Browner reinstated (Updates!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Question is how much is it worth to the FO to not resign him? Do they want to have to face him on say the Niners or Cards next season?

Kamcussion

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":3bltbtgi said:
Question is how much is it worth to the FO to not resign him? Do they want to have to face him on say the Niners or Cards next season?

Technicially Browner is a SS playing CB and we could afford that liability in coverage because Thomas was always protecting the deep routes.. Unless Thomas goes with him, i dont think this FO fears playing against him.

Hawks46

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":d6nk8sq2 said:
Hawks46":d6nk8sq2 said:
I've always liked Browner and he got totally screwed by the league out of a ring and signifigant money. So, when he hits FA, I'm hoping he gets a fairly lucrative deal.
Fwiw, Browner got his SB check... and he will get his ring. Stay tuned.

Well that's good to hear at least. Missing the SB is part his responsibility; if he had not tested positive, none of this would've happened.

I'm not sure he's back here though. I like him and with him in our secondary we are much more intimidating than with Maxwell, although I think Maxwell is a better cover corner with more fluid hips. I honestly don't know if he'd come back here as a backup.

I also think that if he has lost a step, he'd be a damned good strong safety. He's physical enough and stout enough to take a beating.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Brian McIntyre ‏@brian_mcintyre 27s
If Brandon Browner complies with Substance Abuse Policy, he'll be reinstated after serving 4-game suspension to begin 2014, per NFL & NFLPA

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time seeing how Maxwell is a downgrade. He had a brilliant December/January.

Browner, on the other hand, is scheme-specific and can't seem to put away the weed. Suspension aside, I don't really see a huge market for him anyway. His best advantage is that he's a fan favorite in Seattle, and that will carry no weight with Pete and John.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":vazzvkx6 said:
His best advantage is that he's a fan favorite in Seattle, and that will carry no weight with Pete and John.
Not even sure how much of a fan favorite he is anymore, all things considered. Guys that can't put down recreational drugs for millions of dollars wear out my patience rather quickly, personally speaking.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Wondering why Browner is still getting suspended 4 games when he's already missed games at the end of this past season. Shouldn't those have counted towards the suspension?

Jeremy517

Reaction score
Maxwell and Sherman are both FAs next offseason, and Thurmond is a FA this offseason. Given that, it wouldn't surprise me if the front office is willing to bring Browner back for a relatively cheap deal. Browner will be 30 and coming off two injuries and a suspension, so getting him for a cheap deal is a fairly realistic scenario. I don't think Browner is going to be able to find a team that will give the big deal that he once hoped for.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Wow that's tough, 4 game suspension and then an additional 4 games with out pay. So that's 13-15 games counting last years games without pay (depending on if he was also getting paid for the SF&NOLA playoff games).

General Manager

Reaction score
Sign him, we know what he can due and they can save some money that they could use in signing Sherman.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":3ka6glxa said:
Wow that's tough, 4 game suspension and then an additional 4 games with out pay. So that's 13-15 games counting last years games without pay (depending on if he was also getting paid for the SF&NOLA playoff games).

Browner got the money for the NFC title game and the Super Bowl. He didn't lose his appeal until Dec 18, so I think he was only without pay for two games last year.

Fuddhawk

Reaction score
Browner will sigh else where unfortunately. With Maxwell and Sherman slated to become FAs next year, we just can afford all 3. I think Maxwell is Sherm 2.0 Late round pick but dude can flat out play.

Fuddhawk

Reaction score
would be nice though in BB honor is someone posted his highlight film.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Well it looks like the NFL website finally caught up with reality and posted an article about this. Took them long enough

[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000330835/article/brandon-browner-conditionally-reinstated-by-nfl[/urltargetblank]

lsheldon

Reaction score
NFL just cant give BB a break...

Whatever team signs Browner won't have to pay him during the first four weeks, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a league source. That team will have pay him for the next four weeks, but that money will be turned over to the league.

Would behoove his agent to make sure his upcoming contract (whoever it is with) includes a higher percentage in signing bonus money so the league gets less.

gargantual

Reaction score
sc85sis":13k9qidu said:
Wondering why Browner is still getting suspended 4 games when he's already missed games at the end of this past season. Shouldn't those have counted towards the suspension?
This was my thought as well. Shouldn't those four games count as time served? My understanding was it went from a four game suspension up to a year suspension (at the next level).

Doesn't that bring it up to being out for eight plus games? I don't remember the exact amount of games he was out, but it was at LEAST four games. I remember some one posting that being out injured still counted as suspended games...

drdiags

Reaction score
If you believe the anonymous quotes from players around the league and from reading the Sam Hurd SI piece, be prepared to not want to deal with up to 85% of the players that are claimed to use recreational drugs. At that point just put robots out there with the uniforms and call it good.

Anyway, seems like the NFL got their pound of flesh. Counting the 8 games without pay he basically will have to complete next season and the 5 weeks some claim he lost last season (who knows besides him, the club and his agent?). There is your 1 yr suspension. He gains FA freedom and the ability to practice with his new squad, helping him make the club. He doesn't have to apply for re-instatement, other than that the NFL does not appear to have caved on the threat of the lawsuit some were claiming yesterday (ESPN's Terry Blount and others).

Jeremy517

Reaction score
gargantual":16s00d9e said:
sc85sis":16s00d9e said:
This was my thought as well. Shouldn't those four games count as time served? My understanding was it went from a four game suspension up to a year suspension (at the next level).

Doesn't that bring it up to being out for eight plus games? I don't remember the exact amount of games he was out, but it was at LEAST four games. I remember some one posting that being out injured still counted as suspended games...

He appealed, so none of the games before his appeal came back counted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts