Carroll: Earl is Earl

Boycie

Reaction score
What do you not understand? If you worked at a job where you were on stage all the time and you did this then you need to be accountable.

I hope Paul Allen makes an example out of him.

Let me ask this question. Once Earl retires, will the Hawks cease to exist?

Of course not, so hold his ass accountable.

Nothing is more important that the team!

The badge on the front is more important than the name on the back!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":1kcl1hdb said:
"I'm up in arms," Carroll said sarcastically when asked about the incident during his weekly radio appearance on 710 ESPN Seattle.

Carroll said he spoke with an incredulous Thomas after catching wind of what happened.

"I sat with Earl afterwards and he was like, 'What do you mean?'

He didn't think he did anything wrong at all. He didn't know," Carroll said. "He was just having fun and he was really excited about the game. He was a little bit [wanting to] rub it in a little bit and have a good time with it, and then he just said something into the future.

When you read it, it comes across bad. But if he had another chance, he wouldn't say that again.

"He was really concerned about our fans. That was his first [thought], 'Geez, I don't want to make them think that I don't love being here' and all that. So he said what he could say to try to clear it up and all that."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2188 ... as-comment
Yup, weak sauce....he didn't have his followers on his mind when he approached Garrett....Very dismissive & petty on his part....I don't feel the same respect that I once had, but there'll be no backlash nor consequence for dis'n his many fans,
I have ZERO qualms about him wanting to play for his hometown Team, but he showed no class last Sunday.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Long story short players older than 26 confuse Carroll.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":1hmhwxp1 said:
Then Pete needs to either adapt or get he eff out!

He is a pure college coach. He will always win but after 5 years players tune him out.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Pete is not a real coach. He lacks the fortitude to discipline players. He is more like a motivational speaker.

Passepartout

Reaction score
Well all coaches are not the same. They are all different. Some are strict and hard nosed. Some are laid back and down to earth. It depends.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":2jkfdss2 said:
What do you not understand? If you worked at a job where you were on stage all the time and you did this then you need to be accountable.

I hope Paul Allen makes an example out of him.

Let me ask this question. Once Earl retires, will the Hawks cease to exist?

Of course not, so hold his ass accountable.

Nothing is more important that the team!

The badge on the front is more important than the name on the back!

Make an example out of him for what? For a DUI? For getting into a fight in a bar?

Oh, for speaking his mind while honoring his contract and playing like the best free safety in the league?

Your mindset is very revealing about how you perceive football players. What Earl did was immoral, but not unethical. You're angrily saying hold his ass accountable as if he's a child you put on timeout and spank into a corner. Nope, Earl has the power to make whatever decision he wants and doesn't have to bite his tongue. Teams will be clamoring for him, he doesn't have to tolerate the views of fans like you.

With respect, it is clear you are incapable of distinguishing the tastelessness of what he's done from his autonomy as a football player. Your point is illogical. I'm angry about what he did, but I have a live and let leave approach

BullHawk33

Reaction score
Earl may be Earl. He may be quiet, introspective, quirky and all the things that Pete states.

I just think it is telling that the moment the Seahawks win the game, he's out lobbying for a job in the future with a coach that can't actually talk to him about that stuff because A) he may not be there. B) he can't because that is tampering. It shows a decided lack of awareness on Earl's part and it also shows that his head is in a really strange space immediately after they survived to win.

Boycie

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3rfy5ysp said:
Ace_Rimmer":3rfy5ysp said:
Tell that to a room full of NHLers!
I would. I doubt many of them would disagree with me.

Then you obviously only watch NFL or maybe the NBA.

I love how all of you arm chair players defend Earl. Again ET3 was my favourite player
until this crap, but that was it for me because a player isn’t bigger than the team, unless you are Roland who was obviously a spelling bee diva!

Mad Dog

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1305dim8 said:
SoulfishHawk":1305dim8 said:
? has he ever put himself before the team on the field? Absolutely not. Not many players in the league play as hard as he does and/or with as much passion as he does.

Not about that, it's about what he did off the field. Quit trying to change the narrative.

There is nothing wrong with people not liking what he did, it wasn't normal.

He's a great player on the field sure, but you gotta be smart off the field too.
I still like him, but it was a stupid move.

