Common theme on every Lions forum rn????

rjdriver

Reaction score
You guessed it...

Why the hell didn't we draft Jaylen Carter when he fell to us???

Lol..

The comments are part and parcel to every single one of the threads I've perused. They read identical to what I continually read here.

Rabid fans are all so much alike.

OP
OP
rjdriver

rjdriver

Reaction score
My guess is “why didn’t Campbell just take the FGs?”

They are complaining that he ended regulation w/o going for the TD...

BUT

I wasn't asking.. I was serious. The big thing is Jaylen Carter. The posts are like identical to what I've read here the last week. Just thought it was funny.

calinator

Reaction score
They aren't wrong. Elite Defensive line players are the second most important position behind QBs. They can stop the run and eliminate passing games by themselves in a pass heavy league now. If Witherspoon and Carter were both to become elite I'd take Carter all day. If you can't get to the passer you're cooked.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
They aren't wrong. Elite Defensive line players are the second most important position behind QBs. They can stop the run and eliminate passing games by themselves in a pass heavy league now. If Witherspoon and Carter were both to become elite I'd take Carter all day. If you can't get to the passer you're cooked.
The thing with Carter is he had so many red flags, he could become a HOF player but equally likely he could be a total bust. He attitude to the combines put serious questions as to whether he would put the work in. How many snaps would he be able to play (currently only playing 50% of defensive snaps for the Eagles) and a hobby of racing cars is asking for an NFI. Carter's floor is MUCH lower than Witherspoon's.

calinator

Reaction score
The thing with Carter is he had so many red flags, he could become a HOF player but equally likely he could be a total bust. He attitude to the combines put serious questions as to whether he would put the work in. How many snaps would he be able to play (currently only playing 50% of defensive snaps for the Eagles) and a hobby of racing cars is asking for an NFI. Carter's floor is MUCH lower than Witherspoon's.
Good points. His character is very important. We've been burned on guys like that in the past. Can't stay away from trouble.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Can we cut the bs with Carter. He’s not even a Seahawk so I’m tempted to move this. If this is going to happen every week I’ll start locking the threads or moving to the NFL nation forums, Carter for us fans MIGHT BE shoulda coulda woulda didn’t mistake or MIGHT NOT BE. In the end it doesn’t matter and we can’t change that.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It absolutely is going to happen every week. In fact, when Spoon gave up that touchdown, I knew immediately people would be on the "this guy sucks" train.
It's like clockwork. His first ever game in the NFL. He made some plays, he made some mistake. No different than most players in their first ever game.
He also had TWO 4th down stops and made some damn good tackles. Let the kid learn and improve as the season goes on.

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score
After the whole Aldon Smith thing, I think the Seahawks were correct to pass on the guy. It may take a few years to see if the character flaws have been addressed.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good point. The shoulda, woulda, coulda game is boring. Philly may end up loving their guy, and we'll end up loving our guy.
It IS ok if both of them pan out.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Can we cut the bs with Carter. He’s not even a Seahawk so I’m tempted to move this. If this is going to happen every week I’ll start locking the threads or moving to the NFL nation forums, Carter for us fans MIGHT BE shoulda coulda woulda didn’t mistake or MIGHT NOT BE. In the end it doesn’t matter and we can’t change that.
I'm not pissed that we passed.

Never wanted the dude. Can't fix character.

Doesn't matter to some, but it does to me.

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
This team and coach isn't the right situation for him. The Eagles are probably the only team that could have taken a chance on him and not be effected if he flames out.
I dunno, seems to me that the Hawk's still have an incomplete defense, largely because of Malik McDowell flaming out like he did. That was a really big loss of draft capital in my opinion. Probably set this team back by years.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I dunno, seems to me that the Hawk's still have an incomplete defense, largely because of Malik McDowell flaming out like he did. That was a really big loss of draft capital in my opinion. Probably set this team back by years.

But McDowell is the exact reason why you don't draft Carter.

Yes we'd love a game wrecking DT. I'm hoping one day we'll get one. Just like I hope one day we'll get another Walter Jones or franchise QB. But since we drafted a CB I'm hoping he's another Sherman.

But as fans, you can't lambast Schneider for drafting McDowell and his red flags then say, he should have ignored even more serious red flags for Carter. That's being a bunch of hypocrites. You either accept players with mad skills and attitude problems or you take them off your board. Seahawks made a right decision IMO that may not work out for them. But the process was fine.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
It's pretty clear that many would rather complain about who the Hawks didn't take, instead of just pulling for the guy they DID take.

It's ridiculous because there's any number of all pros we didn't take that we could have. Draft is a crap shoot and you have to have a process that will eliminate potential flame outs. Carter was a freak with both the highest ceiling and lowest floor in the draft. I don't think the Hawks should take those guys but I also don't think they should settle for high floor low ceiling types. You have to set your bar. Carter didn't make that bar and he didn't for several other FO's. We and Detroit are not unique.