Britt practicing at left guard, Gilliam at RT

kf3339

Reaction score
This could end up being a smart move by Cable and PC if it holds up. To me the very worst performances in the last game were by Bailey at LG and Britt at RT. So if moving Britt in to LG and giving Gilliam a shot at RT helps to improve those weak spots then great job. If it even improves just one spot it is still a smart move.

I just hope we start to solidify the line in the next week or two as to the starters and let them work together as a starting group.

hawk45

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":3rkt9hjx said:
TheRealDTM":3rkt9hjx said:
I think it means our line is in panic mode.

Might not be a bad thing after that last outing???

This actually encourages me quite a bit. That they view that performance as more than just teething troubles, but rather OMFG these guys suck, we have to do something right now.

Our inability to draft or shape an RT who can stick really makes me not look forward to when they need to replace Okung. Apparently all we can manage is a decent guard or two, the most fungible position in the league.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
At this point I don't care what they do at RT as long as it's a real improvement .There was another RT they could have taken in the second that I liked better forgot his name but Britt is who we have now so it doesn't matter .

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Panic Mode? You guys saying that junk are crazy. Do you remember last year who our starting RT was supposed to be?

There have been other examples of college TE's turned tackles....Jason Peters for example comes to mind. I have high hopes for Gilliam and this switch.

kearly

Reaction score
You can compensate for poor protection by getting the ball out fast. Unfortunately, our QB holds the ball the longest of any QB. I miss Richardson, it seemed like Wilson held the ball a lot less when Richardson was ballin'.

As far as Gilliam, he looks the part physically and that's about it. And though playing guard will help Britt, I don't love putting a pass pro liability like him on the blind side. Seattle needs to stop drafting total projects at OL. Average or better non-projects can be found in Seattle's drafting range.

With regards to Bitonio, we all thought he was worth drafting at #32 and I was actually a little surprised that Seattle passed on such good value. But remember that even Bitonio had to move to guard in the NFL due to some limitations in protection. (Of course, Bitonio at LG sounds pretty damn good right now).

The non-pick that stings for me is David Bahktiari in 2013, a guy who arguably fit the Cable mold AND had great college tape. He went in the 4th round and has been a steal for GB (their starting LT on a good line).

Hawks46

Reaction score
ivotuk":2w8tltrx said:
Fudwamper":2w8tltrx said:
To me it means nothing, rotating o-line so everyone knows what everyone is doing. Gilliam is getting reps most likely because he would be the first sub for brit.

This is a good point.

In Britt's defense, he was beaten by one of the premier pass rushers in the league.

So like Fudwamper said, it could mean nothing.

EDIT: Von Miller in the seasons he's started 15/16/16 games is 11.5, 18.5 and 14 sacks.

Yea, I'd agree. LG looked terrible, and who exactly is backing up Britt ? Can't go with Bailey, as he's in competition at LG and backs up Okung. And we know Okung has his issues with staying on the field.

Miller abuses a lot of guys, and looking at Britt's backups....they were much worse than he was. So if Britt does get hurt, our backups look twice as bad as he does. That should scare a lot of people.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":w70ckw20 said:
With regards to Bitonio, we all thought he was worth drafting at #32 and I was actually a little surprised that Seattle passed on such good value. But remember that even Bitonio had to move to guard in the NFL due to some limitations in protection. (Of course, Bitonio at LG sounds pretty damn good right now).

Wow, that is some scary revisionism. You said Bitonio struggled with drive blocks and was not worth a First Rounder. In fact, you called his draft selection in the Second Round "Ruskellian," claiming it "reeked" of a choice Tim Ruskell would make. :34853_doh:

The last thing I want is to continue butting heads with you, but someone needs to keep you honest.

kearly":w70ckw20 said:
The non-pick that stings for me is David Bahktiari in 2013, a guy who arguably fit the Cable mold AND had great college tape. He went in the 4th round and has been a steal for GB (their starting LT on a good line).

FYI, Bahktiari looked pretty bad last week. He appears to be the one weak spot on that Green Bay offensive line, which is something I hope we can exploit with Clark, Avril, Bennett, Irvin, etc.

HawkEye

Reaction score
To be honest, I am nervous about playing Britt at LG, but I think having Graham as a short range option will help Wilson to get rid of the ball a lot faster.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawks46":2k8abewe said:
ivotuk":2k8abewe said:
Fudwamper":2k8abewe said:
To me it means nothing, rotating o-line so everyone knows what everyone is doing. Gilliam is getting reps most likely because he would be the first sub for brit.

This is a good point.

In Britt's defense, he was beaten by one of the premier pass rushers in the league.

So like Fudwamper said, it could mean nothing.

EDIT: Von Miller in the seasons he's started 15/16/16 games is 11.5, 18.5 and 14 sacks.

