Chadiha writes a positive article about...Russell Wilson!?

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I have grown to really not care if people say Wilson is a "game manager", or that he can only win because our defense is awesome, or any other silly thing they might say. (Heck, on WebZone, there are people who claim they wouldn't put Wilson in the top half of NFL QB's -- they'd literally pick 16 QB's before they'd pick Wilson.) People are going to believe whatever stupid thing they choose to believe for whatever stupid reasons they choose.

And that means reality is going to sneak up on them and slap them. HARD. And that's really fun to watch.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Don't know if it's the fact RW is a short black qb or that he plays in Seattle that so many stupid fans choosing to be ignorant of his accomplishments. If Luck had done what RW did in Seattle he'd be KING of the NFL now.
I'm very curious to see if Manziel gets the Russell Wilson treatment next year. He plays a similar game but has a bigger following and is a media favorite.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":d7ulz01s said:
..........The media was just quicker to embrace Brady as a "winner" and forgive his lack of massive stats for three big reasons. First, his QB draft class was horrific. The media didn't have to eat so much crow because there wasn't much invested in Chad Pennington as a surefire Hall of Fame QB. In fact, the media was probably jumping at the opportunity to champion a young QB. Second, the NFL wasn't so pass happy and the gaudy statistics that dudes like Matt Stafford put up nowadays just weren't around. Third, Brady looked the part. He is tall, played a more conventional pocket QB game (rather than being a short run around Doug Flutie type - at least in the eyes of the media) and had some classic QB moments (leading the drive for game winning kick in his first SB). Russell hasn't had that signature performance yet. The biggest play in the NFCCG was Sherman's tip and he wasn't really a huge part of the Super Bowl win. Atlanta could have been it but we didn't pull that one through. Still, I am glad that this comparison is being made somewhere in the mainstream.
Big reason #4 Brady was more quickly embraced by the media......he plays in a large EAST COAST market. Those cities are far more important that Moss City, South Alaska.

As for signature moments, I agree but with a bit of a caveat: had Seattle held on to beat Atlanta last year he might already have it in the post season for that comeback. He certainly had it in the regular season vs. the Bears in 2012.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
kearly":1m0ehou4 said:
Well, personally I do not view Wilson as a true "game manager." It's a misnomer applied to him because of the low pass attempts, but the true definition of a game manager is a guy like Alex Smith who can only facilitate an offense but can't make explosive plays. Wilson is one of the best in the league at making explosive plays.

To be fair he actually says something like exceptional game manager which does make some sense in that Wilson more often than not is not being asked to take over a game. I think the exceptional part refers to the times he has been asked but in reality Pete wanted a point guard and that is often what Wilson is doing and being asked to do. He also qualifies it comparing him to young Brady who was also not asked to carry his team the way he is now as a rookie.

I agree the game manager tag has a negative connotation to it so we tend to want to debunk it because it implies he is not capable of more. We all know and even the writer acknowledges his game manager status is strictly tied to the game plan and not his ability.

What's odd to me is that nobody calls Kaepernick or RG3 game managers, and both are mobile QBs with low pass attempts. I think the label sticks to Wilson because the winning and good defense reminds people of past QBs like Johnson in Tampa, or Dilfer in Baltimore, or young Brady. But Wilson is no more of a game manager than any of the other elite QBs in the league. Ask him to throw 40 times and he will give you 300+ yards and multiple TDs.

The same can be said for Kaep who had even less pass attempts than Wilson last year and was also the benefactor of a good running game and defense. The difference is when asked to do more like in the NFCCG he has TO's on his last three drives to end and lose the game. Without Kaep's running ability his team would be forced to carry him constantly.

Low pass attempts does not equal game manager.

I think it does get viewed that way though because we are capable of winning games even if Wilson isn't asked to do any more than just dink and dunk. I don't personally see it that way but I can see why others might.

Also, I personally do not think young Brady was quite as stellar people make him out to be. The current Tom Brady is a couple notches higher in his game than the younger version was. Much faster in progressions, much better with timing, even his arm seems better at times.

