Carroll suggests Seahawks don't need to upgrade O-line

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Every "expert analyst" in the country can easily see that the Seahawks #1 need is OL help. PC's post season started right after the playoff loss, and we all know PC keeps player acquisition stuff close to his vest. PC also has been known to say stuff to not give clues to other teams as to where they are going in FA as well as in the draft. Miss Direction!!!!

If the Seahawks brass really want to go OL in the first rounds of the draft, say for OT-Bolles, et.al. why would they confirm that to the other teams? Might be better to keep the other teams guessing as to their true intentions.

mrt144

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":6kev4fr3 said:
Every "expert analyst" in the country can easily see that the Seahawks #1 need is OL help. PC's post season started right after the playoff loss, and we all know PC keeps player acquisition stuff close to his vest. PC also has been known to say stuff to not give clues to other teams as to where they are going in FA as well as in the draft. Miss Direction!!!!

If the Seahawks brass really want to go OL in the first rounds of the draft, say for OT-Bolles, et.al. why would they confirm that to the other teams? Might be better to keep the other teams guessing as to their true intentions.

This presupposes that 31 other NFL teams are run by idiots who use press conference sound bites to inform themselves of likely outcomes of opposing teams. It's only about half that. ;)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The thread title is incorrect.

Pete didn't say we don't need to upgrade the O-line, he said they're offensive philosophy is not to throw a bunch of money at high priced free agents to fix the line. They're philosophy is to draft well and develop.

Has it worked? No.

Another example of Pete not willing to change his ways, cause IMO FA is exactly where we should be looking at upgrading the tackles. Because it takes years to develop a good tackle, even if drafted well.

How many dudes now have we drafted as tackles and had to move them to guard cause they couldn't cut it? Idk, I've lost count.

razor150

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1dp9g5h6 said:
How many dudes now have we drafted as tackles and had to move them to guard cause they couldn't cut it? Idk, I've lost count.

Yes, but how many of those were actually projected as Tackles in the NFL? I know Carpenter & Odhiambo weren't, and I don't think Britt was either. Don't remember about Ifedi, though I think he was just called raw.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
razor150":f0lm4wip said:
Sgt. Largent":f0lm4wip said:

Yes, but how many of those were actually projected as Tackles in the NFL? I know Carpenter & Odhiambo weren't, and I don't think Britt was either. Don't remember about Ifedi, though I think he was just called raw.

Pete's presser on Ifedi shows him saying he's excited about Ifedi playing tackle. Same with Carpenter when he was drafted.

Every high lineman pick was suppose to play tackle, and as soon as they got to camp the player gets immediately moved o guard? what?

Largent80

Reaction score
One could almost include Glowinski into the rookies this year because this was his first year as a starter.

Considering both guards were rookies and Britt was a rookie at playing center, I see the interior of our line improving next season. Our problems are at the tackles and at the right price would consider bringing back Okung for the LT position. Gilliam is a F.A. and his play was dreadful / mediocre all year, so at both of those very important spots we will continue to have trouble because the money isn't there to hire an expensive F.A.

Odhiambo played 5 different spots without even being active for all the games and he is a good, young depth guy.

mrt144

Reaction score
Largent80":2dk0matp said:
One could almost include Glowinski into the rookies this year because this was his first year as a starter.

Considering both guards were rookies and Britt was a rookie at playing center, I see the interior of our line improving next season. Our problems are at the tackles and at the right price would consider bringing back Okung for the LT position. Gilliam is a F.A. and his play was dreadful / mediocre all year, so at both of those very important spots we will continue to have trouble because the money isn't there to hire an expensive F.A.

Odhiambo played 5 different spots without even being active for all the games and he is a good, young depth guy.

That safety though.

Largent80

Reaction score
^ yeah, an inadvertent step on a guys foot negates a years worth of play and experience?

Sorry, but NO.

Jville

Reaction score
Largent80":1eg2ik15 said:
^ yeah, an inadvertent step on a guys foot negates a years worth of play and experience?

Sorry, but NO.

Ifedi stepped on Russell's foot as well in the previous game. And, unlike Ohdiambo, Ifedi played exclusively on the right side all year long.

