there.
would having both Brandon and Dez sort of balance each other out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

original poster

Reaction score
toffee":2biw490e said:
HawkerD":2biw490e said:
Seymour":2biw490e said:
hawks85":2biw490e said:

This ^^^

You'd need a third guy for that really.

May I recommend Percy Harvin?

olyfan63

Reaction score
original poster":3cm0akzy said:
toffee":3cm0akzy said:
HawkerD":3cm0akzy said:
Seymour":3cm0akzy said:
This ^^^

You'd need a third guy for that really.

May I recommend Percy Harvin?

Since Y'all asked...

Nice idea about Percy, but that would throw things totally out of balance.

By Googling comments about Dez, the content consensus associates him more with the term "Narcissist". So, for a thought experiment only, let us assume he either has been secretly diagnosed NPD, or has all the traits and has evaded any situation that woudl result in a diagnosis, and secretly is NPD. Thought experiment only!!

Borderline + Borderline = Too much drama and blaming others and victim behavior and language to even think about.
Narcissist + Narcissist = It can work if the egos fit together and the team is winning, or it can come unglued in finger pointing and "my poop doesn't stink" if either one is at risk of appearing to have flaws in their performance.
Borderline + Suspected Borderline + Narcissist = A hot mess, chaos, unpredictable results, probably mostly bad.

Borderline + Narcissist = Soul Mates. United against the world. Match made in Heaven.0752

So, THE ANSWER: YES, we could get Dez AND Marshall, and they would do just fine together for a one-season rental. Past that, all bets are off, get rid of at least one.

Now all I need is the 5 cent advice sign graphic to post here. Anybody?

And all the above is simply about the RELATIONSHIPs, not whether Dez or Marshall have anything left as football players. I'll leave that to Pete...