Brandon Marshall signing

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This is an interesting addition which may or may not work out. Bob Condotta believes from what he is hearing that Marshall's contract allows him to be cut after camp with little or no cost to the team if he proves unable to earn a spot on the team.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
giphy.gif

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3ioul5r0 said:
OkieHawk":3ioul5r0 said:
I'm probably in the minority, but I'm not thrilled by this. We have been burned too many times by free agent receivers in the past.

I do hope I'm proven wrong though.

Did we lose anything? Whats the problem? He provides leadership, experience, size and I think he still has a couple of good years left.

I just don't see any issue to this signing.

I also amended my statement a bit later on. I commented before seeing the contract details, which was my bad. In my OP, I did also state that I would be in the minority, and that I hoped I was proven wrong, not sure why that was kind of glossed over...

Regardless, we'll see in the coming months how this plays out.

Chapow

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1cv9fs1n said:
If he ends up with 500+ yards and/or 5+ TDs, this was a steal.

That seems a lot more like somewhere in the range of decent to good value than a steal to me.

jammerhawk":1cv9fs1n said:
This is an interesting addition which may or may not work out. Bob Condotta believes from what he is hearing that Marshall's contract allows him to be cut after camp with little or no cost to the team if he proves unable to earn a spot on the team.

I would certainly think that would be expected in a contract like this.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I'm not too sure I like this move. I was hoping to see Darboh and Moore step up, maybe they aren't ready too. That is disappointing.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
i'm totally okay with this because several of our younger guys like Darboh, Moore, Jaron Brown and Marcus Johnson should learn from watching Marshall use his body to protect the ball.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Chapow":1b2xs91c said:
hawknation2018":1b2xs91c said:
If he ends up with 500+ yards and/or 5+ TDs, this was a steal.

That seems a lot more like somewhere in the range of decent to good value than a steal to me.

For $2 million max (with incentives)? Yeah, that would be a steal.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Camp body...TO experiment part 2. Probably still better than Macevoy though...if ge makes the team he is likely to complain about his playing time and ask for his release by week 6.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
If he makes the team, his run-blocking could be a huge boost to our run game... don't overlook that aspect of his game.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1wqxxx4q said:
Camp body...TO experiment part 2. Probably still better than Macevoy though...if ge makes the team he is likely to complain about his playing time and ask for his release by week 6.

Not really. Owens was 38 years old, coming off knee surgery, and hadn't played in the league in more than a year when he signed with the Seahawks.

The Marshall situation seems different in those ways: four years younger, no knee surgery (though he did have a knee sprain a few years ago), fully recovered from ankle surgery, highly productive two seasons ago, better blocker at this stage.

chris98251

Reaction score
Win, Win, if he can keep his head on straight, he will bring a Nasty that Doug has as well, why do good blockers also have that edge to them? But if nothing else he will bring that edge that we can hope rubs off on the other guys also and watching him block and set up is also only going to help our young guys. He can be cut with almost no major impact so that will push him as well. The Cancer aspect of his mood swings is our biggest worry and if that could leak over to other guys. He will call guys out for not working hard as well.

Jville

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3gmryu42 said:
Cyrus12":3gmryu42 said:

Not really. Owens was 38 years old, coming off knee surgery, and hadn't played in the league in more than a year when he signed with the Seahawks.
The Marshall situation seems different in those ways: four years younger, no knee surgery (though he did have a knee sprain a few years ago), fully recovered from ankle surgery, highly productive two seasons ago, better blocker at this stage.

Andre Johnson might have made a better comparison ........ [tweet]https://twitter.com/zjwhitman/status/1001535055230111744[/tweet]

IndyHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":8trowpb4 said:
Win, Win, if he can keep his head on straight, he will bring a Nasty that Doug has as well, why do good blockers also have that edge to them? But if nothing else he will bring that edge that we can hope rubs off on the other guys also and watching him block and set up is also only going to help our young guys. He can be cut with almost no major impact so that will push him as well. The Cancer aspect of his mood swings is our biggest worry and if that could leak over to other guys. He will call guys out for not working hard as well.

This is my main concern..
But I'd worry about this with Dez too..
I think this guy can suck it up for one season..Please

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Jville":rehux91u said:
hawknation2018":rehux91u said:
Cyrus12":rehux91u said:

Andre Johnson might have made a better comparison ........ [tweet]https://twitter.com/zjwhitman/status/1001535055230111744[/tweet]

Better in terms of age, for sure, not as good in terms of health, physicality, blocking, etc.