They're rookies ....... and those were one play among many.

They are growing one play at a time.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2lsquxwp said:
Between this and the "fans don't know what they're talking about regarding Bevell" stuff, I'm almost ready to consider Pete being allowed to go. If he underachieves next year with this team, I'll be on that bandwagon.

Wow Really?

Be careful what you wish for. Few are the teams that dump a successful head coach only to get better. You only need to look at Jed York's team to see how sad things can get in a hurry.

The day Pete is shown the door will be a sad one for the franchise.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3qxmunpx said:

Pete didn't say we don't need to upgrade the O-line, he said they're offensive philosophy is not to throw a bunch of money at high priced free agents to fix the line. They're philosophy is to draft well and develop.

Has it worked? No.

Another example of Pete not willing to change his ways, cause IMO FA is exactly where we should be looking at upgrading the tackles. Because it takes years to develop a good tackle, even if drafted well.

Oh we are way past those old mistakes now! The magic formula has now progressed to switching from a power forward to tackle. :3-1:

Largent80

Reaction score
And a power forward that had not played football since the 8th grade beat out the free agent tackles that had nfl experience that were hired. It just goes to show how hard it is to find, develop and retain said players.

AND that throwing gobs of money at vets is NOT the way to go.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawkfannj":3lw47j5d said:
This is a huge mistake. It would seem we are banking once again on RW wheels to get us out of a jam .sooner or later it's gonna happen bam RWs lights turned out then what you gonna do.
LOL What the hell does Pete know about Football. :roll:

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
scutterhawk":227z0ule said:
hawkfannj":227z0ule said:
This is a huge mistake. It would seem we are banking once again on RW wheels to get us out of a jam .sooner or later it's gonna happen bam RWs lights turned out then what you gonna do.
LOL What the hell does Pete know about Football. :roll:

Doesn't mean he doesn't make mistakes. He should be called out when he does.

razor150

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1lci18dl said:
razor150":1lci18dl said:
Sgt. Largent":1lci18dl said:

Pete's presser on Ifedi shows him saying he's excited about Ifedi playing tackle. Same with Carpenter when he was drafted.

Every high lineman pick was suppose to play tackle, and as soon as they got to camp the player gets immediately moved o guard? what?

I agree that it doesn't make sense. Just pointing out that they seem to be picking the wrong people to be a Tackle. I think the only true tackle we've drafted was Okung, I don't think that it is a coincidence that it happened before Cable. Everybody else was projected to be a Guard, or someone who projects Guard who can play Tackle.

Anthony!

Reaction score
well if you listen to certain posters on the site its not the oline that is the problem its Wilson over half his sacks are evidently his fault. Maybe they will trade Wilson for a statue Qb and the oline will be great.

bighawk

Reaction score
This off season the linemen need to workout together and go through drills to work on the things like stunts and all the drills they do like Russell does with his receivers and tight ends.

hawk45

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":vqqacp0i said:

Has it worked? No.

So much this.

Gary Gilliam. George Fant. Those were our starting tackles. The prosecution rests.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
razor150":2l2zebmf said:
Sgt. Largent":2l2zebmf said:
razor150":2l2zebmf said:
Sgt. Largent":2l2zebmf said:

I agree that it doesn't make sense. Just pointing out that they seem to be picking the wrong people to be a Tackle. I think the only true tackle we've drafted was Okung, I don't think that it is a coincidence that it happened before Cable. Everybody else was projected to be a Guard, or someone who projects Guard who can play Tackle.

This is my entire point. Pete can't tell me that they're philosophy is not to spend money on O-lineman in FA and then be a terrible team at developing them too.

What sense does that make. OK your philosophy isn't to spend money on free agents, then YOU BETTER BE GOOD A DEVELOPING! NOT TERRIBLE AT BOTH!

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Jville":2aqqtkh4 said:
Largent80":2aqqtkh4 said:

Sorry, but NO.

Ifedi stepped on Russell's foot as well in the previous game. And, unlike Ohdiambo, Ifedi played exclusively on the right side all year long.

They're rookies ....... and those were one play among many.

They are growing one play at a time.

And the men who they are supposed to block for are being injured one play at a time.

Latest posts