Chris Matthews Returned to Practice

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Chapow":2f3spaga said:
jammerhawk":2f3spaga said:
Chapow":2f3spaga said:
UGotHawked":2f3spaga said:
Cool. It would be nice to see him start living up to his considerable hype.

Wait...what? Considerable hype? He was undrafted out of college and later cut by the Browns at the end of training camp. He played in the arena league and the CFL because he couldn't make an NFL roster. He was working at a Foot Locker store when he tried out for the Seahawks.

Anyway, looks like he already started living up to that "considerable hype" (seriously though, what?). He did alright last time he played in a meaningful game. 4 for 109 and a TD in the Super Bowl.

Just so you know this player was the CFL OROY and caught passes for more than 1200 yds. He does have a potentially high ability and flashed that in the SB, but expecting him to be the next big WR phenom is a stretch as he hasn't played many games as an NFL player. At the time he was tried out by the Seahawks he was on the roster of the Winnipeg Bombers CFL team.

He may have been augmenting his income working at Foot Locker b/c the CFL doesn't pay NFL money but I've never read that anywhere else.

Yeah, I was aware that he was the CFL OROY. That doesn't change the fact that he couldn't make an NFL roster until he got called up from the Seahawks practice squad well in to last season due to another players injury.

Granted, this is Wikipedia, but according to this he was not on the Winnipeg roster, he wasn't on any football teams roster, and he was working at Foot Locker when he was tried out by the Seahawks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Mat ... n_football)

I can't find anything that contradicts that and I've looked.

Matthews was not on the Bombers roster just like any player who's contract had expired. The Bombers were talking with him about him returning with a new deal. They wanted him back and their team pages indicated their congratulations to him after he was signed by the Seahawks but considerable disappointment in his loss.

seahawk Dan

Reaction score
Great News just take it easy do not Hurt it again tonight. Mathews is a big talent. Saw Mathews Play in Vancouver bc in the CFL he is a huge target with very good hands .

RussB

Reaction score
Awesome. Hope to see more of this
chris-matthews.gif

Anthony!

Reaction score
2Cool4School":13g99xsn said:
Awesome. Hope to see more of this
chris-matthews.gif

agreed with him and graham nto sure it can be stopped and thrown form the pocket hmm thought he could not do that

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
He needs to make the team because he's unstoppable on Madden 16

canfan

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1bbmfjcg said:
UGotHawked":1bbmfjcg said:
Cool. It would be nice to see him start living up to his considerable hype.

What kind dominance are you expecting?

Is anyone saying he's going to be the next Calvin Johnson or <insert any other 6'4+ elite WR here>?

Or perhaps just more the potential hype of a watered down, low target 2005 version of Joe Jurevicious.

I'm kind of thinking he's more like a Mike Williams minus the junk food habit

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Joe Jurevicious 2005
55 catches/84 targets, 694 yards, 12.6 ypc, 10 TDs

Mike Williams 2010
65 catches/110 targets, 751 yards, 11.3 ypc, 2 TDs

Both are 6-5, 220-230... Chris Matthews back in June said he was or working his way up to 230.

As you can see Jurevicious did more with less targets and I liken Chris Matthews to that affect. Make the most of the opportunities.

2005 Jurevicious was a deceptive downfield threat for Hasselbeck where as Mike Williams was the go-to possession WR.

The strength of Matthews' , right now, to me, fits the mold of deceptive downfield threat, someone with enough quickness to get a step on bigger DBs and the length to dominate smaller DBs for huge gains.

So when I say watered down, low target 2005 version, my projected production for Matthews is like 30-40 catches, 400-500 yards, 5-7 TDs.

Matthews does have an outside chance though if he can prove to be the mismatch nightmare he was in the Superbowl to continue a rather odd tradition of 6'4+, 215+ WRs putting in good years every 5 years since 2000.

Starting with Sean Dawkins who had 63 catches, 731 yards, and 5 TDs in 2000.