Bring on those kitty cats!

endzorn

Reaction score
MLTHawk":2nb02bz2 said:
Dallas and Greenbay are also forced to beat each other up now.
Thats like saying Elizabeth Hasselbeck and Whoopie Goldberg will beat each other up. Two vaguely masculine cream puffs are playing in Green Bay next week.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Aros":2meexd2x said:
MLTHawk":2meexd2x said:
After watching Detroit play, I'm happy we are getting the Cats. That doesn't mean I don't think we wouldn't beat Detroit, because I do. I just think it's going to be a lot easier match up and hopefully less risk of injury. Dallas and Greenbay are also forced to beat each other up now.

Yep, that's how I feel. Man, for most of that Dallas game, I was like, "Damn, the Lions mean business." I too feel we will beat any team coming to Seattle in January, but I'm not going to pretend I wasn't a bit nervous had the Lions been able to play a complete game like they did for much of it.

Funny, the Lions made me a lot more nervous before the game. They came out and I felt like Dallas didn't match Detroit's intensity. The Lions played from ahead the entire time, and when Dallas got a VERY favorable non call, the Lions folded like a wet paper bag. Stafford and co. have that reputation and it's well earned.

Honestly, I think we would boat race the Lions after watching that game. Their defense scared me more than any single squad on any team left in the NFC (including Dallas' offense which I rate better than GB's in terms of difficulty to defend), but when you come to the CLink it's a giant pressure cooker all game. They would wilt.

Dallas is starting to worry me a bit more now. I don't think they can beat us, but they're gaining playoff experience and confidence that they can come from behind. They've also won up there once, which would give them a boost as well.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
CamGoesHAM":16t8j5p0 said:
Seattle has beaten Carolina over the past 4 years by an average of 4 points... Seattle won't get the W as easy as most of you idiots think... Carolina is hot

Not too many of us think a win will be easy, but it will happen. Trust us, we know our team very, very well. And, you're in our house. Good luck on Saturday.

brettb3

Reaction score
Anyone nervous about this game would have been nervous about any opponent we could have played. Carolina is the worst NFL playoff team since us in 2010.

Mick063

Reaction score
My honest, sincere opinion.

I give Carolina a 20% chance to win.

Seattle takes care of the ball. Almost to a fault. The offense is extremely conservative. If Carolina is pinning their hopes on a few breaks, it isn't going to come from Seattle turnovers. Carolina is going to have to nickel and dime their way from typically bad field position to about 24 points. I don't see them making that many mistake free plays to sustain multiple drives for that many points. Especially after viewing that Cardinal game.

To Panther fans:

Look up the statistic known as "Toxic Differential". Learn about it. See where Seattle is and see where Carolina is. Then take into account strength of schedule. That is where it gets eye opening. When considering toxic differential and strength of schedule together.

Sam Mills Fan

Reaction score
Laloosh":1n6nxqrs said:
Sam Mills Fan":1n6nxqrs said:
Any Seahawk fan predicting a Seahawk W on Saturday based off their win earlier in the year: I wouldn't do that. Half the starters are different now. We have a very good offensive line and two fine corners for the first time in years. The running game has righted itself. The Panthers still have three glaring weaknesses the Seahawks can exploit:

Byron Bell is sadly not one of the starters that was cut or benched and is still protecting Cam's blind side at left tackle. He has to be the worst starting left tackle in the league at pass protection.

Roman Harper has been playing better the last month of the season, but he's still super spotty in coverage and I think all three losses to Seattle have come from Wilson and Doug Baldwin burning a safety in the second half.

And the biggest one of all is special teams. Football Outsiders had the Panthers special teams ranked 30th in the league this year and god-awful special teams play is what kept Arizona hanging around yesterday. When we lost Ted Ginn Jr in free agency, we didn't bother replacing him for some reason. We were left without a single player that had returned punts in the NFL or even college. Brenton Bersin has to be the worst punt returner the NFL has seen in ages. He's guaranteed a muff or near-muff at least once per game. Stupid turnovers like muffed punts are sure-fire ways to get fans loud, so he has to manage to at least literally just field the punts cleanly if the Panthers hope to win.

There you have it. I call things down the middle and I think this is a fair assessment. The Panthers have a good quarterback (who admittedly hasn't played great against Seattle), A+ running game, great tight end, and a great defense everywhere except strong safety (and Harper has played better). Weak left tackle, weak strong safety, horrendous special teams.

What does that mean on Saturday? I'm not going to pick a winner, but if you're expecting a blowout win with the caliber of players we have out there now, you're going to be very disappointed Saturday night.

So in short, you think your team is going to lose as well? I'm not trying to be rude, just seems like a lot of "fluff" in your non-committal post there...

I don't know. I just wanted to sign up here and write this. I may or may not be drinking before the worst day of the year tomorrow: the Monday after New Years.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Sam Mills Fan":1kh12l4o said:
Laloosh":1kh12l4o said:
Sam Mills Fan":1kh12l4o said:
Any Seahawk fan predicting a Seahawk W on Saturday based off their win earlier in the year: I wouldn't do that. Half the starters are different now. We have a very good offensive line and two fine corners for the first time in years. The running game has righted itself. The Panthers still have three glaring weaknesses the Seahawks can exploit:

Byron Bell is sadly not one of the starters that was cut or benched and is still protecting Cam's blind side at left tackle. He has to be the worst starting left tackle in the league at pass protection.

Roman Harper has been playing better the last month of the season, but he's still super spotty in coverage and I think all three losses to Seattle have come from Wilson and Doug Baldwin burning a safety in the second half.

And the biggest one of all is special teams. Football Outsiders had the Panthers special teams ranked 30th in the league this year and god-awful special teams play is what kept Arizona hanging around yesterday. When we lost Ted Ginn Jr in free agency, we didn't bother replacing him for some reason. We were left without a single player that had returned punts in the NFL or even college. Brenton Bersin has to be the worst punt returner the NFL has seen in ages. He's guaranteed a muff or near-muff at least once per game. Stupid turnovers like muffed punts are sure-fire ways to get fans loud, so he has to manage to at least literally just field the punts cleanly if the Panthers hope to win.

There you have it. I call things down the middle and I think this is a fair assessment. The Panthers have a good quarterback (who admittedly hasn't played great against Seattle), A+ running game, great tight end, and a great defense everywhere except strong safety (and Harper has played better). Weak left tackle, weak strong safety, horrendous special teams.

What does that mean on Saturday? I'm not going to pick a winner, but if you're expecting a blowout win with the caliber of players we have out there now, you're going to be very disappointed Saturday night.

So in short, you think your team is going to lose as well? I'm not trying to be rude, just seems like a lot of "fluff" in your non-committal post there...

I don't know. I just wanted to sign up here and write this. I may or may not be drinking before the worst day of the year tomorrow: the Monday after New Years.
This reply gets you all kinds of credibility points.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
CamGoesHAM":1r7szcir said:
Seattle has beaten Carolina over the past 4 years by an average of 4 points... Seattle won't get the W as easy as most of you idiots think... Carolina is hot

Were any of those games in Seattle or nah?

Thanks. I'll hang up and listen

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Just an FYI for those Panther fans who aren't intimately familiar with Pete Carroll -- I've been watching NFL football for the better part of 35 years ... and I in all my years I've never seen a coach like him. In the NFL today, I would say that there is no one better than Carroll and his staff in their ability to analyze what a team likes to do ... what their weaknesses are ... to be able to develop a game plan to absolutely break them down. I would say of all the coaches out there, perhaps he and Bill Belichick are the most dangerous in that regard. You give them a couple of weeks to analyze film and develop a game plan? Ooof! Carroll and his staff are good -- they are scary good. They are absolutely special in their ability to figure out what a player's skills are ... put them in situations to succeed ... and to be able to manipulate the other chess pieces around them to mask deficiencies.

And if Carroll and this coaching staff find themselves down at halftime, they are truly remarkable in their ability to figure out what a team is doing and to compensate for it. I've heard Carroll talk X's and O's on several occasions and I'll tell you this -- I'd hate to be on the other side trying to match wits with this guy.

The Panthers have their work cut out for them in this game, that's for sure. This Seahawks team is simply a different kind of animal at home. Century Link Field is a home field advantage like none other in the NFL. If the Hawks get going and the crowd at the CLINK gets really revved up, this team becomes a lot like a school of mad hungry piranha. I know that the Panthers have quite a lot of talent, but this is an perpetually angry Seahawks team that is on a mission right now. Despite winning the Super Bowl last year, many of the experts out there have called that a "fluke" and said there is no way Seattle can do it again. This team has really internalized that "no one gives us any respect" mentality and it fuels everything they do and who they are. Can the Seahawks lose? Sure. This is the NFL where any team can beat any other team on any given Sunday. That said, I believe that the chances are extremely high that Panther's carcass will get picked pretty sparkly clean this Saturday.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
If the Panthers face the Seahawks in Seattle in January 10 times, I honestly think the Seahawks win 10 out of 10 times. Maybe some fluky plays occur and we win 9 out of 10 times but for the most part, we outclass them in every category, and at home? It's not even fair.

