Common theme on every Lions forum rn????

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
But McDowell is the exact reason why you don't draft Carter.

Yes we'd love a game wrecking DT. I'm hoping one day we'll get one. Just like I hope one day we'll get another Walter Jones or franchise QB. But since we drafted a CB I'm hoping he's another Sherman.

But as fans, you can't lambast Schneider for drafting McDowell and his red flags then say, he should have ignored even more serious red flags for Carter. That's being a bunch of hypocrites. You either accept players with mad skills and attitude problems or you take them off your board. Seahawks made a right decision IMO that may not work out for them. But the process was fine.
Mad Dog -

You have me confused here. Are you supporting my point, or are you arguing against my point?

WmHBonney

Reaction score
This team and coach isn't the right situation for him. The Eagles are probably the only team that could have taken a chance on him and not be effected if he flames out.
Correct
The eagles have several of Carter's former Georgia teammates there to help out with the off the field question marks. It is as good as it gets for Carter in Philly.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
But as fans, you can't lambast Schneider for drafting McDowell and his red flags then say, he should have ignored even more serious red flags for Carter. That's being a bunch of hypocrites. You either accept players with mad skills and attitude problems or you take them off your boboarde.
This is exactly how I feel about it. You can't condemn JS+PC for McDowell and in the same breath condemn them for not taking Carter FOR THE SAME REASONS. It makes no sense.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I know Witherspoon got cooked on that flea flicker but I think he's going to be a great Seahawk. I'm not a scout but I've watched the Hawks for 40+ years and he has a special ingredient about him. He'll make players around him better.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Spoon is the man, a difference maker living out his dream, he's a natural. Like a Golden Tate, Tyler Lockett type of smooth athlete with a legitimate 6th sense. If the kid has that at the level of Polamalu like PC thinks he sees, he's going to be my throwback jersey choice I think.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
But as fans, you can't lambast Schneider for drafting McDowell and his red flags then say, he should have ignored even more serious red flags for Carter. That's being a bunch of hypocrites. You either accept players with mad skills and attitude problems or you take them off your board. Seahawks made a right decision IMO that may not work out for them. But the process was fine.

Apples and oranges for me.

You really have to take risks on players when you're drafting late 1st or early 2nd. That's why those players are available, they have either character or physical negatives that dropped their draft stock.

But top 5 pick? Nope, those guys should be a 5 out of 5 on traits, mental, physical and character.

So I get the hesitancy with Carter.........and as I've said a dozen times now he literally went to the best place possible to flourish and learn how to be a pro.

I sure hope we're still not having this debate 10 years from now, and Witherspoon shuts up all the "we should have drafted Carter" chicken littles. Cause it's already getting old.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I know Witherspoon got cooked on that flea flicker but I think he's going to be a great Seahawk. I'm not a scout but I've watched the Hawks for 40+ years and he has a special ingredient about him. He'll make players around him better.
He will be fine thank baby Jesus they're not putting him in the slot because he will work excellent with Woolen if we can get some pass rush. If not fully 5-12 simple really. Jalen Carter wasn't a fit for anyone in the 1st round except Philadelphia so get over it and shut the **** up and move on to what we actually need to do....which is draft a ******* QotF already. I'm so over 9-8 or 8-9 and Pete with all the power and his bullshit mantra and terrible defenses.

Please do prove me wrong.

Last edited:

morgulon1

Reaction score
He will be fine thank baby Jesus they're not putting him in the slot because he will work excellent with Woolen if we can get some pass rush. If not fully 5-12 simple really. Jalen Carter wasn't a fit for anyone in the 1st round except Philadelphia so get over it and shut the **** up and move on to what we actually need to do....which is draft a ******* QotF already.
Like someone else said , " you could say this every draft."

I'm glad they didn't take Carter. Something about the dude. I wish him well but I'm glad Schneider wasn't so desperate he'd take a guy who at any given moment could totally take your organization down a bad path. The NFL is littered with guys that had such unique talent that GMs were/are willing to put their jobs and a teams future on the line.
It only takes one night of partying, one bad decision, one meltdown .

Witherspoon is a bad dude and he's going to get better.

I just wish this defense would get everyone on the field at the same freaking time.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Like someone else said , " you could say this every draft."

I'm glad they didn't take Carter. Something about the dude. I wish him well but I'm glad Schneider wasn't so desperate he'd take a guy who at any given moment could totally take your organization down a bad path. The NFL is littered with guys that had such unique talent that GMs were/are willing to put their jobs and a teams future on the line.
It only takes one night of partying, one bad decision, one meltdown .

Witherspoon is a bad dude and he's going to get better.

I just wish this defense would get everyone on the field at the same freaking time.
We will and I want to believe Jamal is what everyone says he is and will play again but I just don't think it happens at this point.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I think Adams plays within the next couple of weeks. I'm curious if he'll be able to play at the level before he was injured. I wish him all the best.

knownone

Reaction score
Anyone seriously condemning Pete and John for McDowell is reaching. McDowell got into a freakish ATV accident. Was that caused by his predraft red flags of a lack of work ethic and leadership? I doubt it. And even saying it sounds silly.

