Bucs sign OG J.R Sweezy

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Sweezy was a great physical specimen who was mentally tapped out. He lacked focus at times and was inconsistent in his technique, often taking poor angles or lunging at defenders. But good for him for taking the coaching and going from 7th Round DT to a guard worth $7.2 million APY.

pehawk

Reaction score
Tom and Pete's running game is feast or famine, somewhat by design. It can make things look really good or really, really bad. Add in a QB who both holds the ball, and goes long, and you have a no good way to measure Hawks OL.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
ivotuk":zourri98 said:
You glossed over the points I was trying to make so that you could repeat your schtick from previous posts. Here's the info:

Seattle Seahawks RB Marshawn Lynch is averaging 1.6 yards before contact, which ranks 47th of 50 running backs, according to ESPN Stats and Information.

http://fantasy.usatoday.com/news/marsha ... tact-early

Yea, that's GREAT run blocking.

What struck me about our run blocking last year is just how drastically improved it was for a stretch of games. The games in which Rawls was subbing in for Lynch. Now, most fans think that had to do with Rawls "hitting holes fast" and it really didn't the vast majority of the time. Rawls often had 4-5 foot wide running lanes on his bigger runs.

Rawls has been injured 2 out of the last 2 years he's played football and a decent percentage of his yardage was a bit of a red herring. I'll be curious to see just how much of a red herring it really was and if he can stay healthy. I think there are a lot of folks who see what they want to in regards to what happened at the RB position. He's a good back for sure, but that yards before contact stat is a big one.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Basis4day":27o5ku8q said:
ivotuk":27o5ku8q said:
Basis4day":27o5ku8q said:
Jville":27o5ku8q said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ScottEnyeart/status/707707362325319680[/tweet]

Ain't that the truth. It is weird how so many fans hate on offensive linemen.

It's because they only focus on failures in Pass protection and ignore success in Run blocking.

Really? The run blocking that had Marshawn Lynch with the least yards before contact in the NFL? Rushers in the backfield as he's being handed the ball...

Then the crazy penalties, leaping on a pile after the play is over. Blowing a blocking assignment and getting our QB killed.

Not happy with our Oline, and haven't been, Cable takes responsibility for that.

Go look how many unnecessary roughness penalties Sweezy actually accumulated. The narrative doesn't match the stats. And you brought up pass protection again. Sweezy is a damn good run blocker. Check the film.

Look up Enyeart's background as a coach. He knows what he's talking about.

Sweezy had three 15-yard unnecessary roughness penalties last season and TEN total penalties. That's a lot. But it's only indicator on his lack of focus and discipline and doesn't tell the whole story. There were many more occasions where he simply did not apply his technique. He was supposed to be the OL's leader but he did not appear to take the initiative to correct the mistakes of fellow players.

But, again, I'm happy for him that he is being so well compensated in free agency.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
The initial reports were wrong. Sweezy is only getting $6.5 million APY.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/707734523598000130[/tweet]

AgentDib

Reaction score
Good for JR. He put in plenty of effort for this team and will now be set for life if he's prudent.

Good for the Hawks too. We drafted a guy in the 7th, got four years of extremely cheap production out of him, and are now getting a 5th/6th comp pick. There's no reasonable world where that isn't a success.

McGruff

Reaction score
hawknation2016":1itc7rm0 said:
The initial reports were wrong. Sweezy is only getting $6.5 million APY.

Still a pretty ride contract for a middling guard.

pehawk

Reaction score
Another deficit in the "bully" column which Schneider as a need in the offseason.

Jville

Reaction score

Congratulation JR Sweezy. And congratulations Tom Cable. It validates conversion projects as part of the mix.

Carry on!

hawknation2016

Reaction score
pehawk":1xw8mecf said:
Another deficit in the "bully" column which Schneider as a need in the offseason.

The hope is that Glowinski can fill that role at RG. He showed a little of that bully attitude in his one game of action last season.

I think I'm a little more eager to see what they do to upgrade the left guard and center positions, as well as what happens at OT.

This is going to have to be a great draft for the offensive line.

mrt144

Reaction score
Jville":s4i14u2g said:

Congratulation JR Sweezy. And congratulations Tom Cable. It validates conversion projects as part of the mix.