I'm not saying it will be a blowout. In fact, I think it will look a lot like the Rams game from last week. Too close for comfort in the first half, and laughable in the second half.

But, the outcome, so they say, will never have been in doubt.

Vpk0718

Reaction score
I hate the "Carolina is a different team than they were in October" argument that Panther fans are using.

Guess what? So were the Seahawks. They were 3-3, in a big funk, coming off two straight embarassing losses. Since then? 9-1, with the top defense in the league.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Sam Mills Fan":g5yoovy5 said:
Laloosh":g5yoovy5 said:
Sam Mills Fan":g5yoovy5 said:

Solid, solid reply. Would read again.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Sam Mills Fan":3k5dd11h said:

Admittedly not as well versed with Carolina as I am many other teams in the league.. I recall that OL being a makeshift group of UDFA's and camp fodder in the first matchup... What changed exactly? (Not being rude, genuine curiosity)

In the first matchup we were without Wagner, Maxwell, Lane. Chancellor was playing at around 60%. We just traded Harvin and lost back to back games for the first time since 2011... So the team was kind of in a mini-crisis... but that come from behind win seemed to right the ship. So our defense will be better than it was the first time when Cam was not good, and Stewart was decent but nothing earth shattering.

Every time I have watched Cam.. He always goes one of two ways.. Either he gets comfy back there, starts smiling and dancing and strutting around signaling for first downs and all that fun stuff... Or it starts out ragged and he'll get sacked or turn the ball over and his entire demeanor goes in the sh**ter. I just think with this defense playing at an even better rate than they were last year, plus the prime time lights, plus the fact Cam has never played in Seattle ... And there is a very real possibility this defense can get in his head and that's not a good place for any QB to be. Just ask Colin Kaepernick.

I see this game following the same script the last several home games have.. A bit of a slow start on offense while the defense does its thing, forces a mistake and gets the offense in position to capitalize.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Geologic":2tfeq735 said:
I really think you guys are underestimating the Panthers. They have a tough defense that can stifle our offense. This can be a grind it out type of game.

Not for very long they can't.
Our Defense is clicking, and every bit as hot as the end of last Season.
The continuity factor is now starting to pay off big.
They won't be taking the Panthers, or anyone else for granted, but I don't see a team out there that the Seahawks can't beat.
Oh, and that "Any Sunday" thingy? that works for the Seahawks as well.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Honestly I can't think about this game without a bit of trepidation as a long-time Seahawks fan. Really I can't. But then when I look at things realistically, I can't see anything but a Seahawks ass whipping. The 2010 Seahawks beat up the World Champion New Orleans Saints, and then went to Chicago and got their ass beat. The 2014 Panthers, in a similar situation, beat up the Cradinals, who really have not looked like a playoff team since week 10. And now they come to the World Champion Seattle Seahawks. On the road. In one of the loudest stadiums on Earth. Against the number one defense in the league. It's not a bet I'd take in Vegas. Sure, any Sunday applies, but when you get down to brass tacks, which one would you take? Yeah, me too.

Sam Mills Fan

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":4hx886h2 said:
Sam Mills Fan":4hx886h2 said:

Admittedly not as well versed with Carolina as I am many other teams in the league.. I recall that OL being a makeshift group of UDFA's and camp fodder in the first matchup... What changed exactly? (Not being rude, genuine curiosity)

In the first matchup we were without Wagner, Maxwell, Lane. Chancellor was playing at around 60%. We just traded Harvin and lost back to back games for the first time since 2011... So the team was kind of in a mini-crisis... but that come from behind win seemed to right the ship. So our defense will be better than it was the first time when Cam was not good, and Stewart was decent but nothing earth shattering.

Every time I have watched Cam.. He always goes one of two ways.. Either he gets comfy back there, starts smiling and dancing and strutting around signaling for first downs and all that fun stuff... Or it starts out ragged and he'll get sacked or turn the ball over and his entire demeanor goes in the sh**ter. I just think with this defense playing at an even better rate than they were last year, plus the prime time lights, plus the fact Cam has never played in Seattle ... And there is a very real possibility this defense can get in his head and that's not a good place for any QB to be. Just ask Colin Kaepernick.

I see this game following the same script the last several home games have.. A bit of a slow start on offense while the defense does its thing, forces a mistake and gets the offense in position to capitalize.