It's almost like he heard rumor that we might not keep him and took it personally. It's a business, can't keep everyone.

:34853_doh:

It's esentially a lighter version of the "Kam" incident when he literally went insane on twitter and started blocking fans... like really? :34853_doh:

I’m sorry but there is certainly something wrong with people that didn’t like what he did. Because it is absolutely none of our business. Getting our knickers twisted about perceived slights is an awful trend in The World today.

None of us know Earl. Who are we to judge his words?

Sit down with a man and talk it over and then make judgements.
Otherwise just keep it to yourself. Overly critical people tend to ruin everything. Before you take the speck out of your brothers eye, remove the log from your own.

Seymour

Reaction score
Mad Dog":31ofih6l said:
NFSeahawks628":31ofih6l said:
SoulfishHawk":31ofih6l said:
? has he ever put himself before the team on the field? Absolutely not. Not many players in the league play as hard as he does and/or with as much passion as he does.

Not about that, it's about what he did off the field. Quit trying to change the narrative.

He's a great player on the field sure, but you gotta be smart off the field too.

It's almost like he heard rumor that we might not keep him and took it personally. It's a business, can't keep everyone.

It's esentially a lighter version of the "Kam" incident when he literally went insane on twitter and started blocking fans... like really? :34853_doh:

I’m sorry but there is certainly something wrong with people that didn’t like what he did. Because it is absolutely none of our business. Getting our knickers twisted about perceived slights is an awful trend in The World today.

Otherwise just keep it to yourself. Overly critical people tend to ruin everything. Before you take the speck out of your brothers eye, remove the log from your own.

Sorry, that is not how spectator sports work (obviously). People invest time and money and pick their favorites and cheer them on. Anyone wearing a Thomas jersey, a 12, or any hawk gear for that matter, or those that invest their time into turning on games and watching the adds that pay the players have just as much right to approve or disapprove a players actions as the fan that either cheers or boo's from his paid seat does. The very sport charges people a lot of $$ to come and show your emotion for your team. Pete himself said "I don't blame them" about fans booing during the Rams loss. Fan approval works both ways, you don't always get just cheers.

If Earl wants to put himself in the enemies locker room then back it up with words, he now becomes the enemy IMO.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2oboe39y said:
NFSeahawks628":2oboe39y said:
SoulfishHawk":2oboe39y said:

It is "our" business though, right? I mean we are the fans. So... when he publicly puts himself out there it going to be judged by the fans.

We dont get to "sit down with the man." We are the fans and all we have are his actions and words, and by the relationship of athletes, have every right to judge him on that.

Fans are meant to be critical. noone complains when they cheer too hard, so noone should criticize when they boo as hard. Thats they dynamic.

The reality is... they are the athletes, we are the fans. The two have very different parameters about their role in that relationship. Maybe your friends with Earl and can sit down with him. I'd say the vast majority do not have that access (probably really dont want that access) and use the internet here to continue their distant relationship with the players and the team.

That's sports.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
You know ... I get it. I get all of the hurt feelings that a lot of fans carry when they hear stuff like this. I'm not forgetting or minimizing any of that ... but for those who feel that way, I would encourage you to put yourself in the place of the player for a second.

We hear commentators all the time say that the NFL stands for "Not For Long" and how true that really is. Teams and fans talk about "loving" players ... but how far does that love truly go? The brutal truth of the matter is that once Earl Thomas is no longer an elite player ... no longer worth the money that they are shelling out for him ... they will "kick him to the curb" (so to speak). They will put him out for recycling like yesterday's newspaper. We have this illusion that the Hawks (like every other NFL team) treat these guys like sons -- like their own children -- but the harsh reality is that the Seahawks organization (just like every other NFL organization) is a business. They will turn the page and be on to the next great Seahawks safety faster than you can blink.

And the brutal truth is that a lot of fans ... are the exact same way. How far does their care and loyalty to a player truly go? Like ravens, they will find themselves moving on to the next shiny object just like that. Earl who? Oh yeah, you mean that safety who was good back in the day ... but who's next? A lot of fans are just like kids at Christmas time ... enamored by the amazing toy they just got ... until the next cool, amazing, awesome toy comes along. What was once indispensable now lies forgotten in the refuse pile.

