Britt practicing at left guard, Gilliam at RT

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Jville":14g0grpq said:
Gosh ...... this sounds so familiar.

Justin Britt looking at a possible Robert Gallery / James Carpenter type move.

And, Gary Gilliam getting a Breno Giacominia opportunity.

I like your thinking here. I can see this move working out well for us I am not curious who is the backup RT and other positions.

LT 1.Okung 2. Bailey
LG . 1. Britt 2. Glow
C 1. Nowak 2. Jean Pierre
RG 1. Sweezy 2. Glow
RT 1. Gilliam 2. Poole

kearly

Reaction score
Fade":34rqo5as said:
Ruskell wouldn't have drafted Earl Thomas because he was an underclassmen.

Ruskell liked college Seniors at major programs, with high character (0 tolerance policy), and production. He would sacrifice size, and athleticism.

Ruskell drafted 0 underclassmen & 0 small school prospects with the Seahawks. Which of course is insane because the most talented are the underclassmen (less wear & tear too.) Small school guys are great for the middle and later rounds.

Good post. You defined it better than I did.

I do know that there were a few underclassmen he drafted. Just going off memory there's two I can think of. Cameron Morrah actually came out two years early as a RS Sophomore. And Ruskell's first pick - Chris Spencer - was a junior.

That said, you are absolutely right that upperclassman status was a strong consideration.

Fade

Reaction score
Fade":1huk78f6 said:
kearly":1huk78f6 said:

Ruskell liked college Seniors at major programs, with high character (0 tolerance policy), and production. He would sacrifice size, and athleticism.

Ruskell drafted 0 underclassmen & 0 small school prospects with the Seahawks. Which of course is insane because the most talented are the underclassmen (less wear & tear too.) Small school guys are great for the middle and later rounds.

Good post. You defined it better than I did.

I do know that there were a few underclassmen he drafted. Just going off memory there's two I can think of. Cameron Morrah actually came out two years early as a RS Sophomore. And Ruskell's first pick - Chris Spencer - was a junior.

That said, you are absolutely right that upperclassman status was a strong consideration.

I am pretty sure Chris Spencer was a college senior, Redshirt Junior. He graduated highschool in 2000, drafted in 2005.
Cameron Morrah same thing college senior, Redshirt Junior. RS '05, played '06, '07, and '08.
E.T. was a true junior. He wouldn't of been on Ruskell's board, and that is why he is a joke.

*edit* I would like to clarify I meant true juniors, RS sophomores in place of underclassmen.
The way Ruskell would word it is I'm looking for guys that have been at a major program for 4 years. He had years started requirements as well, but I don't remember them.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
northseahawk":3ku3e4vh said:
Even if they put John Ryan on the oline, I'd be happy. Can't possibly be anymore worst than what we usually see from the starting wossies.

He's been in training specially for this....

03-Tormund-Giantsbane.jpg

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
Too many people are hailing Bitonio, who not only did all playoff teams pass on in last years draft, but is not a good OT period.

Bottom line is that Terry Poole played very well Friday night and this move is about Bailey not playing as well. Poole is a better tackle than Britt, but not a better guard. Before they start to annoit Poole too early, they have decided to reward a hard-working Gilliam to that position, with a goal that Gilliam or Poole are your future left and right tackles with tremendous footspeed to get downfield, something Bitonio lacks severely.

I don't watch games and wait for the media to tell me who played well or what the team did to tell me, just watch the tape. Gilliam did OK but Poole in his limited action at RT, played better than Gilliam or Britt did at either tackle. I'm looking forward to Glowinski and Poole as making this offseason/draft the one that ultimately extends this run for another 5 years.

Line this year with Okung healthy (drum roll if thats possible) is Okung, Britt, Nowak, Sweezy and Gilliam/Poole

Line next year or later this year is Okung is not healthy for all 16 games and another 3 playoff games to Santa Clara is

Gilliam, Britt, Nowak, Sweezy/Glowinski at RG and Poole at RT

Next years for certain line is Gilliam/Poole at LT, Britt, Nowak, Glowinski and combo of Gilliam and Poole at RT.

We are looking at 7 starters coming out of this offseason, which is very high considering where we drafted.

Glowinski will be a dominate guard, Poole is at tackle, Tye Smith played very well at LCB and figures to play or start over Cary Williams next year.....add in Lockett, Frank Clark, Jimmy Graham and Nowak and you have revamped the entire weakness of the roster and did so with limited funds.

