Carson is a good back but

hawk45

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1ck6qs25 said:
West TX Hawk":1ck6qs25 said:
This thread is garbage—What the hell do people expect, to have Walter Payton back there for us? Carson’s run already for 3 100 yard games but people are bitching because he’s not Melvin Gordon or Laveon Bell?? Yes it’s unfortunate he’s missed 1 1/2 games this year but for people to whine because he hasn’t broken a 70 yarder is absurd.

With limited carries, he’s ran for 457, 4.4 this year. Lynch spoiled many of you-trust me it could be a lot worse. Of the problems with this team, Carson ain’t one of them.

Carson isn’t the problem. The coaching staff and usage of their running backs is a problem. Penny needs to be1A, Carson 1B, and Davis out of the rotation. Hawks need to see how the Saints rotate their 1A/1B. As I have said plenty of times.... Carson is Marion Barber, Tim Hightower, Chris Ivory type.... type that can’t sustain weekly with that amount of abuse. He has shown it throughout his college and NFL career.
Yeah Penny looked great as 1A the first two weeks.

LOL at the problem being we don't feature penny mr down-on-first-contact enough.

Atradees

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1yqef2a4 said:
Pretty much. As good as Carson is, he's not game changing. He's a solid B+ back that paired with a good to great QB can make things happen. It reminds me that I'd much prefer having a Leveon Bell, Melvin Gordon, etc. plus Wilson.

That said, we lost today because we were afraid to switch gears to pass first. Running the ball in the 4th down 2 scores, idiotic

Too one dimentional. Gus just knew we were alwaays running on first down and stacked the box. We ran so much all they had to do was play from 5 yards off the line. predictable. lame offense.

mistaowen

Reaction score
hawk45":28kqwowq said:
ImTheScientist":28kqwowq said:
West TX Hawk":28kqwowq said:
This thread is garbage—What the hell do people expect, to have Walter Payton back there for us? Carson’s run already for 3 100 yard games but people are bitching because he’s not Melvin Gordon or Laveon Bell?? Yes it’s unfortunate he’s missed 1 1/2 games this year but for people to whine because he hasn’t broken a 70 yarder is absurd.

With limited carries, he’s ran for 457, 4.4 this year. Lynch spoiled many of you-trust me it could be a lot worse. Of the problems with this team, Carson ain’t one of them.

Carson isn’t the problem. The coaching staff and usage of their running backs is a problem. Penny needs to be1A, Carson 1B, and Davis out of the rotation. Hawks need to see how the Saints rotate their 1A/1B. As I have said plenty of times.... Carson is Marion Barber, Tim Hightower, Chris Ivory type.... type that can’t sustain weekly with that amount of abuse. He has shown it throughout his college and NFL career.
Yeah Penny looked great as 1A the first two weeks.

LOL at the problem being we don't feature penny mr down-on-first-contact enough.

Penny can't make anyone miss and runs slower through holes than a FB would at this point. He lost kick return duties where you're just supposed to run quickly for what you get and he couldn't do that.

OP
OP
TreeRon

TreeRon

Reaction score
Mad Dog":36pyxu6o said:
Melvin Gordon sucked his first year too. Give Penny a bit of time.

True enough.

update: I just read an article on Gordon. He was overweight his 1st year and changed his diet. Penny: are you listening???

mistaowen

Reaction score
TreeRon":s2kujvrr said:
Mad Dog":s2kujvrr said:

True enough.

Melvin's problem was fumbling. He still put up some good games, talent was never an issue.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Geez last week Carson was an emerging star in this league.

Today he's a apparently a complimentary back at best.

Can we at least try and be more consistent? I mean I get the ups and downs from week to week, but cmon.... :lol:

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Jerhawk":3582y7pu said:
nwHawk":3582y7pu said:
Too bad Penny didn't get more run after Carson went out. Davis just does ooze starter punch. We don't really know what Penny is at this point.

We know Penny shouldn't be returning kicks.

If he returns one more kickoff this season, I'm going to lose it.
It seriously looks like he's not pressing the sprint button.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1wf4c2jf said:

Can we at least try and be more consistent? I mean I get the ups and downs from week to week, but cmon.... :lol:

True. Carson is a beast.

He's also a RB in the NFL.

What's the career span average at that position? About 3 seasons?

It's multiple car wrecks for those guys every game.

chris98251

Reaction score
I would venture to think that with Carson dinged they were not going to put Penny in a position to get injured, secondly Pete needs to have a heart to heart with the kid. It's not about speed or talent in my mind. It's mental toughness or willingness to just let his gifts work for him rather then think to much.

Penny does need to get his bad ass attitude working for him to step up his game, I don't know who could mentor him with that, Davis maybe but they are competing for the same playing time. But that is what separates Davis from Penny as well, Davis runs with attitude and angry. Penny is just doing a job so to speak.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Hawkpower":23o0n8l4 said:

Carson is a great back. His issue is he has struggled with injuries his whole NCAA, and NFL career. That was one of the reasons why he went in the 7th round. His talent, and ability are undeniable.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
chris98251":2vey4ezv said:
I would venture to think that with Carson dinged they were not going to put Penny in a position to get injured, secondly Pete needs to have a heart to heart with the kid. It's not about speed or talent in my mind. It's mental toughness or willingness to just let his gifts work for him rather then think to much.

