Carroll: Earl is Earl

hawknation2017

Reaction score
"We all know Earl, and Earl's a wonderful guy and a great competitor, an incredible player and all that," Carroll said. "He sees things a little differently sometimes. It's unfortunate because it causes people to have to take a stand on stuff, and then in this day and age, everything you say just goes and goes."

"He is as tightly wound as anybody I've ever been around, I think, and as introspective. Really, he's very quiet. He doesn't say much, he doesn't talk much, he's not a guy that expresses himself very often. When he does, sometimes it's coming out, 'OK, what was that? Where'd that come from, Earl?' But he's awesome in his way."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2188 ... as-comment

sutz

Reaction score
I was over the Earl tweet about 2.5 msec after I saw it.

:229031_shrug:

OP
OP
hawknation2017

hawknation2017

Reaction score
I don't think it's good or bad. Earl is just Earl. Doesn't require any moral appraisal. :2thumbs:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
We've had moral appraisals of nearly every one of the big players to wear a Hawks jersey since Butler picked off RW.

Why stop now?

I thought what ET was unprofessional in its timing and publicity. Not overly concerned as his teammates can sort that out. Little concerned that a HC that has been flexible with the environment these big personalities work in continues to let the bubble get bigger. Maybe he has done so privately...

But I think the biggest issues with this team is the unchecked personalities of its bigger stars. When the wheels are spinning fast its just a calm humming.. but when they wobble its a whole bunch of squeaking. But, that's PC's style.. so here we are

ivotuk

Reaction score
"I'm up in arms," Carroll said sarcastically when asked about the incident during his weekly radio appearance on 710 ESPN Seattle.

Carroll said he spoke with an incredulous Thomas after catching wind of what happened.

"I sat with Earl afterwards and he was like, 'What do you mean?'

He didn't think he did anything wrong at all. He didn't know," Carroll said. "He was just having fun and he was really excited about the game. He was a little bit [wanting to] rub it in a little bit and have a good time with it, and then he just said something into the future.

When you read it, it comes across bad. But if he had another chance, he wouldn't say that again.

"He was really concerned about our fans. That was his first [thought], 'Geez, I don't want to make them think that I don't love being here' and all that. So he said what he could say to try to clear it up and all that."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2188 ... as-comment

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
None of us know what is said behind closed doors between Pete and the players. None of us. It does seem like he gives them a little too much free reign. But it has always been this way, why should anyone be surprised by this latest episode?

ivotuk

Reaction score
I could see how it could easily be misconstrued, but I think what Earl was saying is that "Ya'll ain't going anywhere unless you have me on your team."

He always says things in an odd way. You have to decipher his comments. Earl is earl, he's got that "Dragon Blood!" :179419:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Like he said, people take life way too seriously sometimes. Relax, breathe, it's gonna' be ok. He's gonna' ball out and help us get that W on Sunday. There's no way anyone could actually think he doesn't like it here, this is his family, those are his brothers out there.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Earl has yet to learn that "Words mean things". The sooner he grasps that concept the happier he will be and the "less tightly wound he will be".

Jville

Reaction score
Uncle Si":141oz6zb said:
So....

It's all good then?

Absolutely ...... Quite Assassins Rule!

That's why he is back there. No telegraphing. No warning. No red line in the sand. Just sudden stealthy execution.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1y41lkks said:
Earl has yet to learn that "Words mean things". The sooner he grasps that concept the happier he will be and the "less tightly wound he will be".

UjRqXMm

IrishNW

Reaction score
Pete completely plays down the situation? shocker

Pete will go to great lengths to protect his players so who knows if hes ever telling the truth anymore.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3v3sr901 said:
We've had moral appraisals of nearly every one of the big players to wear a Hawks jersey since Butler picked off RW.

Why stop now?

I thought what ET was unprofessional in its timing and publicity. Not overly concerned as his teammates can sort that out. Little concerned that a HC that has been flexible with the environment these big personalities work in continues to let the bubble get bigger. Maybe he has done so privately...

But I think the biggest issues with this team is the unchecked personalities of its bigger stars. When the wheels are spinning fast its just a calm humming.. but when they wobble its a whole bunch of squeaking. But, that's PC's style.. so here we are

Is PC's style the cause of our losing or is our losing the cause of our improved hearing?

RussB

Reaction score
I was really surprised and dissapointed in what he said at first. Then got over it once he explained what he meant.

He meant he still wants to be in seattle in his prime, but when its time for seattle to let him go he would want to play for dallas because hes from texas. Not a big deal at all.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
You're either with us or against us Earl

If you're with us, I'll support you til you retire. Yes, even if you lose a step and inevitably get older

But if you're against us, if you don't wanna be a part of the family...if you're making it seem as if the team can't possibly survive without you then you're officially an enemy of Hawk Nation. And I will pray for Russell to drop 5 Tds over your head and make you look foolish in space 8) :irishdrinkers:

Side Note: Pete has a great way of putting out fires. That to me is leadership

Aw Mang

Reaction score
An article in the Seattle Times today mentioned the ESPN article about Earl couple days ago and Earl was quoted as saying he doesn’t get any respect or something to that effect. That must have bothered him enough to do the “come and get me” part ? Pete is just doing the PR talk right now. Everything is alright for now. We will see how things shake out in the off season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Earl is Earl
Michael is Michael
Marshawn is Marshawn
Percy is Percy
Doug is Doug
Richard is Richard

See a trend here?

I love Pete, I love what he brings to the organization philosophically. But I long for a coach that doesn't allow Earl to be Earl.

When you're team has underachieved for 2-3 years and this is the 84th distraction because <player is player>? It's time to tweak your coaching philosophy and start shutting this stuff down.

drdiags

Reaction score
Reminds me of Deion Branch's "Come get me .." statement, I believe it was also in Dallas. At least fans won't be caught off-guard if/when he moves on. This is sort of like you knew Lynch, if he could, would play for the Raiders given a chance to do it. Nothing wrong with wanting to play for your hometown and childhood heroes. Seems to be a foreboding of changes on the horizon.

Will miss them all when they are gone. New faces will eventually replace them.