Cable GONE

mrt144

Reaction score
HansGruber":1ahmgeuj said:
Scorpion05":1ahmgeuj said:
I mean, I was angry but I was never anti-Pete enough to stop watching. That would suggest that I'm a Hawks fan who only cared for the team once Pete started winning.

Many many MANY fans were upset with the team for continuing to stick with a hopeless offensive scheme and put a product on the field that was not enjoyable to watch. That doesn't mean we wouldn't watch. It meant we were frustrated and tired of watching that craptastic nonsense that Bevell and Cable were putting on the field.

My fanhood was questioned many times (which is frankly absurd) because of my frustration with the offense. Real fans are not allowed to be frustrated with the offense and feel the team was not enjoyable to watch, apparently. I guess I'm supposed to enjoy non-playoff mediocre football in order to be a "real" fan.

Then, Pete Carroll agreed with us publicly, fired the entire offensive coaching staff, and decided to start over from scratch. He didn't want to watch that putrid offense either and publicly stated the team's performance this year was unacceptable and painful to watch.

So I guess Pete Carroll is also a fairweather fan and a total poser. Boy, I sure am glad that Pete Carroll isn't a diehard. This team might actually be fun to watch again.

Deferring to authority when it comes to one's own opinions is kinda madness, isn't it?

mrt144

Reaction score
rossob":2femsc4r said:
CHawkTailGator":2femsc4r said:
WestcoastSteve":2femsc4r said:
harryjohnson":2femsc4r said:
Careful what you wish for...the fake grass isn't always greener.

What a silly post

We were never making the playoffs with cable and bevell. Could we get worse sure but we were trending further south every year. It was time for a change.

I don't think it's silly at all. Hopefully Pete and John have put a staff in place to replace the outgoing personnel. That means new coordinators, new scheme, new plays, a bunch of new jargon, new learning...go ask Matt Ryan how much having a great new coordinator helped him this year.

I'm not saying the change is bad, but this is far from a magic bean or get right pill. Now the real work begins.

While I think you are right and firing Cable & Bevell won't necessarily make us better, I think the Matt Ryan example is a pretty bad one.
If we assumed Cable & Bevell are average at their jobs and imo it's hard to argue that they are better than that, it would mean that we have a 50% chance of getting someone better. Matt Ryan had arguably the best OC in 2016, so there is obviously going to be a dropoff even if we don't consider him having to adapt to new coaching.

Here is another perspective - imagine that output follows a normal distribution and with a mesh between average coaching and average talent it spit out the result we saw in 2017. Expectations should follow this distribution then where we should expect 2018 to fall within 1 standard deviation positive or negative of 2017 with the 'average average' baseline established in 2017. if it falls or rises beyond that maybe we've stumbled into awful or awesome with coaching and no major changes in talent.

Just something to keep in the back pocket.

LolaRox

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":1r4ewqz8 said:
WestcoastSteve":1r4ewqz8 said:
harryjohnson":1r4ewqz8 said:
Careful what you wish for...the fake grass isn't always greener.

What a silly post

We were never making the playoffs with cable and bevell. Could we get worse sure but we were trending further south every year. It was time for a change.

I don't think it's silly at all. Hopefully Pete and John have put a staff in place to replace the outgoing personnel. That means new coordinators, new scheme, new plays, a bunch of new jargon, new learning...go ask Matt Ryan how much having a great new coordinator helped him this year.

I'm not saying the change is bad, but this is far from a magic bean or get right pill. Now the real work begins.

This isn't really a good example because 2 years after his previous new OC Ryan lead the highest scoring offense to the super bowl and was the MVP.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
One question I have for everyone I was suprrised to hear earlier this year that we had the highest paid o-line in 2013 and it's gone down in salary since then. If that is the case, were we getting full value for what we were spending? The Hawks running game was one of the best but I recall we had issues with the line then too, including penalties. I'm thinking of this because I am not buying the idea that Cable could do no better due to what he was given, considering salary spent at that time and the draft capital used since then.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":24jcu84e said:
One question I have for everyone I was suprrised to hear earlier this year that we had the highest paid o-line in 2013 and it's gone down in salary since then. If that is the case, were we getting full value for what we were spending? The Hawks running game was one of the best but I recall we had issues with the line then too, including penalties. I'm thinking of this because I am not buying the idea that Cable could do no better due to what he was given, considering salary spent at that time and the draft capital used since then.

That O-line absolutely had issues. It wasn't as bad as 2015-17 but it wasn't anything good.

Atradees

Reaction score
Here is to hoping we pick a guy that can spot journeyman OL players that can contribute at a mediocre level to sprinkle into the current rotation. Is that asking too much?

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Atradees":14d8ifnq said:
Here is to hoping we pick a guy that can spot journeyman OL players that can contribute at a mediocre level to sprinkle into the current rotation. Is that asking too much?

I’d settle for one that drafts FOOTBALL players and plays them at the position they have already been successful playing.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Or take the journeymen linemen, that we have had through the system, and who have gone on to success elsewhere, and integrate them successfully.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
mrt144":fktkc893 said:
rossob":fktkc893 said:
CHawkTailGator":fktkc893 said:
WestcoastSteve":fktkc893 said:
What a silly post

While I think you are right and firing Cable & Bevell won't necessarily make us better, I think the Matt Ryan example is a pretty bad one.
If we assumed Cable & Bevell are average at their jobs and imo it's hard to argue that they are better than that, it would mean that we have a 50% chance of getting someone better. Matt Ryan had arguably the best OC in 2016, so there is obviously going to be a dropoff even if we don't consider him having to adapt to new coaching.

Here is another perspective - imagine that output follows a normal distribution and with a mesh between average coaching and average talent it spit out the result we saw in 2017. Expectations should follow this distribution then where we should expect 2018 to fall within 1 standard deviation positive or negative of 2017 with the 'average average' baseline established in 2017. if it falls or rises beyond that maybe we've stumbled into awful or awesome with coaching and no major changes in talent.

Just something to keep in the back pocket.

As there is always a learning curve with a new placement of personnel, I would presume to expect this next season's expectation to be one standard deviation negative if not 2. New learning curves always seem to press to the negative in my experience before they jump to the positive. This is also dependent on what is available to work with. If the players are within a certain spec of what is necessary to field the same level of play, then they could excel in the new system. But again it is dependent on the learning curve.

Any way....happy for the damn change. :2thumbs:

zchurch74

Reaction score
Really?!? What’s does that even mean. Why would u put that on a board or anywhere? C’mon Man!