Carroll tosses Michael Bennett out of practice

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I hope Carroll will toss him out of practice or games when Bennett decides to jump offsides too. He has horrific discipline where that is concerned and doesn't seem to have learned much as the season went on.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
hawkfan68":25xcuxzw said:
I hope Carroll will toss him out of practice or games when Bennett decides to jump offsides too. He has horrific discipline where that is concerned and doesn't seem to have learned much as the season went on.

They have come to a decision that the success Bennett has in anticipating the snap count outweighs the negatives of the occasional off-side penalty. Of course, Bennett has to continue to be smart about when he picks his moments, i.e. not on a critical 3rd and 5 or less.

dogorama

Reaction score
sc85sis":3rcdzej9 said:
dogorama":3rcdzej9 said:
"Michael Bennett is destroying the entire offensive line?" MB is good but he isn't that good, not really what I wanted to hear.
Whom are you quoting? I didn't see that in the article. The only previous reference I'd seen to Bennett and the o-line was that he got frustrated the other day when Ifedi held his own twice in one-on-one drills with Michael.

Edit: Just realized that must be something from the video at the top of the page. Can't watch it yet because I'm still at work.

I suspect that's a bit of hyperbole. Either way, I wouldn't worry too much after just one week of camp.

Yes, it's in the video and the reporter is VERY emphatic about it. And yes, I can go from relative calm to extreme panic in a heartbeat. Some of that is because I remember all the assurances Cable and PC gave us about the new-fangled O-Line last year. We all know how that turned out.

As for MB, I don't know what to make of it, hopefully nothing.

sc85sis

Reaction score
dogorama":1w6lwsuw said:
sc85sis":1w6lwsuw said:
dogorama":1w6lwsuw said:
"Michael Bennett is destroying the entire offensive line?" MB is good but he isn't that good, not really what I wanted to hear.
Whom are you quoting? I didn't see that in the article. The only previous reference I'd seen to Bennett and the o-line was that he got frustrated the other day when Ifedi held his own twice in one-on-one drills with Michael.

Edit: Just realized that must be something from the video at the top of the page. Can't watch it yet because I'm still at work.

I suspect that's a bit of hyperbole. Either way, I wouldn't worry too much after just one week of camp.

Yes, it's in the video and the reporter is VERY emphatic about it. And yes, I can go from relative calm to extreme panic in a heartbeat. Some of that is because I remember all the assurances Cable and PC gave us about the new-fangled O-Line last year. We all know how that turned out.

As for MB, I don't know what to make of it, hopefully nothing.
I won't be surprised of the offensive line struggles a bit for the first couple of games. Guys are new and/or playing in different spots, so it'd be practically a miracle if they didn't do so initially. It's actually good if Bennett is giving them fits right now—it can only make them better.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":16qfhzl0 said:
theincrediblesok":16qfhzl0 said:
I'm loving the attitude from Ifedi and Glowinski, we going to have some bad asses on the O-line this year.
Yep, it would be nice if the Offensive line got a LOB sized chip on their shoulders.

"Others doubt" can be a HUGE motivator when properly channeled.

That's all they need is a chip on there shoulder? No, what the need is talent and experience, a chip on their shoulder won't help them when the Rams are running around them and through them.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
CPHawk":2d74v8vv said:
Sports Hernia":2d74v8vv said:
theincrediblesok":2d74v8vv said:
I'm loving the attitude from Ifedi and Glowinski, we going to have some bad asses on the O-line this year.
Yep, it would be nice if the Offensive line got a LOB sized chip on their shoulders.

"Others doubt" can be a HUGE motivator when properly channeled.

That's all they need is a chip on there shoulder? No, what the need is talent and experience, a chip on their shoulder won't help them when the Rams are running around them and through them.
I agree, but for now it seems we may actually have the talent to be at least be average for the first time since 2012-13. And if you actually have some talent and a chip on your shoulder it helps exponentially. If Jahri Evans has anything left and we sign him for a year that is a game changer. On his worst day he's as good as Ifredi right now. Imagine Russell Wilson with an average center and above average guards...... it'd be over and the NFL would change or make more rules to try and stop the Seahawks.

Personally I have no clue why the Seahawks insist on building their offensive line from the outside in like typical instead of inside out like New Orleans the only other team with an elite quarterback 6'0"ish.

