Carroll: Earl is Earl

Boycie

Reaction score
Earl was my favourite player until this. I’m sure most of us on this forum have played competitive team sports and we all realize how important the “team first” mentality is.

I love the way he plays, but this soured me in him because you never put yourself before the team.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It has zero impact on how he plays. Or will play in the future. He is under contact in 2018, so zero control over what happens. By the time 2018 is over, they'll have a lot better idea how much he has left in the tank. Sure it was probably a dumb thing to say, but at least he came back and explained himself. Unlike Sherm who would rather have a chainsaw enema than admit he's wrong about something, ever.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":jsvbi1al said:
Earl was my favourite player until this. I’m sure most of us on this forum have played competitive team sports and we all realize how important the “team first” mentality is.

I love the way he plays, but this soured me in him because you never put yourself before the team.
Pro sports are a different animal than any level before it. I don't think you can apply junior high/high school/college team chemistry dynamics to the NFL.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":zthkhf89 said:

Agreed, I don't give a shit how you try to spin it. It's not about anyone being butt-hurt rolly polly, it's about the team first mentality and not doing things that can obviously only hurt your team. The timing again was awful, you think the other players want to see that, the young guys? Nah.

Pete's words mean little, he will always defend his crew even if they are wrong.

I'm kinda over this now, but it definitely changes my view on Earl.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
? has he ever put himself before the team on the field? Absolutely not. Not many players in the league play as hard as he does and/or with as much passion as he does.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":101hmjaa said:
? has he ever put himself before the team on the field? Absolutely not. Not many players in the league play as hard as he does and/or with as much passion as he does.

Not about that, it's about what he did off the field. Quit trying to change the narrative.

There is nothing wrong with people not liking what he did, it wasn't normal.

He's a great player on the field sure, but you gotta be smart off the field too.
I still like him, but it was a stupid move.

It's almost like he heard rumor that we might not keep him and took it personally. It's a business, can't keep everyone.

:34853_doh:

It's esentially a lighter version of the "Kam" incident when he literally went insane on twitter and started blocking fans... like really? :34853_doh:

Boycie

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3frptc2n said:
Ace_Rimmer":3frptc2n said:

Pro sports are a different animal than any level before it. I don't think you can apply junior high/high school/college team chemistry dynamics to the NFL.

Tell that to a room full of NHLers!

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
StoneCold":14ebr62d said:
Uncle Si":14ebr62d said:
We've had moral appraisals of nearly every one of the big players to wear a Hawks jersey since Butler picked off RW.

Why stop now?

I thought what ET was unprofessional in its timing and publicity. Not overly concerned as his teammates can sort that out. Little concerned that a HC that has been flexible with the environment these big personalities work in continues to let the bubble get bigger. Maybe he has done so privately...

But I think the biggest issues with this team is the unchecked personalities of its bigger stars. When the wheels are spinning fast its just a calm humming.. but when they wobble its a whole bunch of squeaking. But, that's PC's style.. so here we are

Is PC's style the cause of our losing or is our losing the cause of our improved hearing?

Think of it this way, it's like a parent being best friends with their kid. It's not a terrible dynamic but also not the dynamic you need for every situation. "Oh that's just Johnny being Johnny" after he punches a baby in the face.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, if you choose to let it bug you that much, go for it. It was dumb, move on. And yeah, this is exactly like punching someone in the face :2thumbs:

Boycie

Reaction score
The other thing that pisses me off about this is he is a leader on the team whether he is vocal or not. It is widely known that he carries a lot of clout, and that his actions are setting a bad example for the young guys coming up.

If he really wanted to make it known that he wants to go the Girls, then covey that through his agent through indirect channels like most guys would.

Pete can say whatever he wants about this, but there is a real problem and the inmates are starting to run the asylum.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Can't really argue that at all. He seems to let them do or say whatever the want quite often. Though this doesn't come close to some of the crap that Sherm has said over the years.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":3amyyfz7 said:
The other thing that pisses me off about this is he is a leader on the team whether he is vocal or not. It is widely known that he carries a lot of clout, and that his actions are setting a bad example for the young guys coming up.

If he really wanted to make it known that he wants to go the Girls, then covey that through his agent through indirect channels like most guys would.

Pete can say whatever he wants about this, but there is a real problem and the inmates are starting to run the asylum.

True leaders don't do the bold.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2tqexvkj said:
Well, if you choose to let it bug you that much, go for it. It was dumb, move on. And yeah, this is exactly like punching someone in the face :2thumbs:
It's the same idea, it's excusing bad decisions which Pete LOVESSSSSSS to do.

I would love to support the team and players blindly, but I'm too objective and call it like I see it.

OP
OP
hawknation2017

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Nothing Earl said will have a negative effect on anything, except some people's fragile feelings.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
These players arent as dumb as some want us to believe. They know exactly what they're doing when they say things. We hear Carroll's PR shtick so often, its becoming laughable.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
May not be dumb, but they do plenty of dumb things. See Sherm.
I guess I'm surprised that anyone thinks this is something out of the norm. This team has had guys saying strange things for years. This is no different, and certainly isn't as bad as some of the other things people have done or said on this team. Like how they acted at the end of the Jags game. That was embarrassing. Earl saying that out loud was just kind of dumb, but it will have zero impact. And even if they lose, which they won't, it won't be because of this. Even if people attempt to spin it that way. Probably a lot of the same people who blamed Ciara if Russ didn't have a huge game.

NJlargent

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":29o1mhz0 said:
These players arent as dumb as some want us to believe. They know exactly what they're doing when they say things. We hear Carroll's PR shtick so often, its becoming laughable.

Of course they all know what they are doing. Carroll's responses are irrelevant at this point. I just hope the team comes out prepared and wins and we get help from Carolina. If the season ends on Sunday, then these other issues will need to be addressed.

sutz

Reaction score
I'm missing Captain Don here. He would be monitoring this situation closely, I'm sure.

:twisted:

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":1ume4wz4 said:

I know this is a figure of speech but can we stop with this nonsense?

These are talented paid professionals, not children or maids. I have been among the harshest critics of Earl recently and I have several posts to prove that. But I can't stand this idea that he somehow doesn't at minimum have the right to speak his mind(as a human being and professional). I may not like it, but I'm not gonna suggest Pete should somehow put him in his place as if he's Earl's father. I put it on Earl. If he wants to be here great, if he doesn't kick rocks. He has that right. I may be pissed at the disloyalty and believe he might be hurting the culture of our team. But I'll still speak about him as an adult with his own rights as an individual. He's done nothing to violate his actual contract, he plays hard

This idea that coaches should somehow keep a boot on their players necks is a big reason why free agents don't sign with certain teams. It's why the Patriots had to create an elite system that can elevate average to good talent. If you notice the top shelf free agents don't always sign with them.

Players know this is a business and their talent is currency. If you don't show respect for them and talk to them like they're below you they'll leave. If anything, part of why we've kept a lot of our pieces is because Pete is extremely progressive and open minded. If I was a player, I'd take a paycut just for him. All of our defensive stars could have gotten more money elsewhere