Browner 1 year suspension is for substance abuse per NFL

4XPIPS

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2n5dzro3 said:
Browner is an idiot. I sure hope he saved his money because I'm guessing his career is over.

He has post career.. Brandon's Brownies..

with the good stuff in them ;)

scutterhawk

Reaction score
-The Glove-":3c0lrlfg said:
Rocket":3c0lrlfg said:
Add in the psychological feeling of invincibility that's spoon-fed to athletes by the coaching staff...

plus the possibility of legal confusion for the WA and CO football planers.

I'm sorry but that last line is BS. These guys know its banned in the NFL, just like I know my employer will can my ass if I smoke weed.
Aw C'mon guys, let's give them 10 more chances to get their shit together :34853_doh:

chawx

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3pt9trp4 said:
-The Glove-":3pt9trp4 said:
Rocket":3pt9trp4 said:
Add in the psychological feeling of invincibility that's spoon-fed to athletes by the coaching staff...

I'm sorry but that last line is BS. These guys know its banned in the NFL, just like I know my employer will can my ass if I smoke weed.
Aw C'mon guys, let's give them 10 more chances to get their shit together :34853_doh:

If we're going down to sarcasm town...how about instead of giving them "10 more chances," we just make it so smoking weed in your free time isn't a crime...?

:327321_Spy_23.22:

morgulon1

Reaction score
chawx":173rzjcr said:
I'm with you, plyka.

This is horse**** really. That's a huge penalty for a relatively minor crime in the grand scheme of life... and I really feel for Browner and his family.

He made a mistake, he knew he was making a mistake, and there is no denying it, but...just, it's sad. Really sad.

I have to say that Browner was one of my favorites. The highlight (pun not intended) against Arizona when he drilled 4 guys on one play, when he dislocated Wes Welkers sternum, MNF when he humiliated Greg Jennings. He wasn't talked about as much as Sherman but I have to believe when opposing teams thought about playing Seattle, number 39 came to mind immediately.

Yes he screwed up. He is going to pay the hefty price as TechWorlds states, but I cant completely dismiss what he brought to our team. I'm really sad that he wont be with us anymore.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":wtejnzcb said:
Cutting Thurmond would be a rash and emotional decision. People would sure second-guess that decision if the team were to play Manning/Welker for the Lombardi. Would cutting Irvin have "sent the message"? Would we be better off now? Browner/Thurmond just cost themselves a ton in both money and reputation. If that's not enough motivation, then these "messages" won't matter. How often do any of us even think about Portis getting cut for a DUI earlier this year?
Essentially, what you are saying, is that Thurmond isn't much, or hardly any drop off from Browner, so we don't want to cut our noses off to spite our faces by cutting him, even though Thurmond had already been given a warning, to which he apparently dismissed, or ignored.
The message wouldn't be to Browner nor Thurmond, as they've already proven that warnings don't mean squat to them.
The warnings WOULD go out to the other players who thinks that the rules are meant to be broken.
What these guys do in the off Season should be good enough to satisfy their yen for using.
Undoubtedly there are players who know when it's time to cut it off, and obviously, there are some that just have to push their luck.
What's sad, is that there are UNDOUBTEDLY a lot more players, all over the League that are getting away with using shit.

Seeker

Reaction score
Let Maxwell give up ONE TOUCHDOWN and watch you guys fall off your high horses so fast lol

scutterhawk

Reaction score
chawx":wyp1ikya said:
scutterhawk":wyp1ikya said:
-The Glove-":wyp1ikya said:
Rocket":wyp1ikya said:

If we're going down to sarcasm town...how about instead of giving them "10 more chances," we just make it so smoking weed in your free time isn't a crime...?

:327321_Spy_23.22:
That's the point.
What these guys do in the off Season is their business, and I doubt that the NFL rules apply to these guys AT THOSE TIMES.
I like the living shit out of Browner, so I'm not being one damned bit sarcastic about him, but there has to be a frikkin' limit to how much he thinks he can get away with doing, without having to pay the consequences for being irresponsible, eh?

Crabhawk

Reaction score
chawx":9b1jpkwk said:
I'm with you, plyka.

This is horse**** really. That's a huge penalty for a relatively minor crime in the grand scheme of life... and I really feel for Browner and his family.

He made a mistake, he knew he was making a mistake, and there is no denying it, but...just, it's sad. Really sad.
I feel bad for Browner's family, but not for him. In his own personal economy, this was a risk worth taking and it went really pear shaped on him. Both he and Thurmond are facing suspensions because it's not the first time they were caught, and in Browner's case, it apparently isn't the second time he was caught. That's Consequences for Your Actions 101. Also, as far as I know the weed angle is still speculation. It could have been Krokodil or Molly or quaaludes. The "fairness" factor of the suspension really has little to do with the substance he took.