What changed was injuries forced Rivera to play some younger guys that our GM had found. He tinkered with the lineup until we finally have good players everywhere but LT. We also got Trai Turner back, our excellent rookie guard.

I actually completely agree about Cam. He can be erratic and it's usually mental. You can tell what kind of game he's going to have early on. If he's able to run around and pick up a 12 yard rush here, a 9 yard rush there...that really loosens him up and he's probably going to have a great game. If he goes 3 and out a couple of times in the 1st quarter, that's when he starts pressing and makes mistakes.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Sam Mills Fan":olb7qbrw said:
Laloosh":olb7qbrw said:
Sam Mills Fan":olb7qbrw said:

I appreciate the objective take on your team and the focus on actual players playing the game. Fans calling each other idiots gets old after about 1 second.

I'm no expert, and our teams have played each other enough that Panthers fans should have a fairly good idea what the Seahawks do well, but I'll offer what I see as strengths and weaknesses for the Seahawks:

Defensively, one has to get very nit-picky to find fault. People can say we have faced below average or even horrible QBs lately, and that is true. But to give up 3 TDs over the past 6 games is crazy, and one of those was by the Eagles when our punter mishandled the snap and gave them the ball inside the 15. Even then, they had to go for it on 4th down to score. Say what you will about Sanchez, but that offense was clicking when we went in there and dominated it.

Lately our D-line (ranked 5th overall by Football Outsiders) is stifling the run. The 49ers did put up 140 on the ground in week 15, but no single player had more than 55 yards. With a combination of a mobile QB, a good RB, and a serviceable backup RB (all of which the Panthers have) there are some yards to be had. There was also the Chiefs game, week 11, where they ran for 190 on us. That was our first game without Brandon Mebane, our top run-stuffer, and it took us getting gashed by Jamaal Charles (159 of those yards) to figure out how to adjust. And boy, did we. Kevin Williams has moved over and played very well as our 1-tech/nose for Mebane.

Recent rushing yardage totals:

Cardinals: 64
49ers: 64 (week 13)
Eagles: 57
Cardinals: 29
Rams: 42

To succeed on the ground the Panthers will have to be patient and stick with it.

We don't get a ton of sacks (37 to the Panthers' 40), but do get significant pressure. This is an area that Cam should do much better than a Shaun Hill or Ryan Lindley. I'm not well-versed in Cam's ability to throw accurately on the run, but if he gets space and can settle for 5-6 yard runs and slide before Chancellor, Wright, or Wagner get a lick on him, there will be gaps at times for him to exploit. The tricky thing is those gaps close in a hurry. Wagner and Irvin are two of the fastest LBs in the game and Chancellor and Earl Thomas close on the ball ferociously. Kaepernick ran for only 17 and 46 against us this year. Maybe that's because the 9ers tried to force him to stay in the pocket – I don't know – but our LBs and Ss are very fast and hard-hitting. Cam can get some yards, but he'll have to keep his head on a swivel and slide sooner than normal.

Everyone knows our secondary is deep and amazing. Byron Maxwell, our right CB, has likely played his way out of Seattle. He's a FA next year and he'll command more on the market than we can afford. We hope not, but it's likely. One of his strengths is his ability to play outside, then move inside for the nickel. Taking his place outside in those situations is Tharold Simon, who essentially red-shirted last year and is a quicker, more fluid, slightly less "boom" version of Brandon Browner. We also have Lane and Burley as CBs who excel particularly against the slot.

Kam Chancellor is our enforcer in the middle. He's shut down the likes of Vernon Davis, Julius Jones, Wes Welker, etc., with devastating hits. Earl Thomas is our center fielder and the main reason we give up so few deep passes. Cam's best bet is to work the short passes into gaps in our zone and place the ball in spots that allow receivers to protect themselves or get down without taking a big shot. His best bet at a big passing play is a jump ball or back shoulder throw to Benjamin on Simon or Maxwell, but that's playing with fire and it's not a matchup one can go to often.

Toxic differential has been mentioned. The Seahawks lead the league again with 76, compared to the Panthers' 12. The big play is a scarce rarity against us.

We have been beaten by good TEs. Antonio Gates got us bad in week 2. It took some really precise placement by Rivers to happen, but there were spaces behind our LBs in that game. On the other hand, we have also shut down some exceptional TEs: "I'm Jimmy!" last year, Vernon Davis, Greg Olsen (1 for 16 yds), and Travis Kelce – who had a nice season but was the Chiefs' leading receiver against us with 3 for 37 yds. Olsen might have opportunities if he's one-on-one with an outside LB, but Cam will have to be very accurate. One of our D's specialties is limiting YAC. If Olsen gets open and Cam gets him a catchable ball, there will be someone on him within 2 steps after he catches the ball. If the throw is errant, that oncoming defender is likely to make a play on the ball.