So no, I completely get what Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman say regarding this matter ... and sadly, they are 100% right.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2b59b2o9 said:
You know ... I get it. I get all of the hurt feelings that a lot of fans carry when they hear stuff like this. I'm not forgetting or minimizing any of that ... but for those who feel that way, I would encourage you to put yourself in the place of the player for a second.

We hear commentators all the time say that the NFL stands for "Not For Long" and how true that really is. Teams and fans talk about "loving" players ... but how far does that love truly go? The brutal truth of the matter is that once Earl Thomas is no longer an elite player ... no longer worth the money that they are shelling out for him ... they will "kick him to the curb" (so to speak). They will put him out for recycling like yesterday's newspaper. We have this illusion that the Hawks (like every other NFL team) treat these guys like sons -- like their own children -- but the harsh reality is that the Seahawks organization (just like every other NFL organization) is a business. They will turn the page and be on to the next great Seahawks safety faster than you can blink.

And the brutal truth is that a lot of fans ... are the exact same way. How far does their care and loyalty to a player truly go? Like ravens, they will find themselves moving on to the next shiny object just like that. Earl who? Oh yeah, you mean that safety who was good back in the day ... but who's next? A lot of fans are just like kids at Christmas time ... enamored by the amazing toy they just got ... until the next cool, amazing, awesome toy comes along. What was once indispensable now lies forgotten in the refuse pile.

So no, I completely get what Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman say regarding this matter ... and sadly, they are 100% right.

Sure they are right, from their perspective. We are not them, cannot identify with them and have a completely different investment than them. It's the same for Sherman's tweets calling out fans for booing.

Players will be players and fans will judge them for it. The whole relationship is based on irrelevance.

And to be honest, if fans werent emotionally invested enough in the players to spend their 1000s of dollars on watching them play, they wouldn't care about ET's comments enough to make it an issue. However, they wouldn't care enough to make the value of the sport relevant either.

The athletes are well compensated for this, as well. So let's not make ET a victim here.

OP
OP
hawknation2017

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Some of us demand a slavish devotion from the players that we are unable to provide them because as soon as Earl Thomas suffers another serious injury or loses a step, we will be demanding his ouster from Seattle.

This is why I think Earl had no idea his comment would provoke such a strong reaction on social media. He was speaking to his reality as a player who could be cut or traded against his will at any time. He forgot to pretend to be our devoted slave.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
hawknation2017":s8eft5ps said:
Some of us demand a slavish devotion from the players that we are unable to provide them because as soon as Earl Thomas suffers another serious injury or loses a step, we will be demanding his ouster from Seattle.

This is why I think Earl had no idea his comment would provoke such a strong reaction on social media. He was speaking to his reality as a player who could be cut or traded against his will at any time. He forgot to pretend to be our devoted slave.

Oh come on... how much do indentured servants pull annually?

The relationship isnt equitable. They are overpaid. Fans are single minded. But it works. Expecting one to give is folly.

If the fans really cared about the players, they'd simply stop watching them hurt each other for the enjoyment of the masses. But that's not how it works. So asking one to suddenly "relate" to the other is omitting a key facet of the relationship.

OP
OP
hawknation2017

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2bhxlr7e said:
hawknation2017":2bhxlr7e said:

Oh come on... how much do indentured servants pull annually?

The relationship isnt equitable. They are overpaid. Fans are single minded. But it works. Expecting one to give is folly.

If the fans really cared about the players, they'd simply stop watching them hurt each other for the enjoyment of the masses. But that's not how it works. So asking one to suddenly "relate" to the other is omitting a key facet of the relationship.

They are paid based on how much revenue they generate. The point is that some fans expect more devotion from the players than they are able to offer in return. Earl can be traded or released at any time. If he gets hurt or loses a step, everyone will want him gone.

So part of the problem (at least as I see it) is this hypocrisy of expected devotion, like a husband who cheats on his wife but would never permit her to do the same. Another problem that is particular to us is our general inferiority complex as residents of Seattle and fans of a mid-market team that had never won a Super Bowl until Pete Carroll came along. We have seen many players leave. I think the best way to keep players is to support them and treat them well, and for the most part we do.