Everyone seems to also forget Brady has played in the weakest division (outside of NE) his entire career. Every few years a team in that division will show signs of life but for the most part NE gets credited with 6 wins to the start of every season. That will do wonders for your stats.

I think Wilson is actually a better QB than Brady in a lot of ways, but he has glaring weaknesses and very good defenses in the division that now how to mercilessly attack those weaknesses. Get Wilson some better interior pass pro, get him a more sophisticated OC and have Pete relax his desire to lead the league in rushing % and Wilson will be an unquestioned MVP candidate with gaudy counting stats.

Personally I think it is much less to do with Bevel than it does his receiving options and protection. Pete sets the table for how the game is going to be called and Bevell executes it. If we had a better passing situation last year I think we would have seen significantly more passing. This is something I look forward to this year as I doubt we will lose all our best O-lineman through half the season along with our two best receivers. If we have some semblance of health on offense this year I think we see a huge leap forward statistically and otherwise for Wilson and our offense.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
BlueTalon":idy0qgnn said:
I have grown to really not care if people say Wilson is a "game manager", or that he can only win because our defense is awesome, or any other silly thing they might say. (Heck, on WebZone, there are people who claim they wouldn't put Wilson in the top half of NFL QB's -- they'd literally pick 16 QB's before they'd pick Wilson.) People are going to believe whatever stupid thing they choose to believe for whatever stupid reasons they choose.

And that means reality is going to sneak up on them and slap them. HARD. And that's really fun to watch.

I read that also and the other person who seconded it. The funny part is they make no attempt whatsoever to make that list because they know their own brethren would laugh them out of the forum.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Hawknballs":3m22yl8n said:
aaaaand he lost me at 'wilson has already played in two pro-bowls'

no he's played in one. He was voted to two. Is it too much to ask that a professional writer actually use their brain and edit themselves? I mean I get the point he's making but he seems to edit himself less than any of us edit our posts here and that is saying something - considering that is basically his job.

small things but annoys the crap out of me. get the simplest of facts right and state them correctly.

And I would argue he's been voted into one and played in one. He made one Pro Bowl due to another player backing out.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
The one pro bowl he played in he was robbed an MVP. Yea RW was a substitute but so was Rudolph. Also you can't tell me only one person can win MVP because 2013 had co - MVPs. Foles was good but not RW pro bowl good.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":3ace53lv said:
Don't know if it's the fact RW is a short black qb or that he plays in Seattle that so many stupid fans choosing to be ignorant of his accomplishments. If Luck had done what RW did in Seattle he'd be KING of the NFL now.
I'm very curious to see if Manziel gets the Russell Wilson treatment next year. He plays a similar game but has a bigger following and is a media favorite.
I wonder if Russell would have had a Manziel-like following had he played at an SEC school instead if NC state and Whiskey. The hype the SEC gets is crazy.

Of course there also could be some subtle racism in play here, though I'd like to think not.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
sc85sis":hj971vra said:
Russ Willstrong":hj971vra said:
I wonder if Russell would have had a Manziel-like following had he played at an SEC school instead if NC state and Whiskey. The hype the SEC gets is crazy.

Of course there also could be some subtle racism in play here, though I'd like to think not.
It isn't very subtle from where I sit. YMMV

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":1eaid183 said:

If Luck did the exact same thing with Seattle with the same stats and everything he would be talked about every single show on ESPN for months im sure. :pukeface:

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Can we stop with this game manager crap. Every QB in the league is a game manager, that's part of the job description of a QB. While plays are handed down from above he has to implement and adjust to what he sees in front of him. I think those that truly believe they know the game but do not, feel that a QB that does not throw the ball a certain number of times during a game is something less than a QB. They have assigned the "game manager" moniker to less than worthy QBs.

It drives me crazy! Crazy I tell ya!

