Can we talk Bevell?

penihawk

Reaction score
Needs to let RW be RW. He is not conventional in any sense yet Bevell seems to call games like we have an all-world line and Peyton Manning. Drives me nuts!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":7ykre2lh said:
I'm not worried about the WR's. Yeah, they should win a handful more 1-on-1 matchups, but, Wilson doesn't throw it unless wide-open. Pete's beat that in his head.

It's Bevell's job to get them open. And, that's my gripe.

I know I'll get flamed, but I agree with iRo. I always kind of like Bates. At least his passing game design.

Bates was a better pass caller, but his guts not nuts approach was never going to fit Pete's vision. Watching the Texans run zone block is pretty special, that is the Gibbs system in it's purest form. I don't think Pete ever got over Bates making him choose between him and Gibbs.

I think avoiding the short middle LB area is a fundamental part of Bevell's pass game, and is not really a product of QB height. Between the short seams are one of the biggest danger zones for every thing that can go wrong on a pass, so Bevell just stays away form there. Besides, our play action game is all about freezing the linebackers for a second to see if we are running, so it isn't as if base defenses vacate that area anyway vs our offense.

What irritates me is that against a team like the Texans, or the Skins last year, we have little ability to take advantage of that area when they do vacate it to attack.

CEHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":7pc2n9ww said:
I didn't say Wilson's better throwing on the run, I said he's almost as good throwing on the run as he is in the pocket, and that in that regard, he is incomparable in the NFL.
No I hear you I Agree 100% with your post. I was referring to another post with that comment.

Atradees

Reaction score
Bevell did not adjust at all...in my opinion. I am sure it has been said.
Jeremy Bates was a great coach. (passing game)

seedhawk

Reaction score
Wow! So many it appears here who think Bevel operates our O in a vacuum. Could it be he calls his plays to fit PC's definition of what he (PC) wants accomplished? We beat hell out of other teams (physically), and eventually impose our will. Sometimes it looks pretty, and sometimes it looks ugly as crap, yet it still works.

Consider the fact that, damn near everyone we play gets beat the next week. That is a 2-for by anyone's standard, especially in conference games. We beat you, and beat you up so bad you lose next week. That is a game to game and a half advantage for us.

Also, for all you questioners, consider that as mentioned, Brees is barely taller than Wilson yet throws quick slants etc. Brees has an unbelievably adaptive head coach, and he signed Brees and designed everything offensively around his strengths. No one else in the league is better at coaching throwing lanes, and having at least 2 recievieving options in each throwing lane than Payton.

Could it be that Cable, not Bevell should be our whipping boy/coach? Seems to me Cable's "zone scheme" is designed to help guy's like Lynch at the expense of guy's like Wilson.

Give Bevell freedom to do anything he wants, and I bet our offense looks entirely different. :twocents:

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
seedhawk":1smm0lsz said:
Could it be that Cable, not Bevell should be our whipping boy/coach? Seems to me Cable's "zone scheme" is designed to help guy's like Lynch at the expense of guy's like Wilson.

I'm not sure I understand what one thing has to do with the other? The way we run block hurts our passing game?

seedhawk":1smm0lsz said:
Give Bevell freedom to do anything he wants, and I bet our offense looks entirely different. :twocents:

I think the problem is Bevell isn't giving Russ enough freedom, not vice-versa. It still feel like Bevell has the training wheels on #3 and isn't letting Russ run the game from the field the way he did to end last season.

Rocket

Reaction score
pehawk":1q374kdr said:
HawkFan72":1q374kdr said:
I agree. seems like we are frustrated with him over the first half of the year, then love him the 2nd half of the year when the offense starts rolling. Just wish he would figure things out sooner.

I tell myself Pete has the luxury to counter-punch (counter-punching leads to bigger plays by default, and that's Pete's love), because of the defense, and that's Bevell's direction. But, I'm learning to accept Bevell stick's to his script, and sees it through, regardless of what's working, regardless of reasoning.

This was the aspect of the Walrus that used to drive me crazy. Kinda.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The team excels late in games because Russ himself becomes more willing to run for extra yardage and because opposing Ds are a little gassed at that point precisely because of our ground-and-pound style. It's not as if light bulbs are going off only as the 4th quarter hits.

I also don't really get the whole "Bevell needs to unleash RW" stuff. We've limited our O because the O-line is a huge liability right now. I said we needed to lean on the run as soon as Okung's injury was announced, and that's what we're doing. The guy still took five sacks yesterday. How much hand-wringing over play calling would there be if he took even more hits than that? Or if he got hurt? Bevell/Cable actually did a pretty admirable job of neutralizing Watt the best they could, but those subtleties seem to be ignored in favor of the tired whining about "run-run-pass."

Rocket

Reaction score
pehawk":1e8s4wd1 said:
HawkFan72":1e8s4wd1 said:
I agree. seems like we are frustrated with him over the first half of the year, then love him the 2nd half of the year when the offense starts rolling. Just wish he would figure things out sooner.

I tell myself Pete has the luxury to counter-punch (counter-punching leads to bigger plays by default, and that's Pete's love), because of the defense, and that's Bevell's direction. But, I'm learning to accept Bevell stick's to his script, and sees it through, regardless of what's working, regardless of reasoning.

This was the aspect of the Walrus that used to drive me crazy. Kinda.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I couldn't disagree with Seedhawk more. Also, Carroll is a defensive guy; I sincerely doubt he rules the offensive playbook with an iron fist.

I also hope the "zone coverage experience" is dead after watching it get shredded for the first half of the game. We're one of the only teams in the league with GREAT personnel for man coverage, and we should press (lol) that advantage.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Sorry Abs but I think you missed my point. PC is the head, and Cable is the assistant head. Bevell is at best 3rd on the food chain. Could it be the training wheels are on Bevell, not Wilson?

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
seedhawk":14su79uv said:
Sorry Abs but I think you missed my point. PC is the head, and Cable is the assistant head. Bevell is at best 3rd on the food chain. Could it be the training wheels are on Bevell, not Wilson?

You should apologize to all of us, really.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think Pete wants to get the pocket passing game down so that we don't always depend on Russell running. Although yesterday was probably not the best day for that. Believe me, if Bevell isn't calling the game the way Pete wants it, there will be a change.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Atradees":2knh0abv said:

If this forum kept a history Im guessing fire Bates threads were up.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":s6295237 said:
Atradees":s6295237 said:

They were indeed. I dug what he carved out with a garbage QB, WR's and OL.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":rajvm5mq said:
Atradees":rajvm5mq said:

To the best of my recollection, they weren't, (we did have plenty of people taking too much blame away from our players on the field and putting it on Bates, though) and a good number of people expressed sadness at his departure. Perhaps someone else can elaborate, because I really don't recall too many specifics about the forum at that news/time.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Rocket":1omgij28 said:
Imagine, if you will...

Mike Martz at the helm with Wilson.

You're already seeing it. Wilson just avoids the endless sacks better.

Latest posts