Yea, I'd agree. LG looked terrible, and who exactly is backing up Britt ? Can't go with Bailey, as he's in competition at LG and backs up Okung. And we know Okung has his issues with staying on the field.

Miller abuses a lot of guys, and looking at Britt's backups....they were much worse than he was. So if Britt does get hurt, our backups look twice as bad as he does. That should scare a lot of people.

Not to defend Britt, but Miller is playing for a new contract. He's gonna abuse people if he stays healthy.

cdallan

Reaction score
Anybody want to help me set up a Kickstarter to fund a documentary by Evan Mathis on gameday at the C-link? Should take him about 6 months, so I think he'll need a budget of $7m or so. If he's going to be in the stadium anyway, he might as well take the league minimum and play the season for us.

Tical21

Reaction score
I think what this means more than anything is we have a lot of bad options all over the place. Bailey's disappointing performance fits into this as well. I actually think Sweezy is a little overrated too because of some assignment issues in the passing game. And we're thinking we're going to get rid of Okung after this season? I don't know that we can afford to do that. A little disappointing that none of the rookies seemingly stepped up on Friday, although I'd have to watch the tape to commit to that statement.

Jville

Reaction score
sam1313":19h41bby said:
Jville":19h41bby said:
Gosh ...... this sounds so familiar.

Justin Britt looking at a possible Robert Gallery / James Carpenter type move.

And, Gary Gilliam getting a Breno Giacominia opportunity.

Except that GG is 3 times the athlete that Breno was or ever will be. I am really excited by this move, and see it as getting us a better RT, better LG, and beginning to get GG the experience to play LT (which I think he may be taking over next year). :thirishdrinkers:

I'm excited for Gary Gilliam. What a great story that continues to unfold. It just keeps getting better and better.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Britt and Okung both struggle to move laterally with the quickness to defend a guy like Vaughn Miller. On that fumble play though it looked as if we were in max protect. Miller not only got around Britt but the back also didn't pick him up. I think we only had three receivers out in the pattern and when Okung got beat on his end as well Russell didn't have time to look at the right side of the field. The receivers on the left never got into their routes. You guys keep saying that Russell held the ball too long but he took that hit right at 3 seconds and never had a chance to set his feat. I watched the play several times in slow and real time and I don't see a quick check down available on the play. Baldwin may have a half step on the corner on the right side but you can't see the safety in the shot and Russell never has time to look that way.

I am happy that we have Graham and I don't think giving up an often injured Unger would have been a bad thing had the office planned better to replace him. Sokolie may be the future but he is a project at this stage. It will certainly help if Gilliam can hold his own at tackle though. He appears to be quicker than Britt.

Melencause

Reaction score
King Dog":2rblfvtm said:
How funny. I've been thinking this, but I'm a pretty unoriginal bastard so I'm sure I read it somewhere. I like it. Gilliam is an athletic freak.

Ya... 305lb athletic freak is right.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Garry_Gilliam/status/613786263762501632[/tweet]

RiverDog

Reaction score
Tical21":pc00ef6m said:
I think what this means more than anything is we have a lot of bad options all over the place. Bailey's disappointing performance fits into this as well. I actually think Sweezy is a little overrated too because of some assignment issues in the passing game. And we're thinking we're going to get rid of Okung after this season? I don't know that we can afford to do that. A little disappointing that none of the rookies seemingly stepped up on Friday, although I'd have to watch the tape to commit to that statement.

We're not "getting rid" of Okung. Even if we wanted him, he's more than likely going to be too expensive for us.

Which is one of the reasons why I'm concerned about the possibility of Britt moving to LG. It was hoped that Britt would develop enough at RT to be able to replace Okung at LT. Moving him to LG fixes a lessor problem and makes worse a bigger one.

Fade

Reaction score
The 2016 NFL Draft.

-For the 1st time in NFL history a team had 10 draft picks, and selected an offensive lineman with every pick.

-In 4 years all of them busted and are out of the league.

-Tom Cable is still hailed as a genius who hasn't been given enough resources to build an offensive line.

-Russell Wilson still revered as the greatest QB in Seahawks history, was forced into early retirement and attends all Seahawks games in a wheel chair.

-With Marshawn Lynch & Russell Wilson retired, the Seahawks immediately become one of the worst rushing teams in football, but it is not Cable's fault.

:pukeface:

It was all a bad dream..........

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
So far Britt's been pretty good value for the Seahawks. Started all 16 games, plus playoffs and super bowl, last year. Looks to be a starter this year. He hasn't come in and locked down the tackle position like we all wish he would, but neither has Greg Robinson for the Rams, last years #2 overall pick. It just goes to show it is hard to pick and develop offensive linemen. Britt's going into his second year and still has a lot of room to grow. We'll see if this transition sticks.

Latest posts