Budda Baker on the Seahawks

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":w527hr3e said:
NFSeahawks628":w527hr3e said:
Not convinced John Ross will be great in the NFL.

For him to be great, he'll have to improve his hands. He doesn't seem to trust them at times, and often turns them the wrong way to catch passes, resulting in more body catches that he should be securing with his hands.

His speed is NFL great. His route running is college great. He has a ton of tools to work with. But it'll be his hands that will take the most work.

At this stage, Ross is probably still the best prospect. Lockett is a good comp. Although I think Ross has another gear that Lockett doesn't have. In particular, Ross has a gear before he hits top speed that affords him greater separation and give him better ability to create a seam to explode for huge plays. Both are quick, but I think Ross has an even greater ability to break away free and clear than Tyler.

Wouldn't be shocked if Ross has even faster top end speed.

What's really shown this year though, is Ross' route running. Very crisp. Very few lazy/rounded cuts. Demonstrates commitment to his craft. Bodes very well for him at the next level.

This draft looks very sneaky good for WR talent.
Ross would fit in great with a QB that can throw ahead of his speed

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Play Jimmy Graham at wideout opposite Baldwin and you'll no longer need a "big" receiver. Stop paying him to be a "blocking" tight end.

Get rid of Jermaine Kearse.

Play Vannett/Willson tight end sets, have one of them block.

Tyler Lockett is an unknown, his injury was gruesome. Could be a long road to recovery. You need additional depth.

I'd rather have John Ross than Richardson. I'm a big Ross fan but I'm not entirely sure he'll go in the first 2 rounds. Teams might avoid him because they think he might be too small and has an injury history. If Ross falls, you take him if he goes to round 3. Remember what round Lockett was drafted, yup, same.

Baker will run the 40 at 4.3 and go in the second round. Baker is the next Tyrann Mathieu.

Sidney Jones runs a solid 40, he'll be a first rounder. Not a chance Seattle gets him.

I agree, Kevin King seems like the perfect Seahawks corner. If he is there in round 4, you snag him. Deshawn Shead is not starter material.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Baker measured at 5-9 5/8, 195 pounds, with 30 5/8 arms. Height more or less as expected, weight, while not great, probably eases some concerns. Arms are short, roughly a half inch shorter than Earl Thomas and Tyrann Mathieu. Nothing stands out so far that would change his draft position dramatically. His measurements would limit him to playing in the slot or playing deep safety -- he lacks the length the Seahawks like in their outside corners.

If he can run sub-4.4 that would make him faster than both Earl and Mathieu and might solidify him as a first-round pick, given the role that slot nickel DBs have in modern defenses - making plays near the line of scrimmage and in the backfield. For the Seahawks he'd have the range to play single high safety as well. I personally like him better than Jabrill Peppers on defense because of his instincts and ability to make plays in deep coverage. Peppers does have the added versatility of playing on offense and especially as a kick returner.

If he runs well, depending on how the draft falls I'd take him at 26, and would be willing to trade up in round 2 as well.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I like Baker a lot. His instincts and ability to read plays is elite. I know he's a little smaller than Thomas but not as much as what some thought he would be. I think he could add weight and be pretty close to Earl's size.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sorry I would not draft someone smaller then Earl, Earls problem isn't heart, speed or desire, it's having a body that is running into brick walls and the brick walls are beginning to win more then lose.

Baker has a lot of the same traits, he may be a player for a while but will have the same issues, one good injury and then he will be trying to recover from one or another issues for many years.

Smellyman

Reaction score
DJrmb":3pcu1kef said:
You don't pass on a potential hall of fame player just because you have one at the same position. Baker could easily move to slot corner or even SS when Kam misses his annual 3 or 4 games until we're ready for him to take over for Earl.

Hall of Fame?

wow

DJrmb

Reaction score
Smellyman":2tkf065m said:
DJrmb":2tkf065m said:
You don't pass on a potential hall of fame player just because you have one at the same position. Baker could easily move to slot corner or even SS when Kam misses his annual 3 or 4 games until we're ready for him to take over for Earl.

Hall of Fame?

wow

Yeah, that's my opinion. Did you have something to add?

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
After his solid combine showing anyone think he will make it to our 2nd round pick.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk