Can any non Seahawk fan help me understand something?

Slick

Reaction score
Primetime. Ratings. Bleck!

Is there any chance our game vs. the Eagles gets flexed? If yes, I fear another flag fest if things play out like last night.

I hope Fox 'protected' this game.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
It's easy to complain if you want to 'cherry pick' plays.

Yes, the OPI on Turbin was bad, no question about it...but, how about the two face mask penalties that should have been called on our 'Hawks?

Poop happens.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Slick":20q1dw0g said:

Is there any chance our game vs. the Eagles gets flexed? If yes, I fear another flag fest if things play out like last night.

I don't believe it can be flexed...I think the deadline on that has already passed even if it wasn't protected.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
LymonHawk":38600pxx said:

Yes, the OPI on Turbin was bad, no question about it...but, how about the two face mask penalties that should have been called on our 'Hawks?

Poop happens.

Yep. This and the failure to call an illegal man downfield on the punt. I think that the officiating was pretty bad last night and that we got the ass end of more bad calls than they did, but not in some terribly one-sided way.

Slick

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":1s0ptzex said:
Slick":1s0ptzex said:

I don't believe it can be flexed...I think the deadline on that has already passed even if it wasn't protected.

The irony of course is we get the dreaded 10am PST start. But I don't worry about that as much as I used to.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Slick":soud3q58 said:
MidwestHawker":soud3q58 said:
Slick":soud3q58 said:

The irony of course is we get the dreaded 10am PST start. But I don't worry about that as much as I used to.

Nah, we have the 1:25p PST start. It got moved to the afternoon to get more national coverage.

enamel

Reaction score
The real test will come some day when we're in a nationally televised game and the opponent is starting to run away with the score. Will we be the beneficiary of terrible calls that keep the game close? We just happen to be the team on the verge of breaking games open these days. Some day we won't be that team, and it won't feel like the refs are out to get us anymore. We should remember to be just as infuriated with them when and if the tables turn. Artificially controlled close games are not better for the fans or the league, even if they do look better in the tv ratings.

Hawks46

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":2bkavirw said:
LymonHawk":2bkavirw said:

Poop happens.

Yep. This and the failure to call an illegal man downfield on the punt. I think that the officiating was pretty bad last night and that we got the ass end of more bad calls than they did, but not in some terribly one-sided way.

You see, I have a question about that. Michaels and Collingsworth were saying that once that punt is muffed and it hits the ground, that the defenders are allowed to hit him before, during or after the punt and don't have to hit the ball first.

So, if the ball hits the ground and the punter gets it off, is there still ineligible players downfield ? Similar to there being no illegal contact in the secondary if a ball is tipped at the line (which is still incorrectly called a LOT that I've seen). I don't understand how one part of the rule sequence goes out the window but not the other.

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
ringless":245evqwq said:
It's crazy because on the 49ers forum I saw that they thought the refs screwed them. Not sure who to believe.

"Any given Sunday" now means your team can be screwed any given Sunday. I have NFL Sunday ticket and watch a lot of football. You can randomly pick any game and by the time you've watch 2 qtrs. you'll find so many bad calls, missed calls. etc.

Example, your game at San Diego, I'm not singling you guys out it's just a good example. Harvins TD, the ref on the side saw where he stepped out, pointed to where he stepped out, it was reviewed by a room full of people in NY who's sole job is to review scoring plays and it wasn't called back.

We need professional full time refs, not Drs., lawyer's looking for part time weekend work. They also should not work directly for the NFL.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Hawks46":1sfm5i91 said:
MidwestHawker":1sfm5i91 said:
LymonHawk":1sfm5i91 said:

Poop happens.

You see, I have a question about that. Michaels and Collingsworth were saying that once that punt is muffed and it hits the ground, that the defenders are allowed to hit him before, during or after the punt and don't have to hit the ball first.

So, if the ball hits the ground and the punter gets it off, is there still ineligible players downfield ? Similar to there being no illegal contact in the secondary if a ball is tipped at the line (which is still incorrectly called a LOT that I've seen). I don't understand how one part of the rule sequence goes out the window but not the other.

I'm not really following. What does the fact that defenders can hit him have to do with whether players on the punt team can illegally go downfield?