New England, Green Bay and now Seattle have figured out that you cannot invest 30M of your cap into offensive lineman, if you have to have a highly paid QB, skilled people to support your 20 to 25M a year QB, pass rushers to get after the opponents QB when you have a lead and multiple playmakers in the secondary to slow down passing games of the opponents.

Only Green Bay and Seattle have all 5 of these layers covered, unless New England has a miraculous find in their secondary. It's called cap management and it's really clear that we all saw Britt struggle at OT and survived him starting almost 20 straight starts at RT, letting a lot of pass rushers in Russell Wilson's face most of the season. Poole and Gilliam will be significant upgrades as will Glowinski at RG, once Sweezy heads to Free Agency.

Okung is the wild card here, but with tackles not in high abundance, he'll land a contract at 13M to 14M a year somewhere with 2 SB rings and 3 straight SB appearances on his resume. Seattle will replace him for another year with a player under 1M in Gilliam and Poole.

Green Bay has mastered this as has New England....it's called great management and it doesn't mean it's perfect on every draft pick, but anyone complaining about Bitonio as if he'd Joe Thomas is really silly.....if Clark, Lockett, Poole, Glowinski and ultimately robbing the Saints of Graham for a nicked up Unger isn't good management, tell me what other 2 players would you have drafted after watching Clark and Lockett on Friday night. They are huge upgrades at positions of bigger need other than the OL.

My only concern is how do we manage to shed Tharold Simon because Tye Smith is already a better player than he is and he can ultimately play Sherman's position and perhaps the slot. Simon cannot play slot and I don't know when Lane gets back or is Seysei going to heal up fast enough to allow Schnieder to shed Simon by the opener. At best Simon starts on the PUP list, but isn't going to play significant minutes any more in Seattle. If you are going to complain, at least be accurate on what's needed and it's CB, not the OL.....the trading for Burley last year and Seasei this year, clearly show that's where their fears lie.....adding Tye Smith was a brilliant pickup for the roster and he'll become another valuable starter.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
sc85sis":195y4q95 said:
hawknation2015":195y4q95 said:
FYI

[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/633353111357100032[/tweet]
This may have more to do with lack of satisfaction with Bailey than either Britt or Gilliam.

I think it's both. Britt got his arse handed to him at RT (and worse, his initial reaction seemed to be to stand straight up as if to ask himself (now how did that happen" while the play was still live!) and the play at LG has been weak enough, regardless of who's in there, that we needed to get Gilliam in the mix somewhere. And since Britt's feet seem to be nailed to the turf right now, Gilliam at RT makes more sense (you need your Tackles to move). Perhaps having the security of a Lineman on either side of him will loosen Britt back up some and he'll remember what his feet are for.

justafan

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":29aila24 said:
Too many people are hailing Bitonio, who not only did all playoff teams pass on in last years draft, but is not a good OT period.

Bottom line is that Terry Poole played very well Friday night and this move is about Bailey not playing as well. Poole is a better tackle than Britt, but not a better guard. Before they start to annoit Poole too early, they have decided to reward a hard-working Gilliam to that position, with a goal that Gilliam or Poole are your future left and right tackles with tremendous footspeed to get downfield, something Bitonio lacks severely.

I don't watch games and wait for the media to tell me who played well or what the team did to tell me, just watch the tape. Gilliam did OK but Poole in his limited action at RT, played better than Gilliam or Britt did at either tackle. I'm looking forward to Glowinski and Poole as making this offseason/draft the one that ultimately extends this run for another 5 years.

Line this year with Okung healthy (drum roll if thats possible) is Okung, Britt, Nowak, Sweezy and Gilliam/Poole

Line next year or later this year is Okung is not healthy for all 16 games and another 3 playoff games to Santa Clara is

Gilliam, Britt, Nowak, Sweezy/Glowinski at RG and Poole at RT

Next years for certain line is Gilliam/Poole at LT, Britt, Nowak, Glowinski and combo of Gilliam and Poole at RT.

We are looking at 7 starters coming out of this offseason, which is very high considering where we drafted.

Glowinski will be a dominate guard, Poole is at tackle, Tye Smith played very well at LCB and figures to play or start over Cary Williams next year.....add in Lockett, Frank Clark, Jimmy Graham and Nowak and you have revamped the entire weakness of the roster and did so with limited funds.

New England, Green Bay and now Seattle have figured out that you cannot invest 30M of your cap into offensive lineman, if you have to have a highly paid QB, skilled people to support your 20 to 25M a year QB, pass rushers to get after the opponents QB when you have a lead and multiple playmakers in the secondary to slow down passing games of the opponents.

