Britt practicing at left guard, Gilliam at RT

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Britt could be a really good guard .. Gilliam was at point considered as a possible replacement for Okung too so this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

But yeah.. the way English broke down that draft.. kind of wish we went Bitonio and best WR available in Round 2.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I bet under other circumstances they might've been more comfortable with letting Britt try to develop solely at RT. But I think they saw what everyone else did last Friday and ultimately had to swallow their pride on the former 2nd round pick. Who knows if it's a permanent solution, but a shakeup needed to happen. If this ends up working, you solve two of the biggest issues you have going into the season (LG and RT play). If it doesn't, we're in a pretty bad place and basically left daydreaming about what Bitonio would've looked like in Seahawks blue.

titan3131

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3c4f92uw said:
Britt could be a really good guard .. Gilliam was at point considered as a possible replacement for Okung too so this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

But yeah.. the way English broke down that draft.. kind of wish we went Bitonio and best WR available in Round 2.

Dont remind me, I wanted Bitonio and martavius bryant so bad.

I think we start the season with this lineup.

okung ----- britt----Mystery center----sweezy----Gilliam

backups

Bailey-----Glowinkski--Lem---------glow/skolji---poole

Alexander

Reaction score
Britt has struggled in pass pro at RT, but I think at least part of the reason for the switch is their dissatisfaction with the competition at LG. My impression even before the first preseason game was that they weren't too happy with the way the position was coming along. Britt projects well to guard and had experience playing on the left side in college, so this could solve that position. And given Britt's struggles at RT, Gilliam might not be a huge drop-off there.

Rob12

Reaction score
Honestly wish people would stop bringing up Bitonio. Of course he'd look great in a Seahawks uniform, but playing revisionist history with past drafts is one of the quickest ways to get in a bad mood.

We all wish Bitonio was the pick over Britt. Just have to find a way to make Britt a productive player on this line. If that means moving him, so be it.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/633353111357100032[/tweet]

DavidSeven

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3d5vi922 said:
FYI

I'm not discounting this, but it sounds like P.R. coach-speak. If Britt was clearly better than Gilliam at RT (as we would hope), it wouldn't really matter if we couldn't get Gilliam in the starting five.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
DavidSeven":4z3h1i2g said:
hawknation2015":4z3h1i2g said:
FYI

I'm not discounting this, but it sounds like P.R. coach-speak. If Britt was clearly better than Gilliam at RT (as we would hope), it wouldn't really matter if we couldn't get Gilliam in the starting five.

I think it's all about promoting competition and motivating both players to step up their game.

But I do agree guard is Britt's best position. The sky is the limit for him there.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I like the move. Skeptical it stays but if it does I have no problems with it. Last year if you were critical of Britt you got hammered on the forum but he really was terrible in pass pro. Gotta protect your investment.

sutz

Reaction score
I don't think we're in panic mode yet, but this does signify that the O-line is still in flux, and this week's game may be as bad as last week's, though I suspect that the Chefs won't be quite as agressive as the Broncs were in pass rush.

sam1313

Reaction score
Jville":bcthh2cv said:
Gosh ...... this sounds so familiar.

Justin Britt looking at a possible Robert Gallery / James Carpenter type move.

And, Gary Gilliam getting a Breno Giacominia opportunity.

Except that GG is 3 times the athlete that Breno was or ever will be. I am really excited by this move, and see it as getting us a better RT, better LG, and beginning to get GG the experience to play LT (which I think he may be taking over next year). :thirishdrinkers:

hawknation2015

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/633360078901374981[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/633359928170692608[/tweet]

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I don't remember Gilliam playing particularly well against the Broncos, but Cable would know better.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Pete's having a press conference now and said that they are doing this to have future flexibility. Tells me to expect Britt to continue to be our RT and Gilliam to continue to be ready as a backup at the Tackle position.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/633354184713072640[/tweet]

King Dog

Reaction score
How funny. I've been thinking this, but I'm a pretty unoriginal bastard so I'm sure I read it somewhere. I like it. Gilliam is an athletic freak.