Penny does need to get his bad ass attitude working for him to step up his game, I don't know who could mentor him with that, Davis maybe but they are competing for the same playing time. But that is what separates Davis from Penny as well, Davis runs with attitude and angry. Penny is just doing a job so to speak.
Penny needs to be red-shirted for the rest of this season in my opinion. The guy doesn't look ready for the NFL, and he needs to focus on his strength conditioning in the off-season. He is clearly overweight, I think he needs to be playing closer to his combine weight. Some guys can get away with carrying the extra bulk, but it is becoming abundantly clear that Penny is not one of those guys.

I don't think his inability to break tackles come from a place of mentality either. He runs upright, and doesn't look very balanced. From the moment he starts running it looks like London Bridge is about to be falling down. Against the Rams there was a run I was absolutely flabbergasted by. It ended up being a 5 yard run but it should have been at least a 25. The line parted like the redsea and our blockers got to the second level. Penny was a bit slow to take the hole, and when he got into it there was one guy that had his momentum carrying him away from Penny, and behind Penny. This Rams player reaches behind from an awkward position as his momentum was carrying him forward. He gets one hand on Penny, and gives him a tiny love tap. He is then tripped up, and brought down by a single armed tackle from an odd position.

That kind of tackle does not happen to most NFL backs. Most backs would have just shrugged it off or high stepped. Penny's balance is not very good, and it's been a reoccurring theme with these small taps, and pushes being enough to bring him down. I have a feeling that even if he had a fire, and drive to run like a freight train that he wouldn't able to until he gets his lower body squared away.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2ku9f74j said:
chris98251":2ku9f74j said:

Penny needs to be red-shirted for the rest of this season in my opinion. The guy doesn't look ready for the NFL, and he needs to focus on his strength conditioning in the off-season. He is clearly overweight, I think he needs to be playing closer to his combine weight. Some guys can get away with carrying the extra bulk, but it is becoming abundantly clear that Penny is not one of those guys.

I don't think his inability to break tackles come from a place of mentality either. He runs upright, and doesn't look very balanced. From the moment he starts running it looks like London Bridge is about to be falling down. Against the Rams there was a run I was absolutely flabbergasted by. It ended up being a 5 yard run but it should have been at least a 25. The line parted like the redsea and our blockers got to the second level. Penny was a bit slow to take the hole, and when he got into it there was one guy that had his momentum carrying him away from Penny, and behind Penny. This Rams player reaches behind from an awkward position as his momentum was carrying him forward. He gets one hand on Penny, and gives him a tiny love tap. He is then tripped up, and brought down by a single armed tackle from an odd position.

That kind of tackle does not happen to most NFL backs. Most backs would have just shrugged it off or high stepped. Penny's balance is not very good, and it's been a reoccurring theme with these small taps, and pushes being enough to bring him down. I have a feeling that even if he had a fire, and drive to run like a freight train that he wouldn't able to until he gets his lower body squared away.

Horrible analysis tbh. He was at 4.7ypc till they missed a block on his th carry.

quadsas

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":qrsr6zhx said:
Spin Doctor":qrsr6zhx said:
chris98251":qrsr6zhx said:

Horrible analysis tbh. He was at 4.7ypc till they missed a block on his th carry.

Your analysis is even worse. He had 4.7 on 3 carries lmao.

Speaking of Carson, if he can somehow stay healthy, I don't even wanna see another back in the game, let it be prime Melvin or Gurley or Bell or whoever. I think he has already proven to be able to carry the 'feature back' label. In fact I think we have no chance to make the playoffs if he doesn't play, the dude is just too good

OP
OP
TreeRon

TreeRon

Reaction score
"Speaking of Carson, if he can somehow stay healthy, I don't even wanna see another back in the game, let it be prime Melvin or Gurley or Bell or whoever."

Really??? You think Carson is in the same league as Gurley, Melvin and Bell? Carson's a good back but he's a tier below those guys.

quadsas

Reaction score
TreeRon":1k6k5z09 said:
"Speaking of Carson, if he can somehow stay healthy, I don't even wanna see another back in the game, let it be prime Melvin or Gurley or Bell or whoever."

Really??? You think Carson is in the same league as Gurley, Melvin and Bell? Carson's a good back but he's a tier below those guys.

We don't know if he actually isn't as good as them. You must be judging on name value and not actual play

Mad Dog

Reaction score
mistaowen":1jndn8se said:
TreeRon":1jndn8se said:
Mad Dog":1jndn8se said:

True enough.

Melvin's problem was fumbling. He still put up some good games, talent was never an issue.

654yds on 184 carries (3.5 yds/att) and 6 fumbles and a season ending knee injury his first year. Best game was 88 yds.

It was a bad first year. I'm sure Penny if given the opportunity could rush for 650 yds on 180 carries and fumble it 6 times. That's totally in his wheelhouse.