Carroll says Jared Allen deal still pending - ALLEN TO BEARS

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":33sy8b3t said:
In this case? Please do already. Those extension talks should be the priority anyway.
They most likely are priority

Just because something is a priority doesn't mean it gets done first. FO can multitask

jblaze

Reaction score
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Extensions are not time sensitive, they can be done anytime including during the next season if need be. Prudence dictates we figure out our FA situation with Allen and others before we spend the rest of our cap. Once we figure out Allen and if/when we grab a role playing OL or two, we are probably set at that point with the exception of the draft but you can estimate those salaries with certainty so those are known.

At that point you work on extensions. They know about how much it will take to extend Thomas (roughly 10m/yr) and Sherman (roughly 12m/yr) but the negotiations need to take place. Thomas won't be that big of a problem at all because he's set to count 5m against the cap with his old CBA deal this year anyways and if we extend him, his cap hit will likely be right around there for year 1 so it's a net neutral to the cap. Sherman on the other hand will be a huge bump and likely why we're still holding 15m in cap right now.

Both are certainly doable this offseason and I'd predict they do get done before training camp. JS/PC have made a lot of statements and they are standing by those statements by paying their own who work hard and show up. However, let's all exercise a little bit of patience right now, we're still early in the offseason.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jblaze":13kam1w3 said:
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Extensions are not time sensitive, they can be done anytime including during the next season if need be.

I disagree.

The longer we wait, the more leverage Earle and Sherm have. Now is the time;

- coming off of a feel good SB Championship
- everyone loves each other

If you wait until next off season, then other factors might come into play like a bad year forcing money to be more of an issue (no more hometown discount). But most importantly if you wait until next year this time both Earle and Sherm have more leverage because they're UFA's. Do it now while there's still plenty of time to work on the details so everyone's happy.

jblaze

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":27ge4155 said:
jblaze":27ge4155 said:
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Extensions are not time sensitive, they can be done anytime including during the next season if need be.

I disagree.

The longer we wait, the more leverage Earle and Sherm have. Now is the time;

- coming off of a feel good SB Championship
- everyone loves each other

If you wait until next off season, then other factors might come into play like a bad year forcing money to be more of an issue (no more hometown discount). But most importantly if you wait until next year this time both Earle and Sherm have more leverage because they're UFA's. Do it now while there's still plenty of time to work on the details so everyone's happy.

No one is saying wait until next offseason, that would be stupid. They'd be UFA's and would likely go out to market to see what they'd get elsewhere.

Thomas and Sherman are unique cases. They both want to be here and are homegrown organic products. They will be Seahawks, no doubt. You never let your 8's (NFL player rating scale) reach market.

You work to get Thomas extended this offseason and Sherman is secondary to that. There's an argument that you franchise him next offseason and work out a contract at that time or during the 2015 season.

They will never be UFA's but there are degrees of necessity. Thomas gets done soon, Sherman is a case you could argue is much less valuable and thus has to be prioritized as such. Thomas makes this defense go. We churn out CB's like crazy and PC is a DB coach at heart. There's a feeling around the league that our secondary is a system/scheme fit that you can plug and play into. The only requirement is Thomas with his range and ability to play cover 1 and play the entire field effectively. He is why Sherman can play trail coverage and go for the ball on every play.

I still think they get them both done this offseason. If you look at the cap and how much they've saved to this point by not going after anyone, it's clear they're trying to get them both done even with Allen signing.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
So retire because he doesn't get what he "thinks" he is worth, and turn down $6m?LOL comical.

Largent80

Reaction score
He may wait for weeks. By then it may or may not be too late depending on what the F.O. does with extending contracts, plus the draft will be here before we know it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":3fweqjfa said:
He may wait for weeks. By then it may or may not be too late depending on what the F.O. does with extending contracts, plus the draft will be here before we know it.

It's not too late because JS has already explained to Allen and his agent what their cap situation is in regards to extending contracts.

That's the holdup, we've told Allen that we can only pay him a certain amount because we have to reserve cap space for extending the big 3. Obviously Allen's holding out hoping another team jumps in to pay him the 10M he wants. But it ain't here.

jblaze

Reaction score
Diezel Dawg":3tozj10j said:
So retire because he doesn't get what he "thinks" he is worth, and turn down $6m?LOL comical.

Never underestimate the ego of professional athletes. Especially potential hall of famers who have been revered and have made 100m+ in contracts over his career.

They will stand on principle if they don't get what they want as opposed to being "disrespected" as they consider it. Remember Richard Seymour retired a couple of years ago in this exact same situation where he had sizeable offers but they weren't up to his expectations. It happens.

There's a lot more factors than just the money. His health, uprooting his family, reduced role as a situational pass rusher (60% of snaps perhaps when last year he had 90%), going to an established defense where you'll be one of many instead of "the man", etc, etc.

In my opinion, his apprehension isn't about the money, hell he's already filthy rich, I think he wants to play every down and climb the all time sack list. If he gets into the top 5, it's a hall of fame guarantee. He only needs 13 sacks to pass Strahan and get into the top 5. That's one good year for him. This is a legacy issue for him.

I still think he signs with us. Two trips shows he still wants to play and he's turning over every stone looking for the best opportunity but I think we're all he has left. My guess is 12m/2yrs, 6m apy, 6 guaranteed.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":17ito7oc said:
..... Obviously Allen's holding out hoping another team jumps in to pay him the 10M he wants. But it ain't here.
Agree with you, and it seems unlikely it'll be anywhere else. Looks like 6 per form the Hawks or retirement. John ain't blinkin' mullet-boy.