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Here are some facts: When I calculated the opponents avg I did not add their Seattle game into the numbers as I wanted show what they had for penalties against the hawks compared to the avg of the rest of their games this season.

# of Hawk penalties for game/Opponent/Opponent flag for game/Opponent avg # of penalties per game for the year
Seahawks 4 Green Bay 8 (5.6) = +3.4 season avg
Seahawks 8 @San Diego 6 (6.3) = -.3 season avg
Seahawks 7 Denver 4 (9.2) = -5.2 season avg
Seahawks 13 @Washington 3 (8) = -5 season avg
Seahawks 9 Dallas 6 (5.5) = +.5 season avg
Seahawks 10 @St Louis 2 (8.1) = -6.1 season avg
Seahawks 7 @Carolina 4 (5.4) = -1.4 season avg
Seahawks 9 Oakland 5 (7) = -2 season avg
Seahawks 6 Giants 4 (5.5) = -1.5 season avg
Seahawks 8 @KC 3 (4.9) = -1.9 season avg
Seahawks 7 Arizona 3 (6.5) = -3.5 season avg
Seahawks 14 @49ers 3 (7.2) = -4.2 season avg

Total Seahawk Penalties 102, Opponents 51

So what this tells me is of our 12 games this Season our opponents get flagged less against the Seahawks then their avg opponent. Of the 12 games only 2 have been called for more flags then a typical game of theirs (Packers and Cowboys). Our penalties suck but that isn't my issue, my issue is the lack of no calls on our opponents. We all know that if the refs wanted to toss a flag on either team for each play they could as you can always find an infraction if you look hard enough, they are just turning more of a blind out to who we play against then they are with the Seahawks.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I did like how when Turbin was called for his offensive PI in the end zone the one announcer said they will call that "every time". Then the other announcer said have you seen Wes Welker do that 100 times and not get called. LOL. That was awesome but of little consolation to not getting a touchdown.

djb28

Reaction score
Everyone can clearly see what is going on. Why can't something be done about this? The Refs are out of hand. Just think if we do make it back to the Super Bowl. The Referee effect will be 2005 all over again.

olyfan63

Reaction score
LymonHawk":1u41m8fx said:

Poop happens.

Looked like we got away with a facemask on Kaep on one of the sacks.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":3851dgg7 said:
Slick":3851dgg7 said:
MidwestHawker":3851dgg7 said:
Slick":3851dgg7 said:

Nah, we have the 1:25p PST start. It got moved to the afternoon to get more national coverage.
It's been an afternoon game Pacific time since the schedule came out.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
RunTheBall":34fbx7h3 said:
The refs were just trying to keep the game close to keep the audience watching, Seahawks putting the game away early in the 3rd quarter was never an option, thus the BS calls once we got into the red zone.
This is the correct answer^

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2dr3obqy said:
MidwestHawker":2dr3obqy said:

It's been an afternoon game Pacific time since the schedule came out.

My mistake. Either way, no more 10 a.m. PT games unless we happen to draw a playoff game with one.

253hawk

Reaction score
On Britt's clipping, he immediately dove from out of his stance towards the center at an angle and got called for it because the DT went that way as well. Normally, an OL is going to beat the DT to that spot and hit him in the front of the legs for a clean chop block. Whatever, it was the right call but it wasn't malicious or anything. Probably just Britt being slow.

But Irvin can blow completely by Staley, take a deliberate hit in the back of the legs and not get a call? Seems legit.

http://gfycat.com/DownrightParchedDrafthorse

irocdave

Reaction score
enamel":2r5ig8or said:
The real test will come some day when we're in a nationally televised game and the opponent is starting to run away with the score. Will we be the beneficiary of terrible calls that keep the game close? We just happen to be the team on the verge of breaking games open these days. Some day we won't be that team, and it won't feel like the refs are out to get us anymore. We should remember to be just as infuriated with them when and if the tables turn. Artificially controlled close games are not better for the fans or the league, even if they do look better in the tv ratings.

Lol, guess you weren't around for the late 80's, all of the 90's or 2000 - 2003. It doesn't work both ways, or at least it didn't back then. The Hawks always seemed to be on the short end of bad officiating for that 15 year stretch. That's why I laugh at fans that mock how the Hawks have no history. Just shows how little they as football fans know about the game and what the Hawks and fans had to endure during that time frame.

Latest posts