Carry on!

I guess if we never want to sign a 2nd contract to OL yes, it validates it.

Fade

Reaction score
pehawk":ynfa3zxl said:
Tom and Pete's running game is feast or famine, somewhat by design. It can make things look really good or really, really bad. Add in a QB who both holds the ball, and goes long, and you have a no good way to measure Hawks OL.

That is completely false. I watched a clinic video with Alex Gibbs when he was with ATL. (Tom Cable was with ATL too at the time.) And the #1 rule of the system is to never take a loss, at least always get positive yards.

I can see how you drew that conclusion though, because of how inconsistent the O-Line has been.

Every Seahawk fan should watch it. If you want to understand the Seahawks running game.
http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/8/2/3215058/alex-gibbs-teaches-the-zone-blocking-scheme

mrt144

Reaction score
Fade":1kr7htir said:
pehawk":1kr7htir said:

That is completely false. I watched a clinic video with Alex Gibbs when he was with ATL. (Tom Cable was with ATL too at the time.) And the #1 rule of the system is to never take a loss, at least always get positive yards.

I can see how you drew that conclusion though, because of how inconsistent the O-Line has been.

Every Seahawk fan should watch it. If you want to understand the Seahawks running game.
http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/8/2/3215058/alex-gibbs-teaches-the-zone-blocking-scheme

I've been watching too many gifs of "sweezy whiffs" and trying to hand select the best ones to post in the thread but I'll check it out.

Fade

Reaction score
mrt144":h8q7soh9 said:
I've been watching too many gifs of "sweezy whiffs" and trying to hand select the best ones to post in the thread but I'll check it out.

:th2thumbs: Can't Wait for the .gifs.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
mrt144":1ni8f4ah said:
Recon_Hawk":1ni8f4ah said:
mrt144":1ni8f4ah said:
Recon_Hawk":1ni8f4ah said:
This really sucks. Sweezy is one of the toughest SOBs in the league. The few technique errors he made a game were greatly outweighed by the many positives he brought to his game. The offense became a bit softer today.

Maybe for the salary he was making, you could feebly argue this was the case.

Sweezy was a stud. He did a lot of small things that most fans don't value/see as much as they will judge a single bad block. His league interest speaks tells the tale.

He was not a stud. He was singularly interesting as an athlete project who could get into the 2nd level if everything went right . The rest of the nfl has a bunch of awful teams with money to spend on preswing needs, TB included.

A stud who is objectively bad at pass blockng, nah.

Well best run blocker on the team thats been near the top of the league in stats the last four years. tough as nails. Defenders hate him. subjectivly, he wasn't so bad at pass blocking either. He missed blocks. the whole online did. They got their shit together mid season and everybody look good. Thats the JR Sweezy that shines. TB underpaid IMO.

With no cap space to work with they can't sign everyone. Might be they go over a cheaper by the day Russell Okung instead of Sweezy who does have a capable of backup.

pehawk

Reaction score
Fade":1mmqadl3 said:
pehawk":1mmqadl3 said:

Yes, I watched those too...back in 2006 on DVD. Chop blocks as a consistent technique leads to allt of linemen on the ground. That leads to alot of good and bad things.

Also, if we wanted an marked improvement you could always instill a Holmgren offense. That'd makes things alot better...but the pass game is also loss or big gain.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":ksvlbzog said:
Well best run blocker on the team thats been near the top of the league in stats the last four years. tough as nails. Defenders hate him. subjectivly, he wasn't so bad at pass blocking either. He missed blocks. the whole online did. They got their shit together mid season and everybody look good. Thats the JR Sweezy that shines. TB underpaid IMO.

With no cap space to work with they can't sign everyone. Might be they go over a cheaper by the day Russell Okung instead of Sweezy who does have a capable of backup.

Okung was the team's best and most consistent run blocker. Unfortunately, he gets hurt every year. As a former Pro Bowl LT, he will still end up costing a lot more than Sweezy if they choose to re-sign him.

Jville

Reaction score
mrt144":3k3fi6dt said:
Jville":3k3fi6dt said:

Carry on!

I guess if we never want to sign a 2nd contract to OL yes, it validates it.

:177692: I get it. You do not like the program ..... that's just the way you feel.

Latest posts