Only Green Bay and Seattle have all 5 of these layers covered, unless New England has a miraculous find in their secondary. It's called cap management and it's really clear that we all saw Britt struggle at OT and survived him starting almost 20 straight starts at RT, letting a lot of pass rushers in Russell Wilson's face most of the season. Poole and Gilliam will be significant upgrades as will Glowinski at RG, once Sweezy heads to Free Agency.

Okung is the wild card here, but with tackles not in high abundance, he'll land a contract at 13M to 14M a year somewhere with 2 SB rings and 3 straight SB appearances on his resume. Seattle will replace him for another year with a player under 1M in Gilliam and Poole.

Green Bay has mastered this as has New England....it's called great management and it doesn't mean it's perfect on every draft pick, but anyone complaining about Bitonio as if he'd Joe Thomas is really silly.....if Clark, Lockett, Poole, Glowinski and ultimately robbing the Saints of Graham for a nicked up Unger isn't good management, tell me what other 2 players would you have drafted after watching Clark and Lockett on Friday night. They are huge upgrades at positions of bigger need other than the OL.

My only concern is how do we manage to shed Tharold Simon because Tye Smith is already a better player than he is and he can ultimately play Sherman's position and perhaps the slot. Simon cannot play slot and I don't know when Lane gets back or is Seysei going to heal up fast enough to allow Schnieder to shed Simon by the opener. At best Simon starts on the PUP list, but isn't going to play significant minutes any more in Seattle. If you are going to complain, at least be accurate on what's needed and it's CB, not the OL.....the trading for Burley last year and Seasei this year, clearly show that's where their fears lie.....adding Tye Smith was a brilliant pickup for the roster and he'll become another valuable starter.

When it comes to drafting Oline either you are ahead of the curve or behind it.This year Seattle fell behind it because earlier picks didnt work the way everyone hoped.Every team spends alot of money and draft capitol on OL because they all know how important it is.I dont think cutting corners on the oline has ever been the way to go.

English has every right to say we should have picked Bitonio.He was right then and he is right now.Bitonio could win the starting job at 3 positions imo.

You seem to put alot of faith in players nobody has any idea how they will stand up in the NFL.Maybe they will be dominant maybe they will piss it away.They will get better but there will be bumps.

Chawker

Reaction score
1. I will not attack kearly or any others in an attempt to gain board credibility.
2. I will not attack kearly or any others in an attempt to gain board credibility .
3. I will not attack kearly or any others in an attempt to gain board credibility.
4. I will not attack kearly or any others in an attempt to gain board credibility .
5. I will not attack kearly or any others in an attempt to gain board credibility.
6. I will not attack kearly or any others in an attempt to gain board credibility.
7. I will not attack kearly or any others in an attempt to gain board credibility.
8. I will not attack kearly or any others in an attempt to gain board credibility.
9. I will not attack kearly or any others in an attempt to gain board credibility.
10. I will not attack kearly or any others in an attempt to gain board credibility.
11. I will not attack kearly or any others in an attempt to gain board credibility .
12. I will not attack kearly or any others in an attempt to gain board credibility.
:sarcasm_on:

RiverDog

Reaction score
I guess you have to take Cable for his word, that the move is designed to get the best 5 OL on the field. I can't fault him for that line of thinking, and you have to worry about today and let tomorrow take care of itself.

But are we throwing in the towel on Britt as an OT? Perhaps I was being overly optimistic, but I was hoping that Britt could move over to LT, a position he played in college, after Okung leaves, which is a near certainty.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Very interested to see if they keep the same lineup for today's practice. Would love to see Gilliam get the start at RT in Friday's game but am wondering if this really was more of a flexibility move than a sign of things to come.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I suspect Garry Gilliam's popularity around here is hampered by his name, and he needs to do some serious work in the next few weeks regarding picking up a cool nickname. Just imagine how many more fans he would have if his name was Max Miller.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
kearly":3p0ibqdu said:
You can compensate for poor protection by getting the ball out fast. Unfortunately, our QB holds the ball the longest of any QB. .

With all due respect Kearly, Out to Where? Please Look back at that sack / strip play and tell me where the ball should have gone "fast" cause I don't see it. Both the running back and Graham stayed in to block (or to not block depending how you look at it.) It looks like the two receivers on the left are covered but barely into their patterns and Russell has no time to even look right.
To me this does not appear to be a case where getting the ball out faster is even possible much less a solve. This looks like a perfect storm of poor execution and poor play design against a well prepared defense.

http://den.247sports.com/Bolt/Von-Miller-sets-tone-for-Broncos-with-strip-sack-vs-Seahawks-38749644

nanomoz

Reaction score
Chawker":1q2xmmf5 said:
1. I will not attack kearly or any others in an attempt to gain board credibility.
2. I will not attack kearly or any others in an attempt to gain board credibility .
3. I will not attack kearly or any others in an attempt to gain board credibility.
4. I will not attack kearly or any others in an attempt to gain board credibility .
5. I will not attack kearly or any others in an attempt to gain board credibility.
6. I will not attack kearly or any others in an attempt to gain board credibility.
7. I will not attack kearly or any others in an attempt to gain board credibility.
8. I will not attack kearly or any others in an attempt to gain board credibility.
9. I will not attack kearly or any others in an attempt to gain board credibility.
10. I will not attack kearly or any others in an attempt to gain board credibility.
11. I will not attack kearly or any others in an attempt to gain board credibility .
12. I will not attack kearly or any others in an attempt to gain board credibility.
:sarcasm_on:

Good boy!

Attachments

• hot-teacher-1.jpg
    hot-teacher-1.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 625

purpleneer

Reaction score
Fade":711n2sgj said:
kearly":711n2sgj said:
This is how I define it:

High Character. Good college production. Very high effort. College experience and awards (captain, etc) a plus. Not scared off by lack of height or size.

Tyler Lockett would have been a Ruskell type pick. Probably Russell Wilson as well.

Obviously, Ruskell got a lot of stuff wrong and was a below average GM. He was very good in rounds 2-3 though, it was basically a sweet spot for his system. Earl was basically a super-charged version of these qualities, the ultra rare example of a Ruskell profile fitting a HoF talent.

That's pretty much the change to the definition I was going to mention. He may have had some flexibility on the early entry thing, but did have a preference for 4-year guys. He seemed to be more set in valuing big program production and the myth of the "safe" high floor pick. I always noticed, looking back, that Holmgren's best picks were the most Ruskellian (Hutch, Alexander, Jackson) and may have contributed to defining Ruskell's preferences, particularly since he was picking for Holmgren.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1tc07q7c said:
Hard to feel good about this for two reasons:

1. They haven't even hinted or attempted to move Britt to guard until after that Denver game. Other players have mixed around different positions. So that's either a review of Britt's lack of development at RT or they are really concerned about LG and are taking a look to see if Britt can answer that question.

2. It's another right tackle prospect who has ultimately struggled, despite being drafted in the top two rounds, and is now facing a change to guard.

The Britt pick was a major reach in 2014 and they took him because he was the last guy they liked for a while and they didn't have a third round pick. It seemed like a strange decision at the time and remains so. They could've had Bitonio at #32 and just taken the best remaining WR from a loaded class. It's easy to say that in hindsight but it all seemed a bit disjointed and fighting the board. Jarvis Landry -- a really gritty, competitive player with a lack of speed went one pick ahead of Britt. Martavis Bryant went in round four and Donte Moncrief in R3.
Good post man. A number of us wanted Bitonio (including yourself IIRC) and boy would I like to see him a Hawk right about now with the LG position locked down. As excellent as JS is at identifying and drafting talent in most areas of the football team, it seems o-line is the exception. Carpenter and now Britt both appear tp be reaches that haven't worked out/may not work out. If somehow Britt were to become even Sweezy at LG it wouldn't be as bad. Here's hoping that's the case and that Gilliam is Breno in waiting at the very least.

massari

Reaction score
What about bringing in FA Jake Long to tryout for RT?

Melencause

Reaction score
oasis":iw8i192f said:
Melencause":iw8i192f said:
King Dog":iw8i192f said:
How funny. I've been thinking this, but I'm a pretty unoriginal bastard so I'm sure I read it somewhere. I like it. Gilliam is an athletic freak.

Ya... 305lb athletic freak is right.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Garry_Gilliam/status/613786263762501632[/tweet]

I know it's early, but my concern is that the run-game will suffer because of this slim-bellied ninny. Though now that I think about it, Britt didn't have a flab and was a strong run-blocker. I take back my remark. Please delete this. :2:

Muscle is more dense then fat so at 308 lbs... thats more useful weight than a 308 lb fatty. 308lbs with prob like what 6-8% body fat is just nasty. No wasted space basically.

Latest posts