NINEster

Reaction score
12thbrah":qy5no13c said:
dogorama":qy5no13c said:
Hollandhawk":qy5no13c said:
Actually, he can be. I remember during super bowl 49 he was in Brady's face all day just being a one man wrecking crew.

oops...meant to quote dogarama

He played good but "remember" Brady also came back from a 10-point deficit with two TD drives to win the game.

Brady didn't win the game more the Seahawks lost the game on their last offensive play. Nuff said

Divine Intervention put the balls in Kearse's hands.

Hawks win that game and it's up there with Tyree.

People only remember Tyree because the Giants won that game.

NINEster

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":140whgjm said:
Imagine Russell Wilson with an average center and above average guards...... it'd be over and the NFL would change or make more rules to try and stop the Seahawks.

Wilson is an anomaly QB.

No other QB I've ever seen looks better with an instantaneous pass rush off the edge than him. It makes sense of course when you have the physical ability to dodge a free rusher.....now that space vacated by him is a great place to step up and throw from.

His OL and his height contribute to being a bit of a sandlot QB. But he also seeks it out on his own a bit too much, to the detriment of his pocket game.

If Wilson was a surgeon from the pocket, it would be a problem for the league. Put another way, if Brady had 80% of Wilson mobility it would be scary.

But as it stands right now there are only 6-7 surgeons playing QB in the NFL:

Thomas
Aaron
Benjamin
Eli
Philip
Drew
Tony

The rest are QBs dependent on good support or ability to extend plays (Romo might be fringe on this one).

Time is good for all QBs, but it doesn't have the same exponential affect for everyone.

I felt that Cam Newton had the best OL last year right up until the Super Bowl. He had an awesome season because of it, but when the pass rush came hard he didn't look so awesome anymore.

Takes time to get on that above list.

themunn

Reaction score
dogorama":1v5crob8 said:

He really is that good - second half of last season he was a one-man wrecking ball. The NFL top 100 segment had guys saying that in their opinion he's as good as JJ Watt

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
NINEster":1hggd8qx said:
MizzouHawkGal":1hggd8qx said:
Imagine Russell Wilson with an average center and above average guards...... it'd be over and the NFL would change or make more rules to try and stop the Seahawks.

Wilson is an anomaly QB.

No other QB I've ever seen looks better with an instantaneous pass rush off the edge than him. It makes sense of course when you have the physical ability to dodge a free rusher.....now that space vacated by him is a great place to step up and throw from.

His OL and his height contribute to being a bit of a sandlot QB. But he also seeks it out on his own a bit too much, to the detriment of his pocket game.

If Wilson was a surgeon from the pocket, it would be a problem for the league. Put another way, if Brady had 80% of Wilson mobility it would be scary.

But as it stands right now there are only 6-7 surgeons playing QB in the NFL:

Thomas
Aaron
Benjamin
Eli
Philip
Drew
Tony

The rest are QBs dependent on good support or ability to extend plays (Romo might be fringe on this one).

Time is good for all QBs, but it doesn't have the same exponential affect for everyone.

I felt that Cam Newton had the best OL last year right up until the Super Bowl. He had an awesome season because of it, but when the pass rush came hard he didn't look so awesome anymore.

Takes time to get on that above list.

That's all great except you need to stop reading Prisco.

http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-se...umbers-behind-russell-wilsons-historic-season

118.6 -- Wilson's passer rating on throws from inside the pocket. Not only was that the top mark among this year's group, but no quarterback in the past three seasons has posted a higher number. Wilson completed 72.8 percent of his passes, averaged 8.75 yards per attempt and tossed 31 touchdowns against seven interceptions when he stayed in the pocket. Since Week 11, the numbers are 77.8 percent, 9.90 YPA, 22 touchdowns and one interception. That equates to a passer rating of 145.1. Regardless of what happens in the playoffs, this will be one of the most important things to come out of the 2015 season for the Seahawks. When Wilson has time to sit back in the pocket, he can pick defenses apart. He's shown that ability in the past, but never at such a high level, and it's made the Seahawks extremely tough to defend. If opponents want to try to stay disciplined with their pass rushes and not allow Wilson to scramble, he's perfectly content to hang tight, survey the field and deliver on-target all game long.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
hawknation2016":171fzmab said:
hawkfan68":171fzmab said:

They have come to a decision that the success Bennett has in anticipating the snap count outweighs the negatives of the occasional off-side penalty. Of course, Bennett has to continue to be smart about when he picks his moments, i.e. not on a critical 3rd and 5 or less.

