Carroll suggests Seahawks don't need to upgrade O-line

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
If you fall off a cliff and land at the bottom you have nowhere to go but up. If this line is kept intact, the good news is that they can't be any worse. Can they? :180670: The experience they gained from this year alone should help tremendously. Two rookies started. If they have two rookies start again next year that at least have collegiate experience they won't be as green, raw and inexperienced as this year.

I think one guy that we can count on being out of the mix is Bradley Sowell. Whatever he may have brought to the table is less than a guy who hadn't started on an o-line since junior h.s. Think about that for a minute. Sowell played on the line in college, was drafted as an o-lineman, played the position on 2 professional teams, yet was so bad that a guy who not only wasn't drafted, didn't play college football nor HS football beat him out and relegated him to the inactive list most games.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
flmmkrz":2m06xq0c said:
good god, if Pete was 100% on the level with everything he's said in the last couple days...our oline isn't changing our offense isn't changing, our coordinators aren't changing and somehow we're supposed to be drastically better....maybe senility has finally hit Pete. The stress of the season broke him lol Petes a master troll, he and JS have a plan and they'll reveal it on their own time frame.

Or maybe he's having a hard time looking down on 11-6-1 and another division title.

HawaiiD

Reaction score
Start with signing Ronald Leary I'd say.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Hawks46

Reaction score
It's a good thing most of us here aren't GM's.

So the OL two years ago was bad and folks here clamored "blow it up ! draft some guys in the 1st few rounds and just get a new OL". So we did, even sprinkled in a few veteran FA's, and ran into a new guy learning curve. Across almost every position on the OL at once.

So now, we hear "OMG'z the OL sucks, blow it up!" Errrr, ok that worked so well the first time.

Continuity is key and these guys need to learn the system, and each other. I'm not saying they're all elite but there's a lot of potential there.

Also heard on .NET:

Richardson is a bust.
Britt is a bust.
Reed is a bust.
Frank Clark is a bust.

Oh, and by the way, Kam Chancellor and Richard Sherman neither one started their rookie years. Sometimes it takes a minute for players to develop.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Hawks46":17dx2srx said:

So the OL two years ago was bad and folks here clamored "blow it up ! draft some guys in the 1st few rounds and just get a new OL". So we did, even sprinkled in a few veteran FA's, and ran into a new guy learning curve. Across almost every position on the OL at once.

So now, we hear "OMG'z the OL sucks, blow it up!" Errrr, ok that worked so well the first time.

Continuity is key and these guys need to learn the system, and each other. I'm not saying they're all elite but there's a lot of potential there.

Also heard on .NET:

Richardson is a bust.
Britt is a bust.
Reed is a bust.
Frank Clark is a bust.

Oh, and by the way, Kam Chancellor and Richard Sherman neither one started their rookie years. Sometimes it takes a minute for players to develop.
I don't think anybody is saying blow it up. They are saying get a new coach. And a tackle or two.

Foghawk

Reaction score
I didn't think an NFL OL could be as bad as ours was at times this past season. That being said, as has been mentioned by a few posters, you roll this seasons OL into the next season. Bring in some competition from where ever you can find it, draft or FA. It would be nice to pick up at least one mediocre Tackle in FA but a lot of other teams are thinking the same thing. Either way, the OL will be improved to some degree next season.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
FWIW in the same interview Pete stressed how the competition montra includes the coaching staff, and the importance of adapting/evolving. We'll see where it all goes.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":104gvn8q said:
FWIW in the same interview Pete stressed how the competition montra includes the coaching staff, and the importance of adapting/evolving. We'll see where it all goes.

I wonder how it applies to coaching. Do they bring in other OCs and have them call plays on practice days and the one who can call the most bubble screens gets to stay OC?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Foghawk":4lqxnm91 said:
I didn't think an NFL OL could be as bad as ours was at times this past season. That being said, as has been mentioned by a few posters, you roll this seasons OL into the next season. Bring in some competition from where ever you can find it, draft or FA. It would be nice to pick up at least one mediocre Tackle in FA but a lot of other teams are thinking the same thing. Either way, the OL will be improved to some degree next season.
And we will get another season where our QB and every running ack on the active roster injured. Learn from your mistakes or repeat them.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3az5z8t2 said:
flmmkrz":3az5z8t2 said:
good god, if Pete was 100% on the level with everything he's said in the last couple days...our oline isn't changing our offense isn't changing, our coordinators aren't changing and somehow we're supposed to be drastically better....maybe senility has finally hit Pete. The stress of the season broke him lol Petes a master troll, he and JS have a plan and they'll reveal it on their own time frame.

Or maybe he's having a hard time looking down on 11-6-1 and another division title.

If he's content with meekly bowing out of the playoffs and patting himself on the back for a division title instead of looking to improve then he probably should hang it up. I doubt Belichek after losing in the playoffs isn't turning over every stone to see what could've been done better. I believe Pete is doing that as well. I don't think he's content with a playoff loss and a division title, he wants that championship and he doesn't need to come onto the radio and tell us what his real thoughts are and what the teams leaning towards doing, that'll unveil itself in time.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Hawks46":2g18o3pj said:

Also heard on .NET:

Richardson is a bust.
Britt is a bust.
Reed is a bust.
Frank Clark is a bust.

This is not the first season with an underperforming Oline. This is however, the first offseason the FO is using "continuity" as a defense. It's weak an disingenuous considering this team has been blowing up and rebuilding the front five the whole PC era. I'll believe the higher ups want continuity when they start resigning linemen.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Hope this is more of a head fake by Pete. A couple new/experiences faces on that O-Line could do wonders for the offense.

And if Pete is serious about keeping the O-line status-quo, RW needs to finally start demanding different.

He needs to throw some elbows at the organization. Players will respond to that. Right now, he's generally liked by most the guys, but not really respected, and certainly not feared, IMO.

He's nearing 30. He's a veteran QB. He's making a ton of $$$.

A little demanding arrogance on his part would be fine by me.

pmedic920

Reaction score
We all have a wish list.
OL is on mine as close to the top as I can put it.

Personally I don't put much stock in this.
I could have a nervous breakdown trying to speculate.

I also don't believe that Pete is going to advertise his wish list.

I'm going to wait and see how things go. Better for my health:{)

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
Extremely disappointing. While there's probably some truth that the line should get a bit better just by gaining some experience, we need some personnel upgrades.

I'd personally like to see us get a mid-level solid veteran (maybe someone in the 10 millionish range) and also use our first or second rounder to add a top propsect. If we do this, combined with our current line getting more experience, we should be okay.

I'm not necessarily advocating getting rid of any of the 5 starters as much as just bringing in more experience and competition and let things unfold how they will. I'd like to see decisions like going with Fant and Gilliam at tackle being made strategically rather than because we have no other options.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
The beef I have with this is that their was no noticeable improvement throughout the year. maybe they make a magic leap . . . I am expecting more garbage.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Foghawk":31kzki6c said:
Precisely

I think they'll reevaluate at OTAs and minicamp. Size up the returnees who show a drive to succeed and weed out any slackers. Because our offensive line is paramount to finding that desired balance we seek on offense and preserving Russell's health.

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
Hawks46":10gvtwbt said:

What free agents (not including other team's rejects)?

I agree we shouldn't "blow it up", but that line needs an upgrade in overall skill, experience, and just competition (I feel like we went with Fant basically by default, not necessarily because we felt he was ready). Add 2 solid pieces and I think it will be fine.

Lanakila

Reaction score
JimmyG":wvsl6u88 said:
Who cares what Pete/John say at press conferences? They gain nothing by being honest and transparent. Of course he's going to be encouraging and try to build up the confidence of his players. He's not going to publicly throw his players under the bus, he's just being politically correct. It's silly to get worked up by what he says or to think it's indicative of their real plans.

Imagine your employer publicly saying you're not good enough. Think of how much drama and resentment that would breed.

This. I think Pete disdains media and all the gossip it generates. He like Wilson; he says a lot without saying anything.It's the safest route.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Get at least 1 decent OT in FA or the draft and I could agree with it. Britt is an at least average center who knows the system well. Glow and Ifedi have been improving all year and should develop into decent starting guards.

Schadie001

Reaction score
Listen to about min 14:42 in the press conference he is talking specifically about the Oline. He said " ...We are going to work very hard in the off season to make sure those spots are competitive. We are NOT going to rest on anything or set back and think oh we got this now...The are opportunities of course in the draft and free agency and all of that."

Not sure how anyone got that our Pete thinks our Oline is good. Not what I just quoted him saying.