BlueTalon

Reaction score
v1rotv2":qzew5jyh said:
Can we stop with this game manager crap. Every QB in the league is a game manager, that's part of the job description of a QB. While plays are handed down from above he has to implement and adjust to what he sees in front of him. I think those that truly believe they know the game but do not, feel that a QB that does not throw the ball a certain number of times during a game is something less than a QB. They have assigned the "game manager" moniker to less than worthy QBs.

It drives me crazy! Crazy I tell ya!
The problem isn't "we", it's "they". And "they" are not going to stop calling Wilson a game manager, precisely because it has become a derogatory term, and "they" include a lot of people who don't like the Seahawks.

I recommend my approach -- don't give a damn when people use the term, and live for the moments when people who called Wilson a game manager have their asses handed to them by a game manager.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Somehow we need to get Gruden to talk about this the next time the Hawks are on MNF. Can you just imagine the rant?

AgentDib

Reaction score
The true problem is the negative connotation to the "game manager" term in the first place. It's used to describe a player who has a high floor and a low ceiling, but the upper end on production has nothing to do with the lower end and is very likely positively correlated.

So many of the great QBs in the NFL have separated themselves through their ability to manage games well that the select few who did not earn the label of "gunslinger" to denote that their high playmaking potential was not paired with excellence in protecting the football.

Russell Wilson is an excellent game manager, and he does other stuff well too.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
He compared him to Tom Brady, but if Russell looks like anyone it's Joe Montana--dropped to the third round because he was supposedly "undersized', throws on the scramble just like Joe Cool--who actually was the best qb of all time.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":2nlq95d5 said:
He compared him to Tom Brady, but if Russell looks like anyone it's Joe Montana--dropped to the third round because he was supposedly "undersized', throws on the scramble just like Joe Cool--who actually was the best qb of all time.
That's debatable. Johnny U and Otto Graham (look him up, 7 championships in a 10 year career and made it to the championship game all 10 of those years) are definitely in the discussion. And Joe is too, for sure. Definitely subjective.

Anthony!

Reaction score
jlwaters1":1kzkrktf said:
Good points. I also get infuriated when I see people say- "RW is a game manager because he doesn't throw it 30+ times." The media has been on this narrative that this is a passing league, and any evidence to the contrary will be ignored.

The fact is yes, passing has gone up, but the best teams over the last few years have been "BALANCED" teams. Balanced teams are the most dangerous. Look @ Seattle, SF, and Carolina-- Solid QB's/ good running games & strong defenses. Those were the 3 best teams in the NFC last year.

Funny also in this article talking about BRady throwing it more AFTER winning 3 SB's. So let's get this straight with a balanced team Bill Billichick is able to win 3 Super Bowls, With a Pass first offense he's won 0. Yep that's what Seattle should strive for. PC makes it painfully obvious leading up to the Super Bowl that a team that is reliant on 1 player, makes winning harder, whereas If you can win in numerous ways you make yourself hard to beat. Hence RW, can have a bad game and the defense and special teams can pull it out.

To me the greatest comparison for Seattle and RW would be the 90's Cowboys with Aikman. Go pull up Aikman's career stats, there are shockingly modest. He had 1 year of 20+ TD's in his career (23), His best passing yards total was 3,445 (RW's 2nd year would rank 2nd in Aikman's career- 3,357), YET Aikman was EXTREMELY efficient. He made plays when they had to too win.

When you compare Dallas to Seattle it's quite amazing the similarities. Both Teams realied on a dominate RB, Both had strong defenses, Dallas had a better OL than Seattle. Seattle had the better secondary. Both QB's are extremely efficient and put their team in a position to win.

Thast a good comparison expect that in our case a large part of our running yards also come form Rw a little over 30%

HansGruber

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1l87nnu3 said:
Lords of Scythia":1l87nnu3 said:
That's debatable. Johnny U and Otto Graham (look him up, 7 championships in a 10 year career and made it to the championship game all 10 of those years) are definitely in the discussion. And Joe is too, for sure. Definitely subjective.

I've always had a hard time putting Otto Graham into that top category because he played in a segregated all-white football league that was nowhere near as athletic as today's NFL. They weren't even as athletic as today's high school game.

Latest posts