Atradees

Reaction score
I think its ego too. I am always excited by additions in the offseason though.

I would worry that alot of his production had to with the scheme and the way he was used.

The Vickies had some very good DT's for awhile. Given that, I would pass.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Diezel Dawg":2o8w4bm2 said:

That's what I've been saying this whole time. $6m is a whole lot more than ZERO. Not sure I get his reasoning here.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Schneider's quote today at the NFL meetings in Florida.

RT @MarcSesslerNFL Seahawks GM John Schneider told @NFL_ATL on Jared Allen 'I don't think the doors closed by any stretch of the imagination

I guess that's good news. But it also says Allen is in no hurry to decide anything. So holding pattern of speculation continues!

jblaze

Reaction score
HawkFan72":18c2ob5r said:
Diezel Dawg":18c2ob5r said:

That's what I've been saying this whole time. $6m is a whole lot more than ZERO. Not sure I get his reasoning here.

It's not that difficult to understand. He doesn't need the money, he's made over 100m in contracts so far, what's another 6m to his quality of life? Nothing. It's all the other considerations that matter here.

I understand that we as peons can't understand why 6m isn't reason enough, but if you've made 12m/year for the past 6 years and now you hit the market and the best you can get is 6m when you had a 10m/3 year offer from Denver a week before, that would bother you. It's all about perspective and perceived respect.

For some reasons fans get so hung up on the money when it's not always about that, especially when you've already banked a ton of cash and are playing out the last few years of your career.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jblaze":1uanwq46 said:
For some reasons fans get so hung up on the money when it's not always about that, especially when you've already banked a ton of cash and are playing out the last few years of your career.

See to me it's probably 80% about the money, and only 20% about playing in Seattle.

Just because you already have a bunch of money doesn't mean you don't have to justify putting yourself through another 2-3 brutal NFL seasons and putting in the work for less than you think you're worth.

Allen knows he'd love to play here, it's a great city, with a great team, with a coach that'll let him be his wild and crazy self.............so that leaves one thing that this is about. $$$$$

HawkFan72

Reaction score
jblaze":wdjo6nm8 said:
HawkFan72":wdjo6nm8 said:
Diezel Dawg":wdjo6nm8 said:

It's not that difficult to understand. He doesn't need the money, he's made over 100m in contracts so far, what's another 6m to his quality of life? Nothing. It's all the other considerations that matter here.

I understand that we as peons can't understand why 6m isn't reason enough, but if you've made 12m/year for the past 6 years and now you hit the market and the best you can get is 6m when you had a 10m/3 year offer from Denver a week before, that would bother you. It's all about perspective and perceived respect.

I get that. But when he says he is going to retire over the money issue it just sends a mixed message. "I'll play for $10m but not $6m. I'd rather have zero." Okay. If the money doesn't matter and you love the game, you play for $6m.

Same with the sacks issue. He wants to climb the all-time sacks list. But if the only offer he gets is a rotational role, he is going to retire. Last I checked, you'll get more sacks in a rotational role than you will sitting at home.

The logic just doesn't add up. You get some money and some sacks by playing. You get nothing if you retire. Either you want to play football or not.

I'm not even talking about signing with the Seahawks. If he goes somewhere else, at least it makes sense that he would choose to play SOMEWHERE rather than retiring. The whole retirement threat just is stupid to me because it would not allow him to meet any of his supposed goals (money and sacks).

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
HawkFan72":311fsj01 said:
jblaze":311fsj01 said:
HawkFan72":311fsj01 said:
Diezel Dawg":311fsj01 said:

I get that. But when he says he is going to retire over the money issue it just sends a mixed message. "I'll play for $10m but not $6m. I'd rather have zero." Okay. If the money doesn't matter and you love the game, you play for $6m.

Same with the sacks issue. He wants to climb the all-time sacks list. But if the only offer he gets is a rotational role, he is going to retire. Last I checked, you'll get more sacks in a rotational role than you will sitting at home.

The logic just doesn't add up. You get some money and some sacks by playing. You get nothing if you retire. Either you want to play football or not.

I'm not even talking about signing with the Seahawks. If he goes somewhere else, at least it makes sense that he would choose to play SOMEWHERE rather than retiring. The whole retirement threat just is stupid to me because it would not allow him to meet any of his supposed goals (money and sacks).
Ding Ding Ding!!!!!

SeahawksEast

Reaction score
Should there be a concern that if he accepts and offer that he feels is "beneath him", the Seahawks will not get the best of him? Will he only give $6mil worth of effort versus $10mil+.

Not to say he would be a malcontent, but at this point, you have to wonder if there would be negativity or other issues.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
SeahawksEast":2cqq78vo said:
Should there be a concern that if he accepts and offer that he feels is "beneath him", the Seahawks will not get the best of him? Will he only give $6mil worth of effort versus $10mil+.

Not to say he would be a malcontent, but at this point, you have to wonder if there would be negativity or other issues.

Pete would just cut him. He has proven he won't put up with that crap.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
SeahawksEast":iseqmly4 said:

If he isn't going to give full effort, he shouldn't sign. If he doesn't give full effort, I'm sure it will effect his playing time more. He has to understand that the Hawks are. Planning for the future and if we offer what he thinks he is worth, then it effects the core of our players. He will be a temporary fill for his skill level and age.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeahawksEast":2j80yg5f said:

I don't think that's a concern. Allen's one of the most stand up high motor character guys in the league, he's not going to play if he doesn't think he can give 100%.

That's the hold up, he's debating $$$ vs whether it's worth all the work.

Latest posts