I liked Browner and have missed his game, but as others have pointed out in a few other threads, the loss isn't actually as significant as Thurmond because Browner was already out with a pretty nasty groin injury and wasn't guaranteed to return from it this year. He's just out longer term now and the team gets to use his roster spot. :shrug:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seeker":3dimrv3v said:
Let Maxwell give up ONE TOUCHDOWN and watch you guys fall off your high horses so fast lol
Screw the high horse crap.
I didn't fall off any "High Horse" when Sherman got burned for TD's, because I know that shit just happens.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
A lot of these guys live in the moment and don't understand that playing in the NFL is a privilege and will only last for so long. They take it all for granted until something crazy like this happens, but that pretty much happens in life too. Gotta always do things to the fullest.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Don't know why these dudes don't just use Marinol (pot in a pill). Unless I've been misinformed, Marinol shows up as an "extra protein" in blood work, not as cannabis. Same buzz, though minus the initial rush. This I know.

Definitely need to cut Browner before he ends up wearing a Superbowl ring that he does not deserve. Thurmond? Un sure of the leagues / unions stance on this, but on top of his 4 gamer, the team should slap him with a (non-paid) 1 game suspension as well. That's 5 checks he'd miss, yet still be available for the playoffs. His performance there would dictate whether or not we consider re-signing him to a (team friendly) new contract. Surely his agent knows the Hawks hold the cards in his case and a slip here or there from JS' tongue and a generous portion of teams will be running away from him. It's just good business.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
plyka":103i4s3z said:
BamKam":103i4s3z said:
5280Hawk":103i4s3z said:
I dont think we see the guy in the NFL again. Unless some team at this time next year has two injured Corners, and BB is not back in the CFL already.

certainly not in a Hawks uniform. I feel bad for all the guys wearing new Nike Browner Jerseys.

Disagree.

I think we will see him in the NFL again, just not on the Seahawks and more than likely as a backup on a team with a thin secondary.

I think everyone is underrating Browner. And overreacting on the punishment this guy deserves. Does he deserve to have his livelyhood taken away from him for smoking some weed? A 1 year suspension? That's quite ridiculous in my opinion. Everyone makes mistakes. For a guy to be suspended for an entire year when a guy gets a DUI and plays the next week is ridiculous in my opinion (Dwayne Bowe just got a DUI the other day). With a DUI you're puting other people at risk of injury or death, with substance abuse you're abusing your own body.

I don't think anyone cares that he was smoking weed. Most of us are just dumbfounded at how stupid he was and how badly he screwed over his team mates and the men that gave him an opportunity to play in the NFL.

He was told in no uncertain terms he would undergo tests for substance use, and being caught would result in suspensions. So he used something against the rules. That's a pretty impressive level of idiocy and selfishness.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1sdjztwq said:
Bigpumpkin":1sdjztwq said:
I fail to understand the mentality of these players. They are taking "pee tests" every week or two, how do they figure that they can fool anybody? They have to be a lot stupider than they look! I'm disgusted!

This makes me think that weed use is a lot more rampant in the NFL, and players like Thurm and BB use masking agents to beat these tests. It's the only logical conclusion other than "derrr, sorry I just like weed too much to care about the consequences."

So the conclusion is we have more than our fair share of stoners and PED abusers than other teams, or our players are stupider than other team's players and can't figure out how to mask properly.
That is the point it is rampant in the NFL and far worse in the NBA. They should do exactly like the NBA and stop testing for it. It's no worse than alcohol and I'd argue it's far better to boot.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
BillHawks":3jj42q7k said:
Seahawk Sailor":3jj42q7k said:

Huh, I had actually considered something like that but it seemed too far fetched to be real. I guess it's a really uncommon thing but it seems like the NFLPA would be all over this.

It was agreed to in the CBA, why would the NFLPA be all over it? Its a seemingly unfair practice, but one the Browner willingly signed up for.

Cartire

Reaction score

BillHawks

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":1frzw9js said:
BillHawks":1frzw9js said:
Seahawk Sailor":1frzw9js said:

Huh, I had actually considered something like that but it seemed too far fetched to be real. I guess it's a really uncommon thing but it seems like the NFLPA would be all over this.

It was agreed to in the CBA, why would the NFLPA be all over it? Its a seemingly unfair practice, but one the Browner willingly signed up for.

That's what I'm saying, it's rare enough that they probably conceeded the point when they agreed to the CBA. I've certainly never heard of this happening.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Cartire":1mchzuak said:
Seahawk Sailor":1mchzuak said:

Posted in another thread before the classic Radish lock,

Like I have said before, I dont understand how he got to stage three since he never was suspended the required 4 games after stage two. (Btw, PED and substance abuse are different policies that do not overlap.)

This was my question yesterday.

It seems like the failure to comply with protocol (while he was in the CFL) just automatically pushes someone into phase three. He didn't fail a test, he failed to take a test. I am guessing that situation is handled differently.