Whether people wanted Carter or not doesn't bother me. However, the fact that some people compare his situation to McDowell's tells me they don't know anything about Carter as a player or what happened off the field. Malik was a developmental prospect with significant character concerns: work ethic, coachability, and leadership. Carter was an elite NFL-ready prospect tangentially involved in a tragic accident and handled the aftermath poorly.

pmedic920

Reaction score
They aren't wrong. Elite Defensive line players are the second most important position behind QBs. They can stop the run and eliminate passing games by themselves in a pass heavy league now. If Witherspoon and Carter were both to become elite I'd take Carter all day. If you can't get to the passer you're cooked.
But if you have good enough backfield players it doesn’t matter how much time the QB has.

Balance, continuity, communication and Chemistry is more important than an awesome pass rush (IMO).

Mase

Reaction score
-- I read someone say "I wish him well." I don't. This coward sped off home, when two friends were killed, to cover his own @$$ because he knew what he was doing was wrong. COWARD. You really want THAT in the huddle with you.
-- I have no problem with the Hawks passing on some "talent" if it means I can have players worth cheering for.

Rant over..

Mase

ivotuk

Reaction score
He was racing through traffic and in a residential area over 100mph. I've raced at over 100mph, but out of town with no traffic.
No matter how you look at it, Carter was involved in the death of several people. He had a brand new $90,000 car, racing against an old University owned SUV. AND, he was at the strip club with the driver, and had to know she had been drinking.

I'm not willing to draft Henry Ruggs the 2nd.

morgulon1

Reaction score
-- I read someone say "I wish him well." I don't. This coward sped off home, when two friends were killed, to cover his own @$$ because he knew what he was doing was wrong. COWARD. You really want THAT in the huddle with you.
-- I have no problem with the Hawks passing on some "talent" if it means I can have players worth cheering for.

Rant over..

Mase
I don't wish malice on people. He messed up , just like every other human
On this planet. Seattle bet on him not panning out and that's good enough for me.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
It absolutely is going to happen every week. In fact, when Spoon gave up that touchdown, I knew immediately people would be on the "this guy sucks" train.
It's like clockwork. His first ever game in the NFL. He made some plays, he made some mistake. No different than most players in their first ever game.
He also had TWO 4th down stops and made some damn good tackles. Let the kid learn and improve as the season goes on.
Yep, Spoon (the Seahawk) needs time to meld, and grow his craft with Riq Woolen & the others.

knownone

Reaction score
He was racing through traffic and in a residential area over 100mph. I've raced at over 100mph, but out of town with no traffic.
No matter how you look at it, Carter was involved in the death of several people. He had a brand new $90,000 car, racing against an old University owned SUV. AND, he was at the strip club with the driver, and had to know she had been drinking.

I'm not willing to draft Henry Ruggs the 2nd.
Let's be clear. Henry Ruggs had a BAC twice the legal limit when his accident happened. Jalen Carter wasn't intoxicated. The reckless driving occurred in moments; we know this from the pieced-together security footage: one car sped away, the other tried to pass them, and within thirty-sixty seconds, the accident occurred. Similarly, the driver was drunk and wasn't wearing a seatbelt. So, is he really Henry Ruggs the 2nd?

Rant over..

Mase

Jalen Carter did not speed away to cover his ass. That's patently false. We know that from the 911 call immediately after the crash. He eventually left, by the urging from someone at the scene (also in the 911 call), but came back to answer questions when contacted. It's worth mentioning that there was absolutely nothing he could have done to change the situation.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Anyone seriously condemning Pete and John for McDowell is reaching. McDowell got into a freakish ATV accident. Was that caused by his predraft red flags of a lack of work ethic and leadership? I doubt it. And even saying it sounds silly.

Whether people wanted Carter or not doesn't bother me. However, the fact that some people compare his situation to McDowell's tells me they don't know anything about Carter as a player or what happened off the field. Malik was a developmental prospect with significant character concerns: work ethic, coachability, and leadership. Carter was an elite NFL-ready prospect tangentially involved in a tragic accident and handled the aftermath poorly.

Work Ethic and maturity were exactly Carters red flags. Even coaches didn’t vouch for the guy. The only difference really was talent level. Which is why Carter went higher than Macdowell. But both has the same character concerns.

BASF

Reaction score
Let's be clear. Henry Ruggs had a BAC twice the legal limit when his accident happened. Jalen Carter wasn't intoxicated. The reckless driving occurred in moments; we know this from the pieced-together security footage: one car sped away, the other tried to pass them, and within thirty-sixty seconds, the accident occurred. Similarly, the driver was drunk and wasn't wearing a seatbelt. So, is he really Henry Ruggs the 2nd?

Jalen Carter did not speed away to cover his ass. That's patently false. We know that from the 911 call immediately after the crash. He eventually left, by the urging from someone at the scene (also in the 911 call), but came back to answer questions when contacted. It's worth mentioning that there was absolutely nothing he could have done to change the situation.
I have pointed these things out, the posters will ignore it to support their stance. I have also pointed out that seeing friends die like that changes a person in almost every instance, which they also ignore.