Carroll: Earl is Earl

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Ever read how Pats/Sox/Yankees fans react to their players? Its a false equivalency. There is no connection.. and to be honest, the fans whinging about ET's comments or level of play have no bearing on his ability to do his job and get paid for it.

To add to your metaphor (which lacks a general connection to the relevancy of the two parties involved) it would be like a husband who cheats on his wife, who in turn makes millions of dollars more than he does and lives in her own house and has her own life that he doesnt know about, but he doesnt want her cheating on him.

The fans are an entity, as are the players. These are not two individuals who share this mutual experience side by side.

My point in all of this is its folly to expect fans to have a rational perspective about athletes because the entire dynamic isnt rational anyways. Its entertainment. Part of that entertainment is this message board where people make irrational statements about people who play a game for their enjoyment.

Put it this way.. i think every person on here who has said something awful about ET this week wouldnt pull their hand back if he was standing in front of them waiting for a high five

StoneCold

Reaction score
Uncle Si":14r8k523 said:
Ever read how Pats/Sox/Yankees fans react to their players? Its a false equivalency. There is no connection.. and to be honest, the fans whinging about ET's comments or level of play have no bearing on his ability to do his job and get paid for it.

To add to your metaphor (which lacks a general connection to the relevancy of the two parties involved) it would be like a husband who cheats on his wife, who in turn makes millions of dollars more than he does and lives in her own house and has her own life that he doesnt know about, but he doesnt want her cheating on him.

The fans are an entity, as are the players. These are not two individuals who share this mutual experience side by side.

My point in all of this is its folly to expect fans to have a rational perspective about athletes because the entire dynamic isnt rational anyways. Its entertainment. Part of that entertainment is this message board where people make irrational statements about people who play a game for their enjoyment.

Put it this way.. i think every person on here who has said something awful about ET this week wouldnt pull their hand back if he was standing in front of them waiting for a high five

ET's comments also have no bearing on his ability to do his job. I won't be concerned about what he says until I see evidence it's negatively impacting the game.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
StoneCold":17ce02uj said:
ET's comments also have no bearing on his ability to do his job. I won't be concerned about what he says until I see evidence it's negatively impacting the game.

Absolutely not, even though I didn't like what Earl said I know the minute he steps onto the field he's going to give maximum effort.

But these two things don't have to be mutually exclusive. It's not either/or for me, as with other players on the team who have acted out or said inappropriate things, I can love how they play and still be disappointed in their off field actions or statement.

That's how it is with what Earl did Sunday. It's not a big deal, but on a certain level it's disrespectful to his teammates, coaches, owner and fans...........and most importantly it's another distraction this team doesn't need.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
StoneCold":pkk9wyxs said:
Uncle Si":pkk9wyxs said:

Ok?

I said fans comments have no impact on whether ET does his job well or get paid to do it, not his, which was a reply to all those who think fans are being unfair to him.

As for your personal feelings on the matter.. cool.

OP
OP
hawknation2017

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Harm theory, as defined by J.S. Mill, suggests that an action is only immoral (and thus entitled to the moral coercion of public opinion) if it causes actual harm. Moral approbation, disgust, or merely thinking something is wrong is not sufficient justification if the action itself is harmless.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
hawknation2017":3a6s7zxu said:
Harm theory, as defined by J.S. Mill, suggests that an action is only immoral (and thus entitled to the moral coercion of public opinion) if it causes actual harm. Moral approbation, disgust, or merely thinking something is wrong is not sufficient justification if the action itself is harmless.

Caring about what someone, anyone thinks on the internet is a fruitless endeavor-- Me. But, people are still chewing into each other about the morality and strength of their fandom. When really, if you cared about these guys, you'd stop watching.

Again, comparing the logic and relationship of fans and athletes to any other situation in life makes as little sense getting upset by the reactions of either.

Yet, here we are. A giant Roman coliseum with millions upon millions of fans obsessed with every single step of the athletes, coaches and owners of the teams they invest so much emotionally into.

Wonder what JS Mill, Freud or even Aristotle would think about all this. A world where more is spent on entertainment than education, sports than science, television than infrastructure.

We are being sedated. But you want to rationalize that endeavor with logic? apply that logic on a wider scale. the whole of professional sports is immoral (amoral at the least)

ET... you're good man. Do your thing. Fans should only cheer you bashing your head into other people at dangerous speeds for millions of dollars... because logic.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Im way off topic... so apologies to the group.

Just saying people can assume whatever feelings they want about the actions of the football players (in this case ET) because its part of being a fan.