Our offense is where the question marks lie mainly:

1) O-line. After the first 4 games or so we haven't fielded the same 5 guys from week to week. Unger, our center, may be back for this one, but he's been out for about 2 months. At one point we started our 4th center. Justin Britt, our rookie RT is okay for a 1st year guy, but he's beatable. Carpenter, our LG, is great when he's "on" and putrid when he's not. You'll see him lunging badly and sort of jogging in circles having no idea where the play went or where his assignment is.

Then again, sometimes the line seems to magically put it all together. Going into week 16 against the Cardinals we were very concerned about Russell Wilson's well-being. He ended up taking only 1 sack against the Cardinals' blitz-crazy D and our line looked legit, especially with our #3 center playing. The line gave up 3 sacks against the Rams the following week, which isn't too bad considering the talent St. Louis has in the front 7.

2) Receivers. We don't have the big red zone target or sideline jump-ball guy. Paul Richardson, a rookie, made a fantastic 32-yard sideline catch against the Rams, looking like Megatron or Dez Bryant by going up and over a smallish DB. He's 6-foot and lanky, but he's coming on alright lately, especially in clutch situations. Speaking of which, Doug Baldwin, as you know, is our 3rd down specialist. He and Wilson have exceptional chemistry when it counts the most.

After that, it's a roll of the dice. Our passing game is all about spreading the wealth and at any time someone could make a big play. We've seen TEs Luke Willson and Tony Moeaki make big plays, but not consistently. Jermaine Kearse has been quiet, recording 5 catches in a game twice, 4 catches once, 3 catches four times this season. Kevin Norwood is a sure-handed rookie, but doesn't see a lot of PT. Overall, we kind of take what we're given in the passing game. Russell is adept at exploiting a matchup when he sees it. Often, though, he's running for his life before he sees that open guy (see #1 above). Luckily for us, he is absolutely elite at extending a play and turning nothing into something.

3) Red zone. We rank 20th in the league in red zone TDs scored, at a rate of 52%. Carolina ranks 26th at 48%, so our teams are kind of on par there. (Fun Fact Sidenote: any guesses which team led the league this year? I'll put the answer at the end of this post so everyone can think about it.) We settle for FGs way too often. Our play calling and execution combine to make our offense look somewhat anemic when we get inside the 20.

Special teams is not as special as last season. I think this is where we miss Heath Farwell, Mike Robinson, and Golden Tate the most. Percy Harvin too. Our return game is non-existent. Our coverage is still pretty good. Football Outsiders has us ranked 21 (5th last year), while Carolina is 32. You weren't kidding about awful ST there.

Overall, I see another defensive struggle. The only aspect that might vary the result of this game as compared to our previous matchups is the time and venue. These Seahawks play their very best ball in prime time at the Clink. I expect something like a 17-13 finish in favor of the Hawks. But if we get rolling, and get a defensive score or a turnover in the red zone, it could go 27-10 or so.

Fun Fact Payoff:
The NFL's 2014 red zone champion: the Oakland Raiders (71% TD rate). I know, wow.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Geologic":y38qtnc6 said:
Hasselbeck":y38qtnc6 said:
Geologic":y38qtnc6 said:
Are we not forgetting about the 13-9 game against the panthers? That was away but still, I don't smell a blow out. All that said, I feel like the seahawks are going to win by 6 points.

When we were decimated by injury, still figuring out the post-Harvin offense and playing in a 10 AM game? We're a much different team now. And this game is at night at the Clink.

We will win by 2 scores.. the 40-10 stuff is a bit outlandish.. but a 20-6 type game isn't.
I could go for a 20-6 (206) Seahawks win type game :D

I could go for a 42-0 (420) Seahawks win type game. :D

jacobsod

Reaction score
MLTHawk":wb1yms6b said:
My reply to the OP is apparently hillarious over in Carolina land. http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/to ... try3179020

Wow...every time I read another team's forums I gain more respect for .net. Very little over there that has to do with the upcoming game. More about name calling our fanbase. Really? Is that the best you guys can come up with? Sheesh.

Anyway - looking forward to a good game. I expect a win, but I don't think it'll be a blowout by any means. Too many are expecting them to loose. Perfect timing for them to bite us in the arse.