One thing I noticed about Bennett jumping offsides, is that he tends to try to jump back when he realizes he's jumped early. Yet, he (almost) never makes it back in time, which draws an offsides penalty and gives the offense a free play. And in most of those instances, he's jumping back as they snap the ball, which makes it almost impossible for him to get any pressure, which means the opposing QB has a free play while our best pass rusher is neutralized. And that killed us several times last season.

I'm no expert, but it seems like they should be telling Bennett not to jump back, and to just take an encroachment penalty or make sure he can get pressure on the QB if he hasn't made contact before the snap.

Boycie

Reaction score
dogorama":1fibisj0 said:
Hollandhawk":1fibisj0 said:
Actually, he can be. I remember during super bowl 49 he was in Brady's face all day just being a one man wrecking crew.

He played good but "remember" Brady also came back from a 10-point deficit with two TD drives to win the game.

That was after Avril went down.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
hawknation2016":1lalvcsl said:
"Preseason jawing is completely normal, and in some cases acceptable as a team-building exercise. But for the oldest coach in the league, Bennett's yapping -- on and off the field -- had gone on long enough without repercussions."

Does the writer of this article know anything else about Pete Carroll other than his age? ...This has NOTHING to do with anything off-the-field with Bennett.
That was exactly my thought when I read that article.

For some reason, it seems like all the writing at NFL.com has gotten really crappy lately.

olyfan63

Reaction score
NINEster":3jqbja0i said:

Ace_Rimmer":3jqbja0i said:
dogorama":3jqbja0i said:
Hollandhawk":3jqbja0i said:

Ace, beat me to it. Avril going out (with concussion, I believe) was what facilitated the Pats comeback.
Avril + Bennett = legit pass rush.
(Avril + Bennett) - Avril = Bennett double-teamed = minimal pass rush = Brady gets to do his thing.
Recall how Denver's pass rush pressure in the AFC Championship totally messed up Brady.

NINESter, Totally, Kearse's catch was one for the ages, and would have been the Tyree-esque highlight for decades.

One play fudged that up. What irony the guy truly responsible for that play (Browner, not so much Butler) is back with the Seahawks. And Kearse was the guy who didn't deliver on that play, failing to pick Browner, but in all fairness, he shouldn't have been asked to take out Browner.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I suspect this has been coming for a bit and MB has been warned to dial back the post-play interactions. The 'tossed out of practice' comment seems a bit more dramatic than it was as he was sent to sidelines.

I like the fact that both Ifedi and Glowinski don't take any crap from MB, but in the end, these guys are on the same team and their differences can be resolved w/o a fight.

razor150

Reaction score
olyfan63":1yngjcsk said:
NINEster":1yngjcsk said:

Ace_Rimmer":1yngjcsk said:
dogorama":1yngjcsk said:
Hollandhawk":1yngjcsk said:

Ace, beat me to it. Avril going out (with concussion, I believe) was what facilitated the Pats comeback.
Avril + Bennett = legit pass rush.
(Avril + Bennett) - Avril = Bennett double-teamed = minimal pass rush = Brady gets to do his thing.
Recall how Denver's pass rush pressure in the AFC Championship totally messed up Brady.

NINESter, Totally, Kearse's catch was one for the ages, and would have been the Tyree-esque highlight for decades.

One play fudged that up. What irony the guy truly responsible for that play (Browner, not so much Butler) is back with the Seahawks. And Kearse was the guy who didn't deliver on that play, failing to pick Browner, but in all fairness, he shouldn't have been asked to take out Browner.

Exactly, with Avril and Bennett getting good pressure against Brady, Brady had clearly become rattled and skittish in the pocket. Once Avril was out we had no pass rush and Brady carved up our defense like any QB should do in that situation, especially when facing a secondary riddled with injuries.

dogorama

Reaction score
themunn":2bvixrqt said:
dogorama":2bvixrqt said:

He really is that good - second half of last season he was a one-man wrecking ball. The NFL top 100 segment had guys saying that in their opinion he's as good as JJ Watt

Listen, I love MB as much as anyone but you really are getting carried away here. The post wasn't meant to disparage MB as much as it was to wonder how bad/good this OL is. MB had a great year last year but no, sorry, he is no JJ Watt and he would be the first to tell you that. http://football-players.pointafter.com/ ... s-J-J-Watt

kearly

Reaction score
ADB has become AMB. Angry Michael Bennett.

Good thing he plays lights out when angry.