Carroll says Jared Allen deal still pending - ALLEN TO BEARS

iigakusei

Reaction score
Wow....that is a lot of guaranteed coin for Allen. Oh well....there is NO way we were going to pay close to that.

kidhawk

Reaction score
theascension":2vn1ekmy said:
15.5M guaranteed according to cbssports. Lol really? I mean yes Allen is still great for his age, but imagining him having 3 10+ sack years is hard. I can see 2 but 35 as a DE is really pushing it.
Glad we stuck with our offer, it would have been really nice to have gotten him on a 1 year 6-7M deal but glad we didn't pay those numbers.

Let's lock down Sherm/E.T!

On some teams, Allen would be worth that, but for us he was a luxury, just like last year having Clemons, Avril & Bennett all on the same defense was a luxury. We can't afford luxuries anymore. Our first priority has to be keeping the core of this team together. I would have loved to see what our defense could have done with Allen on it, but I'm also glad we are being smart with our money and hopefully using it to re-sign our own

Kakaww

Reaction score
Gotta admit I'm a little disappointed that no notable free agents were signed and some of our guys got away. Guess it's up to our young guys, draft picks and diamond-in-the-rough FA pick ups. Hope they can continue working their magic and the team stays healthy.

On the up side, the FO didn't get swindled in a deal and we should have the coin to extend our superheroes.

Largent80

Reaction score
Kakaww":30rrrkq5 said:
Gotta admit I'm a little disappointed that no notable free agents were signed and some of our guys got away. Guess it's up to our young guys, draft picks and diamond-in-the-rough FA pick ups. Hope they can continue working their magic and the team stays healthy.

On the up side, the FO didn't get swindled in a deal and we should have the coin to extend our superheroes.

That avatar is one of the best ever...... :lol:

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Kakaww":ui4s0s3s said:

We need to get used to this kind of offseason. This is how the Packers operated for years (and still do for the most part), and it has helped them stay in contention for a long time. It's how John Schneider learned. They always preferred to reward their own guys for contributions to the team, preferred to stick with guys who were experienced in their systems rather than paying a guy for what he did in another system and for another team. They'd restock through the draft (including the regular compensatory picks) time and time again, allowing the middle-tier folks to seek fortune elsewhere and replacing them with guys who grew up in their system. All the while, saving money to reward their stars.

I know Schneider has said that he'll implement his own methodology, but I'd be surprised if it departed too much from the model above - especially since we are now in maintenance mode instead of building mode.

BC-Hawk

Reaction score
Jared Allen can go to hell. Two visits here and doesn't sign and then sits and twiddles his thumbs for 5 days only to eventually sign with another team. This pisses me off.

iigakusei

Reaction score
BC-Hawk":id0888ou said:
Jared Allen can go to hell. Two visits here and doesn't sign and then sits and twiddles his thumbs for 5 days only to eventually sign with another team. This pisses me off.

It shouldn't. It is just business. He wanted to make as much money as he could, nothing wrong with that. He didnt owe the Seahawks anything.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Well that was a lot of build-up for nothing.

Bears way overpaid. I'm relieved we didn't pay Allen that. I wasn't OK with anything over $6m a year on a 1 or 2 year deal.

I've been saying all along that his sacks last year were mostly coverage sacks. While he would get a lot here with our secondary, I don't want to pay a guy a lot of money that can't create his own (like Avril and Bennett can). We can get much cheaper alternatives that can get coverage sacks.

drdiags

Reaction score
Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero · 1h
Lance Briggs, Israel Idonije, Charles Tillman, Jared Allen, Jeremiah Ratliff, D.J. Williams, Kelvin Hayden, Tim Jennings all are 30+. #Bears

Not sure how the Bears can make the changes they need to the defense if they are going to shape it around a majority of over age 30 players. Maybe they are taking a page out of the old Sonny Jerguson's "Over the Hill Gang" Skins?

kidhawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":9l3kysau said:
Well that was a lot of build-up for nothing.

Bears way overpaid. I'm relieved we didn't pay Allen that. I wasn't OK with anything over $6m a year on a 1 or 2 year deal.

I've been saying all along that his sacks last year were mostly coverage sacks. While he would get a lot here with our secondary, I don't want to pay a guy a lot of money that can't create his own (like Avril and Bennett can). We can get much cheaper alternatives that can get coverage sacks.

I'm not sure the Bears overpaid. I had his value at between $7 and $8 million, and the Bears have him at $7.75 for the next 2 years. I think they made a fair offer at the upper end of his value. An offer, we couldn't match because we didn't have a NEED to fill. He'd have been a luxury. I will be smiling about this even more after we get the Sherman/Thomas extensions done

HawkFan72

Reaction score

James in PA

Reaction score
Thanks for wasting our time, mullet boy. I guess the money was more important than a real shot at a Superbowl ring. Chicago isnt going to the big game anytime soon.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
HawkFan72":15gauy2i said:
Here's the real reason Allen isn't a Seahawk.

Sources also said that Allen’s wife was not enamored with Seattle in her two visits here and didn’t like the city. Really? Maybe she was here on a couple of typical, rainy and gray winter days, but enjoy those winters in Chicago.

http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/5164/jared-allen-got-the-better-offer-he-wanted

Reports were she visited one time and it was a really nice day if I remember correctly. I call BS. He made that up.

MVP53

Reaction score
BC-Hawk":c3uvuao9 said:

Umm, he probably took a few extra days because he was in negotiations with Chicago. He signed a MUCH better deal than Seattle was offering. I'm not sure what would piss you off about that, other than the fact he's not going to be a Seahawk.

Latest posts